The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

Flew back into Stansted yesterday after my holiday, and Leciester team there, little snigger went round when the team split into EU/Non EU. Half of the suckers had to queue up for ages, whilst I went through the face scanner. :cool: In my mind I was going to troll Nugent, but I'm the bigger man and walked away. Anyway slight catch up done, gutted we didn't go in for Taylor, would of been a dream move for us after his time with us. I'm sure we couldn't afford to match what West Ham were offering. Like I said before, they will comfortably walk the league.

Player to watch out for this season: David Norris

Dream Season: Play-Offs

Nightmare Season: Relegation

Best Ground ( other than your own ) in the league: Definitely Brighton for me, looking forward to this one.

Worst Ground in the league: Barnsley, I'm not going to repeat my rant from last season.

Most Hated Team in the League: Leicester.....

Where should Away fans go before the game?: Shepherds Crook on the corner of Goldsmith Avenue, you'll find me and walker in there every game usually from about 12. Please keep the noise down though kthanx

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half of the players? Yuki Abe and Sol Bamba were the only non-EU players on that tour, given that Pantsil hadn't signed yet. This is the most domestic based squad we've had in a while, I reckon.

Half of the players? Yuki Abe and Sol Bamba were the only non-EU players on that tour, given that Pantsil hadn't signed yet. This is the most domestic based squad we've had in a while, I reckon.

Was my friends words tbf, obvious exaggeration for effect!.. Plenty of people getting pictures, etc.. Always found that strange when adults do it.

so how comes the Alan Smith' date=' Woodgate rumours etc were given so much airtime?

you could still outdo us for a player mind you, it's getting really frustrating now.[/quote']

woodgate was a silly rumour tbh

not sure what's going on with smith, there's a 50/50 leeds divide on him, some willing to forget he went to man utd (me being one) and some not willing to forget

pretty stupid really, i've heard it from peter lorimer himself that he had to sign for man utd because they were the only team willing to pay 6 million upfront and we badly needed the cash in 2004, some leeds fans also forget he waived his signing on fee for the good of our club

Is he any good EM? I am struggling to get excited with all these keeper signings!!!

former u21

prestons player of the season for 2 years before last season

infact if you forget prestons horror show last season he's been very good for them, premier league clubs wanted him 2-3 years ago

i won't hold my breath but i've heard from some preston fans today saying he's signed a 3 year deal fee was 150k

but nothing is on our official site yet

former u21

prestons player of the season for 2 years before last season

infact if you forget prestons horror show last season he's been very good for them, premier league clubs wanted him 2-3 years ago

i won't hold my breath but i've heard from some preston fans today saying he's signed a 3 year deal fee was 150k

but nothing is on our official site yet

Sounds like he could be worth 150k then.

I still think we need a DMC, a right back and an inside forward!

So we've finally been linked with a player! Daily Star claiming we've had a bid for Adam Le Fondre turned down. Couldn't care less if it's true or not just nice to see us actually being linked with someone :D!

So we've finally been linked with a player! Daily Star claiming we've had a bid for Adam Le Fondre turned down. Couldn't care less if it's true or not just nice to see us actually being linked with someone :D!

so when we buy clingan for 300k g-man, you can try again and up your bid by another 300k :D

forest have apparantly made a second bid for dutch winger Wesley Verhoek, our first bid apparantly wasnt to far off, so hopefully this one will get him, lad looks pretty good from what ive seen and heard

ffs if leicester don't go up this season they want banning from future premier leagues :D

Think they're going for all or nothing here, like Crawley last year. If they don't go up then they'll probably **** up their finances with all these players.

Well we've certainly had a good go at sorting our defence out now and I think a physical holding-player like Fernandes was what we were missing for a lot of last season defensively as well, but we're going to have an entirely new defence so it may take them a while to gel.

Our attack is currently weaker than the one we finished last season with as well.

Is @fourth_official in any way reliable on Twitter?

Saying within last hour "Ammar Jemal is closing in on a move to Southampton #Saintsfc". He was linked in the Swiss press a few days ago, left out of squad photo, but was also linked to a number of large European clubs and Stoke City.

Didn't rate Fernandes when he was at City, but he's be a good Championship player. Not sure he's worth it for you lot given that you have plenty of midfielders anyway, but hey.

Very different type of midfielder to the one's we have though. We don't really have an out and out holding player.

Think they're going for all or nothing here, like Crawley last year. If they don't go up then they'll probably **** up their finances with all these players.

tbf though, it's a matter of time even if they do go up. Just like us when we were going all out. It's just sad really, I have to admit though I wouldn't trade my last 5 years for anything, all the Euro trips, the FA Cup runs, everything. Overspending ftw. It's great fun, but eventually you'll come back down, the punishments just aren't matching the benefits of over spending. If like a couple of clubs wanted last year, that if you go into admin you get two relegations, would begin to put on the pressure to make sure clubs are going to be sustainable. They don't have to break even but the owners have to underwrite losses for a period of time. That's the issue, owners come in take all the fun, then bugger off when they aren't interested anymore.

west ham bidding 8 mil for long? reading would be delighted with the money theyve raked in the last two seasons if they actually got to spend any of it :D 20 mil plus for Long ( presuming he goes ), Mills and Siggurdsson is amazing business!

tbf though' date=' it's a matter of time even if they do go up. Just like us when we were going all out. It's just sad really, I have to admit though I wouldn't trade my last 5 years for anything, all the Euro trips, the FA Cup runs, everything. Overspending ftw. It's great fun, but eventually you'll come back down, the punishments just aren't matching the benefits of over spending. If like a couple of clubs wanted last year, that if you go into admin you get two relegations, would begin to put on the pressure to make sure clubs are going to be sustainable. They don't have to break even but the owners have to underwrite losses for a period of time. That's the issue, owners come in take all the fun, then bugger off when they aren't interested anymore.[/quote']

There's been plenty of owners who've come into a club taken them to the next level then made the club self sufficient before leaving them.

No idea how ours will do it as I can't read the future, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a matter of time. Given that they've plastered their name all over the club and this is more like a project to build their name and reputation I can't imagine it would make much business sense or sense in their image to leave us to go bankrupt.

apparantly swansea have given up on signing wayne routledge, i think Forest are the only team with a contract offer on the table now ( unsure if leicester do, i dont think so, but im sure Mir will clarify that :D ) and he seemed to be saying his goodbyes on twitter yesterday after agreeing with Jose Enriques criticisms of the way the club is run, crossed fingers time :D

west ham bidding 8 mil for long? reading would be delighted with the money theyve raked in the last two seasons if they actually got to spend any of it :D 20 mil plus for Long ( presuming he goes ), Mills and Siggurdsson is amazing business!

£6.5m for Doyle, £3m for Hunt, £3m for Bikey... and before that, £5.5m for Kitson, £3m for Sonko, and £3.5m for Shorey. £45m in player sales since our relegation.

I doubt Long will go to West Ham though, he wants to play in the PL, and he'd rather play for us than earn slightly more playing for West Ham or Celtic AFAICT.

woodgate was a silly rumour tbh

not sure what's going on with smith, there's a 50/50 leeds divide on him, some willing to forget he went to man utd (me being one) and some not willing to forget

pretty stupid really, i've heard it from peter lorimer himself that he had to sign for man utd because they were the only team willing to pay 6 million upfront and we badly needed the cash in 2004, some leeds fans also forget he waived his signing on fee for the good of our club

alan smith 17 is a total legend

tbf though' date=' it's a matter of time even if they do go up. Just like us when we were going all out. It's just sad really, I have to admit though I wouldn't trade my last 5 years for anything, all the Euro trips, the FA Cup runs, everything. Overspending ftw. It's great fun, but eventually you'll come back down, the punishments just aren't matching the benefits of over spending. If like a couple of clubs wanted last year, that if you go into admin you get two relegations, would begin to put on the pressure to make sure clubs are going to be sustainable. They don't have to break even but the owners have to underwrite losses for a period of time. That's the issue, owners come in take all the fun, then bugger off when they aren't interested anymore.[/quote']

administration should equal expulsion from the football league

Sigurdsson was good business in terms of the fee but I'm convinced we'd have gone up if he'd stayed last year. He was that good.

Nope, Palace want him but can't afford him. They've offered him as much as they can according to Sky Sports. But apparently we're looking at giving a contract and then on Facebook a mate has said he's been training/on trial with us. How true it is, I don't know. SSN seem to be jumping the gun alot this summer with deals.

Reports saying Leicester have bid £4 Million plus Waghorn. Dont want Waghorn, no deal.

Would be very happy with that if it came off. Can't see it though, I don't think adding Waghorn to a deal is much of a enticing proposition somehow.

Would be very happy with that if it came off. Can't see it though, I don't think adding Waghorn to a deal is much of a enticing proposition somehow.

Yeah Waghorn doesn't have the greatest scoring record, I'd rather have the extra money to spend on defenders.

Archived