The 2011-2012 Manchester United thread - We've got our trophy back

BBB

I agree that it would take a massive effort to have all the big sides doing it. Regulation is a much better avenue but that means relying on UEFA/FIFA to get involved and that's not really a trustworthy issue. Although if the FFP really does kick off, that could lead to a knock-on impact on agent fees. The 2, 3, 5m spent there is money taken outside of the amount able to be spent elsewhere.

I wonder if he'll become a goalkeeping coach eventually.

I was looking forward to Keane getting moved up into the full team. The squad is really lacking in attacking options outside the main three.

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Twitter says Samuel Eto'o is going to play in Europe this year, nailed on that we are signing him. The money is there.....:lol:

Yeah, plus we're easily be able to afford his wages.

For the record, if we sign Kagawa (note that the club has not confirmed a darn thing) we will not need 4 strikers as the ole 4-3-3 with Rooney up top on his own will be returning.

GK

RB, CB, CB, LB

CM, CM

RW AM LW

CF

We just need another CM/DM & a LB. Mon Modric & ????? (Fill the blanks Craig) :)

De Gea, Lindergaard, Amos

Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Rio, Vida, Evra, New LB

Scholes, Carrick, Ando, Cleverley, Park, New CM/DM

Valencia, Nani, Giggs, Young

Kagawa??

Rooney, Welbz, Chicha

My money is on that squad minus 1 of the expected 3 new signings. :(

And then dropping Rooney to replace Kagawa if we want more "bully" in midfield with Hernandez/Welbeck up front? Not bad options actually and we might get away with not getting a new LB and using Fabio IF a very good CM/DM comes in who plays more on the left (to cover for Evra's runs).

Too late now to get Modric, he's going to be about the same age as Berbatov was when we signed him and going down that road again isn't going to happen. If we're going to spend £35m on midfielders I'd rather we get two younger ones we can mould rather than throw all our eggs in one basket again.

Norwood has rejected a contract? Didn't know that. Though I suppose it makes sense to want away to get first team football. He's a good player, but not good enough to make it with us I think. Have more belief in Petrucci actually, now that he's finally over that injury nightmare. Surprised if we have offered Veseli a new deal though. He's barely played for the reserves.

I''m 95% sure Pogba is a gonner. But I suppose no news is good news at this stage, though I do expect it to get known soon that he is joining Juventus. If he wasn't, I don't understand why he wouldn't have signed yet. Will be a big loss if/when he leaves. Great potential in that lad.

Think I agree on Modric. Besides, he'd be crazy expensive, just as last summer. I'd much prefer Martinez. Though I've heard rumours he'd be nutty expensive too.

Naturally have to take that with a shovel of salt.

However, losing Fryers won't be as big a blow as Pogba. Fryers is a fine player, but I don't think he's the answer to our left-back(up) problems. Pogba, on the other hand, will become a really good player once he gets a bit more first team matches under his belt.

Bit hard to believe genuine United 'products' will leave because of wages at that age. But who knows with modern footballers... Loyalty is about as inherent a quality with them as abstinence for whores.

If Fryers leaves, I suspect it may be for dual reasons. He may get a better deal elsewhere, and he'll get much more consistent football elsewhere. Leaving then is more understandable given his best hope is to become a squad player for us. Pogba, however, can become an essential first team player in, say, three years. Losing him for peanuts will not be cool at all. Don't see him getting many matches for Juventus either next season, so wage may have a bigger temptation in his case. We got him the same way he probably leaves, so guess we can't have too many complaints about that, but it's still disappointing due to his potential.

Like I said, shovel of salt, but I have believed Pogba is lost to us for quite a while now :thdn:

Koosh is gone \o/

Wouldn't be surprised if Fryers looked at Fabio going from Champions League finalist to loaned out in a little over a year and though that either Evra will play every game no matter what; or a new LB will be brought in relegating him to 4th choice when Fabio returns. Also he's 20 in September and never really shown anything to suggest he's going to be good enough - maybe he realises this and wants to move to get games (and a healthy bonus in lieu of a transfer fee) while he's young.

Very sad news indeed. I thought he could contribute this season given his performances in the last one. If Berba leaves that leaves us with Rooney, Welbz, Chicha and Macheda? Is Macheda good enough? If not then we are in need of one more striker as I don't think anyone else from Reserves can deliver at this level.

Craig, who are we buying as a 4th choice? :D

I've always thought Young was bought partly because he could play as a support striker in the Rooney position. Also, I reckon that Nani could play in that role at a push - we never know what he's going to do so neither are the opposition CB! :D

I've always thought Young was bought partly because he could play as a support striker in the Rooney position. Also, I reckon that Nani could play in that role at a push - we never know what he's going to do so neither are the opposition CB! :D

Was cracking in that role against Bayern a couple of years back. Lateley he seems to have more of a free role which has seen him roam in off his perch when the tactics have allowed. Him, Young, Rooney and Welbeck should be able to change positions pretty fluidly if we can get them all fit at the same time.

Just checked the players released list. In addition to the expected and known Kuczak and Owen, a certain Paul Scholes is listed. What's up with that? We already know he'll be here next season.

Little worrying with the Nani stuff, but hopefully there isn't much to it. Playing for better wage etc. Like said just a few posts up, loyalty is largely a thing of the past. Which is partly why I want people like Will Keane and Tunnicliffe to make it as they'll be less likely to see the grass as greener elsewhere.

If Nani played like Ronaldo but had the odd match off, he'd still be labeled as "inconsistent". It seems we will never drop that

Cheers dion, that makes sense. He probably wasn't offered a deal yet at that point, or at least hadn't signed yet.

I had a most horrible dream about SAF last night. Maybe family health issues (cancer is a c....) are spilling over to fears about his too :(

Would like to keep Nani but he seriously needs to become more consistent.

Only non-strikers/forwards/whatevers to score more than Nani in the league last season were Lampard, van der Vaart and Bale; the latter two playing more games. Only five players in the league made more assists; of those all bar Valencia played more games. Only six players averaged more key passes per game; of those only van Persie made fewer passes. Only six players averaged more successful dribbles per game. Only 11 players averaged more accurate crosses per game (two of them Stoke players; only Mata, Baines and Valencia from the top half of the table). What measures of consistency are you using exactly?

Only non-strikers/forwards/whatevers to score more than Nani in the league last season were Lampard, van der Vaart and Bale; the latter two playing more games. Only five players in the league made more assists; of those all bar Valencia played more games. Only six players averaged more key passes per game; of those only van Persie made fewer passes. Only six players averaged more successful dribbles per game. Only 11 players averaged more accurate crosses per game (two of them Stoke players; only Mata, Baines and Valencia from the top half of the table). What measures of consistency are you using exactly?

So he's not particularly great at anything then? Figures.

(Massive) ;)

Anyone still banking on giving Cleverley-Anderson midfield partnership a chance next season? Especially if they can stay injury-free. They were the reason why we were on top form earlier this season.

Anyone still banking on giving Cleverley-Anderson midfield partnership a chance next season? Especially if they can stay injury-free. They were the reason why we were on top form earlier this season.

I wouldn't say they were the one and only reason mate. I mean the entire team was on fire at that point in the season.

Hey Ice what will you do if Gylfi goes to Liverpool? ;)

I wouldn't say they were the one and only reason mate. I mean the entire team was on fire at that point in the season.

Hey Ice what will you do if Gylfi goes to Liverpool? ;)

I will find a way to ban every single Liverpool fan on the forums, then possibly drink enough alcohol to kill a baby elephant

I will find a way to ban every single Liverpool fan on the forums, then possibly drink enough alcohol to kill a baby elephant

By alcohol poisoning or drowning?

Cause, y'know...going by Dumbo baby elephants haven't got a great tolerance for the booze.

I would never bank on that given their injuries but I would like to see it given more time next season if possible. If they are fit, Carrick stays on form, Scholes does what he does, Fletcher comes back and we possibly bring in an alternative then that would be very strong. I imagine that is how Fergie is looking at it, surely the bad luck with injuries can't happen again?

Hasn't this been said for the last three-four years?

Should be Cleverley/Carrick from the start. Cleverley/Anderson was great going forward but, good though their dovetailing was, when it didn't work it left us very exposed. Cleverley and Carrick is a nice partnership as they can both use the ball well in different ways, Cleverley also covers a lot of ground in both directions which should allow Carrick to be more mobile than he is against Scholes. Defensively it's a good blend of Cleverley picking runners (which he's exceptional at imo) while Carrick presses the space.

On Fletch, I'm certainly not saying I'm confident of him returning, but the one glimmer of hope for me is that six years ago we were all saying the same about Scholes' chance of playing either again or at the same level.

On Fletch, I'm certainly not saying I'm confident of him returning, but the one glimmer of hope for me is that six years ago we were all saying the same about Scholes' chance of playing either again or at the same level.

Was that the double vision thing? If so, it's quite a lot different from a life threatening disease, wouldn't you say?

Is it life threatening? There's a history of athletes managing the disease and still performing, nevermind that in Fletcher's instance the disease has been fully diagnosed. IIRC there was a lot of confusion surrounding Scholes' vision issues and how/when they'd resolve themselves; if at all. Regardless, not too an outlandish comparison between two players who had unusual conditions that jeopardised their careers.

Archived