The Opening Match - Poland VS Greece (08/06/2012 17.00) BBC1

Baptista_8

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obraniak saw his name in lights there, selfish move.

Could have easily put the ball across goal for Lewandowski. Greece have started to control the game more and more, have a feeling they will score the winner close to the end.

Oof, Poland sure screwed that one up. Oh well, happy as long as Greece don't win. Sorry guys, don't really hate Greece but once was enough.

Samaras is such a bad player.

He can be pretty good on the wing (which is where he mostly plays for Celtic, hence his almost non-existent scoring record this season). Rubbish striker of course, Greece must be desperate to have to use him up front when he's not really good enough to play as a true striker in SPHell. He's not a bad player at all, he's just not really a striker.

I am unlucky I think, every time I see Szesczeny he looks a nervous, poor-decision-making, chaotic keeper.

I enjoyed that game tbh. Had it's boring moments but two clear better sides in each half. I did want Poland to win (had my Poland shirt on) but in the end I was happy with what I saw. Salpingidis really changed the game for Greece.

Good opener, low on quality but high on incident.

Draw probably the fairest result, pundits laying into Greece at HT but they really weren't that bad. Poland gave the ball away about 20 times even when they were supposedly bossing the game.

That's over for Poland I guess, no way we'll reach the quarters after not beating the weakest team in the group.

This group is very tight. No way you can cancel anybody out after one game.

Quite good match. The referee didn't help, though.

Poland didn't have ideas. The only idea they had is passing the ball to the flanks, giving crosses to the center, and hoping Lewandowski to do something. Szczęsny made two unforgivable mistakes and looked worryingly weak. Boenisch looked weak as well, and Perquis wasn't reliable. Going forward, Poland looked good, but they won't advance far without creativity. Lewandowski, though, is a great striker. Of course, credits for Tytoń.

Greece, as usual, relied on their thought-to-be-solid-and-discipline lineups. Chalkias is, though, already old, and he can't reach the highest point anymore. Holebas and Avraam Papadopoulos were weak. On the other hand, Greek still had the typical deadly counter-attack. It's a pity that Karagounis missed such a penalty. Salpigidis was inspiring. Greek should thank him for that.

Rightfully so, that was ridiculous, I'd be fuming too.

Whilst both teams ended up with Ten men, the Polish sending off was deserved whereas ours was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen at this level. Plus, ours occurred a lot earlier in the game.

That being said, I don't want to complain too much. On to the next game, in which I hope Salpingidis (who should have taken the missed penalty) ,and the 19 year old Fortounis starts. These two players will make us more positive.

Whilst both teams ended up with Ten men, the Polish sending off was deserved whereas ours was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen at this level.

Last defender already at yellow card pushing down another player going by him and getting carded isn't ridiculous, seriously.

Typical game of Poland, start high, end low, good first half, terrible second. Greece impressed me with their second half display, well done, and both of the players you mentioned (especially Salpingidis) were amongst best on the pitch.

Last defender already at yellow card pushing down another player going by him and getting carded isn't ridiculous, seriously.

Typical game of Poland, start high, end low, good first half, terrible second. Greece impressed me with their second half display, well done, and both of the players you mentioned (especially Salpingidis) were amongst best on the pitch.

Get real. The player fell into Sokratis. He was already on his way down before contact was even made. Just about every unbias media outlet has called it out as two terrible decisions.

I'm not accusing the player of diving at all, I am accusing the referee of being useless.

Archived