Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You also get points for what other clubs from England do, so United reaching the CL final and Chelsea winning the CL actually scores you some points.

that's why i said the porto one would give us a feel as they won't have the same association multiplier we would have

i hadn't realised that they had adjusted the difference between the 2 competitions to such an extent. i'm pretty sure there was a time that while you got lesser points in the uefa, the gap was such that it made it worthwhile to pursue a run.

i'm gonna look further into this. on the face of it, a europa run doesn't seem to offer much incentive.

Still got the Europa League semi in there. A good run to the last 8 would be useful.

You don't want Man City style groups if and when we get back in the CL. The utter crapness in the Europa League is counting against them at the moment. It's why man Utd get good draws more often than not, seeding keeps them away from groups of death. Being top seed quality team in pot 2 or 3 is a nightmare. Or.... maybe that's what we want ;)

Sadly, we're not top seed quality anymore.

Certainly not on that level of difficulty. Then again, that is practically impossible. You will have to go back to the early-mid 2000's I would reckon to find a tricky group.

Funny how a team containing Poulsen and Babel cant beat Man City in the Champions League :D. I think the slower pace European style game suits them more than our league. Poulsen looked out of his depth with us but didnt look too bad tonight.

that's why i said the porto one would give us a feel as they won't have the same association multiplier we would have

i hadn't realised that they had adjusted the difference between the 2 competitions to such an extent. i'm pretty sure there was a time that while you got lesser points in the uefa, the gap was such that it made it worthwhile to pursue a run.

i'm gonna look further into this. on the face of it, a europa run doesn't seem to offer much incentive.

Nah it's definitely worth having a run. You actually get the same amount of pts for each win in the Europa League as in the Champions League you just get less pts for your actual final competition standing. The big thing is actually winning each game rather than just progressing, take for example Atletico Madrid's two recent Europa League wins:

09/10 Europa League Winners - 24.585 pts W2 D6 L1 (W2 D3 L3 in CL)

11/12 Europa League Winners - 34.171 pts W17 D1 L1

As you can see the different in pts is massive for the same final league position. Another way of showing the importance of winning is comparing Atletico and Chelsea from last season:

Chelsea CL winners - 33.050 pts W7 D4 L2

Atletico EL winners - 34.171 pts W17 D1 L1

As you can see Atletico actually got more pts than the CL winner despite playing in the Europa League by virtue of winning a ridiculous amount of games (and Chelsea being jammy/crap). Again another advantage to playing in the Europa League is that it gives you more games to play and as such more pts to be picked up by winning games.

Looking at the top 10 coefficients from last season:

1. Real Madrid (CL) 36.171 pts

2. Atletico Madrid (EL) 34.171

= Barcelona (CL) 34.171

4. Chelsea (CL) 33.050

= Bayern Munich (CL) 33.050

6. Athletic Bilbao (EL) 27.171

7. Valencia (EL) 25.171

8. Benfica (CL) 23.366

9. Sporting Lisbon (EL) 22.366

10. AC Milan (CL) 22.271

It seems that making a EL semi-final can still easily pick you up as many pts as a CL qtr-finalist, especially if you frequently win. Also worth noting that both the beaten semi-finalists in the CL got more pts than the winner/runner-up again showing how many pts winning games is worth.

I'd certainly argue it's worthwhile if you have any aspirations of being back in the CL, Atletico actually have the 8th highest overall coefficient and would be in Pot 1 despite having only made it to the last 16 of the CL once.

Good stuff G-Man11

I had started up on it. And I notice that the main difference of the CL is that you get 4 points for making the group stages compared to 2 for the Europa. And then the CL also gives you 4 points for making it into the last 16. This can be made up in the Europa by at least 2 points (2 draws) or all 4 points (2 wins)if you make it through the round of 32. I also read that in the Europa you get an extra point for progressing in the 1/4s, semis and final. I couldn't find something that suggested the same for the CL (though I find it difficult to believe such an incentive would exist in the Europa and not the CL).

All-in-all it points to your assertion that picking up the 2 points for games won becomes key. So yeah a run in Europa is good as you suggest.

Bib theory was this: Jones, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Gerrard, Sahin, Shelvey, Downing, Suarez, Assaidi.

Which I balked at 'cos:

- Gerrard struggles playing twice in a week, especially when the 2nd game is the Derby. We have fairly strong evidence for this. Didn't he also play for England last week?

- If we lose Suarez we are definitely ****ed, don't think I need to expand why here. He has a good injury record but he's played so much football recently and travelled loads.

- If we lose Johnson we are probably very likely a bit ****ed. I think Glen is our second most influential man in attack at the moment. Keeping him fit is pretty big imo. Which means resting him whenever we can because he don't have a perfect injury record and the guy always looks gassed to me at the end of every league 90. He covers so much ground on the charge.

- If we lose Agger it's a big blow. I don't really like the look of Skrtel + Coates at all. Agger is playing really well and gelling it together at times. We all know about his injury record.

- Henderson, Agger, Enrique aren't in the team and we need to keep giving them games. Keep them sharp.

All these things considered I hope the bib theory is false and we pick a second string tonight. I'll take going out of the EL but giving some important reserves a run out and being 100% fresh for Sunday.

bib theory always spot on. is it done by this jenkins bloke....??

i dont want us to go out of every comp for aslong as possible. its ok some suggesting playing the youth and getting knocked out isnt really a big deal, but surely using a mix of youth and first team is better for everyone and means more games all round.

i'd rather we played 75 games a season and not win anything than 38 plus the bare minimum in 2/3 cups for the same end result.

I wouldn't mind going out of the league cup early considering the timings of the matches but if scrape through to the later rounds by playing the backups then thats fine by me.

Archived