Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Two times his week we should have had the game buried and its not even the weekend. An away goal was vital tonight and we had 4 good chances but failed. Just not good enough.

Echo the thoughts of others in here, we seem to get punished for one mistake and some players just aren't up to the task. Another decent performance for 60 odd minutes but its not good enough. Pity.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they didn't buy a decent keeper through all their troubles there, and Sczency has been as good as Reina this season, not sure Wenger will go drop that much money on him.

think Courtois might well go on loan again.

Think the words you're looking for are 'much better than'.

You turned down 20 million for Reina from us a few seasons ago. Thank you for that.

Two times his week we should have had the game buried and its not even the weekend. An away goal was vital tonight and we had 4 good chances but failed. Just not good enough.

Absolutely, away goal was all that mattered against a team without much match practice and we failed. As per usual we miss chances and lose.

Depends on how highly you value playing in that competition you once won. Based on the previous page, a few of you value it quite highly.

Means to an end. For us being in the Champions League as a result of a fourth placed finish isn't the goal we're aiming for, but a step along the way.

Must have been fun losing to Zenit tonight though.

Probably just as enjoyable as it is losing to Bradford? Well, except we're actually in transition with a new manager, not just claiming to have been for years under the same one for all that time.

Means to an end. For us being in the Champions League as a result of a fourth placed finish isn't the goal we're aiming for, but a step along the way.

Probably just as enjoyable as it is losing to Bradford? Well, except we're actually in transition with a new manager, not just claiming to have been for years under the same one for all that time.

All to the same goal off winning the league i assume? Been going backwards steadily since Benitez finished 2nd.

So utterly predictable and Rodgers gets it wrong again. Can already see people saying it was the players fault as usual. As soon as I saw that Allen was playing in midfield I knew we had now chance. Would rather play a more natural defensive midfielder from rhe reserves than him. Just clinging to the hope that Rodgers can learn from his mistakes and improve for next season, somehow I doubt it.

Allen isn't a defensive midfielder, needs Lucas in behind him.

All Allen can really do is keep the ball moving. Get the ball, try and progress it 10 yards and repeat. Pitch tonight didn't really suit what he needed to do and added in a defensive role which he can't really perform.

Which is exactly why I would rather play a more natural defensive midfielder than him. Partly because he's useless and Henderson and Stevie are far better than him so don't want him in the team at all.

When you're going away from Europe you aim to keep it tight and try and get an away goal. Our club has done it for years and it's worked pretty well. Rodgers is either incapable or too stubborn to set us up to play on the break.

When you're going away from Europe you aim to keep it tight and try and get an away goal.

Seriously, where do clowns like yourself come up with this utter tripe? You don't approach every game the same way ffs. That's complete and utter tactical ignorance, but then you hardly seem the type to be able to pick up subtle nuances and adjustments from game to game, let alone in a match.

fully blame suarez for that. utter **** finishing.

not being able to finish chances yet again costs us. madness to think we've conceded 4 and scored 0 in the last two games. i know its obvious to say but if we score in either game first then both are completely different games, we had the chances in both and blew it.

get enrique out of the team. johnson left, wisdom right please, had enough of watching him be ****.

thought we played well overall tbf, sterling was anonymous though. unfortunate to concede to a wonder goal like that but as usual we seem to crumble as soon as things go against us. that first goal seems to be the deal breaker with us.

not being able to finish chances yet again costs us. madness to think we've conceded 4 and scored 0 in the last two games. i know its obvious to say but if we score in either game first then both are completely different games, we had the chances in both and blew it

That sums both games up well tbh. All this rubbish about Rodgers and tactics is just obfuscation. Sturridge in the team and I think both games are very different.

Enrique is like an Ox when defending. He was solid last night.
Thats not the problem with him thought. He have always been good and solid defensively, and there never was anything wrong with his workrate and commitment

the problem is his decision making on the ball and his passing

maybe we have became reliant on 1 player again, the new reliant Sturidge.. We are giving to many goals away, it's like we need to score 3 just to win a game, for that i blame Rodgers and his tactics, what was wrong in going away from home and grinding a 0-0 draw out? that was the Liverpool way of old and they dominated football for a decade!!!....

not being able to finish chances yet again costs us. madness to think we've conceded 4 and scored 0 in the last two games. i know its obvious to say but if we score in either game first then both are completely different games, we had the chances in both and blew it.

Not always the case though, we went 1-0 down against City, came back up to 2-1 and were playing extremely well, but Reina ****ed it up. Can't remember another game tbh where we've come back from a goal down, but we can do it.

No matter how you look at it, a draw last night would have been a fantastic result. It's only because we played reasonably well and created loads of chances that the defeat seems more galling. Which is in a weird way kinda positive.

maybe we have became reliant on 1 player again' date=' the new reliant Sturidge.. We are giving to many goals away, it's like we need to score 3 just to win a game, for that i blame Rodgers and his tactics, what was wrong in going away from home and grinding a 0-0 draw out? that was the Liverpool way of old and they dominated football for a decade!!!....[/quote']

Yeah, let's grind out 0-0s away from home, that will bring us the results we want...Jeeeeeesus.

We didn't grind out 0-0 draws in the 70s and 80s anyway. Besides the game as moved on immeasurably since then.

The Barcelona style of play 4-4-1-1 (or 4-6-0) is the style of now, and the dominant tactical set-up. Almost all teams use it these days, and few even play with 2 up top, whatever way they play.

Changing the manager again, just because we arent steamrolling every team in sight after 8 months of his "brand of football" is incredibly short-sighted. I think the problem is compounded by the fact that our must recent succesful manager, somehow lifted the Champions League after his 1st year in charge. Some of as a result are demanding almost instant success. It's unfair to expect it, especially from the cluster-**** of club he took over. High wages, bloated squad, tactically inept. Yes, we reached 2 cup-finals, we were good awful in both of them though.

Let him evolve the squad and see where we go. I don't for one minute think Rodgers is going to carry passengers. If players arent good enough, they will be moved on, and upgraded, but we can't just go and spend the best part £200m like certain other clubs. We have to cement a philiosphy and culture at the club and we have to slowly improve.

We didn't grind out 0-0 draws in the 70s and 80s anyway. Besides the game as moved on immeasurably since then.

The Barcelona style of play 4-4-1-1 (or 4-6-0) is the style of now, and the dominant tactical set-up. Almost all teams use it these days, and few even play with 2 up top, whatever way they play.

Changing the manager again, just because we arent steamrolling every team in sight after 8 months of his "brand of football" is incredibly short-sighted. I think the problem is compounded by the fact that our must recent succesful manager, somehow lifted the Champions League after his 1st year in charge. Some of as a result are demanding almost instant success. It's unfair to expect it, especially from the cluster-**** of club he took over. High wages, bloated squad, tactically inept. Yes, we reached 2 cup-finals, we were good awful in both of them though.

Let him evolve the squad and see where we go. I don't for one minute think Rodgers is going to carry passengers. If players arent good enough, they will be moved on, and upgraded, but we can't just go and spend the best part £200m like certain other clubs. We have to cement a philiosphy and culture at the club and we have to slowly improve.

:applause:

I wasn't Rodgers biggest fan when he was appointed, but it's fairly obvious sacking him in the summer is idiotic.

Also, we have spent £203 million in three years, which I don't know whether to laugh at or cry.

Yeah, let's grind out 0-0s away from home, that will bring us the results we want...Jeeeeeesus.

Think about it!! i never said play for a 0-0!? If you can't score then you do your best not to concede, I'm more than sure taking a 0-0 into the home leg would be more beneficial than a 0-2 result.. hence why i said 0-0 because we didn't score. It was also something Liverpool often did in Europe in the 70's and 80's as back then Anfield was difficult for away teams to get results..

Yes, including the boss.

He does supposedly have final say, but I guess what he is trying to say to the board, as that we need to sign players at their peak (with the extra cost involved). He is basically asking for some transfer funds.

Think about it!! i never said play for a 0-0!? If you can't score then you do your best not to concede' date=' I'm more than sure taking a 0-0 into the home leg would be more beneficial than a 0-2 result.. hence why i said 0-0 because we didn't score. It was also something Liverpool often did in Europe in the 70's and 80's as back then Anfield was difficult for away teams to get results..[/quote']

You really think we're strong enough to go away from home and keep a clean sheet? Add to that how vulnerable we look defensively at home. Almost guaranteed to concede an away goal. It'd be a suicide tactic!

Yes, including the boss.

He does supposedly have final say, but I guess what he is trying to say to the board, as that we need to sign players at their peak (with the extra cost involved). He is basically asking for some transfer funds.

To be fair to the owners they have shelled out around £37mill net spend on new players for Rodgers since he arrived last summer - thats a hefty outlay for a club outside the CL places.

Archived