The Opening Match - Poland VS Greece (08/06/2012 17.00) BBC1

Baptista_8

I didn't see the first yellow, but I think the 2nd one was easily deserved. The guy was through on goal after the turn.

He got the first yellow for fairly winning a header.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poland look a decent enough team, that Dortmund combination of Piszczek, Blaszczykowski and Lewandowski has worked and created most of the chances

however the ref looks like a homer already, still have no idea what Papastathopoulos did for the first yellow. Even the replay couldn't even tell us, don't even think his push on the Poland player was a yellow either. Could have been a penalty to Greece but I reckon it might have been a bit harsh if it was given

I didn't see the first yellow, but I think the 2nd one was easily deserved. The guy was through on goal after the turn.

He would've gone down on his own more than likely, pretty much was falling into the defender. Not maliciously, it's just where he was falling to. Free kick, maybe. Second yellow? Never.

Damn, now everyone's going to be talking about the ref not the football.

Both yellows doubtful, we are extremely lucky (i want to believe it is just luck) Greece are down to 10 men.

Don't know about the penalty, by which I mean I don't know what the rule is. Perhaps an indirect FK for unintentionally handling it?

He slipped before the Greek even made contact with him.

Don't know about the penalty, by which I mean I don't know what the rule is. Perhaps an indirect FK for unintentionally handling it?

No, the ref got that spot on, nothing to give.

Looked to me like he was going nowhere, he'd already slipped over and lost the ball, just fell into the Greek defender.

I think the second yellow can be categorized as a professional foul. The penalty should have been given, though. Perquis fell. His risk if the ball hit his hands.

It is never a penalty. Referees give it if the hands are raised or similar, if their hands are down then it's not given. In this case, his arm is out but it's to stabilise him, it's supporting him, he had no choice but to put his arm there. It's not a penalty imo, at all.

Damn, now everyone's going to be talking about the ref not the football.

Both yellows doubtful, we are extremely lucky (i want to believe it is just luck) Greece are down to 10 men.

people mentioning the ref yes but I don't think anyone can deny Poland the lead. Greece's defence looks like it will conceed another at least in the 2nd half

Looked to me like he was going nowhere, he'd already slipped over and lost the ball, just fell into the Greek defender.

The second yellow? Defender has both hands on the Pole's shoulder and pushes him down ffs. Definite foul, 50/50 as to whether it's a yellow.

No such thing as an indirect free kick for handling.

Either you intentionally handle it (and it's a free kick/penalty) or it's not a foul at all. It's all about intent.

Just seen the first yellow card again, it's not even a bloody free kick ffs :D Neither is the second one! What the actual hell is this?

The second yellow? Defender has both hands on the Pole's shoulder and pushes him down ffs. Definite foul, 50/50 as to whether it's a yellow.

He touches the Pole. The Pole has already slipped and is on the way down. It's not a free kick, never mind a yellow card

Even if they did cover the game we are watching it would be crap punditry.

I'm more pissed off we have sent Jake and Shearer to Uraine so repeat what the guys in Salford are doing. The whole point in Linekar not going was to cut costs ffs

He touches the Pole. The Pole has already slipped and is on the way down. It's not a free kick, never mind a yellow card

Who's to say he is "on the way down"? The ball isn't loose, he could easily stay on his feet if he isn't touched.

Seriously what is the point in them being there????

Does it really matter? :D It's costing me and you about a penny each probably, if that. I'm sure sending only 2 people with a small group of people behind the scenes and no studio has saved a hell of a lot of money, when compared to sending a full team over.

It is never a penalty. Referees give it if the hands are raised or similar, if their hands are down then it's not given. In this case, his arm is out but it's to stabilise him, it's supporting him, he had no choice but to put his arm there. It's not a penalty imo, at all.

Still his fault. He chose to slide to get the ball. He should have done better with the sliding. If you slide and the ball gets to your hands, it's your fault, and it's not "ball-to-hand".

Does it really matter? :D It's costing me and you about a penny each probably, if that. I'm sure sending only 2 people with a small group of people behind the scenes and no studio has saved a hell of a lot of money, when compared to sending a full team over.

But what is the point? Why duplicate effort? All they've taught us is that it's sweaty and that Shearer has given up with his hair.

Archived