The 2011-2012 Manchester United thread - We've got our trophy back

BBB

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Waiting for the day when both twins suit up for the game. Would be very confusing for everyone involved.

Do you mean for Brazil?, because they have both played for us together many times. There was even a case of mistaken identity with a yellow card.

Do you mean for Brazil?, because they have both played for us together many times. There was even a case of mistaken identity with a yellow card.

I mean for brazil (did they play their caps together?) and also at a more consistent rate for us. It's a big deal now because everyone knows to be careful, but wait for several years for a big Champions League match when everyone thinks they have it sorted and boom, mistaken identity gives us an extra man for a half hour. Mwahaha.

I remember that famous mistaken identity incident, but that wasn't an important match I don't think? Anyway I'm hoping that maybe one day stick them both on the same flank (has this happened yet?) and everyone will have fun.

Think they only kept him last summer due to a promise of he can leave he they don't get CL the season after, which they didn't.

Can only keep an unhappy player for so long. Think he will put in another transfer request after the euros and we will strike. Think £20m rising to £25m based on appearances and success sounds fair.

I want to live in your world.

We have enough strikers? Have we signed someone i don't know about? We've lost two.

Rooney's a guaranteed starter. Welbeck and Hernandez rotate ahead of him. Supplemented by Macheda. Rooney can play up there if form requires, and we have Young and Kagawa who can take the 10 position.

We sign another first team striker and that's either Rooney in a rotation role (unlikely) or Hernandez being sold IMO.

Neither of which are viable options for me. If we get a fluid 3 behind a main striker (Welbeck/Hernandez) we could be absolutely lethal going forward. And if the videos are anything to go by Kagawa will get a dozen assists from only feeding Hernandez, his timing of through balls seems to be somewhat phenomenal

He is a real good signing Powell, I think some people(idiots) think that he is a small time signing and all that bollocks but he is very talented. Its not often you see players of that age with the ability to change a game in an instant but he has it. I am interested to see what we do with him, talk of loans etc. I would keep him here for now and see what happens.

I would loan him to a club were he can psuh on. Which of Fergies mates will get the best out of him? Wigan

Maybe we should sign him first?

Or should I go back to the discussion about medals :D:(

If he comes, I can't see us signing another forward. Even if he doesn't, I doubt we will. With Anderson being perma-crocked and big questions about Fletcher's fitness, what we still need is a central midfielder in addition to Kagawa further upfield. If Carrick gets injured we're done for. Martinez is probably the ideal signing, but it looks like his price is surreal. Modric would be good of course, but I can't see us signing him, turning 27, for 30+ million (he won't go for 25m). If Pogba somehow stays though, we may endure with what we have until he comes good in a few years. If he truly hasn't decided yet, maybe he wants to know what happens to our midfield first.

What I would like is to splash out (most) of what is left for a central midfielder and then a few millions on a backup leftback, considering Fabio will probably go on loan.

:D

Thought so too, thankfully he missed. Looks a nice goal, well fought. We rarely directly buy young players from South America though, the twins obvious examples, so not sure this will happen, but time will tell. Another forward isn't what we need the most, that's for sure.

With quality wingers on both sides it seems most likely Kagawa will play where Rooney often has this past season, pushing Rooney further up front. The need for more strikers then isn't great. We already have Chicharito and Welbeck, and especially the latter is harder to put on the bench the way he has developed, and we all know what skills Chicha has in the box.

What we need is a central midfielder, and possibly a backup left back.

Rooney

Young - Kagawa - Valencia/Nani

Carrick - Scholes

Evra - Rio - Vidic - Rafael

de Gea

This is hardly a bad lineup, with Anderson (and Fletcher if he comes back) as alternatives for Scholes and/or Carrick (please stay fit though, Michael). But put somebody like Javi Martinez next to Carrick (or Scholes)..... :p

I'm not sure I want Rooney to play as the main striker, tbh. He's far too good in the hole to be played somewhere else, so I hope either Kagawa is played on the left-wing or he plays only when Rooney needs a rest/Europe.

was thinking earlier that we might be changing to a sort of 4-1-4-1 formation. Looking something like this:

-------------Carrick

Valencia Rooney Kagawa Young/Nani

------------Welbeck

Dropping one of the 4 for an extra midfielder for tougher games. With Rooneys natural game to always dropping deeper, Carrick would never be left alone.

Carrick could play that role easily, always staying behind play tidying up.

Front four of Young, Nani, Rooney and Kagawa would be pretty amazing. Kagawa playing infront of 2 midfielders (if we can find two fit midfielders for a given match...) with Nani, Young and Rooney replicating the fluidity of the 2008 system :*****)

Clean up on Aisle Three!

Good stuff. :thup:

Always great to get the signings done quickly so they're ready for pre-season. This chap will perhaps go straight out on loan, at least the last half of the season, but I'm pleased we got Kagawa sorted so soon. Would love a more deep-lying midfielder too, mind.

Good to see another signing coming in.

I have seen reports saying he is a midfielder and others saying he is a striker.

After watching this video of all his goals from last season here:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/new-manchester-united-signing-nick-powells-goals-crewe-20112012/

He looks more of a midfielder, not alot of the goals comes from being in a "strikers" position. Quite a few long ranges, new new Gibbo??

Any crewe fans on here tell us abit more about him?

Nope. Already denied by his old boss as they want to focus on their own players, which is understandable. More likely he'll stay here until Xmas then go on loan to the Championship. Should get some matches in the League Cup before then, and get to know the club, players and staff and so on.

Good to see another signing coming in.

I have seen reports saying he is a midfielder and others saying he is a striker.

After watching this video of all his goals from last season here:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/new-manchester-united-signing-nick-powells-goals-crewe-20112012/

He looks more of a midfielder, not alot of the goals comes from being in a "strikers" position. Quite a few long ranges, new new Gibbo??

Any crewe fans on here tell us abit more about him?

The besat midfielder tag you could get away with giving him is AM. The boy is definitely a forward more than a midfielder but he does like to get involved.

I'm not sure I want Rooney to play as the main striker, tbh. He's far too good in the hole to be played somewhere else, so I hope either Kagawa is played on the left-wing or he plays only when Rooney needs a rest/Europe.

rooney's looked poor in too many games recently in the hole, I'd stick him upfront which he prefers and stick kagawa in the hole which he prefers. no point playing players out of position etc.

the lineup pangaea posted is what I'd like, with *insert top class central midfielder* taking over from scholes.

Archived