Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

Get it up yous! :)

Not content with kicking us off the park, we still go and get the win. Cisse - what a player. World class. :cool:

Kicking you off the park? :D Are you forgetting Tiote running around kicking and fouling everyone? Was about time someone put him in his place. Can dish it out but obviously can't take it without going off on a stretcher :(

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, I don't think it was a game too far - we could've won this game with ease. Their goals were sublime, but came from nowhere and those where their only real chances of the game. If Malouda and Sturridge hadn't have started, I think the result would've been different

Well yeah we were **** too. Oh well.

We've limited the damage financially of missing the CL a huge amount by getting to the final this year. So that's a plus (obviously still have a great chance). Lets win the EL instead.

Going after 3 was always a bit much.

The thing is, I don't think it was a game too far - we could've won this game with ease. Their goals were sublime, but came from nowhere and those where their only real chances of the game. If Malouda and Sturridge hadn't have started, I think the result would've been different

Just one of those days, wouldn't even call them real chances ffs, just 2 sudden brilliant pieces of magic from nowhere. Don't blame Cech for the second goal, think it was harder than it seemed even though he had his eyes on it the whole time.

Awful result, credit to Newcastle though, I'm sure they deserved it and have had a great season. Don't get me wrong, I love Robbie, but it's matches like these that make me wonder whether he has the experience to turn around these key games when they're going against us. I suppose the Barcelona match would say otherwise, but I'm not sure his substitutions changed anything there so much as the excellent defensive organisation he'd already instilled. There's also the factor of a short-term contract being a very different matter to a permanent one, with much less pressure applied. As I say, he's done an incredible job getting the team's morale back after the Villas-Boas trainwreck (and I certainly hope he stays at the club) and achieving some fantastic results along the way, but even disregarding the conviction it would take to rebuild the squad's core, I think he'd need a great assistant for any long-term success.

Just makes the CL even more important. Can't wait for it though and I do think we can beat Bayern. They will really be at us with the front 3 and midfield but they have the defensive weaknesses for us to exploit. Excited for the final Sunday as well as I think we can beat Liverpool so long as we don't play like we did tonight. I thought Newcastle were good but we didn't really get at them enough, they didn't need to be that good to beat us, which is frustrating.

RDM picked a bad team but he did make up for it with the subs, and those subs did change the game. We were finally on top for the final 20 minutes or so. We just don't have the depth in quality to be resting Mata and Lampard against good sides.

RDM picked a bad team but he did make up for it with the subs, and those subs did change the game. We were finally on top for the final 20 minutes or so. We just don't have the depth in quality to be resting Mata and Lampard against good sides.

Fair enough, I only know what I read on the BBC Commentary. I certainly wouldn't complain about RDM getting the job permanently, but it would still represent a bit of a risk in my eyes. Not that I can think of anyone else, really.

Cisse has a bloody good record, 13 goals in 12 games is ridiculous. Still waiting until this time next season to make sure he isn't just one of those hot starters and then fizzles out but he does look good.

Yeah I agree it's slightly risky but I think he deserves it and there really isn't any realistic target. I'd love Klopp or Mourinho but the chances of that are 0%. I think we should keep going with what we are doing as it is working and has worked for the past 6 years or so, we just need more quality in the squad so we can rest Lampard or Mata and not feel it. The Marin signing is a good start.

This only means we'll enjoy winning the CL more. Won the CL, qualified for the CL, ****ed up Tottenham, Arsenal or Newcastle. Oh that will be the day...

• Administrators
Get it up yous! :)

Not content with kicking us off the park, we still go and get the win. Cisse - what a player. World class. :cool:

We'll just console ourselves with winning the CL and knocking yous out of it. Keep it classy.

Suppose one good thing is that come Sunday if Newcastle and Tottenham win their games then we will know that we are mathematically out of it.

It will then give us a full two weeks to prepare for CL final and youngsters can be played in the two final league games along with the four players that will be suspended.

We'll console ourselves on finishing higher than you in the league despite not spending £££££££££s

Because the EPL is clearly the best club competition in the world. :thup:

Not, you know, the Champions League.

Looks like you're losing your captain if convicted.....

A fan has been banned for life from Chelsea football club after he admitted hurling racist abuse at Didier Drogba.

Stephen Fitzwater, 55, of Isleworth, west London, was heard making the comment as Chelsea played Tottenham in the FA Cup semi-final, on 15 April.

He was arrested after other fans reported him to a Wembley steward, Hendon Magistrates' Court heard.

Chelsea Football Club said it took the "strongest action" against Fitzwater, saying it "abhors" discrimination.

Fitzwater admitted racially aggravated abuse at the court hearing and he was also given a three-year football banning order preventing him from attending any regulated football match in the UK or abroad.

A Chelsea spokesman said: "Chelsea Football Club and the overwhelming majority of our fans abhor all forms of discrimination and believe they have no place in our club or our communities.

"We would like to thank Chelsea fans for reporting this incident and others which occurred during the semi-final, as a result of which a number of persons have been banned for using racial and abusive language."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17933326

....or maybe not. :D Even if convicted sure down at the Bridge they will come up with something....anything to maintain their high standards of class act and he will be there next season. If convicted.

You realise it's Roj every time right? The rest just chirp up when people bite by insulting Newcastle. Ignore him. :p

Well it was Roj and Smallen wasn't just Roj. Smallen was hardly defending an massive insult against Newcastle. Does he really think any of us would care less if we won the CL and Newcastle came above us just because they spent less money? Yes you have spent less money and for me it's quite annoying as we need to start spending our money more wisely but winning the CL and being upset for finishing behind you don't compare on any level.

I'm still pissed off that he managed to lost last night, but what's worse was the bumming of Newcastle that I had to wake upto in the papers this morning :( Really didn't understand the team selection yesterday because yesterday was priority over the FA Cup final, imo - yes, I'd love to win the cup but the priorities should be CL, league, FA Cup (in these remaining games)

Well I think we'd definite end up in the top 4 without any CL distractions. The problem is the squad depth and hopefully we'll fix that in the Summer. Maybe a title challenge is pushing it as Man City have a far better squad atm. I know it's easy to say now we are out of 4th place but I don't really care to much about not getting back in if we don't beat Bayern because it's not going to stop us signing the players we need and like I said earlier, we aren't going to be out of it for long. If it allows us to concentrate on the League and have a nice little run in the Europa whilst playing some of the younger players (not a full team but like 2-3 in each game with some rotation) then it won't be missed for one season.

Not getting into the CL would be a set back in terms of the fact if a player is choosing between us and another club who is in the CL then we may lose out. Still think we would be able to attract a lot of players and I do think with a few tweaks this team should get into the top 4 next season. Massive game tomorrow and it would be really really nice to get that trophy and beat Liverpool to it as well. I can see every player giving 110% against Bayern which upsets me that Terry, Ivanovic and Ramires can't play as I think their workrate rubs off well on others. Plus Ramires' runs from deep will be sorely missed.

I do think we can beat Bayern but we will need to give another huge performance like the Barca game. It will be a different game as I can see us having a bit more of the ball and their two wingers and Gomez up front plus their strong midfield will cause us problems. We do have goals in us though and whilst their defence is good, it is definitely there weak spot but with all our injuries it could be ours as well. If we manage to get Cahill and Luiz back then I will feel better but even then we will be missing 2 of our starting defence.

Also seen in the gossip column that United are reportedly close on Kagawa. If that's true it's a shame we haven't gone for him as well as he would have been a great addition to the team as well. I know we already have Marin but Kagawa can play anywhere on the left, right and centre right? Also hope we take a look at Clint Dempsey, although he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting role he always plays well when I see him.

If you miss out on the CL then di Matteo is a good cheap option, maybe Drogba leaves and a couple of others and then Marin in and who knows who else and no reason can't have another run at 4th, strenghening in the winter if needed before approaching Pep next summer

Archived