The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Cork will do well, and with him in the team I think we have a strong midfield for the Championship. Hopefully a CB will be signed soon and another Striker, with perhaps a winger aswell for cover. We've been linked to Gary Roberts from Hudders but I have no idea how good he is.

Guest Gman11

Best bit of news whilst the forums been down? Signing some keepers.

Apart from that it's just been bad news after news :(.

Would rather have Leigertwood than Cork.

Brighton fans getting excited at the prospect of signing Jem Karacan for a small amount of compensation because "he's only played half a season in the Championship" :D Err, two seasons' worth of appearances in the past two and a half seasons, and he isn't out of contract.

Kermorgant's bagged himself a goal and is apparently having a stormer in our first pre-season friendly right now. :)

Would actually love to see him given a chance. Feel a bit sorry for him after the way he was shipped out for missing a penalty.

Guest Gman11

Who are you actually playing though? I mean pre-season friendlies aren't the best way to judge a players ability :D.

Really looking like our opening game against you will be very much a game of the have's vs the have not's atm :(. That said I've not been massively impressed with your spending so far.

I know friendlies aren't the best way to judge a player's ability, just happy to see Yann doing well.

As for our signings, we're just building a good Championship squad, rather than spending on one or two big named players. Our squad was very thin, particularly in defence when all our loans went back, so I think it's what was needed.

We're still not there yet though. Still need a striker (Maynard?), a winger (Routledge?) and 2-3 more defenders (Vitor? Konchesky? Other?) though. Certainly if we get those 4 or 5 or similar players then I think we'll have a squad which is good enough for the top 6 and possibly the top 2.

Guest Gman11

Yeah I'm not saying it will be a bad team and you've signed plenty of good championship players. It's just the amount of dosh you're throwing around to acquire good championship players would worry me if I was a Leciester fan. I mean the amount you paid for Matt Mills is ridiculous.

ahh it's good to be back. MLG trolling as always. The fact that James was man enough to accept the club couldn't afford to offer him a new higher paid deal it made sense for him just to let it go. Although if there was an FA Cup final at the end of it maybe Brown would of changed his mind. Good signing though, work rate is second to none, strong in the tackle and tbf he didn't put in many stupid tackles at us.

If Jason Pearce can force his way past Halford, Ben Haim and Rocha and get in the team I think he could prove an excellent signing for £300k.

It's going to be an excellent season with all the local games, would of been great to have Bournemouth as well but lets not get greedy! :)

Yeah I'm not saying it will be a bad team and you've signed plenty of good championship players. It's just the amount of dosh you're throwing around to acquire good championship players would worry me if I was a Leciester fan. I mean the amount you paid for Matt Mills is ridiculous.

Doesn't worry me at all. If Mills is a key part of the team that gets promotion then he'll have repaid back that fee 10 times over. I know it may be reckless, but it's far more exciting than sitting in lower-mid-table going slowly bakrupt anyway, like we were under Levein, Kelly et al. a few years back and a a bit like yourselves have been doing in recent years. We'd have ended up bankrupt under that regime eventually anyway, so if we're going to go bankrupt may as well do it in style with a bit of excitement and false hope. :p

I'm not too bothered about individual transfer fees and with St. Ledger here and Vitor looking likely to come back on another season long loan and Mee possibly coming back, there's no guarantee Mills will be first-choice or playing every week anyway.

I know what you're getting at about individual fees regarding Mills etc., but I like to think we're putting in all this money to get many good Championship players as apposed to one or two excellent Championship players. We're just trying to build a good Championship squad with 2 or 3 good players and competition in every position to last an entire 46 game season, rather than an excellent first-choice XI which will become weak as soon as there are any injuries or a player hits poor form. If it works, we shall see, but I think it's a pretty sensible way to approach it.

Guest Gman11

I would prefer my club didn't go bankrupt full-stop tbh :D. But yes it looks like we're pretty close to admin despite having a pretty low wage bill for this league and not exactly having spent a ton in terms of transfers.

Haha, well, talk of the devil! Konchesky deal just been announced as done. Flying to Sweden for the medical and to join the rest of the squad (assuming he passes it). Just been on EMT.

ahh it's good to be back. MLG trolling as always.

Hardly trolling, I just said I believed it to be harsh to criticise someone that takes a stand against their employer for not honouring something agreed in their contract. it is not like Pompey don't have the money to pay him if they really wanted to.

Hardly trolling, I just said I believed it to be harsh to criticise someone that takes a stand against their employer for not honouring something agreed in their contract. it is not like Pompey don't have the money to pay him if they really wanted to.

as has been pointed out theough, they didnt dishonour his contract, if they did, they would have just kept playing him and not offered him a new one

Surely if we had money we wouldn't worry about his contract. Brown was stupid to think that the clause was actually going to be activated, and then his stupidity of sitting on the sidelines for 6 months and lose that match fitness you need at that age. In fact id be surprised if he had the same level of performance imo.

as has been pointed out theough, they didnt dishonour his contract, if they did, they would have just kept playing him and not offered him a new one

By having an incentive clause in the contract and then refusing him the opportunity to trigger the clause under any circumstances is a little dishonourable imo. Imagine if your employer did similar?

Surely if we had money we wouldn't worry about his contract. Brown was stupid to think that the clause was actually going to be activated' date=' and then his stupidity of sitting on the sidelines for 6 months and lose that match fitness you need at that age. In fact id be surprised if he had the same level of performance imo.[/quote']

Stupid for thinking his employer would give him the opportunity to trigger a clause they offered him in the first place?

Pompey even before the Convers takeover were spending more money than they should have and annoyed other Premier League and Championship teams by offering large wages. They just didn't want Brown on a large wage, if they wanted they could have paid it by not signing Kitson and Lawrence.

Are you going to make a Saints thread this season MLG?

Will do soon.

Are you going to make a Saints thread this season MLG?

No real point is there? This will be where most of the chat happens with other fans or Saintsweb for mainly Saints.

Jack Cork :cool:

Although I'll ignore the fact that 3 of our midfielders next season played for us the season we went down from this league.

I heard you would be paying him about 40k p/w? That's just ridiculous.

yeah, 25k a week to mills too, i imagine their other signings must be on pretty good money too, would be interesting to know how much money their owners actually have, some basic research told me that the owner ( though i could be misunderstanding the ownership arrangement ) has about 185 million? now thats a fair bit, sure, but konchesky alone is taking over 2 million a year of that, if hes on a 3-4 year contract ( i dont know if he is or not, just guessing :D ) that could easily be close to 8-10 million total cost for 3-4 years wages, bonuses, signing on fees and ( if there is one ) transfer fee. 8-10 million is a fair chunk off of that 185 million for one player, especially one who isnt young.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the owners are taking a massive gamble on going up this season.

£185million is Raksriaksorn's personal wealth. King Power are reportedly worth around £3-4billion.

Where have you heard the £40k a week? I saw cms mention it earlier but haven't seen it written anywhere else.

yeah, 25k a week to mills too, i imagine their other signings must be on pretty good money too, would be interesting to know how much money their owners actually have, some basic research told me that the owner ( though i could be misunderstanding the ownership arrangement ) has about 185 million? now thats a fair bit, sure, but konchesky alone is taking over 2 million a year of that, if hes on a 3-4 year contract ( i dont know if he is or not, just guessing :D ) that could easily be close to 8-10 million total cost for 3-4 years wages, bonuses, signing on fees and ( if there is one ) transfer fee. 8-10 million is a fair chunk off of that 185 million for one player, especially one who isnt young.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the owners are taking a massive gamble on going up this season.

Copied this from another forum where this Leicester fan explains about the owners

Our owners, with their own company included in this relationship, are worth a hell of a lot of money. £Billions?

The big difference here is they are putting their company's image into the mix with LCFC. For them this is about branding and moving "King Power" into the European market. Basically LCFC is a means to achieve another end goal.

They mean business and will continue to spend. Unlike the times here with Milan M, form whom LCFC and Portsmouth were just an ego fuelled jolly.

As for where we'll finish? I have to agree all this spending does not guarantee success. The only thing that comforts me (at the moment) is I can't see them giving up spending until we're in the Prem. This is all about KING POWER!!

Where have you heard the £40k a week? I saw cms mention it earlier but haven't seen it written anywhere else.

A number of media outlets (including the Leicester Mercury) are reporting he is currently on an estimated £40k p/w, I doubt he would take a massive pay cut so it may well be close(ish) to that sort of figure.

This is what the Mercury says...

Konchesky is known to Eriksson, who gave him his two international caps when he was England manager, and it is understood he would be prepared to take a significant cut in his reported £40,000-a-week wages.

Even if he had a significant cut of £10k, taking it down to £30k, that is still a huge figure in the Championship.

Doesn't worry me at all. If Mills is a key part of the team that gets promotion then he'll have repaid back that fee 10 times over.

I'm not too bothered about individual transfer fees and with St. Ledger here and Vitor looking likely to come back on another season long loan and Mee possibly coming back, there's no guarantee Mills will be first-choice or playing every week anyway.

I bet you could have got a better player than Mills for less than you paid for him. Alex Pearce, for one, who you wouldn't have had competition for (though I'm not sure he'd have taken a sideways step).

Sorry, but who breaks their transfer record and then doesn't pick that player? ;)

Guest Gman11

We sold Scott Dann for 3.5 million plus add-ons to Brum a few years back. So the fee for Mills really does seem pretty big.

I bet you could have got a better player than Mills for less than you paid for him. Alex Pearce, for one, who you wouldn't have had competition for (though I'm not sure he'd have taken a sideways step).

Sorry, but who breaks their transfer record and then doesn't pick that player? ;)

We could well have done, but hey ho, that's life, SGE got Mills because he thought he'd suit and benefit our squad and our owners were prepared to pay that fee. SGE has worked with Mills before at Manchester City, he knows his personality, his off-the-field persona, how he can adapt to situations etc. and he obviously made a judgement based on this that he'd fit really well into our current squad, he doesn't know any of that about Pearce, so it would have been much more of a risk as to whether he thought he'd fit in or not, Pearce could be great for you but it doesn't mean he would have adapted to our squad and style of play at all, we only have to look at Jack Hobbs to see how a player can be so good in one style of play and under one manager's managerial style and so poor under another's. As I said, if Mills helps us get promoted then he'll pay back his transfer fee many times over, given the huge amounts of money that comes in from getting promotion.

He hasn't broken our transfer record (yet) and SGE rotates his squad a hell of lot and always says he likes to put pressure on individuals by having several players competing in the same position. It's not Mills in particular, it's that there's no guarantee anyone in our squad will be first-choice or playing every week, that's just SGE's management style.

After bring him through the academy from a young age, Southampton sold Matthew Mills for £250k, would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. :(:D

That's nothing. We released Charlie Austin, then lost Connor Wickham on a free when his dad transfered from Aldershot to Colchester. Combined value: £14m. Or, another way, four seasons' worth of transfers out.

So Blackpool lose Charlie Adam to Liverpool, Vaughan to Sunderland and then Leeds sign Rachubka (who'd left anyway). They sign Kevin Phillips, Matt Hill and Bojan Djordjic. 2 decent signings there. Phillips can still do a job in the Championship and will get chances at Blackpool alongside DJ Campbell.

But campbell wont be there, bid has been accepted for him.

This is what the Mercury says...

Even if he had a significant cut of £10k, taking it down to £30k, that is still a huge figure in the Championship.

Except you have no idea what the significant cut it, it could be £3, it could be £3,ooo it could be £30,ooo

Andy Taylor took a significant cut in his wages to go to cardiff it was around 50%

Now that the Maynard and Yakubu deals are dead, have to say the alternatives we have been linked with with regards to strikers really don't fill me with confidence.

Just have to hope that either Nugent is up to leading the line in this side or that Kermorgant can fulfill those glimpses of potential he showed with us under Pearson. I guess King and Gallagher are going to have to chip in with a lot of goals again this season.

Surely Kermorgant wont play next season will he? It would cause an outrage amongst many! Can you imagine! :D

I think SGE is likely to just go on his ability and what he sees in training. I doubt he is stupid enough as some of our fans to not want the player for missing a penalty. I hope not anyway!

Archived