The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who was the trialist?

We had a trialist play last week against Bath, Fawke - was Cheltenhams reserve team captain. He came on after about 30 minutes due to an injury, was then subbed again about the 60 minute mark and never heard of again :D

Martin Pusic, Austrian left winger.

Be interesting to see him and Brady battle it out if he signs.

EMT saying a deal for a striker is close, not saying who though, but it sounds like it could be sealed within the next few days.

Yeah saw a journalist up your way say it was Maynard, yet we have a few people down here saying he is signing a new contract with us. All just hear say!

Yeah saw a journalist up your way say it was Maynard, yet we have a few people down here saying he is signing a new contract with us. All just hear say!

The idea that it was Maynard was just guesswork based on us being linked with him so often, but I definitely think the fact a new striker signing coming soon is true. Whether it's Maynard or whether we have given up on him and moved on to another target we will see, but I firmly expect us to finally find out now within the next few days either way.

Phew! Just glad this Maynard saga is coming to an end, must have been the most drawn-out and boring transfer negotions I can ever remember us being invloved in. Weeks and weeks of endless forum "insider" nonsense and **** talking. Not to mention both the Bristol and Leicester local papers making endless stories up about it.

Not been confirmed by the club yet, but it sounds like Fernandes has completed his move to us.

That would be a very good signing, remember being impressed with him when he was at Man City.

According to a couple of my Bristol City supporting mates there is a rumour going round that we have made another enquiry/bid for Maynard. The saga with him seems to be continuing :D

Radio Leicester confirming Fernandes has signed subject to a medical. :)

Oswaldo - We've already had a bid of around £4.5mil rejected for Maynard and it seems we're going to have to go above £5mil unless there is a player sqap involved, so it depends how likely it is for Southampton to pay £5mil+ for a player as to how much truth is in it.

Owners have the money, not sure if they are willing to invest that much though. Could happen if we sell Chamberlain I suppose

Saints don't need to sell before they buy. Adkins confirmed they made a bid for Billy Sharp of £3.2m and the bid was accepted. Since then they signed Jack Cork on a big deal and Steve De Ridder, and Alex Chamberlain (despite the rumours) is still at the club. Along with Adkins, Lallana, Lambert, Davis, Martin and Barnard all signing new long term deals recently.

It's not really that they are not willing to invest that much it's more thinking 5 million is a stupid price for Maynard. He'd be our record signing.

Personally I don't see it happening at all for various reasons. Stupid price and I'd be shocked if we signed another striker. De Ridder opens up all sorts of options and possibilities, not just because he can play up top but it also allows Guly, Lallana and Chamberlain to take up different positions and along with Lambert, Connolly and Barnard that is a pretty impressive and in depth attack.

If Chambo goes we'll probably need another option, whether or not we then rely on De Ridder being our main winger and Guly filling in when needed by buying a striker remains to be seen.

I think Cortese would happily spend that money on someone if he thought it was worth it, but personally I don't think we need to spend that much on somebody in this league. Not least on someone who is unproven at a higher level.

Would obviously be nice for the sake of some more excitement and bragging opportunities but we are not like Leicester who have a short term plan to get them out of the league. We have a long term plan with the bonus that it's actually pretty strong short term too.

Keep hearing rumours than you want Jukebox but there really doesn't seem to be anything concrete in them so far.

I can't see that happening really. Doesn't really offer anything different or significantly better than any of the current strikers. He gets linked because he is Southampton born, a Saints fan and came from Saints academy originally.

Yeah I agree that's why the link happened, discussed it back on OTF2 a few weeks back. However I don't agree he doesn't offer anything for you and I'm expecting him to have a good season this year after taking his time to adapt to the championship last season.

Yeah I agree that's why the link happened, discussed it back on OTF2 a few weeks back. However I don't agree he doesn't offer anything for you and I'm expecting him to have a good season this year after taking his time to adapt to the championship last season.

With Lambert, Barnard, Connolly and Guly Do Prado as the four main striker options (De Ridder, Lallana, Doble and Chamberlain also options), any new striker would have to be significantly better in order to make it worthwhile signing him. Otherwise it would just be bloating the squad and inflating the wage bill needlessly.

Lambert, Connolly and Barnard all signed new deals this summer and Guly do Prado signed on a permanent deal in January. They aren't going to be leaving any time soon. With only 5 subs next season instead of 7, I don't see how Jutkiewicz would fit into the squad.

Is Barnard likely to be a starter?

Whoever is in the better form is most likely to start. Connolly at the moment and if he's fit he's our best striker, but the chances are he'll be injured by the end of August and either Barnard or Guly will be fighting it out to play alongside Lambert.

Leicester rumoured to have put a 4 million bid in for the prolific Cameron Jerome....IF true I'll happily write them off for automatic promotion.

With Lambert, Barnard, Connolly and Guly Do Prado as the four main striker options (De Ridder, Lallana, Doble and Chamberlain also options), any new striker would have to be significantly better in order to make it worthwhile signing him. Otherwise it would just be bloating the squad and inflating the wage bill needlessly.

Lambert, Connolly and Barnard all signed new deals this summer and Guly do Prado signed on a permanent deal in January. They aren't going to be leaving any time soon. With only 5 subs next season instead of 7, I don't see how Jutkiewicz would fit into the squad.

With only Connoly having been proven to score goals at this level...

With only Connoly having been proven to score goals at this level...

In 2009/10 Rickie Lambert outscored Grant Holt, Jermaine Beckford, Max Gradel, Luciano Beccio and Steve Morrison in League One. Lee Barnard was only one goal away from Beckford, level with Holt and scored more than the rest.

They all have done well at a higher level.

2010/11 Championship...

Holt in Championship was 2nd top scorer, Beccio, joint 4th, Gradel joint 7th, Morrison joint 9th.

There really isn't much of a gap between the top of League One and the Championship!

I see little reason why Lambert and Barnard wouldn't. Certainly little reason to replace them before they have been given a go at it with players like Jutkiewicz.

Jermaine Beckford has hardly been a prolific scorer at this level and look at Simon Cox for another example of a player who scored bucketloads in League One but couldn't make the step up.

It's not always that easy to make the step up to the higher division.

Rickie Lambert outscored Grant Holt, Jermaine Beckford, Steve Morrison, Charlie Austin in League One (Lee Barnard was only one goal away from Beckford and level with Holt). They all have done well at a higher level. I see little reason why Lambert and Barnard wouldn't. Certainly little reason to replace them before they have been given a go at it with players like Jutkiewicz.

HOOFball works well in League one then.

Leicester rumoured to be interested in Shane Long... Mills fair enough but Longy... Kindly **** off! I hope he goes to a prem club - Common W Brom, Everton or Liverpool - stump up the cash.

I can almost guarantee that we're not interested in him at all. This has all come from some stupid thread on FoxesTalk.

Jermaine Beckford has hardly been a prolific scorer at this level and look at Simon Cox for another example of a player who scored bucketloads in League One but couldn't make the step up.

It's not always that easy to make the step up to the higher division.

I didn't say it was guaranteed, nothing is in football but it is pointless inflating the squad with players like Jutkiewicz was my main point. Saints already have four strikers and a number of other players that have played as strikers (Lallana, Chamberlain, De Ridder, Doble) and academy strikers that you wouldn't want to block the route for.

I have though listed five current Premier League/Championship strikers that are currently doing well, but Lambert (all of them) and Barnard (most of them) outperformed them, goals wise at least, when all were in League One in 2009/10.

HOOFball works well in League one then.

He scored lots of penalties and free kicks admittedly, but a goal is a goal and certainly not hoofball. Saints play out from the back, it really wouldn't be a great idea to bisect a midfield with players like Lallana, Chamberlain, Cork and Schneiderlin in it with long balls so they don't touch the ball ever.

You seem to think this season will be like last year in the Championship. Last year was a freak year, standard very poor. Christ we even beat Norwich away from home during the season barring a referee disaster call we had QPR beaten in November from what I can remember.

West Ham have come down with the majority of their squad still here and a arguably the best manager in the division, Leicester obviously mean business, Blackpool still looking strong for this division, my lot stronger than last year, Middlesbrough will be far stronger and Ipswich have money to burn.

Southampton still havent actually spent that much time in the championship over the years as when you got relegated within 2 years you went down again. This is an extremely tough division to get out of, Fat Sam knows whats required to do it thats why hes buying Kevin Nolan and Matty Taylor to get out of the division and your signing Jonathan Forte

You seem to think this season will be like last year in the Championship. Last year was a freak year, standard very poor. Christ we even beat Norwich away from home during the season barring a referee disaster call we had QPR beaten in November from what I can remember.

West Ham have come down with the majority of their squad still here and a arguably the best manager in the division, Leicester obviously mean business, Blackpool still looking strong for this division, my lot stronger than last year, Middlesbrough will be far stronger and Ipswich have money to burn.

Southampton still havent actually spent that much time in the championship over the years as when you got relegated within 2 years you went down again. This is an extremely tough division to get out of, Fat Sam knows whats required to do it thats why hes buying Kevin Nolan and Matty Taylor to get out of the division and your signing Jonathan Forte

So many errors in that Sheer Class, I don't know where to start! :D

- Firstly this discussion was not about the difficulty of the league for a team. I was just showing how Barnard and Lambert's record compares favourably to numerous players that have done well in the Championship having been in League One the season before.

- Saints were not relegated to League One two years after relegation from the Premier League. It took four seasons. The first year under Redknapp/Burley ended in mid table. The second year under Burley ended 6th and a play off defeat to Derby County. Then the parachute money ran out and the third year was a struggle for survival achieved on the last day under Nigel Pearson. The fourth season was a complete disaster with administration the Dutch duo in charge and Rupert Lowe back. That is when relegation came.

- West Ham brought Nolan and Taylor whilst in the Championship. Adkins brought Jonathan Forte in January whilst in League One in order to help get promoted, which he did. I don't understand why you have made that comparison. Saints as a Championship club have signed Jack Cork and Steve De Ridder. They also still have Lallana and Chamberlain at the club. Both of Lallana and Chamberlain I'm sure West Ham would love to have. Along with tying a number of other players to new long term deals, Ammar Jenal also looks to be signing soon(ish).

- Finally why are Middlesborough going to be "far stronger"? Looks to me like they are selling lots of players and using youth players to make up numbers, having run out of money from parachute payments.

Yea a little bit error strewn but you got the points! I know on Saintsweb though you seem to think this will be almost the same as league 1 as the gulf isnt all that....

Youve always know having arguably the strongest squad on the south coast up until the past 5-6 years, youve never known mediocrity for a sustained period of time because lets face it you bought your way out of league 1 and I highly doubt that those buys will get you out of the Championship.

The point between West Ham and Forte was this they are buying players to enable them a) to go back up straight away and b) to survive in the Prem straight away.

What was the point of buying Forte as at Championship level he wasnt exactly triffic was he?

Yea a little bit error strewn but you got the points! I know on Saintsweb though you seem to think this will be almost the same as league 1 as the gulf isnt all that....

Youve always know having arguably the strongest squad on the south coast up until the past 5-6 years, youve never known mediocrity for a sustained period of time because lets face it you bought your way out of league 1 and I highly doubt that those buys will get you out of the Championship.

The point between West Ham and Forte was this they are buying players to enable them a) to go back up straight away and b) to survive in the Prem straight away.

What was the point of buying Forte as at Championship level he wasnt exactly triffic was he?

Forte was bought at League One level to be fair. He scored 2 of our most important goals of the season. We needed pace and someone to do a job because we only had Chambo and Lallana in the wide areas fit or available (Holmes injured, Puncheon bombed out).

He'll only play any major part in our season if we get a serious amount of injuries, especially now Holmes is fit and we have signed De Ridder. I'll be gobsmacked if he's anywhere near the bench on the first day of the season.

Having looked at other squads in this league, I'll be shocked if we don't compete in the top half.

MLG such a smug git.

@ Sheer Class you can't claim to have known mediocrity for a sustained period of time if your not a Coventry fan!

Suggest you check the record books! Pretty sure before our last promotion we had spent 12 years in this damn league

Over 40 years since we last finished in a top 6 position in any league. Anyone who claims to support a more mediocre club than us is lying.

Last 44 years = 1 Cup win, 1 promotion, 1 relegation, 1 top 6 finish. If that isn't mediocre I don't know what is.

Being mediocre in the top division is still being mediocre isn't it? Seriously I would much rather we yo-yo'd in that period and actually had some enjoyable seasons. When you look at the statistics it really is quite depressing.

Also it's a FACT that no club has gone longer without a top 6 finish (in the football league) than us.

Archived