The 2011-2012 Manchester United thread - We've got our trophy back

BBB

So Nike gives us 500M and says have that and we go 'yeah ok we'll take that, no matter how many shirts you sell!"

Not a very good business decision if that's the case.

That's exactly how it works funnily enough. We just licence it out to them, how many they sell is entirely down to them.

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this on PL shirt deals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/9247044/Manchester-Citys-six-year-kit-deal-with-Nike-could-earn-the-Premier-League-leaders-up-to-12million-a-year.html

while Manchester United are confident of securing up to £600 million for a 10-year kit deal when their current £23.5 million, 13-year agreement with Nike expires in 2015.

Just saw this from a dortmund fan on redcafe about Kagawa

hi everyone,

that`s my first post here. I am from dortmund and of course a huge supporter of my domestic club. but i also follow united since 1997. thanks to my uncle who brought me a united jersey from the CL semi finals second leg in 97. since i`m 14/15 i never bought a dortmund jersey again, but i still order a united one every year. my uncle still tells me about the CL semis in old trafford. was one of his greatest football experiences he has ever had. before he left to the game he was a little concerned because of the german/english relationship resp. history, but afer dortmund beat united (with a lot of luck and jürgen kohler) the united fans stood up,applauded and wished everyone good luck for the final. some scarfs were swapped and a lot of beer was drunken. unfortunately i was just 13 at that time and my father didnt allow me to go there (maybe sometime next years).

So, enough about me and my family ;-) and now for shinji:

He`s one of the best footballers i have every seen in dortmund. i quickly noticed that our little 350.000 € signing from somewhere in japan is a hell of a player. I could tell 100 stories about him, his skills, his ability to score and so one. but to cut it short- just watch some videos on youtube or somewhere. often they are "lying" about the true strength of a player, but 100% not on shinji.

here is one for example (but u will find hunderts more):

And now my personal story with kagawa. it was in september 2010 when dortmund played their biggest rivals (sch*lke 04) on an away game. at that game kagawa scored his first two goals for dortmund and lead them to a 3-1 victory. on the same evening 3000 fans were waiting in dortmund for the return of their heroes. it was a huge celebration with the fans, the team and the manager. after we sung about every player somebody put kagawa on his shoulders and ran with him down the street (has to be a scary moment for a young shy japanese guy). after that day the whole club was closer among themselves as ever before. as dortmund won the championship the last to years the players were celebrating with fans on the streets or in "normal" pubs.

thanks shinji- you have been the key for a new culture of football in dortmund. wish you all the best and united a lot of fun with this stunning player.

here some videos from that day(s):

Sch*lke :D I refuse to take idiots like that seriously in any way, shape or form.

Although he's probably not wrong, mind you

I didn't even notice that, what does it mean. Take it, it's like saying Manure or liverpoo etc?

It is funny how we view the words of papers, journalists, agents, politicians and others with skepticism but we take this at face value.

Based on that statement, City were not in the running (they certainly were) and he did not even consider the offers from Real or Barca as he was too young.

It is a well placed comment written by his PR man. If he says, it was a struggle between City and Chelsea then it screams "Money, money, money". By saying United and Chelsea and then mentioning the tripe about the amount of playing time, he can convince more people it was strictly a footballing decision.

We moved on a long time ago and started sealing stuff with Kagawa, no chance we were waiting for Hazard to decide before we got Shinji. The smoke and mirrors of Hazard allowed us to go after Shinji without anyone competing with us.

I have no doubt we weren't waiting on Hazard and whatever happened with him we were always going to sign Kagawa. We pretty much just put in a bid, got it accepted and offered what we felt was right. Think it was Bob Cass who mentioned that adding up wages for the first year, agent fee and transfer fee that Hazard would have cost us 50m.

is he any good at set pieces? I've not seen anything of him but if we've got someone who scores a few free kicks then that would be nice.

No, he isn't. Dortmund don't have many good set pieces taker but after his first pre-season match Kagawa was never allowed to take set pieces again. ;)

Furthermore he can't really cross. If he plays as winger he's more the cut inside type of player.

is he any good at set pieces? I've not seen anything of him but if we've got someone who scores a few free kicks then that would be nice.

He doesn't take them for Japan. Thats usually left to Honda, Endo, and occasionally Nakamura.

So I don't know if he's any good at them.

Aah. Then we know what people will moan about when he is off form and hits a corner short :D

Expected, but great signing and really look forward to see him in the red shirt.

I'm not expecting much else this summer. Pogba off and probably a left back in. Maybe Powell too unless money talks loud again. But this signing puts us in a much better position for next season. Hopefully the fluidity and great football from the start of this season will last a bit longer next time ;)

I agree with that; would be über-awesome if we got Martinez as well. But I'm far from sure we will buy another big name signing now when we got our guy. It's possible considering the price, so I'm not ruling it out altogether, but if we do it may well be for LB rather than DMC.

Isn't there a hefty price for Martinez btw? Surely many other big teams interested in him too, so could be another Hazard situation if we go in for him.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jun/shinji-kagawa-career-background-after-manchester-united-agree-deal-with-dortmund.aspx

A metatarsal injury at the 2011 Asian Cup, after shining in the tournament, interrupted his progress but eight goals in 18 games was an impressive return domestically in the 2010/2011 season and he was named in the Bundesliga's Team of the Season despite being sidelined for a lengthy spell.

Oh **** :D

Sch*lke :D I refuse to take idiots like that seriously in any way, shape or form.

Although he's probably not wrong, mind you

Considering I've been to a few Dortmund games over in Germany and have quite a few Dortmund supporting friends, I'm surprised he even typed that.

Over there they just refer to them as "Scheisse", which to those of you who can't be bothered using some common sense, simply means "****".

While i doubt we have the money or magic beans to tempt either player, Fellaini (24) or Modric (26)?

Rumoured amounts put them within £5million of each other in terms of price (The rumour mill has reduced Modrics price tag since Chelsea got Hazard :lol:)

I would take Fellaini in a heart beat (plus a heartbreak for Leppard) if he was available for cheaper than the rumours. Unfortunately, Fellaini is too pricey for us while i am not too anxious to get Modric like i was last season as he is getting to the age of "no future sell on value"

Fellaini is very mobile, I think he covers the most ground per game in our squad. Found some stats actually;

Fellaini’s athleticism is there for all to see; he is in the top 1% of midfielders in terms of energy and distance covered during matches. He has the 4th highest average distance run per game in the top flight, clocking up a whopping 6.65 miles per match. His notable marathon matches this season include 7.5 miles in the derby defeat and 7mile+ outings in the away games at Man City and Fulham.

Fellaini is very mobile, I think he covers the most ground per game in our squad. Found some stats actually;

That doesn't mean he's mobile, guess who covers most distance per game for City? Yep, Gareth Barry.

Archived