The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Full time: Saints 3-0 Werder Bremen :cool:

That was a 45 minute game. Now Werder Bremen vs Athletic Bilbao. And then at 7pm Southampton vs Athletic Bilbao for this trophy...

scaled.php?tn=0&server=737&filename=x7qrl.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Markus Liebherr Memorial Cup

Pity there were so few fans there then....

Haha, okay then, not all teams. :D

We have Kettering on Wednesday.

Already played Nuneaton and Hinckley. Think we are just trying to play all the local non league teams to makes us feel like were not crap :D

Already played Nuneaton and Hinckley. Think we are just trying to play all the local non league teams to makes us feel like were not crap :D

I was hoping we'd be at Hinckley or Nuneaton this year so I could go but we haven't been for 2 or 3 years now. :(

if you're "close" to a deal for another centre back, its unlikely to be chambers, hes just flown out to stuttgart for tomorrows friendly there and is set to start

not bad, the friendly was in aalen ;)

tom soares also linked from stoke

don't know anything about him though

Reading born, good Championship player. Palace went downhill rapidly after him and Watson left. He'll beef up the midfield a bit (in terms of numbers).

Never forget. :p Make you appreciate the position we are in right now when you remember how poor we really were for several years only a few seasons ago.

Andy Johnson, Jason Jarrett, Stephen Hughes, Alan Maybury, Peter Canero, Jordan Stewart *shudders*

Funnily enough though, the worst player I have ever seen for Leicester I would say was DJ Campbell, but then he has come good for Blackpool, it's amazing how one player can do really well at one club and be awful at another.

Gradel wasn't a bad player for us though! He showed flashes of genius, he was just inconsistent, I think we all knew he had potential though. We were absolutely robbed for the price we got for him. :(

Trevor Benjamin was one of those players for us who was so painfully out of his depth that you kind of felt sorry for him and so he became somewhat of a cult hero.

I think he has played for about 10 more teams than even Steve Claridge has and he's still going.

Think this week will see the end of it either way anyway, our board said they want it sorted by August. Starting to think maybe it would be best for him to go - we've got other decent strikers but really really need a centre back and left back.

mears and eagles off to bolton tomorrow for £3 million combined. both only had a year left on their contract and appear to have made it known they wouldnt sign any kind of extension so cashing in was our only option really. odd signings by coyle though, cant see either of them being anything other than bench-warmers and i would imagine £3 million if a large chunk of their budget.

a lot of work for howe to do now if we have any chance of pushing for promotion. eagles, mears, alexander, carlisle, iwelumo and cork gone and only ben mee in. :-/

Think this week will see the end of it either way anyway, our board said they want it sorted by August. Starting to think maybe it would be best for him to go - we've got other decent strikers but really really need a centre back and left back.

I agree, SGE has come out and said he's almost certain a couple more players are coming in before the end of the season and that if we don't land Maynard we have other options for a striker, so I think we will either get him or move onto the other option(s) by the end of the week.

Who else you looking at?

Absolutely no idea, SGE not naming names.

Though 2 names who have been briefly linked in papers etc. are Ched Evans, who I can't say excites me and Billy Sharp who I'd be happy with. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake also been mentioned a bit on one of our forums, but probably baseless and doubt he would come anyway, though a 2 time Championship golden boot winner would obviously have the potential to be a fantastic signing!

Nah, me neither, though SGE has worked with him before, so knows what he is about more than I do so I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd be very happy with any of Maynard, Sharp or SEB though. Of course, it's all about how they perform with Leicester, as said earlier with DJ Campbell a player can be great at one club and not or another or vice versa. Nugent could just end up having a great season and being the man we need for all we know at this point.

It will probably end up being none of those now and someone completely different :p, but I'm sure that we'll definitely be getting another striker in, probably before the start of the season, but certainly before the end of the transfer window.

Forgot to mention the other day that we appointed Lee Carsley as a youth coach. Quite a weird appointment as we actually released him and he was unattached for about 2 months before we then approached him to take up a coaching role. I even saw an interview he gave to Sky a few weeks back about saying he was looking at finding a new club and how it was the first time he'd been without a club. Anyway thought he probably had another year in him and he seemed to want to continue playing so I'm surprised to see him take up a pure coaching role (as opposed to player/coach).

On a different subject the media rarely take much interest in us but I think they've actually now completely forgotten about us. We've only been linked to 2 players all summer both of which we actually signed (also the links only came from the local paper as well). I mean I haven't seen a transfer rumour involving us for about 3 weeks now :(.

i've seen an article involving coventry. it was talking about how much **** you're in.

forest have been linked with ebanks-blake too, but again could just be via fans.

rumours earnshaw is having hamstring troubles?

you'd be surprised mate, i've got it on good authority that our wage cap is 10k per week and only 2 or 3 players are on that

johnson left because he was on 6k per week and wanted 8k per week and we wouldn't offer it, he's now at norwich on god knows what

take into account that we already pay the highest ticket prices and have the highest gates, you've gotta ask as a leeds fan where is the money going? museums hotels etc?

you will see a bit of change at leeds this season with bates honeymoon period coming to an end, people are seriously getting fed up of the crook

so how comes the Alan Smith, Woodgate rumours etc were given so much airtime?

you could still outdo us for a player mind you, it's getting really frustrating now.

andy lonergan has signed for leeds according to reports from phil brown

will be official on monday

finally our search for 2 keepers is over and we can concentrate on our weak midfield now

Is he any good EM? I am struggling to get excited with all these keeper signings!!!

Archived