Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

A few from me:

1) I set my ass. man to do team talks, when I make a sub, is he giving them one? They get on the pitch & look complacent. If he's not, how do I do it, because when I try I can't?  

2) Hit early crosses. Does it actually work? I can't see anything in the PI's to say it's "on" so is it? My RB, a FB(A) has the option redded out but I want him hitting crosses from deep 

3) Playmakers. I thought they had an increase in passing directness or is it just the risky passes that are effected?

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, pauly15 said:

RE Coaching assignments. I tend to give my coaches one category each, and then have one coach (my worst) who does 4 or 5 categories to get the load down from heavy to average. Is this a good strategy?

It's what I've done in FM18 and before. I see him as the 'bibs 'n' cones' guy. Can be part-time, supercheap and hopeless and do a half-star in all categories to bring the workload for others down. Not sure if the 'exploit' works the same in FM19 as I'm managing an amateur club.

Anyone know if there's any differences between the Advanced Forward and the Pressing Forward on an attack duty besides closing down/tackle harder? I'm thinking the AF would probably have higher creative freedom but wondering if anyone's noticed?

On 05/11/2018 at 12:52, Russell Hammant said:

Hi @drjonze

Instructions for deleting schedule can be found here - 

Any issues just let me know

Thanks

Russell

They can be deleted from the Schedules folder after you export them but they still appear in game under the custom schedule tab in training. I want to remove them from the list like you can do with everything else.

Having such a hard time with Wolves for some reason - first save in the Beta I finished 4th which was excellent, but I started a fresh one... or three... and just cannot get them firing right. Trying with a 4-1-4-1 Wide which is my go to shape most saves.

Struggling to get the striker firing, and struggling to stop goals, and I'd show my tactic except I have tried quite a few and now it's just tormenting my brain as I'm, I expect, mixing strategies.

More of a rant than a question, sorry.

57 minutes ago, Oenone87 said:

Having such a hard time with Wolves for some reason - first save in the Beta I finished 4th which was excellent, but I started a fresh one... or three... and just cannot get them firing right. Trying with a 4-1-4-1 Wide which is my go to shape most saves.

Struggling to get the striker firing, and struggling to stop goals, and I'd show my tactic except I have tried quite a few and now it's just tormenting my brain as I'm, I expect, mixing strategies.

More of a rant than a question, sorry.

This explanation by @RTHerringbone was very useful for me in FM15 when I set up a great 4-1-4-1. Maybe it can help you too.

10 hours ago, drjonze said:

They can be deleted from the Schedules folder after you export them but they still appear in game under the custom schedule tab in training. I want to remove them from the list like you can do with everything else.

Same issue, how do I delete them from this list:

Capture2.PNG

2 hours ago, Hunter T said:

ok, this is definitely a stupid question, but how does underlap works?

I cant get my head around it.

A player in a wide position (e.g. MR, ML, AMR or AML) holds up the ball for a teammate arriving from a deeper position, but coming inwards (unlike overlaps, where the arriving teammate is running behind the wide player who holds up the ball). Now, while in overlaps it's the fullback or wing-back who arrives from deep, I am not sure whether in underlaps it also must be FB/WB or it can also be a player in a central position (such as MC). 

'' Now, while in overlaps it's the fullback or wing-back who arrives from deep, I am not sure whether in underlaps it also must be FB/WB or it can also be a player in a central position (such as MC).  ''

That last bit about the MC. Choosing underlap, you just increase the chnace that the MC(s) will make this kind of move, coming from behind (like Scholes used to do it for example)?

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:59, Experienced Defender said:

A player in a wide position (e.g. MR, ML, AMR or AML) holds up the ball for a teammate arriving from a deeper position, but coming inwards (unlike overlaps, where the arriving teammate is running behind the wide player who holds up the ball). Now, while in overlaps it's the fullback or wing-back who arrives from deep, I am not sure whether in underlaps it also must be FB/WB or it can also be a player in a central position (such as MC). 

The fullback can hold the ball up for someone to run on the inside or sometimes someone on the outside can hold the ball up for the fb who runs inside. Combined with a narrow attacking width it can make for interesting attacking variations.

I'm sure some of these have been asked for but here goes.

1. I often see that a specific focus is being worked on in preparation for a match, like attacking movement etc. (like previous games) despite not being anywhere in the training calendar, does match preview cover this? and how is it decided what we work on if it isn't specifically stated?

2. I see that many guides say to make sure you have a match preview as it handles the pre-match tactical briefing but in my experience on older games the tactical briefing i useless, in relation to my question above would removing it and replacing it with a specific focus for the next match not be better? 

3. What happens if i train all week for my primary tactic then decide to use a different tactic on the day of the game? Has all that training been a waste of time? Do i need to decide a week in advance if i'm going to try a different approach and train accordingly?

4. If you have 2 games in a week and obviously less time to train for the second match after the first, is there a rule of thumb regarding the most important aspects to train prior to the match, i.e should something specific be focused on like ball retention (assuming that's what my tactic needs) or would an overall approach be better to work on a little of everything, sorry that was a little vague but i had an EFL cup match on Tuesday and a Premier League game on Friday, Wednesday was used for recovery, leaving Thursday to train with 1 slot taken up by Match Preview, so figuring the best thing to train with such a small amount of time was tricky.

Thanks.

Edited by bluehefner

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

The fullback can hold the ball up for someone to run on the inside or sometimes someone on the outside can hold the ball up for the fb who runs inside. Combined with a narrow attacking width it can make for interesting attacking variations.

@Rashidi, could you shed some light on why it should be combined with a narrow width? I'm curious. My initial thougth was that I would combine underlap with a wide attacking width since the wider the team play, the more space in the middle becomes available, where the players can run into. Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Hunter T said:

'' Now, while in overlaps it's the fullback or wing-back who arrives from deep, I am not sure whether in underlaps it also must be FB/WB or it can also be a player in a central position (such as MC).  ''

That last bit about the MC. Choosing underlap, you just increase the chnace that the MC(s) will make this kind of move, coming from behind (like Scholes used to do it for example)?

I don't think it has any effect on the movements made, just the player on the ball's tendency to wait and play that pass should it appear.

Is there a sort of ranking or priority in terms of when you have multiple playmakers, which one your players would generally look to first? (Excluding other factors like who's in space, if the player with the ball has simple passes / killer balls as a trait etc.)

Asking as I currently have a 4231 with a DLP-Su in the double pivot and an Enganche in the 3. I'm only working with a small sample size (four games with the new tactic) but I feel like my players are looking more towards the DLP. Now that could be some sort of paranoid confirmation bias where I notice it more, it could be due to the opposition's formation or any number of things - I'm not discounting that. I just want to know if there is a sort of ranking of playmakers. 

Edited by zlatanera

1 hour ago, swansongs said:

I don't think it has any effect on the movements made, just the player on the ball's tendency to wait and play that pass should it appear.

Both "overlap" and "underlap" instructions increase mentality of my wing backs when I tested out just now - my mentality is Balanced and they're on support duties so they're also Balanced. When I select either of those instructions they shift to Positive. So it will increase the likelihood of them making a run. It also decreases the mentality of wide players which I believe would encourage them to make the safer option of a pass rather than trying to run forward as much. Doesn't affect central players though.

Edited by zlatanera

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

Is there a sort of ranking or priority in terms of when you have multiple playmakers, which one your players would generally look to first? (Excluding other factors like who's in space, if the player with the ball has simple passes / killer balls as a trait etc.)

Asking as I currently have a 4231 with a DLP-Su in the double pivot and an Enganche in the 3. I'm only working with a small sample size (four games with the new tactic) but I feel like my players are looking more towards the DLP. Now that could be some sort of paranoid confirmation bias where I notice it more, it could be due to the opposition's formation or any number of things - I'm not discounting that. I just want to know if there is a sort of ranking of playmakers. 

I think there used to be a priority before, some editions ago. Now, I don't think so. I think now it depends on your team mentality, the mobility of the playmaker role and the mobility of the player himself (attributes wise), surrounding roles, passing style, etc.

In your case, the Enganche is less mobile role than DLP-S, I think. He maybe more easily marked. The DLP is deeper and freer. One maybe surrounded with more attack duty players, while the other with more support duty players. 

Player consistently training at a very low level?

I have had this a few times with players, particularly new players. I have had a left midfielder train and for several weeks has been under 6, and when I moan at him he says he's doing well - then he starts crying, but wants to play. Seems a little odd, tried a few things like playing in a few more games, then benching him. Just unsure how to fix this issue. I don't think it's a bug, just doesn't seem right that a player would be that bad for so long. It also happens If I drop a player, they will just be silly.

When my assistant takes control of training he naturally picks a schedule that best fits my tactic, and for the most part it does but i rarely see any defensive work, only time defence gets worked on is during international breaks it seems. Should i not be working on defending every week? even if most matches i play attacking/positive?

Edited by bluehefner

In FM19 does the mentality still affect the passing directness of the players based on their position/duties? Eg. in previous versions you could  see in the UI that on denfensive mentality the centre backs' passing was slightly more direct, while the passing directness of attacking duty players was set to shorter. It is no longer represented in the UI, for example the passing directness of central defenders stays in the middle of the bar,  no matter what mentality you choose.

Would it be possible to move all the tactical replica threads into their own section, the same way download tactics are treated?

Please don't misunderstand, I do enjoy them but when the forum is as busy as it is currently the place is a bit overran with them.

Thanks.

Maybe @herne79  Thanks again.

A few of my players are unhappy at the lack of tactical defending training so my coach advises me to do more tactical defending training. To clarify, does that mean they want more 'Defensive Shadow Play' training, as that is the only defensive option under the Tactical training section?

Thanks.

So in a game v Burnley, Heaton kicked it long to Wood, who got closed down by three of my players. I'm wondering if this is because of the pressing settings or it's something built in the match engine.

0uckoqa.png

9NapUhg.png

That leaves tons of space behind the defenders and if Wood had won the header, he could have set Burnley's #27 on goal.

Hi - I know the last few years one option when you scout your upcoming opponent is what you want to concentrate on (Attacking set piece, Teamwork etc) - why am I not asked this now? I have my Asst Man doing all training but I always have anyway so not sure why I'm not asked this anymore?

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know how to change the fluidity for tactics? I remember in FM17 there was a clickdown menu where I could choose between Very Rigid, Rigid, Flexible, Fluid and Very Fluid - can't seem to find it on FM19. Anyone know if this is change-able and if so, where do I go to change that?

Match Cohesion, it's annoying me now.

I can't get it to rise. It's been on poor all season for Parma, I did 10 days worth of Teamwork and Match Practice training during the winter international break which is supposed to 'greatly increase' it but I had no movement at all. Everyone is familiar with their roles, the circle is 75%-100% full on everyone. I can't work out the factors for getting it to rise?

22 minutes ago, womble248 said:

Does anyone know how to change the fluidity for tactics? I remember in FM17 there was a clickdown menu where I could choose between Very Rigid, Rigid, Flexible, Fluid and Very Fluid - can't seem to find it on FM19. Anyone know if this is change-able and if so, where do I go to change that?

1 hour ago, Rub Me said:

Sorry if this has been discussed but how on earrth do you work on somebodys heading?

Other than in their role training? When you choose which team training sessions to put on, it tells you which attributes are improved. Off the top of my head attacking / defending free kicks / corners should do it, probably at least one each from the attacking and defending selections too.

On 12/11/2018 at 17:00, Cookie Boy said:

Hi - I know the last few years one option when you scout your upcoming opponent is what you want to concentrate on (Attacking set piece, Teamwork etc) - why am I not asked this now? I have my Asst Man doing all training but I always have anyway so not sure why I'm not asked this anymore?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone possibly help? I'm going round in circles trying to figure out how to get my staff to ask me how we want to prepare for the match :) 

52 minutes ago, Cookie Boy said:

Can anyone possibly help? I'm going round in circles trying to figure out how to get my staff to ask me how we want to prepare for the match :) 

I think (from my understanding) it's that they're removed this option altogether. I think you're supposed to get the scout/analyst report, and then go into your training calendar and edit it yourself, especially because training is now very different and there's no more 'preset' match preparation options. Like, there isn't the whole slider for more or less match practice now. You just have to schedule those sessions in on your own, I think. 

To be fair, it doesn't take too long. Just a bit more effort in planning ahead and clicking a few more buttons to specifically identify 'attacking free kicks' or 'attacking corners' and stuff like that.

Just my two cents. Would gladly take a response from someone who knows how to set in FM17. 

• SI Staff
On 08/11/2018 at 14:12, bluehefner said:

I'm sure some of these have been asked for but here goes.

1. I often see that a specific focus is being worked on in preparation for a match, like attacking movement etc. (like previous games) despite not being anywhere in the training calendar, does match preview cover this? and how is it decided what we work on if it isn't specifically stated?

2. I see that many guides say to make sure you have a match preview as it handles the pre-match tactical briefing but in my experience on older games the tactical briefing i useless, in relation to my question above would removing it and replacing it with a specific focus for the next match not be better? 

3. What happens if i train all week for my primary tactic then decide to use a different tactic on the day of the game? Has all that training been a waste of time? Do i need to decide a week in advance if i'm going to try a different approach and train accordingly?

4. If you have 2 games in a week and obviously less time to train for the second match after the first, is there a rule of thumb regarding the most important aspects to train prior to the match, i.e should something specific be focused on like ball retention (assuming that's what my tactic needs) or would an overall approach be better to work on a little of everything, sorry that was a little vague but i had an EFL cup match on Tuesday and a Premier League game on Friday, Wednesday was used for recovery, leaving Thursday to train with 1 slot taken up by Match Preview, so figuring the best thing to train with such a small amount of time was tricky.

Thanks.

1. Upcoming match work is included in some sessions, check the session card to see which.

3. Yes

4. Completely up to your preferences. Rest/recovery is important during heavy schedules.

looking for a little advice to help create a 4-3-1-2 formation with lots of short passing combinations and very compact positional defending, I have managed to come up with something which I think is a good basis but have a lot of problems breaking teams down and getting more and more frustrated.

This is my current setup, would love some pointers in the right direction.

AFC Ajax_  Overview.png

Edited by bdixon
spelling

A couple of stupid questions from me:

- I'm in Serie C/B so not necessarily a deal breaker, but I've been able to hire a Chief Data Analyst. I'd like to do a match review, but the option is ghosted for this. Do I need to have a standard data analyst rather than a Chief?

- I'm in early August ahead of a mid-September start to the season. The squad are complaining about the team training workload being too low, but I'm using a lot of 'Pre-season early - hard' training schedules which have three sessions per day, so I was slightly surprised by that?

5 hours ago, bdixon said:

looking for a little advice to help create a 4-3-1-2 formation with lots of short passing combinations and very compact positional defending, I have managed to come up with something which I think is a good basis but have a lot of problems breaking teams down and getting more and more frustrated.

This is my current setup, would love some pointers in the right direction.

AFC Ajax_  Overview.png

The setup you posted in this screenshot is not 4-3-1-2 but 4-1-4-1DM Wide. Besides, this thread is not meant for this type of issues. If you want advice on tactics, you should open (start) a separate thread.

Anyone discovered any good routines or tips for defending corners so far? Keep conceding the same type of goal regardless of setups, it will either be a cross into the near post and the player nips in infront of the defender to score at the near post or it will go deep and outswinging, get headed back across and a tap in at the opposite post as my guy on the post does nothing.

Which Fullback role will sit between CM and AM range while attacking? Trying to create a 42121 which should look like a high pressing 343 (diamond 4) in attack with a HB between the defenders. I need the fullback for with in midfield, but not to far down the flanks.

Edited by gandrasch

I just want to check I'm on the right level of thinking here:

Thinking in terms of lines & blocks, if I play a Park the Bus team who I'm going to struggle to break down, I like to set a low block to try & entice them out to play rather than forcing 19 players into their defensive third & trying to blast my way through (unless in extremely urgent circumstances) 

Now, if a team's hounding me down, pushing me back into my own third & giving me a rough time, this is the bit I'm struggling with. I've two thoughts on this. 

1) I can set a low block & try a pop a direct passes into the space they've left at the back. This is normally the stressful way to play as I don't see a lot of the ball & if I'm a favorite, it looks bad & doesn't feel right

2) I can set a higher block & give them a game back, chase them down, put the tackles in, try & aim for a bit more possession

I think I've answered my own question but how to people like to approach it? I like the idea of 1) but always end up getting mullered & switching to 2) 

I have a player who has the traits 'Hugs the line' and 'Cuts Inside from both wings'. Who does that work exactly? I imagine 'Hugs the line' is a position trait meaning he stays as wide as possible until he receives the ball and then cuts inside or am I wrong here. Also is 'hugs the line' only a thing when my team is in possession or does it affect defensive positioning as well?

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I just want to check I'm on the right level of thinking here:

Thinking in terms of lines & blocks, if I play a Park the Bus team who I'm going to struggle to break down, I like to set a low block to try & entice them out to play rather than forcing 19 players into their defensive third & trying to blast my way through (unless in extremely urgent circumstances) 

Now, if a team's hounding me down, pushing me back into my own third & giving me a rough time, this is the bit I'm struggling with. I've two thoughts on this. 

1) I can set a low block & try a pop a direct passes into the space they've left at the back. This is normally the stressful way to play as I don't see a lot of the ball & if I'm a favorite, it looks bad & doesn't feel right

2) I can set a higher block & give them a game back, chase them down, put the tackles in, try & aim for a bit more possession

I think I've answered my own question but how to people like to approach it? I like the idea of 1) but always end up getting mullered & switching to 2) 

The formation you are using also plays an important part here. But apart from that, and based on what you described, my basic approach would be to play with slightly deeper lines (both DL and LOE) to draw them out of their half as much as possible while looking to control play through a patient passing game when in possession. So, translated into team instructions, it would look somewhat like this:

Positive mentality. In possession - slightly lower tempo, shorter passing, play out of defence and wider (but not the widest) attacking width. In transition - counter, distribute to CBs and FBs. Out of possession - slightly deeper d-line, standard LOE, but more urgent pressing (because you don't want to give them too much of the ball). 

Also would look to have a solid number of support duties and at least 2 playmakers, both of these in order to better control possession until some promising opening occurs for a decisive killer ball. Where the attack duties should be used ultimately depends on your formation.

40 minutes ago, BadanieLuck said:

I have a player who has the traits 'Hugs the line' and 'Cuts Inside from both wings'. Who does that work exactly? I imagine 'Hugs the line' is a position trait meaning he stays as wide as possible until he receives the ball and then cuts inside or am I wrong here.

You are not wrong :thup:

40 minutes ago, BadanieLuck said:

is 'hugs the line' only a thing when my team is in possession or does it affect defensive positioning as well?

Only when you are in possession.