FM v Real Life (researchers fault?)

are u kidding me about hernandez? he has very good attributes and a great personality u want him to be like messi or cr7? he scored 2 goals at the world cup he didn't win it! and now he scored against wolves stoke or wba and he could even score against rangers despite playing the entire match

he has

ca 145 pa 175

which is more than enough for now. let him win a trophy that will talk

Jesus, that's more than enough potential to become a great player.

Can't believe the ignorance of some people.

PA and CA are fine.

Remember, most/all researchers do their job for free, they are not professional scouts who have been scouting players for 20 years at a professional level and have seen so many players come through or not make it which makes them good at having a 'gut feeling'. There are plenty of players you think will become great players and don't and then also plenty of players who come out of nowhere to shine.

Researchers do in general, a great job.

PA and CA are fine.

Remember' date=' most/all researchers do their job for free, they are not professional scouts who have been scouting players for 20 years at a professional level and have seen so many players come through or not make it which makes them good at having a 'gut feeling'. There are plenty of players you think will become great players and don't and then also plenty of players who come out of nowhere to shine.

Researchers do in general, a great job.[/quote']

I also agree with this. The researchers, despite doing this for nothing must put a heck of a lot of time into their research and as previously stated they do a great job. they should be knighted :-)

...and thus we've once again worked our way into the very reason why the "fixed PA" system needs to be scrapped.

I think the fixed pa system works very well, for a start that's something we are not supposed to see.

From the perspective of performances in FM, still a lot of people look at CA and PA ratings, if they are "too high" or "too low", or indeed what they are at all, as being vital information, when in fact they're hidden from view. Unless you've used the game editor or a 3rd party editor to view them, you should only have coach and scout reports to work from. Actual suitability of the attributes themselves, specific to tactical instructions, are what make a player perform well, or not. I can point at countless times where I've had a 170PA player out perform a 190PA player, simply because the specific attributes of the lower player, are more suited to a given role, than those of the higher player.

Potential Ability (PA) is simply the maximum overall distribution of attribute points a player will potentially gain, via training and playing. Their actual distribution, where those attribute points are, or can be shifted with training, is far more important than the PA figure itself.

From the perspective of research, it's often very difficult assess or designate potential. Especially so for a researcher, if they're a new signing and they haven't seen them play. The researcher at the player's new club, is reliant on the evaluation of the researcher (if there is one) from the player's old club. There's also matters of players who may have been at a club for a few seasons, has been pretty average for most of that time, or out with lengthy injuries, then all of a sudden, has a fantastic start to the season.

I've actually found myself in similar circumstances with one player in particular at Granada CF, though obviously I won't mention his name here. He was injured most of last season, didn't play much and when he did, was pretty average. The data I've applied reflects what I've observed prior to the submissions deadline, last season, during pre-season and some training sessions I was fortunate enough to be permitted to attend. Since then and the start of the season, this player has been absolutely outstanding and his FM overall attributes, certainly don't reflect how he's performing in real life at the moment. Indeed, he's gone from an "average" Segunda B player, to a now highly rated and consistently high performing Liga adelante player.

Obviously research is an ongoing thing. We're always revising our notes, communicating with each other for shared opinions and will tend to apply any appropriate changes ready for the next data update.

Clearly different people will have different opinions regarding what a players particular attributes "should" be, but do bear in mind, that the majority of the researchers for FM are very close to their respective clubs. They're watching first-team games home and away at all levels. Certainly for most of the bigger clubs, researchers are also watching lots of reserve and youth games.

The beauty of FM though, is that it's packaged with an editor. So even if you're not entirely happy with certain elements of data, you're free to edit it to your heart's content.

Bad scouting...lol! With that rating he will be one of the better players in england. Remember, he is relatively young and he would probably not had played as much IRL had Rooney not been injured, etc. And there is a long history of supposedly huge talents going to english clubs and faltering.... If he keeps it up, he will get an upgrade, and there is always the editor if you cant wait. But to call it bad scouting... really...

To put the prognostication of potential into some context, think of the following examples.

In one pre-season, Manchester United signed Karel Poborsky, Jordi Cruyff, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ronny Johnson. Clearly at the time, everyone had heard of the talented son of Johan. They had also seen Poborsky give the great Maldini a torrid time in the European Championships. But who had really heard of the two Norwegian players? Who could predict that the two "star" players would fail to achieve, whilst the Norwegians would go on to have stellar careers at the club.

That's the difficulty and also the beauty of predicting things in football.

From the perspective of performances in FM, still a lot of people look at CA and PA ratings, if they are "too high" or "too low", or indeed what they are at all, as being vital information, when in fact they're hidden from view. Unless you've used the game editor or a 3rd party editor to view them, you should only have coach and scout reports to work from. Actual suitability of the attributes themselves, specific to tactical instructions, are what make a player perform well, or not. I can point at countless times where I've had a 170PA player out perform a 190PA player, simply because the specific attributes of the lower player, are more suited to a given role, than those of the higher player.

Totally agree. I thank all the people who put so much work into the game for nothing more than the passion they feel for it.

However, players from countries that dont have these type of researchers tend to get hosed. Also, English and Italians and Germans and Italians tend to think that because they host top leagues, their nationals are the best. These big countries import tons of players. However, the PA, to use fm speak, of many of their nationals are inflated and there dont seem to be enough high PA players spread around the world. Ideally, there should be some sort of attribute normalizing to better reflect the way the real footballing world operates. SI should also try to emulate the larger African nations even if they must use fictional clubs and players so regens will appear in a more realistic way.

To put the prognostication of potential into some context, think of the following examples.

In one pre-season, Manchester United signed Karel Poborsky, Jordi Cruyff, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ronny Johnson. Clearly at the time, everyone had heard of the talented son of Johan. They had also seen Poborsky give the great Maldini a torrid time in the European Championships. But who had really heard of the two Norwegian players? Who could predict that the two "star" players would fail to achieve, whilst the Norwegians would go on to have stellar careers at the club.

Perhaps also players attributes should either get a boost or suffer if the clubs tactical system doesnt suit their abilities?

I don't follow.

Why would Hernandez with a PA of

prove the need to get rid of fixed PA?

Simple reason: have player PAs been left untouched with each new DB or installment? No. Many players have seen adjustments made to their "fixed" potential.

If Hernandez goes out and scores 50 goals and is named Player of the Year, do you honestly believe that his PA would be untouched in the next DB? Of course not. So even though, under the current system, a player can fail to live up to expectations and never reach his PA, the opposite is not true; a player can never exceed their PA regardless of how well they perform or how much they exceed expectations. An example from my FM10 MLS save: a New England striker absolutely torched the league for 8 seasons, never once finishing with less than a 7.2 rating for the season, and even earned a handful of caps for the national team. However , because his PA was only in the 120-range, he never once received an offer to move to a "bigger" club/league in all 8 years of play. Basically, the entire transfer system depends upon PA and not performance, which I believe is the exact opposite of real life. I sold several players that had sub-7.0 ratings while failing to attract interest in many of my best performers. Why? Because the sold players had higher PAs. How does that make sense? If you're in charge of a club in real life, do you dismiss performance in favor of potential? Because Hernandez sure as heck wasn't drawing much interest before this past year...

No offence but most people could've told you Jordi Cruyff would fail. At Barcelona he was only getting games because his dad was the Manager and the fans knew that, in fact they wanted rid of him and were more than happy to see him go. I would not say he was expected to be a star but rather to do ok and get the odd game. Poborsky was based on one good tournament and an okish European season but had not proven himself in a top league so on this context he was an equal to the two Norwegians.

My point is that research or not, the average football fan can name a good set of players if asked, of course you would need to have a foreign perspective and not simply rely on the English perspective which rarely if ever watch other leagues from abroad or at least didn't for a long, long time.

Can't argue with this.

Simple reason: have player PAs been left untouched with each new DB or installment? No. Many players have seen adjustments made to their "fixed" potential.

If Hernandez goes out and scores 50 goals and is named Player of the Year, do you honestly believe that his PA would be untouched in the next DB? Of course not. So even though, under the current system, a player can fail to live up to expectations and never reach his PA, the opposite is not true; a player can never exceed their PA regardless of how well they perform or how much they exceed expectations. An example from my FM10 MLS save: a New England striker absolutely torched the league for 8 seasons, never once finishing with less than a 7.2 rating for the season, and even earned a handful of caps for the national team. However , because his PA was only in the 120-range, he never once received an offer to move to a "bigger" club/league in all 8 years of play. Basically, the entire transfer system depends upon PA and not performance, which I believe is the exact opposite of real life. I sold several players that had sub-7.0 ratings while failing to attract interest in many of my best performers. Why? Because the sold players had higher PAs. How does that make sense? If you're in charge of a club in real life, do you dismiss performance in favor of potential? Because Hernandez sure as heck wasn't drawing much interest before this past year...

The man has a valid point.

I agree with this. I had a 19 year old playmaker in the a-league who had already hot his PA, he was performing brilliantly but no one wanted him because of his PA. Irl however, a 19 year old in the a-league who's one of th top performers in the league will attract attention from overseas, such as Langerak, Oar and now Leckie.

People put forward the argument that a player cannot change their PA which is true irl but i don't think thats how researchers rate players, which is fair enough. A players PA will be based on their recent performances but that doesn't neccessarily represent their true PA irl. So as a result their will constantly be players who can reach the heights they do irl because of these fixed PA's. PA's don't have to become dynamic to fix such a problem but it would be good to see something done about this, not that i think thats likey.

Kris Boyd, Henrik Larsson?

To be fair, how have other young Mexicans done in the EPL? Dos Santos came with a hot reputation, and both he and Vela haven't set the league alight. This is despite the pair of them together with Hernandez playing very well for Mexico in the world Cup.

So I wouldn't criticise the researcher even if the Op were true. However, the spoiler shows there's nothing to criticise anyway.

I think it is far better if a researcher under-rates an unknown talent rather than risk going the other way. Think of a guy like Daniel Braaten who in previous versions was an absolute god on the game. IRL he turned out to be a pretty decent player, but to no way near the level which that initial estimation indicated. Could think of a number of different examples but that one came to mind.

Better for the game to be a little conservative or otherwise it would become rather unrealistic where the next generation of wonder kids would quickly take over. As for Hernandez, just be happy that he is at a big club and as a result will no doubt be redone a little in one of the patches.

To be fair, Everton have a deal which allows them to look at the full database, there have also been many instances in which people have admitted to using FM for scouting purposes.

Wow I guess thats how Madrid gets their players

Well it's probably a bit harsh to say poor research. :p

Did they judge his potential wrong? Maybe they did.

But even Ferguson, Wenger and so on have been known to misjudge potential of players. :D

That got me thinking, how is Bebe in the FM11 Demo or even on FM10 when he was still in portugal?

Just a little thread to maybe start a bit of discussion.

Whilst reading the paper today it got me thinking about how players like Javier Hernandez get on in the premiership but on FM, aren't really good enough for Man Utd Reserve team.

Personally, I think that Hernandez must have shown a lot of potential in Mexico, even before the world cup. On FM2010, Hernandez isn't a brilliant player, fair enough, he's good, but not brilliant.

Is this a case of bad research by the FM Reasearchers or did Hernandez really not have brilliant potential before FM2010 was made?

Having watched every game he's played so far for United, as well as in the World Cup, I actually think Hernandez is near perfectly rated. He has potential to grow as well, so I don't see the problem. Maybe you should be a little more specific as to exactly what attributes are too low, and why?

Alex McLiesh when Manager of Motherwell - but he's was a **** and decided we didn't need a a skinny guy up front :(

Kris Boyd, Henrik Larsson?
Scored loads of goals yet only moved end of contract iirc. Why didnt anyone buy them earlier?

It's not all about signing for other clubs. And Ferguson has already admitted he made approaches for him when he was at Celtic. As for Kris Boyd, you do know he was a "goal machine" before he joined Rangers, so did get a move to a bigger club....

Clueless...

TBF that sums up a lot of people and not just the OP :(

Potential Ability (PA) is simply the maximum overall distribution of attribute points a player will potentially gain, via training and playing. Their actual distribution, where those attribute points are, or can be shifted with training, is far more important than the PA figure itself.

From the perspective of research, it's often very difficult assess or designate potential. Especially so for a researcher, if they're a new signing and they haven't seen them play. The researcher at the player's new club, is reliant on the evaluation of the researcher (if there is one) from the player's old club. There's also matters of players who may have been at a club for a few seasons, has been pretty average for most of that time, or out with lengthy injuries, then all of a sudden, has a fantastic start to the season.

I've actually found myself in similar circumstances with one player in particular at Granada CF, though obviously I won't mention his name here. He was injured most of last season, didn't play much and when he did, was pretty average. The data I've applied reflects what I've observed prior to the submissions deadline, last season, during pre-season and some training sessions I was fortunate enough to be permitted to attend. Since then and the start of the season, this player has been absolutely outstanding and his FM overall attributes, certainly don't reflect how he's performing in real life at the moment. Indeed, he's gone from an "average" Segunda B player, to a now highly rated and consistently high performing Liga adelante player.

Obviously research is an ongoing thing. We're always revising our notes, communicating with each other for shared opinions and will tend to apply any appropriate changes ready for the next data update.

Clearly different people will have different opinions regarding what a players particular attributes "should" be, but do bear in mind, that the majority of the researchers for FM are very close to their respective clubs. They're watching first-team games home and away at all levels. Certainly for most of the bigger clubs, researchers are also watching lots of reserve and youth games.

The beauty of FM though, is that it's packaged with an editor. So even if you're not entirely happy with certain elements of data, you're free to edit it to your heart's content.

I think that pretty much hits the nail on the head imo. To think of all the hundreds of thousands of players in the game and all people can think is that a select few of them are under/over rated suggests you're doing a good job

Maybe I'm drawing a long bow here - but perhaps predicting future international stars of the game is beyond the scope of Football Manager's design?

Or maybe introduce occasional random PA decline or boost to 1)make the game less predictable and 2)make it harder to go out and buy up the best players.

To follow up on my point about PA- a flexible PA doesn't mean that every player should be able to reach 200 PA. Rather, it should be used to provide just enough of a boost to a player's PA (so long as he plays well in his current division, and is already near his max PA) to attract interest from a league/club with a higher rep. So if a player tears up League 1 while playing at their max PA, maybe a small boost to PA (5 or so points for the first year, maybe 3 after that with good performances) would be enough to see a Championship side sign him. At that point, the player could either 1. Flop miserably and see his CA actually decrease, 2. play at a decent level, which would require no change to PA, or 3. Continue to excel on the pitch, at which point his PA could again increase to the point where a Premier squad may take a look at him. One important thing- a league's rep would act as a ceiling as to how high PA could develop to prevent lower leagues from amassing huge amounts of talented players.

Also, if you play with the player before you comment on him, you will notice that he does very well when playing in the Premiership.
Can someone please tell me Hernandez's "poor" potential?
Certainly doesn't look "poor" to me! :D
Yea utter dross, but just want one of the non researchers to post it to see what the reaction is
are u kidding me about hernandez? he has very good attributes and a great personality u want him to be like messi or cr7? he scored 2 goals at the world cup he didn't win it! and now he scored against wolves stoke or wba and he could even score against rangers despite playing the entire match

he has

ca 145 pa 175

Hernandez looks pretty solid to me really, like he could score 20 a season with a decent team behind him. About as good as Solskjaer who he is often compared to.
I think this post should have really ended all discussion. Can't say fairer than that.

FWIW, the researchers for the most part do a fantastic job. It is incredibly difficult and give or take a few occurrences get it bang on.

Jesus, that's more than enough potential to become a great player.

Can't believe the ignorance of some people.

I agree, i'd happily buy him with that PA.
Bad scouting...lol! With that rating he will be one of the better players in england. Remember, he is relatively young and he would probably not had played as much IRL had Rooney not been injured, etc. And there is a long history of supposedly huge talents going to english clubs and faltering.... If he keeps it up, he will get an upgrade, and there is always the editor if you cant wait. But to call it bad scouting... really...
Is this a joke thread, seriously?

If Hernandez fulfills his PA, he would among the top 10 forwards in the world... and you want him better (bear in mind he's a poacher so doesn't warrant the all round attributes that a rooney/ronaldo/tevez might get that fills up CA easier)

The crucial word in the OP is "FM10". Not "FM11". The OP doesn't mention his ratings in FM11.

Anyway, saulty- I don't think any of us had heard of Hernandez in August 2009, or even January 2010, so I don't think you can blame the Mexican researchers! Apparently Hernandez has only come on in the past few months. I haven't really looked at him in FM10, but at least one user said he's a fairly useful player if you use him correctly.

To be fair, how have other young Mexicans done in the EPL? Dos Santos came with a hot reputation, and both he and Vela haven't set the league alight. This is despite the pair of them together with Hernandez playing very well for Mexico in the world Cup.

So I wouldn't criticise the researcher even if the Op were true. However, the spoiler shows there's nothing to criticise anyway.

Hernández is a far more developed player than those ones were when they arrived in England.

He only started really making a huge impact in the second semester of 2009 (Torneo Apertura 2009), so his current CA looks pretty fair, the PA is harder to tell, but I guess there is a bigger chance the current one is decreased in the future than increased even more.

he has

ca 145 pa 175

I think the OP is referring to him on FM2010, where he was very poor as not a great deal had been seen of him before the data lock last season, and the level he had been playing at was fairly poor so doing well at that level doesn't necessarily mean you're a fantastic player.

Lots of players have come from nowhere to become superstars.

Lots of players also have had brilliant starts and then stalled.

For God's sake, it's only October. Nobody can predict the future you know.

Maybe Hernandez will suddenly get a drought and then disappear off the radar. Or he continues his great form and displaces Rooney as the main star of the United team.

Do you know which will happen for sure? I doubt so.

Archived