The Official Football Manager 2010 DEMO FEEDBACK Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit disappointed to note that Man United have spent £15m+ each on two 30+ year olds, plus £10m on a 29 year old, while selling off Nani for £5.5m. I really can't imagine many top teams paying that sort of money for players of that age, and certainly not Man Utd. I'd sort of hoped AI teams would be a bit more thoughtful with their transfer policies.

• SI Staff
Sub standard compared to FM2007.

I'm sorry, but I just dont see how anyone could come to that conclusion, but I guess its all about opinions :)

Feel free to log any stuff you dont like in the bugs forum, if you upload pkms etc then chances are it will get looked at for one of the patches.

Just had a goal that I don't think I saw once on FM09.

Stoke had a corner last minute of the game, it was cleared to the edge of the box, then Sidwell released Warnock instead of just randomally hoofing it, leaving Warnock one on one with the keeper despite being just entering the Stoke half and he finished into bottom corner.

I remember going mad on 09 at times, my players being completely free on the counter attack, all it needed was a simple pass most non league footballers could play yet they just smacked it anywhere.

I think the interface is probably the worst ever. Things seem randomly thrown around the screen, and finding Player Search (Transfer Centre) or even Save/Quit Game (and the entire related menu hidden behind the randomly placed "FM" icon) was a real pain.

I had to say that bit first. The rest of the game is absolutely amazing - and I really do not say this often about games. I'm impressed, well done, it's certainly a huge step forward from FM09 and earlier.

I thougt IRL Man Utd had a policy not to buy players over 26. Also, I had a rather brilliatn goal scored for me recently. My DM (I play with a diamond formation, very reliable imho) got the ball sort of layed off to him from a FK which was 35 yards out according to the commentator, and absolutely blasted it into the top corner. Keeper was helpless.

First things first did what a few others did and got my names the wrong way around

But this does look tasty, only played two pre season games so far but this is very impressive, cant believe i was even remotely tempted by cm lol

Now as far as im aware the thread is about how prople feel about the demo, as in si want to know what people think. This game looks class, everything has been improved upon and now things that i didnt understand before make a gell of a lot more sense.

Grahically it has moved up a few gears too. the players really do kick the ball much better, felt that in fm09 they kicked it in a funny way but not now

Match engine big improvement, players making sensible runs, defending better and just looks like a proper game of football.

The main screen is very sharp, very easy to find everything you want and everthing where it should be, also the colour scheme is very good too and makes it easy to read.

The processing speed I think has been toched up as well and now seems much quicker as well.

This is what i have noticed but with very little game play so far, i may change my mind but so far this is outstanding, big thumbs up to SI. I have been a bit critical of FM before finding some thing snon sensical but now anything i dont understand is cleared up and is now a great game for beginners and experts alike. The balance which must of been difficult to get right seems to be there.

One thing I dislike is the slider notches on the tactics interface which are too big and obscure the actual setting. It's only a small thing but it's very frustrating.

You can't see the difference between the first two notches, even on the 'player instruction' or 'team instruction' page where the slider is bigger. Even worse, when the slider is smaller (e.g. comparing mentalities or closing down settings for players using the 'view' menu) you cannot see the difference between the first three to four notches and the last three to four notches!

It's a real pain if you want to do some tweaking, as you keep having to click in and out of the player instruction screens to get the bigger slider.

This is a pain for people who like tweaking the sliders and sometimes the slider doesn't reset perfectly to 1, meaning that it can be sitting on 2 and you cannot tell. The only way to see is to click and if the slider moves immediately then it hasn't reset to 1 properly (because it actually takes 2 clicks to get it to move). It's something I'd like to see adjusted slightly to be a bit more user friendly.

Is it possible that the actual notches themselves could be made smaller?

Regards,

C.

We'll ive just finished my first league match as manager of Man City. Played United away and i won 2-1. Tevez and Adebayour. The year's game is a bit too complicated for me. By the way how do you change tactics in a match without it having to be showing a key moment?

And im still disappointed as Wigan got just under 25,000 for there first game of the season against Wolves...never in a million years would that happen... its the same every year, attendences for clubs such as Wigan and Blackburn are unrealistic compared to real life...

I have no sound either. I played a match against my reserves and there was no crowd so that's understandable. But then I played a friendly as Arsenal against Bochum, and there was still no sound.

Only strawberry version has sound.

my 3d rating half star and i have 512mb Graphics card and 2.5 gb ram and my processor 3.1 gz and when I turn game at high level it should be speedy but it's very slow even on meduim level can i know why?

sorry for my english

the game is fantastic....i hope i dont finish the demo before the game is released.... :(

otherwise i need to wait again!

where are the forums where we can exchange tips, good players, tactics, training ideas etc?

thank you for a great game!

This isn't good, it's GREAT. Really, it's the first FM release since '05 that Ive grabbed the demo and been so excited about. The SI crew have every reason to be proud of this and I'm pleased for them that the initial reaction appears to be so positive after some of the criticism of FM09.

I'm one of those guys who lost my way a bit with FM recently despite playing it religously since CM2 because of what I perceived to be ever-increasing complexity - the sliders were fine, but in recent years, I didn't have the time (and, frankly, the skill) to enjoy the tactical side of the game. Now I do. Yet, the complexity can still be there for those who want it. There's something here for everybody - that, I think, is the reason that this will retrospectively be looked upon as a classic version of the series.

Well done to the team, I just hope you get as much enjoyment from your work as we do playing it.

My first impressions are that I don't really like the skin, it's too....... white. But I know that can be changed at a later date. Other than that it's very good. Great fun blowing Notts County's massive budget!

The interface isn't great. I'm really struggling to find things, not user friendly at all IMO. I know I'll get used to it but I can't remember having this much trouble getting used to it. Normally you just cruise right in to the new games.

Just downloading it now. Cant be arsed reading through the pages so can anyone tell me. How much dosh do you get to spend at Notts County?

Between £1m and £1.2m, depending on your season ambitions. I didn't think it sounded alot but I comfortably bought 12 players that greatly improved my squad such as Neil Mellor.

I think that I am finally in love with football manager again, not that i didnt play fm08 and 09 but they kind of lost the magic of the older ones imo but this one just feels so great. Better training would be nice but still so good. Now i just hope there wont be any ******** DRM like in fm09 preventing me from playing it both a day before release (when i bought it!) and on release as the servers were down, i'm still ****ed off about that.

When I first loaded up the Demo last night after work, I was lost, very very lost with the new setup. It took me a few minutes of clicking on different parts of the screen to understand more of the new layout, still not 100% workable for me, but i'll get htere after a few days, in plenty of time before I get the full game within the 2 week time frame.

But generally I think I have to press CONTINUE too many times, more than previous versions, maybe because I haven't played a game yet, I did cancel 6 preseason friendlies, maybe that's why :)

Happy with it so far, so far so good

When I first loaded up the Demo last night after work, I was lost, very very lost with the new setup. It took me a few minutes of clicking on different parts of the screen to understand more of the new layout, still not 100% workable for me, but i'll get htere after a few days, in plenty of time before I get the full game within the 2 week time frame.

But generally I think I have to press CONTINUE too many times, more than previous versions, maybe because I haven't played a game yet, I did cancel 6 preseason friendlies, maybe that's why :)

Happy with it so far, so far so good

yeh well of course cancelling 6 friendlies is gunna make u press continue more lol

Played a bit tonight (got to the first 3 league games of the season), and I'm really enjoying it so far. I love the new skin - very clean and much more user friendly in my opinion. Not that I found previous years to be user unfriendly, but it's still a massive improvement.

The match engine and graphical tweaks are all very good and make FM09 (a disappointment in many ways) look very inferior. Examples include moving nets, substitutes, a reasonable-looking crowd etc.

The biggest improvements were the tactics creator and generally just the whole new tactics system. I love that when you make a substitution and select a player, you can choose his playing style and mentality, as well as highlighting the relevant attributes. It makes it so much easier to create customised tactics.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but I'll definitely be buying this years version and it is indeed 'polished' and is looking likely to be my favourite FM of all time.

Dossena just took a throw in from the edge of my penalty box.

I'd put this in the bugs forum but I seem to be having a weird problem with my internet. I can open certain sites, but it says I have a connection problem when I try to open others.

sounds like u just need a new router or your pc is caput

Some issues:

- When selecting a bunch of players at the same time, you can do something (say transfer list them or offer them to a club), but if you try doing a second thing, it will only do it to the player you are putting your cursor on top of.

- When offering one player, the offering price always reverts to the player value, even if you already tried offering him for a lower price.

- The possibility of customizing screens is great, but it has at least one bug: when customizing staff searches, you only get the same options as for a player (you can't for instance choose to have a column with the Judging Potential for a scout). Other things that I think would make this customizing better (at least to me), would be being able to add the fitness description to the tactics and pre game screen (you can make it appear in your squad screen, but not in the pre-match screen, where it would be more useful), and also the CA according to the Assistant manager. Finally, I think we should be able to make our custom screens show up outside of the "custom" menu (I have no interest in using the original menus, would prefer to have a faster access to my customized menus); and also we should be able to save our customized menus, to be able to share with friends.

Overall, a great step in the right direction!!

lol, I just had a game where, with Contain as my strategy, and "retain possession" as a touchline shout, Klaas Jan Huntelaar booted a ball from the middle of the defensive straight backwards into orbit to concede a corner. Didn't affect the game, but you'd think a player of his quality would know to at least put it to the side for a throw, if not control the ball and boot it the proper direction :p

the game has really impressed me but rather than saying the good points (as most of you already have) i will say the bad points which there aren't really any of but 1st on the vanilla demo the white skin blinds me nut when the full game comes out i will get a different skin so that is solved another thing is the tactics board is to small for my liking but agin solved with a new skin and finally the team talks have not changed but over all a great game

Thanks for the Tactics creator.

The tactical twitching was one of my main bugbears with previous games. This looks like a very intuitive and realistic was of doing it.

Feels more like you are explaining to the team how you want them to play than all that messing about with sliders.

I know different people play in different ways and I like to wheel and deal in the transfer market an find the right players for my system. In previous editions, that was hard, because it was difficult to get your 'system'.

Now I can decide how to play and look for the right players to fill the gaps.

Normally, my first few weeks of a new game would be a string of 5-0 defeats butthis time althought I'm struggling in the League, it's realistic struggling and I can see why.

Excellent work SI!

Oh yes, one thing I spotted.

I know in the early versions of previous editions, there has been an issue with penalties (never being saved for example)

I've had two spot-kicks so far and both have been hit straight down the middle. Both have been kicked clear by the 'keeper. The first went straight back to my striker who proceeded to kick it straight back down the middle again for another easy save, and the second was just cleared.

Quite possibly jus down to my own players though!

• SI Staff
I don't actually care for dribbling animations at this point. I just want my technical gifted players to be able to dribble past opponents, even if it means passing through them.

I just can't believe that this is still not happening in the game. This may also explain in an indirect way why there are no statistics of the runs made in the analysis tool.

Major, major disappointment.

No, that is not the direct or indirect explanation for the analysis tool not having dribbles/runs past opponent show. That was just never included in the original wishlist of things to track with the tool. You may have noticed that "Runs Past Opponent" has however been a stat tracked by the match stats for quite a while and we are looking into also adding this into the analysis tool in the future.

Why on earth has the continue button been removed from the right bottom corner? It's not as if it's been removed to allow something else to go in it's place, there's just an empty space.

just press the space bar if its that much of a proble

• SI Staff
I'm very disappointed that you still can't give team talks to players during substitutions.

Yes you can. When you have setup a substitution, the "Team Talk" tab in the tactics screen becomes available and you can setup team talks for any subs in there before confirming the sub(s).

The team talks are not yet available if you make a quick sub straight from the TV view but we are also looking into implementing the team talks in there sometime in the near future.

I love FM2010 :

- the new presentation is perfect

- The tactic creator is great

- the analys tool is a great step in realism

- the 3D engine has been improved a lot

- the animations are quiet better

- the interactions and medias, I like it.

- I love the backroom advice

- Idid not test the transfer realism still

I would like to be improved immediatly for the next FM :

- the training system of course ( I love to take time for that, please be original and realistic)

- the animations should take a bigger step ( not for fun, but for a better evaluation of each attributes of the player )

- more talks with each player ( not only by press or during a match )

Played one match. It looks stunning. The interface is confusing at first look, but it's beautiful to look at. Everything is there and I'm sure even I will be able to use it after a couple of hours.

Too early to say how good it will be to play day in day out. As it stands I will be buying this as soon as I have funds.

Well done SI.

Archived