The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone who was at Oldham last year. I think he's a striker. I thought Cov were going into administration so they're current board are selling off players to try and avoid it.

G-Man able to explain. I wouldnn't mind Clingan back at Forest as back up. Unfortunately I don't think we have any money to spend.

We've stated that Clingan isn't for sale btw. Doesn't mean that we wont sell him mind.

As I said in the Cov thread earlier it would be better for us to lose him on a free next season than sell him atm.

according to Steve McClaren, who spoke to a nottm journo just before kick off in our first pre-season game, we have "a very good chance" of signing routledge

I hope not! That would be another one of our targets we have missed out on. :(

This is why I hate the fact SGE has to get promotion this season, would rather he was given 2 or 3 years to build.

I hope not! That would be another one of our targets we have missed out on. :(

This is why I hate the fact SGE has to get promotion this season, would rather he was given 2 or 3 years to build.

stop being so greedy :p

Routledge nothing on Chamberlain. :cool:

Shame we won't keep him. :(

He didn't leave in January when all the papers and Sky said he would. He wasn't at Arsenal's training ground in Jaunary when the Mail said he was (he was on a coach to the Tranmere game at the time). He didn't leave on 1st July like the Mirror said he would. The media doesn't have a clue.

He didn't leave in January when all the papers and Sky said he would. He wasn't at Arsenal's training ground in Jaunary when the Mail said he was (he was on a coach to the Tranmere game at the time). He didn't leave on 1st July like the Mirror said he would. The media doesn't have a clue.

I agree the media just seems to be picking random dates and prices and hoping they come off but to think the media is just making it up all together is incredibly naive. Clearly discussions have taken place. Adkins said as much a week or so ago but no bids are on the table. I'd be shocked if a price hasn't been quoted and Arsenal are just trying to wait in the hope it comes down or are focusing more established targets first before coming back to us. I don't think making him their first signing would be great PR especially if it is around the same time Nasri and Fabregas might leave, but I think they could certainly get away with spending a fair bit on him if they buy well before him and start the season well. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season here, bags the winner in the first game against Leeds on Sky and boosts his rep which would make Arsenal more keen.

I don't know what's going to happen. I certainly can't say for certain he'll stay or go because I think it depends on a lot of things. Clearly he'd be stupid to not want to go but equally I'm glad he isn't doing a Modric and handing in transfer requests. I'm just being pessimistic so I'm not too disappointed if he does go.

1-0 Defeat to Chelsea. I really do like watching Norris, glad we have a proper captain now. Mokoena, Lawrence, Kitson not really captain type material. Especially in a Cotterill team. We look like we are playing a high tempo game, getting it forward asap and hunting down the ball as a pack. Not pretty but losing is not pretty either so what ever gets results. Be good to see who is added to that team as Cotts is after 5 more players, be a pretty decent squad stronger than last years team definitely. :thup:

Surprised at that tbh. I never bother with pre-season friendlies full-stop unless it's something like a testimonial or the event with Jimmy Hill last year (and those are normally friendlies just before the season starts). The early ones I don't even normally know who we're playing!

Well, I'm hearing we're back in for Yakubu which would suggest we don't think we can get Maynard.

edit: Could always be a ploy to try and force Bristol City into action of course, like what we did with Konchesky, said we'd moved on to other targets so that they stopped dawdling and accept the bid. Just speculation though.

The transfer fee is supposedly only £3.5mil which could reach £5.3mil with add-ons anyway, the vast majority of which will probably be based on whether we get promotion or not, in which case Maynard, if he helps us to promotion, would have paid that fee back many times over.

Yeah, but if he has another good season then we wouldn't be able to get him at the end of the season, would we? There'd be Premier League clubs willing to take a risk on him for free.

That's true, but with 5.3m they could comofrtably get a 25 goal a season striker , and with the current Leicester team, and still more money to spend I'd be expecting them to get to the Prem anyway ;)

remember when sven last had money? that ended well

As a manager? You mean Lazio? Yep, you're right it did end really well.

As a minor role negotiating transfers at Notts County? Well, they won the league too.

How does the fact that the Notts County owners didn't exist have anything to do with his managerial ability anyway, especially given that he wasn't even manager there?

Sven was one of Lazio's greatest managers ever? So he did do well.

Wasn't manager of Notts but they won the league, at Man City Eriksson became the first Manchester City manager since 1969–70 to win both league derby games against Manchester United and also achieved the club's joint highest Premier League point total, 55 - so he hardly did bad.

As a manager? You mean Lazio? Yep, you're right it did end really well.

As a minor role negotiating transfers at Notts County? Well, they won the league too.

How does the fact that the Notts County owners didn't exist have anything to do with his managerial ability anyway, especially given that he wasn't even manager there?

he had money at man city mate, finished an incredible 7th or 8th iirc, despite spending the most man city had in a very long time

ok it was before they became billionaires but they had a multi millionaire in charge at the time

he had money at man city mate, finished an incredible 7th or 8th iirc, despite spending the most man city had in a very long time

ok it was before they became billionaires but they had a multi millionaire in charge at the time

And that was also ManCity's highest league finish and highest points total in a very long time as well and he didn't spend that much, no way as much as the top teams. I think you'll find most City fans will tell you he did a good job for them.

Most people were shocked when he was sacked at the time (though we now know it was probably because of the new takeover) and ManCity fans protested outside their ground when he was.

has this been done yet for us?

Millwall

Player to watch out for this season: Josh McQuoid... watch this space

Dream Season: Beating West Ham 6 times in a year (twice in league, two play-off matches, league cup, FA cup)

Nightmare Season: wont happen, not worth specualting

Best Ground ( other than your own ) in the league: Brightons new ground LOOKS absolutely amazing, drove past it last weekend. St Mary's is very good too.

Worst Ground in the league: Coventry, awful souless bowl probably owned by tesco with a faggy announcer trying to gee up the half empty stadium

Most Hated Team in the League: Apart from us?

Where should Away fans go before the game?: they;'re not welcome

Player to watch out for this season: No idea myself!, Don Cowie probably, Joe Mason as well!

Dream Season: Gypos relegated, administration, Cardiff promo!

Nightmare Season: Relegation, the gypos stay up

Best Ground ( other than your own ) in the league: Brighton :)

Worst Ground in the league: Elland Road

Most Hated Team in the League: Leeds, Millwall, West Ham.

Where should Away fans go before the game?: Town

Archived