New Forum Skin - Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should probably post this here:

Normally, when I visit these forums, I go directly to FMS (as in, I select FMS from Firefox's drop down). However, by default, I am logged out at this point. If I then "go back" to the forum display page (the one that lists all the forums- here), then I automatically get logged in, and can browse as normal.

Firefox has my password saved, and I used "remember me", so why aren't I remembered when I go straight to FMS?

I should probably post this here:

Normally, when I visit these forums, I go directly to FMS (as in, I select FMS from Firefox's drop down). However, by default, I am logged out at this point. If I then "go back" to the forum display page (the one that lists all the forums- here), then I automatically get logged in, and can browse as normal.

Firefox has my password saved, and I used "remember me", so why aren't I remembered when I go straight to FMS?

We're investigating as to why this is happening for some users and not others. I'll pass on your specific experience and example as well.

Im a bit confused as to what as actually been done here. The forum has been down for an entire day and the only things I can see that have changed is that it has been made wider and the white has been toned down, slightly.

New posts are still not clear enough when scrolling through the thread at speed. Threads you have posted in are still not clear, especially when scrolling at anything other than a snails pace. The same goes for threads you have viewed. Please get rid of the silly blue spots an flames and return them to the old icons.

Why can't it be like the older version where threads you have read would be orange and when a new post was in it would turn blue again? In the header for new posts, you can only distinguish them by the light blue page before the date as oppsed to white for older posts. Can the full header not be a different colour for newer posts?

Ive not viewed any threads with screen shots yet. Hopefully that is sorted.

EDIT:

Screen shots still not sorted. Still sticks way out, also with the return of the big grey space.

Im a bit confused as to what as actually been done here. The forum has been down for an entire day and the only things I can see that have changed is that it has been made wider and the white has been toned down, slightly.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, there will be some further skin updates next week to fix some additional issues.

We rebuilt the caches, which is why the forum was down for a long time, in an attempt to solve issues relating to post history going missing.

Was closed for mantainance, I thought maybe they're changing the skin back to what it was, but it seems I was wrong huh! LOL!

I'm going blind!

Couldnt u guys hire someone who knows how to do his job? I mean it's the year 2010! This skin is like the internet was in its beginnings jesus !

i preferred the fixed width tbh.

I liked seeing the background image down the sides

All the fixed width did was through out the forum for large images which just needed an image re sizer installed. SO when you click on the image you could still see the full size

i preferred the fixed width tbh.

I liked seeing the background image down the sides

All the fixed width did was through out the forum for large images which just needed an image re sizer installed. SO when you click on the image you could still see the full size

We will be offering users the choice of fixed and non-fixed width skins, though the non-fixed width will be the default skin.

Some quick comments.

• On showthread.php, user title (Amateur, Part-timer...) is really strangely positioned to the right of the other data (location, join date, posts). Should probably go right below the nick?
  • The left column holding the above data is very wide (lots of whitespace between its text and the post area) taking up excessive amounts of screen real estate that would be better spent on the post area.
  • Colors appear fine to me. People must have their screen brightness set way too high. A bit more contrast wouldn't hurt, I suppose.
  • Post text could probably use some line-height/size tweaking. The big blog-like css styling that it has now is nice for short posts but not very suitable for the long ones found in the T&TT, CSE, and Stories forums.
  • Images still break out of the layout in a bad way (see this thread for ex).
  • The difference between post_old.png and post_new.png seems too small to make out at a glance when scrolling through a thread. IIRC, in the old layout post_new.png was orange and stood out very clearly.
  • On forumdisplay.php, the "Last Post By" column appears to be excessively wide. Its content never covers more than 1/3 of its width for me.
  • The dark purple a:visited color is barely readable in many places. See the FAQ/Advanced Search links up by the Search box or the links at the very bottom right of showthread.php for examples.

What's with all the white? It goes well with the default skin for the game, but that's about the only good thing I can think of. Forums are meant to be read. The old forum colours were a bit boring, but at least you could read them properly. This just screams 'headache' when you browse it for too long...

I'm very close to permemently leaving this forum, I am so fed up with how slow it is to load a thread, I made about 3 posts simultaneously without pressing "Post Quick Reply" more than once! I keep getting a white screen saying there is no server and gateway timeouts or something.

seriously, I dont know what you people are complaining about. It looks ace, much nicer rather than its dull old style. I'll admit, It would be nice for those who prefer the old plain and 1980s :p look to pick whether they want this or that.

the forum speed and what not is the same for me.

Personally, I love it and it will keep me around even more so.

Losing the side bars has immediately made it better on iPhone, tone down the White and add more contrast between posts and it'll be nearly there.

Agree on the improvements needed for users to recognise replied threads and new posts etc though.

I take it back what I said earlier today, yet another damn problem with this site....Its taking far too long to load and then because of this I'm having double postings everywhere (so I'll apolgise if this is double posted now)

Seriosly SI a company like yours should really be able to get something like this right, I mean I've been on other site done by 14 year olds that don't have this many problems

Wouldn't it be easier to reload the old skin and get your bugs team too have a look at this new skin to iron out any problems.

Once the problems have been ironed out you can reload it and as they say bobs ya uncle fannys ya aunt

You STILL get logged out after being inactive for about 20-30 minutes.

I do not, however this could be as I'm set to remember me.

I am however constantly being forced into double posted and having to delete messages all the time, it is very annoying why is this happening?

Lots of gateway timeouts.

Search function doesn't really return anything about what i'm searching for. It can even take me to a different forum, but that has just happened once.

Clicking "go to last post" button, under subscribed threads does not take me to the last post, but the first post.

Sometimes it takes ages to load.

I don't mind how it looks, but it just doesn't work properly.

Why is it that when you minimise forum headers (CM, EHM, Tech Support, LOTE forums etc) that they don't save like the old forum did? I have checked everywhere and cannot finde a 'save' function.

I am not a fan of this new style. The old FM 'feel' of the forums has gone. The new style just looks the same as any old forum floating around in cyberspace now. The ld one had it's own charm. I liked it. It was easy to navigate, nice colours, easy to read, in fact, there is nothing I disliked about the old forum.

I know that the old style is gone now but could the colouring be returned? At the very least could the base colour be changed from white to something else?

I would love a return to the past so if there is a vote going on please put me into that catagory

Some quick comments.

• On showthread.php, user title (Amateur, Part-timer...) is really strangely positioned to the right of the other data (location, join date, posts). Should probably go right below the nick?
  • The left column holding the above data is very wide (lots of whitespace between its text and the post area) taking up excessive amounts of screen real estate that would be better spent on the post area.
  • Colors appear fine to me. People must have their screen brightness set way too high. A bit more contrast wouldn't hurt, I suppose.
  • Post text could probably use some line-height/size tweaking. The big blog-like css styling that it has now is nice for short posts but not very suitable for the long ones found in the T&TT, CSE, and Stories forums.
  • Images still break out of the layout in a bad way (see this thread for ex).
  • The difference between post_old.png and post_new.png seems too small to make out at a glance when scrolling through a thread. IIRC, in the old layout post_new.png was orange and stood out very clearly.
  • On forumdisplay.php, the "Last Post By" column appears to be excessively wide. Its content never covers more than 1/3 of its width for me.
  • The dark purple a:visited color is barely readable in many places. See the FAQ/Advanced Search links up by the Search box or the links at the very bottom right of showthread.php for examples.

Thanks for your feedback, these will be passed onto the guys for further review.

I'm very close to permemently leaving this forum, I am so fed up with how slow it is to load a thread, I made about 3 posts simultaneously without pressing "Post Quick Reply" more than once! I keep getting a white screen saying there is no server and gateway timeouts or something.

Yes there are some issues on the server side, which SEGA's web and IT team are looking into. There should be some improvements already for these things.

I take it back what I said earlier today, yet another damn problem with this site....Its taking far too long to load and then because of this I'm having double postings everywhere (so I'll apolgise if this is double posted now)

Seriosly SI a company like yours should really be able to get something like this right, I mean I've been on other site done by 14 year olds that don't have this many problems

Wouldn't it be easier to reload the old skin and get your bugs team too have a look at this new skin to iron out any problems.

Once the problems have been ironed out you can reload it and as they say bobs ya uncle fannys ya aunt

Some of the problems are not related to the skin. We upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin, which was not compatible with the old skin and has lots of functional and design changes.

As part of the upgrade, we've encountered some technical issues as well on the server side and SEGA's web and IT teams are working away on solving those for us. The speed and double posting issues are related to technical problems and are not skin related, but they should have improved by now for you and are still being worked on.

Really don't like it, loved the simplicity of the last one to be honest. Hate all the white, especially hate the section to the left of posts showing the user, far too much white over there. All in all, just really, really bad.

Edit: And im constantly timing out, which never used to happen...

The background's a little easier on the eye now, though its still a little too bright at night time. Also, the left side with display names is still a bit too wide. I think I could get used to the rest of the layout/design though.

I do constantly get "Error: Timed Out" messages though, which is very annoying.

I like it. Nice and clean, simple, uncluttered :)

A lot of comments being made about the brightness of the screen. I think this is very much a matter of personal taste and maybe even people's eye-sensitivity to white screens. Personally, I like them but I understand that others don't and I have come across this dislike when designing my own forums. Hence, I would strongly suggest that SI offer an alternative, dark-skin. Would take minimal coding, changing colour of a few banners, maybe offer a dark background with light text.

I don't know how much this has to do with the skin but since the new skin was introduced i can't get the forums to work properly. i keep getting variations on the "internet explorer can not display the web page" theme and messages saying the website can't deal with the high volume of traffic it's getting. this never happened to me on the old skin :(

:thup: :thup: :thup:

it's not like it's just occasionally. it happens all the damn time.

I'll third this, I was an hour at one stage last night suffering from 504 gateway errors (not the number of them but the code). The only solution was to reload to the previous screen and try again, and that at best was a 50/50 shot.

Frankly I'm guessing the most of the problems are that it's a new version of vB and the kinks in the master software aren't ironed out yet.

504 Gateway Time-out

Sorry, the website is very busy right now and is unable to respond due to weight of traffic - Please try again shortly

How is this happening. If anything there is less trafic than usuall because people are put off from using this site until it is sorted properly.

Can anybody recommend a FM site that is good and works until this is sorted.

Archived