Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

6 hours ago, sebva said:

My question is: What would be the best striker role to take advantage of the physical striker exluded the Target Man role (which has downsides to it)? 
I like to think of him as my main goalscorer and finisher in the final third. 

If we are talking solely about roles and duties (without taking other tactical settings into account), my personal preference in your system would be a PF on support. Or PF on attack, but then I'd change the RW (AMR)'s duty to support.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, axelmuller said:

explain "exploit the middle" shout. Why the fullbacks dont go forward when using that shout. I would like to play Barcelonismo or Sarri-ball or that kinda ball you know.

Why would the fullbacks be supposed to go forward in relation to the "Exploit the Middle" shout?  :idiot:

The shout (team instruction) has nothing to do with the FBs going forward.

43 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Why would the fullbacks be supposed to go forward in relation to the "Exploit the Middle" shout?  :idiot:

The shout (team instruction) has nothing to do with the FBs going forward.

it seems that there is something to do with it

i mean when im putting on that shout then fullbacks suddenly just stop going forward

middle.thumb.jpg.2a2ce53b060acaecfbf732db9c80ff7c.jpg

in this picture, exploit the middle is on. they just stand in there with no intention to get forward at all. both Fabio and Friend have get forward whenever possible ppm

1718368780_noexploit1.thumb.jpg.2cac0d3b87f47c63d383b06538bdfff8.jpg

in this picture, no exploit the middle shout. look at fabio positioning here.

1269121687_noexploit.thumb.jpg.744624c6652bd8eff03a65016839d82f.jpg

and there he is making something happen. with no shout on.

is it only usable shout when playing Inverted Wing Backs and not traditional full backs ?

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If we are talking solely about roles and duties (without taking other tactical settings into account), my personal preference in your system would be a PF on support. Or PF on attack, but then I'd change the RW (AMR)'s duty to support.

Thank you for the advice, currently trying PF on attack and it seems to work the way I want! 

4 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

it seems that there is something to do with it

i mean when im putting on that shout then fullbacks suddenly just stop going forward

middle.thumb.jpg.2a2ce53b060acaecfbf732db9c80ff7c.jpg

in this picture, exploit the middle is on. they just stand in there with no intention to get forward at all. both Fabio and Friend have get forward whenever possible ppm

1718368780_noexploit1.thumb.jpg.2cac0d3b87f47c63d383b06538bdfff8.jpg

in this picture, no exploit the middle shout. look at fabio positioning here.

1269121687_noexploit.thumb.jpg.744624c6652bd8eff03a65016839d82f.jpg

and there he is making something happen. with no shout on.

is it only usable shout when playing Inverted Wing Backs and not traditional full backs ?

In fact, they are going forward, but more cautiously, which is good. Because Exploit the Middle increases the mentalities of central players, thus making them more attack-minded, so your fullbacks realize they should not be bombing forward as much, because if they did, the team would become very vulnerable defensively (with so many forward-running players at the same time). Just look at the positions of your central players when the shout is on and compare them to when it's off, and you'll see that the fullbacks are actually making the right decision. 

6 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

In fact, they are going forward, but more cautiously, which is good. Because Exploit the Middle increases the mentalities of central players, thus making them more attack-minded, so your fullbacks realize they should not be bombing forward as much, because if they did, the team would become very vulnerable defensively (with so many forward-running players at the same time). Just look at the positions of your central players when the shout is on and compare them to when it's off, and you'll see that the fullbacks are actually making the right decision. 

well that makes a lot of sense, thank you for the answer

How do I stop this from happening ? 

Both are just normal CD/d, no special PIs - tactic is a 442 with a mid-block, meaning I have an Offside trap, tight marking, extremely urgent pressing and prevent GK with a Much Higher DL and Much Lower LOI

What PIs for the CD do I need to pop in for them to not do something this dumb.

If the screenshots are not easy to see what happens, it's a counter on me - my CD loses the aerial duel on the wing but I still don't think it's right for my other CD to just CHARGE towards them and leave someone THAT free.

img1.thumb.png.1ed7f7e232c80c8025b4db9cb9710723.png

img2.png.b1c1e8b6f2a8a0d64a58acc3cf32bc51.png

img3.thumb.png.56782a9cc512d17180ac179114f92d12.png

2 hours ago, johangod said:

with a mid-block, meaning I have an Offside trap, tight marking, extremely urgent pressing and prevent GK with a Much Higher DL and Much Lower LOI

As far as I know. that's not a "mid-block". But apart from that, I would assume that the cause of your problem with the CBs is exactly the combination of extremely urgent pressing and Much Higher DL.

32 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

As far as I know. that's not a "mid-block". But apart from that, I would assume that the cause of your problem with the CBs is exactly the combination of extremely urgent pressing and Much Higher DL.

Yeah, I might have the mid block part wrong - presumed the combination of high dl / low loi was a mid block.

But I guess that makes sense, also could be my fullbacks on WB/s bombing forwards as this came from a deep throw-in for me - still I've seen that exact thing happen more than once so figured I'd ask.

5 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Can you no longer define how deep your team sits when you are in attack? My team is too compressed, but I no longer see how to solve this problem.

Can you post a screenshot of your tactic to begin with? Because otherwise we can only speculate as to where the problem potentially lies.

7 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Can you post a screenshot of your tactic to begin with? Because otherwise we can only speculate as to where the problem potentially lies.

I'm more just wondering how you modulate where your players now stand up the pitch, more than anything else. For example, in FM18 you could set a deeper D-line to draw your entire team further down the pitch. Since the game is split into attacking, defending, and transition, I am not really sure how to replicate this behaviour. Hence, when I feel that I am too advanced, it is not longer immediately obvious to me how to adjust. Is this now encoded into the mentality? 

In general I am finding the new tactics module a lot less intuitive (or I am just not used to it). 

44 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I'm more just wondering how you modulate where your players now stand up the pitch, more than anything else. For example, in FM18 you could set a deeper D-line to draw your entire team further down the pitch. Since the game is split into attacking, defending, and transition, I am not really sure how to replicate this behaviour. Hence, when I feel that I am too advanced, it is not longer immediately obvious to me how to adjust. Is this now encoded into the mentality? 

In general I am finding the new tactics module a lot less intuitive (or I am just not used to it). 

Like in FM18, mentality still affects everything, so a deeper d-line on a higher mentality will be proportionally higher than on a lower one. But overall behavior of your players has to do with a lot more than just mentality and/or d-line/LOE settings. Formation, roles, duties (plus other team instructions) will all play an important part.

17 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

So does the defensive line settings from the defensive setup feed through the attacking setup? Or are these two things now entirely separate?

They are not separate, as they've never been. Everything is interrelated, like in real-life football. Your defensive (out of possession) settings will have an effect not just on how you defend, but also on the way your team is attacking (especially in transition phases), and vice versa. 

10 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

They are not separate, as they've never been. Everything is interrelated, like in real-life football. Your defensive (out of possession) settings will have an effect not just on how you defend, but also on the way your team is attacking (especially in transition phases), and vice versa. 

Cheers, it was not clear how things fed through into each other with the new layout. 

OK, so stupid question :

I have tried to setup my own training schedules. Earlier I let my ass man do it. 

now my players get lower ratings for training. When ass man did the training I saw a lot of 10s, now the highest is just above 8.

is this an indication that my schedule is worse than my ass man's? 

3 hours ago, JavierChicharito14 said:

If I neither select Counter-Press or Regroup,

What will happen?

Nothing. Players will stick to the pressing instructions defined within the out-of-possession section. If you use the counter-press, players are trying to win the ball back immediately after it's been lost. If you don't use it, they'll behave according to the pressing levels set for the out of possession (defensive) phase of play. The same goes for regroup.

10 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Anyone tried or saw a test somewhere where someone put young player to first team and give him a chance to play either as a substitute or from 1st minute with weak opponents how will they develop vs keeping a player in young team and let him train and play only there?

Not seen a test but it's been stated before that from 18+ a player's development prioritises match experience over training (though both are still important). However this is playing at an appropriate level. Players will still develop on the youth team but the poorer quality of the matches (at youth/reserve level) they are playing will see a slower development than if they play in the first team or go out on loan (which has it's own problems with lack of control).

Edited by Cal585

since i m kinda tired/bored to watch almost all the crosses from my WBs (i play a 3-5-2) being blocked by one way or another by the opposition defenders, i was wondering if i could use ''underalp'' to reduce the number of crosses  by providing to my WBs the option of a short pass to the nearest MC (in a mezzala, btb,carrilero role probably?)

Is this making any sense?

6 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Not seen a test but it's been stated before that from 18+ a player's development prioritises match experience over training (though both are still important). However this is playing at an appropriate level. Players will still develop on the youth team but the poorer quality of the matches (at youth/reserve level) they are playing will see a slower development than if they play in the first team or go out on loan (which has it's own problems with lack of control).

What about putting them to the 1st team so they would get their  training and make them available to play for U-19 or B team?

E: Or what about like average or good training facilities and 1st team when they are loaned vs Valencia's very good or great training facilities + 4/5 star coaches with less matches?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

12 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

What about putting them to the 1st team so they would get their  training and make them available to play for U-19 or B team?

E: Or what about like average or good training facilities and 1st team when they are loaned vs Valencia's very good or great training facilities + 4/5 star coaches with less matches?

Training is still important but the quality of the matches they are playing is the most important (assuming they don't get really low ratings). If he's rated at a 2nd division level, he's better being loaned out than staying at the club and playing for the youth/reserves. If you're going to give him occasional game time with your firsts however, then less (but better) game time and better training facilities may be more beneficial. The older they are the more regularly they will need to play I've found. Simply, after age 18 Match Experience > Training.

7 hours ago, pq said:

What is the difference between a BBM and a CM(s) e.g.? I mean besides all the prechosen PI's, but what if you chose the exact same on the CM - is there any difference then?

Only pre-selected PI is Roam from Position which does a bit by itself. However, IIRC if you select a CM(s) and tell him to roam, his mentality will still be slightly less than the BBM. At least on FM18, I haven't checked for a while.

Just now, dolph11 said:

How do I change team fluidity? It seems to auto-select it? Can I manually change it? Can't see the option to do so anywhere on the tactics screen.

You can't manually change it. 

See the pinned thread for info: 

Can I play a right-footed player in an inside forward role on the right wing? Presuming the player has all the relevant attributes. How vital is it that he cuts in on his favourite foot? My system works with an inside forward in that position and I don't want to change the role to a winger, as it will affect the system.

on older fm editions, if a player was 70-75% condition, i would rest them 3 days, 76-80%, 2 days, and 81-90% 1 day.

i am wondering if with the recovery option in training, if resting a player will keep them from being part of the recovery.

is resting a player from training actually counterproductive now?

28 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

Can I play a right-footed player in an inside forward role on the right wing? Presuming the player has all the relevant attributes. How vital is it that he cuts in on his favourite foot? My system works with an inside forward in that position and I don't want to change the role to a winger, as it will affect the system.

I prefer to play inside forwards on their stronger foot like this. 

39 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

Of course you can. You can play any player in any position/role/duty if you want. The question is more about should than can. And in this particular case, there is nothing wrong in playing an IF on the side of his stronger foot. In FM18 I liked to use my left-footed AML (who is btw a natural winger) as an IF on attack duty, and it worked very well for me (actually, he played better than as a winger).

I also like to use a right-footed player as a winger on support in the AML position (or vice versa), telling him to hold position and cross from deep to far post, while using an IF on attack on the opposite flank, especially in counter-attacking tactics. The AML then behaves basically as an IF even though he's playing a winger role. If you are creative, you can make a lot of interesting (and ostensibly "counter-intuitive") combinations.

21 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Training is still important but the quality of the matches they are playing is the most important (assuming they don't get really low ratings). If he's rated at a 2nd division level, he's better being loaned out than staying at the club and playing for the youth/reserves. If you're going to give him occasional game time with your firsts however, then less (but better) game time and better training facilities may be more beneficial. The older they are the more regularly they will need to play I've found. Simply, after age 18 Match Experience > Training.

So what if my B-team play in Spain in Segunda Division (2nd league) and they are on 4th/5th place most of the season as far...I am in april...

Perhaps a silly question, but is there any way to get rid of the "Assistant in control" message?  I have my AssMan set the general training schedule and then tweak it a bit (usually adding Community Outreach the day after a game, or filling in some light days with Shadow Play) but every time I make a change now, I'm prompted to change it just once, or take over the entire training schedule.  Annoying as heck.

I'm trying to create a tactic for a team that just got promoted and has the worst squad in the competition.

The biggest strength is pace and dribbling on the wings and striker.

Basically i want to win the ball deep and then transition fast to attack and create as many 1v1 situations for my attackers as possible.

4-2-1-3 2DM i know 4-1-4-1 would probably be better to trigger counter attacks but i don't have the players for LM/RM

standard for home and counter for away games

structured so my attackers stay upfront ready to recieve a pass and because they can't defend and have low work rate

normal def line not too deep so i don't invite too much pressure

close down more because i have better tackling and aggression than marking and concentration in my backline

wide width for maximum attacking width so i can create 1v1 situations for my wingers

normal tempo i would go with high but my players have bad first touch and anticipation

more direct passing and also more risky passing PI for players with high passing

How does this look so far?

vor 40 Minuten schrieb 91427:

How can I have my wide players play in the half spaces consistently? Even with IFs with sit narrow PI on the lowest width they sit on top of my wing backs in early build up play, means two players are wasted 

You could try lowering your mentality for even lower width and setting your wing backs to stay wide.

2 hours ago, hxp said:

I'm trying to create a tactic for a team that just got promoted and has the worst squad in the competition.

Basically i want to win the ball deep and then transition fast to attack and create as many 1v1 situations for my attackers as possible.

4-2-1-3 2DM i know 4-1-4-1 would probably be better to trigger counter attacks but i don't have the players for LM/RM

structured so my attackers stay upfront ready to recieve a pass and because they can't defend and have low work rate

close down more because i have better tackling and aggression than marking and concentration in my backline

wide width for maximum attacking width so i can create 1v1 situations for my wingers

normal tempo i would go with high but my players have bad first touch and anticipation

more direct passing and also more risky passing PI for players with high passing

Use the friendlies and see how it plays out.  :thup:

What training intensity should I use for my 1st team players when I go to individual training there is something like half, normal od double intensity, should I put normal ? or during the season just half of it ?

Will it reduce players jadenes or tired ?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

On 17/12/2018 at 09:01, looknohands said:

Perhaps a silly question, but is there any way to get rid of the "Assistant in control" message?  I have my AssMan set the general training schedule and then tweak it a bit (usually adding Community Outreach the day after a game, or filling in some light days with Shadow Play) but every time I make a change now, I'm prompted to change it just once, or take over the entire training schedule.  Annoying as heck.

Even if you have it set so that you yourself control general training ("Plan general training for first team") your AM will still make sure there is a training schedule set for every week, and will make some changes when fixtures change. Those changes are sometimes good, sometimes less so, but he'll try. With these settings, any changes you make stays and you won't be prompted anything. 

3 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

What training intensity should I use for my 1st team players when I go to individual training there is something like half, normal od double intensity, should I put normal ? or during the season just half of it ?

Under the "Rest" tab in the training screen you can set up intensity according to their condition %. Any player set to "Automatic" intensity will follow those instructions. I have mine set to "No pitch/gym work" for the lowest level of fitness, half intensity for the next two, normal for 80-89 and double for 90+. If that's optimal or not I really don't know, I suspect it might be too conservative. But adjusting the training intensity to their fitness levels seems to at least make some kind of sense, more than sticking to the same intensity at all times. And it saves you a lot of micromanagement. 

5 minutes ago, Lathund said:

Under the "Rest" tab in the training screen you can set up intensity according to their condition %. Any player set to "Automatic" intensity will follow those instructions. I have mine set to "No pitch/gym work" for the lowest level of fitness, half intensity for the next two, normal for 80-89 and double for 90+. If that's optimal or not I really don't know, I suspect it might be too conservative. But adjusting the training intensity to their fitness levels seems to at least make some kind of sense, more than sticking to the same intensity at all times. And it saves you a lot of micromanagement. 

Will it work if I set general training to AM, and individual to myself? because I want to manage traits and skills, because my AM put throwing etc skills that I don't need to improve to everyone

• SI Staff
On 08/12/2018 at 13:54, Psycho. said:

Can personality only be changed due to mentoring or also in other ways?

Mentoring is the most focused method. Interaction can also change personality attributes. 'Events' can have an impact. Personality also develops over time.

• SI Staff
On 14/12/2018 at 08:22, Mindtrick_42 said:

OK, so stupid question :

I have tried to setup my own training schedules. Earlier I let my ass man do it. 

now my players get lower ratings for training. When ass man did the training I saw a lot of 10s, now the highest is just above 8.

is this an indication that my schedule is worse than my ass man's? 

Not necessarily. Training Rating is heavily based on development and morale. Development is of course influenced by training, but if you've a squad of 30yr olds you're not going to see much development. Similarly players do not develop in a smooth curve, so the AM may simply have been in charge during a 'boom' period. If morale is lower than it was when the AM was in charge this will also impact TR.

If you can rule these out, then yes maybe review your schedules. Pay attention to why you are training too, are you training specifically for short terms gains, i.e. a win in the next match, (say Mourinho) or are you training for a long term philosophy/player development (say Guardiola). Training Rating is much more important in the latter.

• SI Staff
On 16/12/2018 at 18:43, arsenal3459 said:

on older fm editions, if a player was 70-75% condition, i would rest them 3 days, 76-80%, 2 days, and 81-90% 1 day.

i am wondering if with the recovery option in training, if resting a player will keep them from being part of the recovery.

is resting a player from training actually counterproductive now?

Rest only removes a player from "active" sessions.

• SI Staff
On 17/12/2018 at 08:01, looknohands said:

Not currently but we are looking at this.

Also what @Lathund said :thup:

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

The default settings on 'Training > Rest' are a good guide. Take it from there and adjust to suit your needs.

11 hours ago, hxp said:

You are playing FM18, right?

8 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

I've been going with the Physio recommendations. I have a view set up to show the whole team with training intensity and physio recommendation. But for some reason, FM doesn't have functionality to let us mass edit those so I have to click them one at a time when the physio recommendation changes. I check for this every day, which is a micro-management pain, but it is what it is.

I wish there was a button to either "follow physio" or the ability to highlight 15 guys and change them all at once like we can do with other things like assigning players to the U23s or something.

The physio recommendations seem to take a lot more into account than just the player's condition %, so I don't think being able to set by that is as good at preventing injury.