Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So glad we won yesterday. Now we can give two good games in the league and then get to the game that really matters, seems to become a bigger game by the day.

Also seen in the gossip columns again today that supposedly Kagawa has said he will probably sign for United (don't know how true that is), again just wished we would have shown some interest in him because for that cheap he would be worth it, even paying more he probably would be. We have got Marin though so I am very happy with that.

If CPO don't agree to sell the name of the club, how different does the new name have to be?

For example the current name is Chelsea Football Club; could a new name be Chelsea Association Football Club?

oh and Eva (L). I knew of her when Phil first told me about her long before she was ever in the first team, so hands off :mad:

Looking at how Arsenal, Newcastle and Spurs did this weekend, the loss to Newcastle midweek is an even bigger kick in the nads now :(

Yeah, I think RDM made an error of judgment in putting out his weaker team against Newcastle than in the FA Cup. The Cup's awesome, of course, but the League is top priority for me and had we managed a win last Wednesday, we could've had a nice chance at fourth even with the PL game against Liverpool to come. Now there's just an annoyingly present, but very faint, hope.

We have to beat Liverpool, then hope two of Newcastle, Arsenal or Spurs draw/lose their final game. Seeing their fixtures and the choking nature of Spurs and Arsenal then it's not out of the realms of possibility. I give us about a 20% chance.

I see us winning both our remaining games, but that's besides the point as the league ought to have been the priority over the FA Cup (and as alluded to earlier, we don't have the squad depth/ability to be resting Mata in big games and for it to be effective) but yeah, given how Spurs and Arsenal are keen on imploding at the right moment I think we're in for a chance of 4th, provided we beat Liverpool.

First off, Arsenal have to LOSE to West Brom, which many people seem to be overlooking for some reason.

Second off, I can't believe these so called Chelsea "experts" on Twitter are calling to rest the whole CL final team now. You do realize that players need to stay match fit, they can't just sit out for TWO WHOLE WEEKS.

Bayern played what could be their CL final lineup in their last match iirc
I read nothing into that team tbf, in terms of capability and how well they played, because they were facing a very dire Köln side but I'd take Contento, Tymoschuk starting in their back 4 for the Final. Oh, and Gomez was his typical self needing 75 chances before converting one :thup:

I see us winning both our remaining games, but that's besides the point as the league ought to have been the priority over the FA Cup (and as alluded to earlier, we don't have the squad depth/ability to be resting Mata in big games and for it to be effective) but yeah, given how Spurs and Arsenal are keen on imploding at the right moment I think we're in for a chance of 4th, provided we beat Liverpool.

Can't see us beating Liverpool to be honest, we've looked tired in the league for a while and without the motivation of a cup to play for, I'd say we're looking at a draw, or loss if the Scouse get their act together for a bit for revenge. Newcastle have got Everton, Tottenham have got Fulham and Arsenal have got West Brom for their final games, I'd be surprised if one of those opponents, let alone two, could spring a shock.

As unmotivated as we've looked in the league - ie. the Newcastle game- Liverpool have been dire, in particular at Anfield, and I can see us winning. Liverpool were really dreadful for a good 65 minutes of the FA Cup final (where their motivation should've been increadibly high and whatnot) until the lucky break came for them and Carroll gave them a glimpse. They've got nothing to play for really, other than possibly getting revenge, so even if we rotate a bit (resting Kalou and playing Sturridge, and playing Meireles and Essien in midfield) I still think we've got enough about us to win. Plus, there's a hint that I can see us coming out in that game strong as Di Matteo's emphasised the importance of the next two league games - now moreso given what went on with teams battling for 4th and 3rd.

As unmotivated as we've looked in the league - ie. the Newcastle game- Liverpool have been dire, in particular at Anfield, and I can see us winning. Liverpool were really dreadful for a good 65 minutes of the FA Cup final (where their motivation should've been increadibly high and whatnot) until the lucky break came for them and Carroll gave them a glimpse. They've got nothing to play for really, other than possibly getting revenge, so even if we rotate a bit (resting Kalou and playing Sturridge, and playing Meireles and Essien in midfield) I still think we've got enough about us to win. Plus, there's a hint that I can see us coming out in that game strong as Di Matteo's emphasised the importance of the next two league games - now moreso given what went on with teams battling for 4th and 3rd.

Liverpool have always been more motivated against us, though. They beat us last season during a terrible run of form (when Torres scored twice, probably convincing Roman to sign him in the process) and would probably love to end our Champions League/fourth place hopes.

Liverpool have always been more motivated against us, though. They beat us last season during a terrible run of form (when Torres scored twice, probably convincing Roman to sign him in the process) and would probably love to end our Champions League/fourth place hopes.
To be honest, I thought they'd turn up in the final and they didn't and I can't see it being different in the league (especially, as there's less at stake for them there)

Yeah but the way you play with Carroll in your team is different to how you play without him. I'm pretty sure he'll play, therefore different could well lineup as a 4-4-2 or with Suarez in support of Carroll in a 4-2-3-1, either way you look at it it's more attacking and direct, so they'll threaten us more when they don't have the ball and be more likely to make something of the game, but we will still control the game and should still win, it's whether we create the chances.

Archived