I have fallen in love with my FM Club so much that I am flying abroad to watch them!

Sorry, i know this isn't really about the game itself but I wanted to share. I have really only played one save on FM this year, FC Oss. For those that don't know they are in the Dutch 3rd tier and doing Gundo's challenge they got promoted to the Erste Division. Now my best mate, in Wales, also did the challenge and got the same team and we both fell in love with the club. We made a deal, if they ever won promotion IRL to the Erste we would go watch them, well that happened and on the 14th of October we are both flying to Amsterdam then getting a train to Oss to watch them against Veenam.

I contacted the club and they want to run up a little story on their website about us coming over and thankfully are being really helpful with regards to getting us tickets etc.

Anyway, apologies again for posting a non PC related thread but most of us are active here and I wanted to share :)

Thanks all.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will definitely look forward to some photos from this trip! ;)

Amazing coincidence you both signed the same player too....

yer i think that him being available on a free at the end of the first season and that he is dutch contributed, our scouts both offered him to us.

Back in 1998, I took a trip to England with 4 friends to see Bath City play ... we all had a love for the team based on previous footballing manager games. I think they played in the Southern Premier division (below the BSS) at the time. So I can relate to this story :D

The club and fans were quite surprised (to say the least) to see 5 danes coming over to watch them. We met the club owner and all the players and everything. It was fun :D

Haha, great story Aussie! I'm sure Oss will be more than happy to welcome the both of you in their stadium. Our Dutch second division is kind of money troubled, stadiums are half empty every match... It's quite sad actually :D

On a side note: FC Oss were to promote this year anyway. Even if they had finished rock bottom. The other teams in the Topklasse (3rd division) don't want to promote since the rules for promotion set by the Dutch FA are far too strict with regards to playing grounds and teams having to turn professional. They can't afford all that. FC Oss is the only team who is professional already in our 3rd division, so they were the only candidate for promotion :p

That is a great story. I remember I used to play as Hull in the first couple of FM games, and I grew to love the team. I went to see them play a few times, because a few of my relatives live in Hull so I had a place to sleep for the night after the matches.

That's actually a great idea, I have been having my best save ever on any FM with a team called Litex Lovech in Bulgaria. I have started to look out for results now irl and Looking to buy a shirt LOL... I was thinking of taking a flight over and watching a game, Weird what playing FM can do to ya :D

After having a lot of fun with my Bromley save, I'd love to go see them play sometime. :)

Always like seeing Bromley named as they made it to the EPL on my holiday save and have been there for a good 50 seasons so far.

aussieant32 what country are you flying from to watch them, Australia?

Great stuff aussieant32, nice story.:cool::thup:

Cheers mate, its down to you that it happened!

That's a really cool story. Enjoy your trip, though in fairness, I

do have to warn you that Oss isn't exactly a vibrant town. :)

I know, my mrs has some family in holland and they have been there, thanks for the heads up anyway :p

Always like seeing Bromley named as they made it to the EPL on my holiday save and have been there for a good 50 seasons so far.

aussieant32 what country are you flying from to watch them, Australia?

no, ill be flying from the UK. Im in Australia at them moment, then flying back to spain, then on to the UK a week later and then on to Oss!

Some nice trivia you might like to know about them. FC Oss was previously known as TOP Oss, which was a little over a year ago now. You also mentioned they will be playing against Veendam. They are currently known as SC Veendam, but only a couple of months ago they were known as BV Veendam. Maybe you can impress some people with the not so obvious knowledge. ;) FC Oss was the first team ever to relegate from the second division and, now, also the first team ever to be promoted to that division.

Have fun in Oss.

NLmichiej explained a bit about our second division (Eerste Divisie, or the Jupiler League as it is called) and how our third division (Topklasse) functions. It's unfortunate that hardly any team in the Topklasse wants to be promoted to a higher division. For 'outsiders' it's usually hard to understand.

I've done something similar in the past as well. I've lived a while in England and was quite close to Bromley. I also had a job there almost next to Crystal Palace's stadium. I always had to pass it on my way to work. Ever since I've gotten some sympathy for clubs in the area where I used to get near to when I was going home or to work. I usually manage them whenever I decide to head to England in FM.

Some nice trivia you might like to know about them. FC Oss was previously known as TOP Oss, which was a little over a year ago now. You also mentioned they will be playing against Veendam. They are currently known as SC Veendam, but only a couple of months ago they were known as BV Veendam. Maybe you can impress some people with the not so obvious knowledge. ;) FC Oss was the first team ever to relegate from the second division and, now, also the first team ever to be promoted to that division.

Have fun in Oss.

NLmichiej explained a bit about our second division (Eerste Divisie, or the Jupiler League as it is called) and how our third division (Topklasse) functions. It's unfortunate that hardly any team in the Topklasse wants to be promoted to a higher division. For 'outsiders' it's usually hard to understand.

I've done something similar in the past as well. I've lived a while in England and was quite close to Bromley. I also had a job there almost next to Crystal Palace's stadium. I always had to pass it on my way to work. Ever since I've gotten some sympathy for clubs in the area where I used to get near to when I was going home or to work. I usually manage them whenever I decide to head to England in FM.

cheers mate, i have actually sunk myself into the dutch system since taking over, i dont know what it was but i jsut fell in love with it. Barca will always be my team, not only cause of my passion for them but also as they are pretty deeply steeped into my family history, but i dont see the problem with having a 2nd team to love!

Ona side note,i have actually started my Oss save again, i got to the 2040's but it just got too easy, i won the league last year by 14 points and the following i started with ajax away, twente home and psv away, i won all 3 with a f/a of 16/0! So i am back to the erste and battling for every point :)

Two guys get hooked on a game and fly to see a random club and get on the news.

I spent $4000 to fly at the last minute from Sydney Australia to Naples to see my beloved Napoli on the day of their bankrupcy, I slept all night next to a dumpster in Naples cause I couldn't get a hotel room and at the end only 433 fans showed up and burnt half the seats (and I had to run for my life cause of a riot) and I didn't even get a mention.

:(

As soon as I save up enough money, I'm going to England to watch football matches all over, but the one match I'm most looking forward to is Dorchester Town. They are a mid-to-low table team in the Blue Square Bet South division (7th division).

I have a save with Dorchester that took them from the 7th division to nPower League 1 (so far)

This is classic. Absolutely brilliant.

I always thought that if I won the lottery, i would start a journeyman game and then just go round living in the places I was managing for a while. What a great way to see the world!

That's a fantastic idea. I'm willing to do it if someone sponsors me ;) . It would be rough, but someone has to do it! For the love of the game!

I have developed quite an admiration for Citta Di Palermo too, after a cracking save with them. When I get back over to Europe, I am going back home to Leeds but then might go over to Italy too :-)

Enjoy the trip to Holland lads, what a great tale you both have!

This is awesome :D I've heard of people getting their club's jersey with their best regens on it but this is better :)

I'm currently on my best, most fun FM save ever, managing Dortmund having been at Newcastle & Terek Grozny. Tempted to go on a tour of all the team's stadiums once I end this save when FM12 arrives :p

Archived