The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like West Ham have singed Matt Taylor. They really should walk this division with their current squad.

Something incredibly over rated about Matt Taylor imo. Still should be pretty good for this league though. However what is West Ham's strike force like? Assuming Cole goes at some point, i'm not actually that worried. Nor am I impressed by your front line either to be fair. :D

Best strike force in the league at the moment...? Reading with Long on his own is my initial thought without thinking too hard. Discuss.

I don't think anyone is claiming our front line atm is that impressive, but no way is it going to be our front-line come the end of the transfer window. We will almost certainly sign at least one more forward before the end of August.

Don't know about West Ham's front-line, but their midfield looks far too good for this division on paper. Cole should turn out to be an incredibly effective player given the way Big Sam plays football.

Oh if Cole stays he should rip up the division. I have my doubts that he will though. Some desperate Prem club will snap him up.

Yeah you will probably get someone in. Maynard will be good but if not him it will be interesting to see who you turn too.

Maybe it's a completley misplaced arrogance and I'll have egg on my face in a couple of months, but I'm not fearful of us against anyone in this league. Name wise there is some big clubs obviously, but looking at squads I feel we can hold our own and more. Especially at home.

Fair dos, the gap between the Championship and League One is nothing, if anything the top of League One is stronger than the bottom of the Championship imo. When we came up a couple of seasons ago we adapted with absolute ease. I still think West Ham and Birmingham have strong squads on paper and should be the favourites though. Honestly, I can't see the likes of Cole, Parker etc. leaving now, I think if they were going to there would at least have been a lot more activity with regards to bids for them by now.

As for us, the Maynard thing is dragging on now and the more it goes on the less likely I think it will happen. Yakubu deal seems pretty much dead now as well. Other names that have been batted about if Maynard doesn't come are Ched Evans and Billy Sharp. Can't say Evans' name fills me with any kind of excitement, but Sharp could turn out to be an excellent player for us, I think he'd actually suit our play more than Maynard would. Though maybe I'm just overcompensating because I'm starting to think there's very little chance of Maynard coming. :p

I believe you already had a £3.25mil-ish deal for Sharp accepted but couldn't agree terms with him, yes? I think we would happily buy for that price and don't seem to be exactly the most conservative team when it comes to wages atm.

Southampton sign Steve De Ridder from Dutch side De Graafschap

Know absoloutely nothing about him, the fee is rumored to be about 1 million euros. Hoprfully he is the replacement for Puncheon and not Chamberlain

Where d'ya think Puncheon will go? Are Blackpool still interested as they're the only side I've seen him linked with but that was a couple of months ago.

I believe you already had a £3.25mil-ish deal for Sharp accepted but couldn't agree terms with him, yes? I think we would happily buy for that price and don't seem to be exactly the most conservative team when it comes to wages atm.

Yeah thats correct, fee was rumoured to be 3.25 mil plus a player (Joseph Mills who was on loan at Donny last year). Deal broke down as Sharp didn't want to move south due to family/friends all living in the yorkshire area and didnt want to move too far from them. Not sure if that will have any impact on a move to Leicester as its obviously a lot close to Sheffield than Southampton is.

And wands I really couldnt care less where Punch goes, the guy is a decent player but has an enormous ego. Hopefully we get rid of him sharpish. Haven't heard many rumours linking him to specific clubs, although it is very clear that he is leaving as he has been playing with the u21's in pre season and not training with the first team

No idea about Puncheon. Rumours about QPR which would seem about right. Like Oswaldo says I couldn't really care less. Rumour has it he's a bit of a douche which I wouldn't mind if he was actually any good but once a club snaps him up on a permanent basis and gets the initial few months honeymoon period out of the way, everyone will realise he's an incredibly frustrating player. Couldn't get in a League One team so got the hump and we bumped him off on loan to Millwall and Blackpool where he's built up a pretty good reputation and annoyingly everyone seems to think we were weakened by losing him.

Best strike force in the league at the moment...? Reading with Long on his own is my initial thought without thinking too hard. Discuss.

Hunt is pretty darn effective as well, and Manset has sorted out his fitness so could be a genuine threat. Church has the potential to come good too.

Not sure it's the best strike force though, combine Long's body with Hunt's finishing and brain and you'd have a Premiership striker, but seperately they have weaknesses. After the Leicester match which was featured on the FL show, teams started sitting deeper against us and Long couldn't use his pace so much. Hunt is a good player, but he isn't as good as he was pre-injury, and Manset and Church are still unproven.

I'd go for Leicester's if they sign Maynard, otherwise probably Birmingham with King and Jerome. Think Birmingham look good for promotion.

Reading have Sonko on trial, and are close to a deal for another centre back. Please be Chambers.

gradel and becchio is a proven great strike force

38 goals between them

sadly becchio will miss the start of the season after having surgery, so that basically condemns us to midtable this year unless some serious signings are made

grayson yesterday said "waiting on 2 answers in the next 48 hours regarding players signing" but i won't hold my breathe

Gradel yes. Meh on Becchio. I respect he scored a lot of goals last year but him and Beckford at St Marys the season before came with alot of hype and they were horrific. While I can't judge on one performance of course, if that is one of the best the Championship can offer, I fancy Lambert, Guly and a fully fit Connolly (unlikely) to score a lot of goals.

In addition to Steve De Ridder we are very close to signing someone else, probably tonight or tomorrow. Rumours about a Tunisian centre back.

be interesting to see if lambert can make the same step up holt did, personally i dont think he will, seeing how hes probably peaked and is turning 30 this season, will have to wait and see i guess

Gradel yes. Meh on Becchio. I respect he scored a lot of goals last year but him and Beckford at St Marys the season before came with alot of hype and they were horrific. While I can't judge on one performance of course, if that is one of the best the Championship can offer, I fancy Lambert, Guly and a fully fit Connolly (unlikely) to score a lot of goals.

In addition to Steve De Ridder we are very close to signing someone else, probably tonight or tomorrow. Rumours about a Tunisian centre back.

lambert will score 20+ if you manage to win 10 penalties :D

The London rumour on Bullard, as tweeted by an ESPN reporter, was a lie. It's an incident in Slovenia, AP had an interview with TalkSport but said they can't make any comment, hoping that the Allam's will have got to the bottom of it and available to comment next week.

Yeah I saw that rumour on the CB aswell. If that comes off that should be the squad complete then, if they are planning on playing De Ridder up front, and we don't lose Chamberlain

I'll be surprised now if Chamberlain stays after his comments this week. All about getting a good price now. Even if it doesn't happen it before Leeds it will when he gets hyped up again on the back of a good performance live on Sky Sports. Think De Ridder is more a replacement for Puncheon which we needed, with the ability to play up front so almost certainly stops our search for a striker too. If Chamberlain goes, I imagine we'll get someone on loan late on in the window, in the hope that Holmes, De Ridder and Guly can fill Chambo's void.

lambert will score 20+ if you manage to win 10 penalties :D

That would help :D

That comment pretty much confirms a Lambert perfect hat trick against you first game of the season though :D Shame I've probably done the same for Becchio.

• SI Staff

Player to watch out for this season: Kazenga LuaLua

Dream Season: Play-Offs

Nightmare Season: Relegation

Best Ground ( other than your own ) in the league: Elland Road

Worst Ground in the league: London Road now the terrace is gone :(

Most Hated Team in the League: Crystal Palace

Where should Away fans go before the game?: The Pub.

I'd go for Leicester's if they sign Maynard.

I agree, I think if we can sign a good goalscoring striker we'd score goals for fun. Gallagher oozes class for me and will create goals on a plate for anyone who can get into good positions, as well as getting a decent amount himself. When Yakubu was here last season it seemed like we were getting 3 or 4 goals almost every week at the end of last season, shame we were also conceding what seemed like 3 or 4 every week. We just need someone who can do the role Yakubu did for us at the end of last season, as hopefully now we have a much more experienced defence this time round we won't leak goals quite so readily.

I'll be surprised now if Chamberlain stays after his comments this week. All about getting a good price now. Even if it doesn't happen it before Leeds it will when he gets hyped up again on the back of a good performance live on Sky Sports. Think De Ridder is more a replacement for Puncheon which we needed, with the ability to play up front so almost certainly stops our search for a striker too. If Chamberlain goes, I imagine we'll get someone on loan late on in the window, in the hope that Holmes, De Ridder and Guly can fill Chambo's void.

That would help :D

That comment pretty much confirms a Lambert perfect hat trick against you first game of the season though :D Shame I've probably done the same for Becchio.

nah becchio is out for atleast 2 months :(

surgery on his hamstring

Well 10 years of treading water in the championship hasn't done wonders for our finances. Our wage bill is actually pretty low compared to a lot of clubs at this level (we currently aren't paying anyone 10K or more EM) and we haven't spent that much on transfers. But the fact is to consistently compete at this level without making losses is pretty much impossible.

Yeh, its sinking in now really about Boro's financial issues.

Always knew they were reasonably crap but thought we'd have got promotion by now, so can imagine 10 years of it would be crippling if not managed correctly now.

Mediocrity ftw.

Your parachute payments have run out now haven't they? You were relegated before the 4 years of payments were brought in yeah?

The problem is we have to pay rent on our own stadium so are revenue streams are pretty limited and we've been run very shoddily.

Cardiff fans....what kind of team have you sent to Bournemouth today?

The team bus that left the vale had quite a lot of first teamers, mixed with youngsters probably. The team are still new to each other mostly, so they need gelling and game time so we will probably bring a strong side, if you're going, please mention how well our 6ft 4 trialist Gestede up front did :)

Thanks¬

SGE saying in today's local paper that he's almost certain there will be a couple more players coming in before the start of the season and that a striker is his main priority. Also says he has other targets if the Maynard deal doesn't go through, which if Fulham are interested seems even more likely. Would imagine that means the Maynard saga should be wrapped up one way or the other with us next week, I guess. i.e. Either sign him or move on to other targets.

Southampton are playing in the memorial cup today, set up to remember our late owner Markus Liebherr. The tournament contains 3 teams, Saints, Werder Bremen and Athletic Bilbao. The teams will all play each other once in 45 min games in a league format, with the overall winner, obviously, winning the cup.

Gulasci, Rosenior, Chester, McShane, Dudgeon, Koren, Cairney, Evans, Brady, Fryatt, Mclean

Is our team v Liverpool today. Take Cairney and McShane out, and that's likely to be our team v Blackpool. Would expect McKenna and Hobbs to come in to replace them.

How many former Man Utd kids have Hull now got? Noticed Corry Evans, Joe Dudgeon, James Chester, Paul McShane (although he wasn't direct), Cameron Stewart, and Robert Brady (although he's on loan). Are there any others or is that it?

Archived