The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

you'd be mental not to take it

As a Bristol City fan I honestly think that we should have bitten their arm off with that offer. I honestly think that Pitman is a better finisher than Maynard. Don't get me wrong I love the guy, and his goal against QPR was orgasmic, but at some point we have to realise that he's not just going to keep increasing in value.

However I hate to say it but the futre looks bright for us Robins...

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a Bristol City fan I honestly think that we should have bitten their arm off with that offer. I honestly think that Pitman is a better finisher than Maynard. Don't get me wrong I love the guy, and his goal against QPR was orgasmic, but at some point we have to realise that he's not just going to keep increasing in value.

However I hate to say it but the futre looks bright for us Robins...

I love Pitman, by far my favourite player at the moment. I honestly think if it was 5.3 million then we should have taken it - if that was a premier league club we would have taken it.

I think Blackpool will be an interesting prospect if they do get the players they've been linked with. Already signed Hill, Phillips (and Djordjic), linked with Barry Ferguson, Mame Biram Diouf and Nile Ranger. If they sign them it would be a sure sign that they're continuing with their "doesn't matter if you concede as long as you score more than them" tactic.

Really don't get that. Why would you sell him to one club for that price then but not another team just because they're in the same division as you? Surely you either want the money from the transfer or you don't?

Really don't get that. Why would you sell him to one club for that price then but not another team just because they're in the same division as you? Surely you either want the money from the transfer or you don't?

Not if we feel we can make a bid for promotion and you gain an advantage by having Maynard.

Fwiw I don't think we will be near promotion, midtable for us this year.

Selling to a team in the same division hurts you twice as much. If City sold Tevez to Spurs, then Spurs would have gained 40 goals on Man City (20 scored by Tevez for Spurs, 20 not scored by Tevez for Man City), but if they sell him to Barcelona or Corinthians, then Spurs will only "gain" the 20 goals Tevez won't score for City.

Fair enough. Just seems that players move between Championship clubs all the time, can't really recall anyone ever turning down an offer they would accept otherwise for another Championship club before though.

Not if we feel we can make a bid for promotion and you gain an advantage by having Maynard.

Fwiw I don't think we will be near promotion, midtable for us this year.

thats what i was thinking, i mean, i know the likes of leicester ( and forest :D ) are in the same league, but its a bit ambitious to describe us as rivals to Bristol city, and if Maynard isnt going to sign a new contract and no prem club comes in for him, youve just ****ed 5 million away

Robbie Neilson's contract has been mutually terminated. Disappointing stint with us; he seemed to be loved at his former club Hearts, but in all fairness, he looked poor every time he played and wasn't going to get a look in this season.

I disagree with him looking poor every time he played, he was one of the few bright sparks of the Sousa era. Can't fault his commitment, tried hard, but ultimately wasn't up to this level.

He definitely was one of the very few who came out of the Sousa "era" with any credit. Was playing well at the start of this season. Think he even scored his first goal in about 4 years or something.

id guestimate at about 10 million in transfer fees alone, along with probably 75-100k on wages and tbh, bar Konchesky ( and id only want him because we dont actually have any natural left backs at the club atm ) and maybe Nugent, i wouldnt particually want any of them, and certainly not at the prices theyve paid. I mean, they could have had Roger Johnson for 2 million more than they paid for Mills ( though i assume johnson wanted to go back to the premiership, but its just a comparison :D )

Leicester are basically assembling a very strong Championship squad. If the squad manages to gel quickly (ie before the end of October) and start performing to its capabilities then I have no doubt that they will go up automatically. It is of course a big IF. If that doesn;t happen and they take a long time to gel I think they could even struggle to make play offs as every other team in the division will now see the Leicester game as one of the biggest of the season

The thing is if Leciester do win promotion with that team they'll basically have to sign a whole new team to keep them in the premier league. It's very similar to QPR who went out and signed a load of good championship players and won the league but don't really have a team that looks like it will stay up without lots of investment.

yeah, i mean, look at the signings theyve made, how many would be good enough to keep them in the premiership, nugent isnt, konchesky could be, mills, not right now, but tbf, hes still relativly young, danns and peltier have no experience at that level ( that i know of ) and Kasper has only played a few games there. Sure, theyve go the money to spend that on those players, but it just seems a bit of a waste to me

Yeah agree with you there, but as soon as a club knows that Leicester are interested in one of their players the price will rise (unless its a player like Konchesky who Liverpool just wanted rid of). They had a lot of players on loan last season iirc so need to fill out their squad and look like they are choosing to spend big and have two quality players at this level for every position rather than having a mixture of good players and "stars"

What Oswaldo says is pretty much right. We had a very small squad once our loan players went back and SGE has basically been told it's promotion this season or his contract isn't getting renewed, so he had to do something. You have to also remember that he's completely changed our style of play from a defensive, direct side to a patient, attacking side (which I very much approve of), so a lot of the players left over from Pearson's tenure don't really fit our style at all.

Although some of the prices are inflated, that's always going to happen when other teams know you have a big budget, but I think he's doing the right thing by putting together a squad of proven good Championship players with 2 or 3 good players in every position, rather than an excellent starting 11 with no depth over a 46 game season or not.

It's all about whether the squad can get or not basically, if they can, I think we'll definitely be auto promotion contenders, if they don't it could be a different story. I said before I'd rather SGE was given 2 or 3 years to build, because I'd be very confident he'd get us promotion if so and we wouldn't be so eager to spend big this summer and could space it out over 2 or 3 years, but that's not going to happen. For me, it'd be very difficult for anyone to get a team promoted in one season given the squad we had at the beginning of June, regardless of budget and it's basically a case of how well this squad can gel.

And I make it £9.25mil we've spent on transfer fees so far.

Archived