The 2011-2012 Manchester United thread - We've got our trophy back

BBB

I wouldn't say it's even better news.

As much as I love Scholes and Giggs, it's a bit of a shambles really that we are still needing them so much. Yes they both have enough to offer, that I do notdispute. But how long is it going to go on with us constantly renewing contracts of players who are 36+ because we don't have anyone younger who can be relied upon more?

People were saying we needed to look to replace them both years ago, and frankly nothing has changed in that regard, which is a bit depresing.

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ tomtuck: Yeh I get that, I think it's fairly obvious though that Anderson and Nani were both brought in as the eventual replacements; one of them has pretty much flopped and the latter is now a key player. Personally though, I think we could get away without Giggs, but Scholes is still better than most central midfielders in the world.

As much as I love Scholes and Giggs, it's a bit of a shambles really that we are still needing them so much.

Absolutely. I really think Giggs should have retired at the end of last season, perhaps taken on a coaching role at the club if he wants to go down that route. Seems like sentiment is ruling over sound judgement there. Scholes is a different matter though as he's still brilliant (and weighed in with a handful of goals last season which surprised me). Will be a sad day when Giggs, Scholes and Fergie are finished at United though. Pretty much dreading it.

I love Giggs, can't say anything bad about a legend like him :) But I really believe his time is over. Scholes might be a nice option to have when a lot of injured players, but I wouldn't want him to play such an important role as this year. It's time for younger players to prove themselves. I would really like 2 youngsters to be given the chances instead of Scholes and Giggs.

People who are saying we should move Giggs and Scholes on don't seem to realise the importance of these two in the 'handing over' to the next generation of players. We currently have a lot of young guys coming through (jones, smalling, de gea, Evans, twins etc) so to have these two's experience on the training ground and in the dressing room etc is imperative IMO, for the next season or two at least. We need figureheads like this at the club for as long as possible IMO, these set the example for the utd way of doing things.

Playing wise, obviously they're not what they were, but can still be effective in tight games and from the bench.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should be starting with them, absolutely not. Just saying they contribute an awful lot off the pitch as well. And again, not saying they should just be coaches either (eventually, yes) but i'd rather have Scholes coming off the bench than Anderson right now? and would rather Giggs than Park.

People who are saying we should move Giggs and Scholes on don't seem to realise the importance of these two in the 'handing over' to the next generation of players. We currently have a lot of young guys coming through (jones, smalling, de gea, Evans, twins etc) so to have these two's experience on the training ground and in the dressing room etc is imperative IMO, for the next season or two at least. We need figureheads like this at the club for as long as possible IMO, these set the example for the utd way of doing things.

Playing wise, obviously they're not what they were, but can still be effective in tight games and from the bench.

Well, I personally never said they should be moved on, just said that after so many years of discussions about needing to replace them, we are still so relient on the pair of them.

I'd rather Anderson wasn't here any more if he can't get minutes ahead of Scholes or Giggs in two years time, same with Park

He was though...at the start of last season when we were playing some of our best football and then injury struck.

I'd rather Anderson wasn't here any more if he can't get minutes ahead of Scholes or Giggs in two years time, same with Park

I see Giggs and Scholes more likely to be at the club in two years than Anderson and Park. If Anderson doesn't leave this summer and continues the way he has been then he'll be gone the next. If Park's energy drops off to where he can't make any reasonable contribution then it'll be the same with him. The thing about Giggs and Scholes is that their talents aren't really reliant on the physical aspects of the game. The main reasons why we've suffered so much when they've played is that there isn't enough energy around them to support their age.

If United turned around and played a 4-2-1-2-1 (4-3-3 with an inverted triangle midfield) of two busy and energetic midfielders then Giggs and Scholes can interchange as the "1" playmaker/creator without any real damage to defending. Essentially a United version of how Milan used to have energy in their midfield to protect Pirlo. Playing like that then it's very conceivable that one or both players are at the club in two years. However that all comes down to what formation SAF is going to be using.

I have a confession - a mate of mine gave me a price of 3/1 that Anderson would score 10 goals for United last season. I'm ashamed to say that I gave him ten English pounds. I've made some terrible bets in my life but that's up there.

I have a confession - a mate of mine gave me a price of 3/1 that Anderson would score 10 goals for United last season. I'm ashamed to say that I gave him ten English pounds. I've made some terrible bets in my life but that's up there.

I'll give you 10/1 on Anderson playing 10 games next season? ;) (not serious)

Should have haggled for at least 6/1. If the team had continued to play as they had in the second half of the Community Shield then you might have been in a chance with that bet with better odds.

How many good games were that before he missed the entire season?

600! :p

Give Ando time, he is still quite young. We wont get a shiny button for him and i doubt he will ask for a payrise at present so lets squeeze this doughboy and see what we get.

If that does not work, we can divest ourselves of him in a couple of years.

In my opinion Giggs is still an excellent option off the bench and still pretty useful on the left. I just don't think he is good enough in the centre.

I think if United get 25-30 games from him across all competitions plus his dressing room presence/respect then it's worth him being around

of course it's worth both of them being around ffs :D

If it's 0-0 away at stoke and we badly need a goal, would still take Scholes and Giggs coming off the bench over Anderson and Park.

as for Anderson, I think this season really is make or break (for me at least), another season of injuries will be seriously detrimental to his progress.

Not too bad keeping Scholes, Giggs is however fast becoming completely useless on the pitch and should have gone this summer imo

You know Giggs will have a blinder until he gets a new contract, he'll probably be a match winner until the end of November.

Forgot who it was now (maybe Jamie Carragher) on SSN the other week saying that Liverpool most likely wont win the league for at least the next 20 years.

Something about needing to put a plan in place ans stick with it rather than chopping and changing managers all the time.

We'll be lucky to win it again in the next ten years with the money those two can throw around, let alone Liverpool.

I can see a few lean years coming throphy wise.

Next ten years will go something like City winning 5, Chelsea 3 and us 2. And that's very hopeful on our part.

Depends heavily on when SAF decides to retire. And Big Malc.

Next ten years will go something like City winning 5, Chelsea 3 and us 2.

City might win it next season but that's about it. Plus, I have no idea what age you are but Chelsea won't win the league again in your lifetime.

Disclaimer: Anything I say in this thread is likely to be absolute nonsense....

Archived