Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Oh dear. Clarke knew from his time at Liverpool that if a team comes to Anfield and sits back soaking up the pressure and not having a shot in 80 minutes, then they'll probably win.

Maybe we should try that tactic since it works so well for everyone else?

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a gem off RAWK. I'm sure this isn't the view here, but I'm also sure some of you do feel this way:

I've said for a few seasons now that Man Utd have a average team with like two decent players yet they still go on and dominate the league, Lets look ...

De Gea ... Not much differance between him and Reina

Evra ... Hardly a awesome left back i'd prefer Enrique

Rafael ... He is garbage and Johnson is far better

Vidic ... Very solid but can make big mistakes ... But isnt Skrtel?

Rio ... Getting on a bit and just stays at the back heading and playing simple balls ... Agger is better IMO

Valencia ... Tons of pace and just gets to the line and crosses 90% of the time ... Downing isnt far off if not the same

Giggs ... Drifts around the pitch can be a danger but isnt the world beater he was once ... Sterling is raw but will come good

Carrick ... Does simple things well thats about it ... Allen? Lucas?

Jones ... Also i just dont see this kid being anything special just raw ... Henderson? ... Also Gerrard is far better than him and car sick.

Van persie ... Deadly in front of goal one of the best in the world ... Suarez??? ... Not much differance

Rooney ... Talented on his day but hardly a dominating player ... Sturridge can also be this.

So looking back ... How do they win the league and we struggle???

Some of our player are either on bad form, getting passed there sell by date or will never play in a top 4 prem team because they are not good enough.. Regaurdless if Rodgers is good enough a manager to take up to top 4 and keep us there surly the Success we have will depend on the quality of player we bring in over the next 3/4 years? But quality = big transfer fee's and large wages, will we ever compete on that level considering we are going to spend millions on the ground?

like I have said before, the squad is just simply not better then what the results show, and as such there is very little chance to improve notably on last years results this season

I have seen Liverpool a fair few times this season and frankly their squad is very average. The 'on paper' team seems to come from a few years ago and the likes of Agger, Gerrard (still playing well mind but declining from where he was), Skrtel, Reina etc. are not the players they were. Suarez is the only thing really keeping you top half IMO. If he goes, which is looking likely with no champions league this year you have Gerrard. Squad overhaul is needed, I think many of your players think they are better than they are playing and the fact you have yet to beat a top half team shows they aren't. Even Saints got that monkey off our back against Man City and we are in a relegation dog fight.

We've not exactly been playing with the same back 4 all season, and that really does make a huge difference especially with a new manager and new way of playing. That along with Reina blunders and Lucas being injured.

Agger is fine and really don't want him to go, Skrtel hasn't been. Coates hasn't really stepped up, Wilson doesn't look like he's progressing and Carra is retiring.

So a new GK and new CB in the summer, along with a replacement for Downing and a backup for Lucas, and then just some more time to adjust and tweak tactics.

Work rate wasnt the problem yesterday, We played very well in the regard and pressed West Brom all over the park, resulting in them conceding possession regularly. We didn't get 68% possesion from sitting back and being lazy.

The main problem I saw was despite all the possession we gave it away far too easily, especially the full-backs and Shelvey. Also the the lack of players getting into the box was an issue at times, especially on the break.

Never mind guess we can thrash Swansea at the week end and put smiles back on the bipolar faces ;)..

Swansea are in the top 10 so we will get a draw at best :p

Huge overreaction in here. Was just one of those games. On another day we'd have won by four. Foster was amazing.
Would be fair analysis if 'one of those games' hadn't already happened a dozen times this season. It's something more.

Passing teams to death is fine if all the players in and around the team are good enough to do so. We clearly are not. We aren't as bad as some are making out nor are we as good as some people think we are. Players who don't fit into Rodgers way of playing will be shipped out, that there is no doubt. He can't do it in 2 transfer windows though.

Our position in the league is no better than last season but our wage bill is vastly reduced so its progress, just more obvious off the pitch than on it.

I know it would be difficult to go through racism during a football match, but I would love for them to just ignore it, score a goal and then tell the fans where to stick it.

I think I'd mark out.

RESULTS COMPARISON CHART 2012/13

Reading = Bolton
Southampton = Blackburn
West Ham = Wolves

Last season	This season 	Pts	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18/08/2012 West Brom v Liverpool        W 0-2           L 3-0 		-3	
26/08/2012 Liverpool v Man City         D 1-1           D 2-2 		-3	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/09/2012 Liverpool v Arsenal          L 1-2           L 0-2           -3
15/09/2012 Sunderland v Liverpool       L 1-0           D 1-1           -2
23/09/2012 Liverpool v Man Utd          D 1-1           L 1-2           -3
29/09/2012 Norwich v Liverpool          W 0-3           W 2-5           -3
06/10/2012 Liverpool v Stoke            D 0-0           D 0-0           -3   
20/10/2012 Liverpool v Reading          W 3-1           W 1-0           -3
27/10/2012 Everton v Liverpool          W 0-2           D 2-2           -5
04/11/2012 Liverpool v Newcastle        W 3-1           D 1-1           -7
11/11/2012 Chelsea v Liverpool          W 1-2           D 1-1           -9
17/11/2012 Liverpool v Wigan            L 1-2           W 3-0           -6
24/11/2012 Swansea v Liverpool          L 0-1           D 0-0           -5
28/11/2012 Tottenham v Liverpool        L 4-0           L 2-1           -5
01/12/2012 Liverpool v Southampton      D 1-1           W 1-0           -3
08/12/2012 West Ham v Liverpool        	W 0-3           W 2-3           -3
15/12/2012 Liverpool v Aston Villa     	D 1-1           L 1-3           -4
22/12/2012 Liverpool v Fulham           L 0-1           W 4-0           -1
26/12/2012 Stoke v Liverpool            L 1-0           L 3-1           -1
29/12/2012 QPR v Liverpool             	L 3-2           W 0-3           +2
01/01/2013 Liverpool v Sunderland       D 1-1           W 3-0           +4
12/01/2013 Man Utd v Liverpool          L 2-1           L 2-1           +4
19/01/2013 Liverpool v Norwich          D 1-1           W 5-0           +6 
30/01/2013 Arsenal v Liverpool          W 0-2           D 2-2           +4 
02/02/2013 Man City v Liverpool         L 3-0           D 2-2           +5
09/02/2013 Liverpool v West Brom        L 0-1           L 0-2           +5    
23/02/2013 Liverpool v Swansea         	D 0-0             
02/03/2013 Wigan v Liverpool           	D 0-0             
09/03/2013 Liverpool v Tottenham        D 0-0             
16/03/2013 Southampton v Liverpool      W 2-3             
30/03/2013 Aston Villa v Liverpool      W 0-2             
06/04/2013 Liverpool v West Ham        	W 2-1             
13/04/2013 Reading v Liverpool          L 3-1             
20/04/2013 Liverpool v Chelsea          W 4-1             
27/04/2013 Newcastle v Liverpool        L 1-2             
04/05/2013 Liverpool v Everton          W 3-0             
12/05/2013 Fulham v Liverpool           L 1-0             
19/05/2013 Liverpool v QPR              W 1-0             

Yeah cos thats what every fan wants, good business figures...

i'm gonna go support ici or shell starting from next season!!!

To rebuild from where we were, needed use to put the club on a sound financial footing. Especially after the splurge under Dalglish era. We have chopped about £25m from the wage bill. That's a significant amount of money, and will help us rebuild going forward. We have a good core of young talent now, and hopefully can add some really quality in the summer annf freshen up those who are going stale.

Turning round a club like ours which was bloated on wages and punching below its weight in terms of money spent on that and transfers, is not an overnight project and a blood-letting was needed. It was similar for the Souness era, the difference being this time is I think we have done a much more sensible job of things this time.

To rebuild from where we were, needed use to put the club on a sound financial footing. Especially after the splurge under Dalglish era. We have chopped about £25m from the wage bill. That's a significant amount of money, and will help us rebuild going forward. We have a good core of young talent now, and hopefully can add some really quality in the summer annf freshen up those who are going stale.

Turning round a club like ours which was bloated on wages and punching below its weight in terms of money spent on that and transfers, is not an overnight project and a blood-letting was needed. It was similar for the Souness era, the difference being this time is I think we have done a much more sensible job of things this time.

Thats all well and good but the reality is the manager isn't good enough and experienced enough to cope with the clubs expectations and that is ultimately what is costing us. No matter how you dress it up, with the players we have and the money he has had to spend we should have many more points in the league and should not be losing in the cups at home to Swansea and away to Oldham.

Like Dalglish last year, a championship winner, who spent more money and had a bigger experienced squad; but had done worse than Rodgers domestically.
that is debatable since you will probably finish around the same place and got dumped out of the cups very early, chances are you will not be in any european competition next year due to the form being displayed in domestic competitions

Haven't been on much as I'm out of the country so not just coming in to moan about the west brom game. Very disappointing that we didn't build on two good away draws. Becoming very frustrating to watch now, with Sturridge being cup tied we will probably go out of the Europa v Zenit if not probably the next round. Difficult to see what Borini does, I thought he was a striker? 9th in the league is where we deserve to be at the minute, on the one hand Rodgers deserves some praise, our form against sides in the bottom ten has been really good this season, a big improvement and an area that we needed to address from as far back as Rafa's reign. The question is how long can he fail against the top sides? Id give him one more year to prove it but he needs to improve big time against them. Otherwise we won't climb the table the way we all wish.

the way i see it, the players on the pitch should have been capable of coming out of that at worst 0-0. stupid individual mistakes and soft goals have bee our undoing for too long now and while i do believe rodgers is to blame for some results this season i cant blame him for monday.

one week its agger costing us points, then the next skrtel, after that enrique will **** it up somehow followed by reina....

just get rid of them all. cant be done in one window but i'd like to think rodgers would identify our weakest links as cb and lb for this next window and do something about it.

If one player (say Reina) is making a lot of mistakes, blame the player.

If a whole bunch of players are making regular mistakes (Reina, Agger, Enrique, Skrtel, Allen etc), then you have to look at the coaching or man management.

Thats all well and good but the reality is the manager isn't good enough and experienced enough to cope with the clubs expectations and that is ultimately what is costing us. No matter how you dress it up, with the players we have and the money he has had to spend we should have many more points in the league and should not be losing in the cups at home to Swansea and away to Oldham.

That's ridiculous and you know it. Seriously, that reads like the sort of stupid soundbite I'd expect to read on RAWK. Dalglish managed worse in the league and spent far more. Have some patience instead of expecting stupid things just 8 months into a manager's employment.

If one player (say Reina) is making a lot of mistakes, blame the player.

If a whole bunch of players are making regular mistakes (Reina, Agger, Enrique, Skrtel, Allen etc), then you have to look at the coaching or man management.

Or alternatively you're looking at a group of players who are unable to evolve to the tactics and as a result need to look elsewhere.

Lucas was the best player for us without a doubt. And had Stevie buried the pen we would've won the game, I think people claiming that it's the players alone costing us points are naive. As has been said when it's a mixture you have to look at the management. Agger looked top class at the euros and at his best is a brilliant centre half, him losing his man isn't usual. I always think back to some of his performances under Rafa in the champions league, top players don't lose their ability.

So at the end of the season, in pure FM style who do you think/want to see leaving us, and which positions would you like to see addressed?

Obviously Carragher is already in the outs column, but as well as him I'd like to see:

OUTS

Keepers: Jones to be let go. Out of his depth here, move him on to a champ club. Quite sad to say, but I'm completely not arsed whether Reina stays or goes. The best reason to put forward for keeping him is so that we don't have to shell out on 2 keepers in the summer.

Defence: Flanagan sold. Would rather keep Agger and Skrtel around. Coates too, though he desperately needs games somehow. A year out on loan would do him wonders. A loan for Robinson would be good too.

Midfield: Downing to be sold. He might have improved lately but he's still only an incredibly average winger. Perhaps a loan for Suso as I can't see him getting too many games atm. I don't want to see him leave, but Assaidi has had virtually no game time and doesn't look like getting much in the future, so I guess he'll be off.

Strikers: Borini has been a failure. Ship him off. He's not cut out for this level. Pray to god that West Ham really do have to follow through with their Carroll bid.

INS

A new keeper (Begovic? Vorm? Muslera?), centre back, winger (again) are musts. We'd still need more striker depth and a top class left back would be lovely.

Archived