Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

might be obvious but is there away to set one schedule for every week without manualy doing it yourself for every individual week? the entire first season i had it to ass man to manage, there didnt seem to be any attribute changes, second season i tried to do it myself and still no changes. no matter how much i play the player there isnt much change like there was in previous years to youngsters. i just want to stick to balanced that im used to in past years

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a make your cbs push into the opposition half when you have the ball? Seems like no matter how you set your defensive line at the minute they just stop at the half way line, teams like Barca are much more aggressive than that irl 

On 19/10/2018 at 17:54, Cal585 said:

Are there any under-the-hood instructions for the False Nine position? I know that playmakers, target man, half back and carrilero all have special settings but I'm not aware of anything else.

Been tinkering with a False Nine in a 4-1-2-3 on FM18 but it just seems to play like a DLF(s) without the holds up ball in possession. This is what the role instructions would seem to suggest but not the description. I'm having more luck playing strikerless with a SS.

Bump. Is a False 9 in game just a more fluid DLF? Does he actually drag defenders out to make space (or receive passes in the hole if they don't follow)? Because I can't get the role to work anything like the description.

2 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Bump. Is a False 9 in game just a more fluid DLF? Does he actually drag defenders out to make space (or receive passes in the hole if they don't follow)? Because I can't get the role to work anything like the description.

Check the welcome sticky to this forum. Under other threads for FM15 Cleon wrote about what makes a goalscorer and is going into detail on the roles. You can see the difference between an F9 and DLF.

Edited by tyro

Is it worth stressing about players not being fully accomplished playing in a position or role? It's nice to see your tactics & have full green circles for everyone but is there much of a penalty

Quick example, Lewandowski isn't fully accomplished in the Striker position or any role up top, are his performances going to take much of a hit?

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Is it worth stressing about players not being fully accomplished playing in a position or role?

No, attributes are all that matters. Circle indicator is merely a quick representation of player's attributes, but has nothing to do with his ability. However, if you were to play a player completely out of position, his decision making would worsen.

45 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

No, attributes are all that matters. Circle indicator is merely a quick representation of player's attributes, but has nothing to do with his ability. However, if you were to play a player completely out of position, his decision making would worsen.

Cheers pal, that's it then, just decision's are affected & that's if they're horribly out of position. Sure does bother me but all good if it doesn't effect that much  

50 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

However, if you were to play a player completely out of position, his decision making would worsen

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Cheers pal, that's it then, just decision's are affected & that's if they're horribly out of position. Sure does bother me but all good if it doesn't effect that much  

That's what everybody believes happened in FM18 and before.  It may or may not still be the same in FM19, but don't just assume it is.

51 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

No, attributes are all that matters. Circle indicator is merely a quick representation of player's attributes, but has nothing to do with his ability

This is correct though.  It's a guide and starting point to give us managers a quick visual clue, but shouldn't replace our own observations.

Cant seem to be able to make the game show me ALL the positions possible under opposition instructions, so I can make a set and it will be applied to all opponents using the position.

Right now I can only deal with the opposition one at a time I swear I had the same issue last year, maybe I button I am missing now. Any help appreciated.

I can lock it with blue/green buttons vs MR/ML forexample, but when next side come with AML/AMR it wouldnt apply. Naturally. 

FM18 had a large screen with all positions, thats what I would like to find. I am certain I am being blind, hence silly question thread.

Playing with 2 CM's( No DM or AM) i see that the game often recommend one of the CM's to be a B2B, would that not leave the ramaining CM a little alone?

(Playing a flat 442, with wing play)

Edited by Herbie2100

1 hour ago, Herbie2100 said:

Playing with 2 CM's( No DM or AM) i see that the game often recommend one of the CM's to be a B2B, would that not leave the ramaining CM a little alone?

No, why would it leave the CMa alone? BtBM is on support duty and covers a lot of space, so he is a perfect role to combine with the other CM (regardless of his duty) in 442 IMO. Of course, it does not have to be a BtBM, a DLP on support should also be a good match for CMa. But you need to take into account your entire formation and tactic, not just the two CMs.

1 hour ago, Herbie2100 said:

(Playing a flat 442, with wing play)

What do you mean by "wing play" in this context? Your wide midfielders are given a winger role, or your fullbacks are wingbacks (role-wise)? Or both? Or perhaps all your wide players (fullbacks and WMs) are on attack duty?

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's a bit more than that but it's all relative. Accomplished is fine for most. And a player that has the right attributes for a role is going to perform okay there, just better if he is more familiar with the position.

FM19 question here. I generally play a 4-1 type of defense and just realized both my 2 CB and first team DM all have the PPM Marks Opponent Tightly. I'm a bit worried if this might cause problems since I like to use a high line coupled with press. They have around 13 acceleration and pace which is not too bad in my division, by the way.

Any advice?

Edited by gongmin

27 minutes ago, gongmin said:

Not exactly the kind of advice I was expecting, but thanks.

I'm sorry, but like in real-life football, you sometimes have to sacrifice something in order to get something else. If you want to use high d-line at all costs, then at least consider avoiding high press. Because both at the same time can be quite risky even for stronger teams. Of course, you can afford that kind of risk if you are confident you have strong enough attack to always score one more than the opposition.

P.S: decent (or even very good) acceleration and pace of your defenders does not automatically mean you can play safely with higher d-line. In addition to speed, they need good intelligence (positioning, anticipation, concentration, decisions...)

On a very basic level - no need to go into loads of TI or PI - but what would the best starting point for building a team style like Man Utd in the 98/99 or 07/08, in terms of the new 2019 playing styles? I immeditely thought of wing play, but it seemed a bit more geared to big, tall heading strikers which SAF didnt typlically use.

Thanks

Just now, RiverReveal666 said:

On a very basic level - no need to go into loads of TI or PI - but what would the best starting point for building a team style like Man Utd in the 98/99 or 07/08, in terms of the new 2019 playing styles? I immeditely thought of wing play, but it seemed a bit more geared to big, tall heading strikers which SAF didnt typlically use.

Thanks

Maybe try customizing the player roles and/or PI/TI's? 

I've only played about 8 games of one save but besides a few early games (as Leicester) I'm getting absolutely battered, my tactic isn't particularly attacking and I'd say it's fairly conservative if anything.

DLF S

AM A

WM A  CM D  CM S  WM S

FB S    CD D  CD D   FB S   (The fullbacks were more aggressive initially but they were being beaten quite high up the pitch or caught out of position)

GK D

Cautious or balanced and rarely do I use any TIs. I get opened up by dribbling far too easily and I've tried engaging higher and more intensely but that just makes me easier to play around and sitting deeper gives the opposition too much space. Individually my players aren't great but they're mostly mid table standard and I had to turn it off earlier because I just couldn't be arsed seeing my players being waltzed past time after time. I've given out plenty of advice on here, by no means am I an expert but it's massively frustrating to feel so helpless.

I'll start another save with a different side because I don't really like playing as us but I thought the familiarity would help, unfortunately not :(

Edited by Fosse

On 22/10/2018 at 17:30, tyro said:

Check the welcome sticky to this forum. Under other threads for FM15 Cleon wrote about what makes a goalscorer and is going into detail on the roles. You can see the difference between an F9 and DLF.

Have had a look there and at lots of other guides and discussion. Everything seems to suggest that what you see is what you get and there is nothing hidden about the role. It is simply a support striker who dribbles and creates. But to get the actual movement and space creation of a F9 requires a lot of additional work probably best suited to another thread. I'll keep experimenting.

614186062_Bayer04LeverkusenFuball_PlayersAllPlayers-2.thumb.png.9bac87217b4d42688f81428df642b063.png

I'm bit lost when my assistant says that my player is unhappy at training because "Thinks he should be doing more technical attacking training" or unhappy because of "High volume of strength training", even if I don't put Strength as an additional focus.

Could you guys help me with this?

2 hours ago, apsychoshow said:

614186062_Bayer04LeverkusenFuball_PlayersAllPlayers-2.thumb.png.9bac87217b4d42688f81428df642b063.png

I'm bit lost when my assistant says that my player is unhappy at training because "Thinks he should be doing more technical attacking training" or unhappy because of "High volume of strength training", even if I don't put Strength as an additional focus.

Could you guys help me with this?

He's giving feedback on the sessions used and not the individual training(although I believe this can impact it aswell). Go and look at the sessions used and you can see what they train. Some of them seem to have lots of strength attached to them according to the feedback above. And the players are also telling you they want more technical attacking training. So again look at the technical sessions and try and add more that focus on the attacking attributes. That will fix it.

In FM19, how do you undo a tactical change in game, before it takes effect? For example, I pause the game to put in a sub, but misclick the player to come in. I don't see the curly undo arrow anywhere. Is this user error? Was it it moved to a non-obvious pull down?

Edited by Joey Numbaz

8 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

In FM19, how do you undo a tactical change in game, before it takes effect? For example, I pause the game to put in a sub, but misclick the player to come in. I don't see the curly undo arrow anywhere. Is this user error? Was it it moved to a non-obvious pull down?

Do you have one of the tactical style panels open? If so, minimise that and the undo button will show on the bottom right where the confirm changes button is. 

Question about training in FM19.

In the new Rest section under Training, you can set players to "No pitch or gym work". What exactly is meant by that? Does the 'Recovery' blovk count as pitch or gym work? And what about 'Match Preview'?

Is there any easy way to tell what is Pitch or Gym work?

Thanks.

On 24/10/2018 at 12:56, Experienced Defender said:

I'm sorry, but like in real-life football, you sometimes have to sacrifice something in order to get something else. If you want to use high d-line at all costs, then at least consider avoiding high press. Because both at the same time can be quite risky even for stronger teams. Of course, you can afford that kind of risk if you are confident you have strong enough attack to always score one more than the opposition.

P.S: decent (or even very good) acceleration and pace of your defenders does not automatically mean you can play safely with higher d-line. In addition to speed, they need good intelligence (positioning, anticipation, concentration, decisions...)

What?! Are you advising playing High D-Line without High Press? Because it's too risky? Is playing High D-Line with Low Press safer? In what way?

I don't think you could any more wrong if you really think that. High Press is mandatory with High D-Line. You don't want the opposition to have time to pick out a pass over or through your high line....surely. Therefore high pressing is a must because it will limit his time and space to pick that pass out.

• SI Staff

"No pitch or gym work" excludes players from all sessions that involve a physical aspect (not physical attributes, literally doing something physically), which means that Recovery, Match Preview, etc. are not included in this,.

3 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

"No pitch or gym work" excludes players from all sessions that involve a physical aspect (not physical attributes, literally doing something physically), which means that Recovery, Match Preview, etc. are not included in this,.

Thanks for the explanation Seb. So, just to confirm, if a player is on No pitch or gym work, he would still participate in Recovery and match preview sessions?

Thanks. 

On 25/10/2018 at 01:54, Fosse said:

I've only played about 8 games of one save but besides a few early games (as Leicester) I'm getting absolutely battered, my tactic isn't particularly attacking and I'd say it's fairly conservative if anything.

DLF S

AM A

WM A  CM D  CM S  WM S

FB S    CD D  CD D   FB S   (The fullbacks were more aggressive initially but they were being beaten quite high up the pitch or caught out of position)

GK D

Cautious or balanced and rarely do I use any TIs. I get opened up by dribbling far too easily and I've tried engaging higher and more intensely but that just makes me easier to play around and sitting deeper gives the opposition too much space. Individually my players aren't great but they're mostly mid table standard and I had to turn it off earlier because I just couldn't be arsed seeing my players being waltzed past time after time. I've given out plenty of advice on here, by no means am I an expert but it's massively frustrating to feel so helpless.

I'll start another save with a different side because I don't really like playing as us but I thought the familiarity would help, unfortunately not :(

Mate that 4-4-1-1 we have played for the last few seasons for some reason just does not work does it! 

Real shame. I was hoping madders and vardy would be a right partnership. I don't know if we are generally rated a bit poor which is mostly the reason?

Obviously we are a young side so hopefully everyone has high PA especially chilwell and Maddison. 

Be interesting to see when the editor is out aha

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, frank_olaf said:

Thanks for the explanation Seb. So, just to confirm, if a player is on No pitch or gym work, he would still participate in Recovery and match preview sessions?

Thanks. 

Correct.

16 hours ago, yonko said:

What?! Are you advising playing High D-Line without High Press? Because it's too risky? Is playing High D-Line with Low Press safer? In what way?

Where on earth have you seen that I advised him to play high d-line with low press ??? I said it's (can be) too risky to play both high line and high press at the same time, but did not mention low press at all. 

16 hours ago, yonko said:

I don't think you could any more wrong if you really think that. High Press is mandatory with High D-Line. You don't want the opposition to have time to pick out a pass over or through your high line....surely. Therefore high pressing is a must because it will limit his time and space to pick that pass out.

High d-line setting automatically increases the level of pressing, and vice versa. So if you apply both at once, you are creating too much space behind your back line for the opposition to exploit via balls over the top (killer passes for quick forwards in the first place). Not to mention that you are at the same time reducing the space for your players during the attacking phase. But everyone is free to play however they want, so you simply should not follow my advice if you think it's wrong ;)

25 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Where on earth have you seen that I advised him to play high d-line with low press ??? I said it's (can be) too risky to play both high line and high press at the same time, but did not mention low press at all. 

High d-line setting automatically increases the level of pressing, and vice versa. So if you apply both at once, you are creating too much space behind your back line for the opposition to exploit via balls over the top (killer passes for quick forwards in the first place). Not to mention that you are at the same time reducing the space for your players during the attacking phase. But everyone is free to play however they want, so you simply should not follow my advice if you think it's wrong ;)

I'll try to do this myself actually. I've always used a high d-line and high press so now I'll try only using one or the other. 

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

It's too risky to play high D-line if do not also use high press because then the space you leave is in front of your d-line for the opposition to pick that pass which will beat your d-line. Therefore it's a must that one plays high press with high d-line to reduce these opportunities.

Yes, selecting higher d-line automatically increases the closing down by a little bit, but not enough. You need further closing down instructions either through PI or TI.

FM 19 Training Units.

Only just taken a look at this - I assume, is this the place to add U23\U18 players to train with the first team squad, yet leave them in their respective squads?

If so, does it also mean they get the coaching of the first team coaches vs the youth coaches?

31 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I believe is a general rule of thumb to use either a IF(A) or Raumdater on the same side of his weaker foot?

This was a question or an assertion? 

Anyway, I think this applies more to an IF on support than on attack duty (and RMD). Personally, when I play my left-footed AML as IF on attack, he would either score or come into good scoring chances, usually following a killer pass or a cross from the opposite flank. For using an IF on attack duty successfully, more important than his stronger foot are certain attributes - primarily off the ball, acceleration, anticipation, first touch...