The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah Waghorn doesn't have the greatest scoring record, I'd rather have the extra money to spend on defenders.

Especially when you consider a good proportion of the goals he has scored for us were penalties. Not that that makes them less legitimate or anything, but if you already have a good penalty taker then it would suggest he would have scored even less for you.

Especially when you consider a good proportion of the goals he has scored for us were penalties. Not that that makes them less legitimate or anything, but if you already have a good penalty taker then it would suggest he would have scored even less for you.

Laughed at the 1.5 million valuation in the Mirror earlier - though looking at the current market that's probably not far off!

Laughed at the 1.5 million valuation in the Mirror earlier - though looking at the current market that's probably not far off!

He gets overrated because he works hard and shows "passion" imo. I'm sure I've had this little rant about him before on here, but it's the typical English fans attitude, run your socks off and sections of the crowd will deify you regardless of how much of an effective player you actually are. His technique and footballing intelligence really aren't up to Championship standard for me, his whole game basically revolves around his hard work and chasing the ball down and I don't think he's even particularly effective in doing this.

What's more is that his affection from our fans seemed to go through the roof when he missed the penalty in the play-off final and started crying. That about sums him up, seems everyone who goes on about how good he is tends to go on about how much he "cares for the club" and how "passionate" he is rather than actually stating any attributes he has a player.

I actually saw more than one post on one of our forums about this rumoured swap deal that said they didn't want it to go through as selling Waghorn for Maynard would seem like the club was selling their soul. :rolleyes:

He gets overrated because he works hard and shows "passion" imo. I'm sure I've had this little rant about him before on here, but it's the typical English fans attitude, run your socks off and sections of the crowd will deify you regardless of how much of an effective player you actually are. His technique and footballing intelligence really aren't up to Championship standard for me, his whole game basically revolves around his hard work and chasing the ball down and I don't think he's even particularly effective in doing this.

What's more is that his affection from our fans seemed to go through the roof when he missed the penalty in the play-off final and started crying. That about sums him up, seems everyone who goes on about how good he is tends to go on about how much he "cares for the club" and how "passionate" he is rather than actually stating any attributes he has a player.

I actually saw more than one post on one of our forums about this rumoured swap deal that said they didn't want it to go through as selling Waghorn for Maynard would seem like the club was selling their soul. :rolleyes:

That's how our fans feel about Louis Carey I think sometimes, cause he loves the club they are prepared to look past the fact that he has lost a lot with age.

QPR have offered to swap Jason Puncheon for Kaspars Gorkss according to the Press Association.

I'd take that, as Puncheon really isn't needed at Saints with Lallana, Chamberlain, Guly do Prado and De Ridder offering wide options and Jason has an attitude problem (hence the multiple clubs in his career).

Although Ammar Jemal still seems a possibility for a new centre back.

Has it been mentioned yet that David Stockdale has opted to join Ipswich?

Also Blackpool have signed ANOTHER striker, Craig Sutherland who turned down Reading to join, according to the BBC. They've signed two defenders so far iirc, Matt Hill and someone from Newport County I think.

Has it been mentioned yet that David Stockdale has opted to join Ipswich?

Also Blackpool have signed ANOTHER striker, Craig Sutherland who turned down Reading to join, according to the BBC. They've signed two defenders so far iirc, Matt Hill and someone from Newport County I think.

Robert Harriss another defender they have signed.

And I doubt Blackpool will sign Goodiwllie, if they do I wouldn't be too fussed.

Cardiff interested in Craig Fagan and Jordan Mutch apparently.

I don't know about Stockdale, he seems to get hyped a lot, but for us he was very average in League One. Before that he'd never been proven above League Two level and since then he played in a relegated Plymouth side and played about 6 or 7 games for Fulham. I'm not really sure where his hype and rise in stock has come from.

Just back from Forest Green, won 3-1 but to be honest they were awful, their goal was a penalty for a dodgy handball. Still didnt look great despite the win mind, some of our younger players did well (Lennox and Reid) and Pitman had 2 good finishes.

I don't know about Stockdale, he seems to get hyped a lot, but for us he was very average in League One. Before that he'd never been proven above League Two level and since then he played in a relegated Plymouth side and played about 6 or 7 games for Fulham. I'm not really sure where his hype and rise in stock has come from.

He got an England call up because he was one of three non-retired English goalkeepers starting for PL clubs at the time. That has caused 100% of the hype around him.

according to a few media outlets, birmingham could be forced to sell off a load of players to free up some cash, as their owners money is frozen due to his court case and the holding companies shares have been suspended, no idea if its true or not ( only paper ive seen it in is the mirror :D ) but seems a bit big to just make up?

according to a few media outlets, birmingham could be forced to sell off a load of players to free up some cash, as their owners money is frozen due to his court case and the holding companies shares have been suspended, no idea if its true or not ( only paper ive seen it in is the mirror :D ) but seems a bit big to just make up?

How long till they get repossessed by the Hong Kong government like West Ham was by the Icelandic government (iirc)?

• SI Staff

Been a while since I popped in here. These are my thoughts on the thread over the last few days:

I still think West Ham and Birmingham have strong squads on paper and should be the favourites though.
Think Birmingham look good for promotion.

Not a hope. If we stay up Hughton is a miracle-worker. We have the smallest squad in the division already with more (Foster, Ridgewell, Dann) to go in the Blues sale.

Yeah been rumours that Birmingham have to flog off the entire team for a week or two now.

Roll up, all available for peanuts. Good riddance in many cases, though yet another example of Premiership failure ending up being of benefit to the failures (players). They can go down knowing they'll get a new deal and signing-on fee elsewhere. And no doubt a loyalty bonus (hahahahahahahaha) from us too.

I have to admit though I wouldn't trade my last 5 years for anything' date=' all the Euro trips, the FA Cup runs, everything. Overspending ftw. It's great fun, but eventually you'll come back down, the punishments just aren't matching the benefits of over spending. If like a couple of clubs wanted last year, that if you go into admin you get two relegations, would begin to put on the pressure to make sure clubs are going to be sustainable. They don't have to break even but the owners have to underwrite losses for a period of time. That's the issue, owners come in take all the fun, then bugger off when they aren't interested anymore.[/quote']

We didn't even get to an FA Cup semi in our overspending era. So I'd def trade it all in for a solid club owned by local people with Birmingham city at heart. But I'm a dreamer and this is the modern world of football. Pop will indeed eat itself.

Back to trivia...

We're on the verge of signing Swiss international Gelson Fernandes from Saint-Etienne apparently. Played under SGE at ManCity.

Great signing imho.

I've been saying all along, West Ham are going to absolutely walk this league. Their squad for this level is ridiculous.

I'm prepared to say that they won't. They had the worst team in the Prem last season, even with the Best Player in England Last Season (c. the London press). Their strike force is ordinary. Defence weak. Leicester look a much surer bet than West Ham.

Of course, as long as the Davids are happy to finance their wages.

To the Reading fans, how likely are the Shane Long to join us rumours? Surely there will be prem clubs in for him?

Rumours of West Brom and Liverpool. As far as I can understand West Brom offered £7M for him which was rejected and West Ham have offered £5M + £3M addons which was also rejected. If West Ham offered £8M up front I think he'd be yours by the weekend.

Didn't Reading say yesterday they wouldn't sell to another Champ club? Obviously that may change if silly money was thrown at them.

They have said that in the past but I reckon in £8-9M was put in front of them they would go for it with Longy only having 1 year left on his contract.

Leicester close to signing Michael Johnson....another SGE favourite then!

At this rate, by the time the transfer window closes we are essentially just going to be the Manchester City side of 2008. :D

PREDICTIONS

1 west ham united

2 leicester city

3 blackpool

4 reading

5 hull city

6 burnley* - play off winners

7 southampton

8 nottingham forest

9 cardiff city

10 brighton and hove albion

11 middlesbrough

12 leeds united

13 ipswich town

14 portsmouth

15 birmingham city

16 doncaster rovers

17 bristol city

18 millwall

19 watford

20 crystal palace

21 derby county

22 peterborough united

23 barnsley

24 coventry city

obviously we'll lose to barnsley first game of the season and i'll look a complete prat, but just saying

Archived