The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its no suprise that he looks off balance in most of those goals and fluked a good finish, even Nathan "Worst finisher in the league" Tyson can fluke the odd good finish now and again:

All eight of his career goals there.

Like the moment at the end when 3'3 Jay Tabb bundles 12'7 Dele Adebola.

Reading having a poor pre-season. Beat some nobodies 7-0, lost 3-1 today to a Turkish top flight side, and the "development squad" have P 4 W1 D1 L2, losing to Eastleigh and Woking.

its no suprise that he looks off balance in most of those goals and fluked a good finish, even Nathan "Worst finisher in the league" Tyson can fluke the odd good finish now and again:

I hardly claimed he was a good finisher did I :D. He used to score about 8-10 goals a season in the championship though and was an awesome target man. Just such a cult player.

• SI Staff

Time to derail the thread - who is your club's current cult player?

At our level, ok so it remains serious, but having cult players makes it much more fun, whether you are blowing promotion, mid-table or battling away. My favourite Blues cult player in recent years was Stern John. I realise Cov and Forest fans may not love him, but we got him at just the right time for him to be both cult and any good.

Nobody cult at our place yet, in my eyes anyway. (Disclaimer: the players I like at Blues are never the ones that the majority of Blues fans like)

We've signed George Boateng on one year deal. Seems strange to sign him tbh. We now have Greening, Boateng, Moose, Cohen, Majewski, McGugan and Reid who can all play in central midfield. We also have Freeman who apparently bossed the midfield in the second half against the Spurs XI on Friday.

Stern John was a quality player on his day but my god was he a lazy fecking bastard. Richard Keogh is probably the closest thing we currently have to a cult player before that it was probably Michael Doyle.

We've signed George Boateng on one year deal. Seems strange to sign him tbh. We now have Greening, Boateng, Moose, Cohen, Majewski, McGugan and Reid who can all play in central midfield. We also have Freeman who apparently bossed the midfield in the second half against the Spurs XI on Friday.

freemans a fullback though and only a youth player, and yeah, boateng seems a weird one, but at least we have plenty of back up there now, now we need a ****ing left back :D

um quite clearly guy moussi is the cult player at forest. mooooooooooooooooooose + 1765.jpg + getting himself sent off after celebrating a last minute goal vs barnsley + the odd screamer + his ability to look completely out of control of his limbs but completely in control of the ball.

Stern John used to have a reputation for always scoring against us :(

he didn't score against you, but didnt he score the vital goal for southampton that kept them up at your expense? i might be wrong

That'll be Pearson's team that relegated us, before he then saved us :)

Would have been interesting to see how we'd have got on with this takeover money if NP was still here. I know Sousa was a bigger name so they wanted him in etc., but Pearson was treated really shittily considering what he did for us.

If these quotes are direct quotes (ie not his words being twisted) then bye bye Alex :(

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3703856/Southamptons-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-has-stated-his-desire-to-join-a-top-four-club-like-Arsenal.html

If he is to go sell him ASAP and use the money wisely

Ego much?

the kid is 17 what a liberty. not a clue. hope he goes to Arsenal and then turns out not to be as good as the hype like Walcott

Ego much?

the kid is 17 what a liberty. not a clue. hope he goes to Arsenal and then turns out not to be as good as the hype like Walcott

just out of curiosity, how hasnt walcott lived up to the hype? hes a regular starter for his club and country, what more did you expect him to do? :D

Kev McNaughton followed by Paul Quinn are Cardiff's cult hero's.

KENNY MILLER signing for Cardiff apparently, wasn't expecting us to win the battle.

Goodwillie porbably will sign after his court case Thursday.

And FILIP KISS is to sign for Cardiff on a season long loan from Slovakian side Slovan Bratislava!

Think Alex will be better than Theo in the long run. Different players though. Chamberlain is much better technically and his dad fancies him as a central midfield player in the long run. Theo see's himself as a striker in the long run.

Meh to that article. I'd be surprised if a few select quotes haven't been left out. He comes across quite well in my opinion. Ambitious but not that big of an ego as he is quite clearly conscious that top clubs will forget about him if he doesn't move soon. Think if a good price is not agreed then it will be down to some good management from Cortese and Adkins to keep his head up and tell him a good season for us in the Championship and Arsenal will be back. Worried slightly about the comment about not wanting to get injured if he does stay, will only mean he's not giving his best next season, but like I said, that's down to some good management to encourage that out of him.

Time to derail the thread - who is your club's current cult player?

We have two. Kébé, obviously, but he's been consistently amazing for eighteen months or so now, so he's a bit too good to be cult. Then there's Mathieu Manset, who is Kébé of old in muscular striker form. Michail Antonio was also on the way to being a cult player, but his awful form at the end of the season tipped the balance towards "bad player".

he's not very good

He's no Ronaldo, granted, but he's a pretty good player.

Archived