The Official Football Manager 2010 DEMO FEEDBACK Thread

Just a quick reminder for those who say the game has faster navigation and less button lag. You are playing a demo with very few leagues and not any background history.

The demo of FM 09 was very fast too. Let's hope that the smoothness of FM10 remain the same when we play it properly - I doubt it though.

Anyway, first impressions are better than expected. I'll come back with more.

Just fix the reputations of some players (like Giggs) or some teams (like Liverpool) for starters.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick reminder for those who say the game has faster navigation and less button lag. You are playing a demo with very few leagues and not any background history.

The demo of FM 09 was very fast too. Let's hope that the smoothness of FM10 remain the same when we play it properly - I doubt it though.

Anyway, first impressions are better than expected. I'll come back with more.

Just fix the reputations of some players (like Giggs) or some teams (like Liverpool) for starters.

Our speed tests show a significant speed increase across the whole game. The full game is just as quick.

Our speed tests show a significant speed increase across the whole game. The full game is just as quick.

Marvelous!

Questions: Where is the "pressure" instruction in Touchline instructions?

Also, why can't i give touchline instructions in certain players, this happens all the time in real life.

The smoothness in general is very impressive, matches play very well. I have witnessed some stupid AI things but until now nothing serious.

Also, what happens when we have two contradicting instructions in Touchline Instructions? For example, what happens when we have clear the ball to flanks and exploit the midfield on?

Hello,

I am currently downloading the larger demo from Steam and wanted to know the database size before playing- can I choose the size or should I wait for the official full length? Is large/huge DB available on the demo?

Thanks

This is absolutely a fantastic game. Have not played the demo for long but love the fact that when you start at a new club they inform you that ALL non-playing staff will accept mutual termination of contracts! A great, and much needed touch which allows you to implement your own regime.

Also I notice Bendtner is woeful!!! Most accurate fm in history in that respect :D

Top job

Well been playing the demo for around an hour today, before i head back to work and i must say, this looks like the best FM yet. The match engine looks superb and the passing is realistic as well as the off the ball movement. This in itself is a major step up from the FM2009 match engine which i was not too fond of.

All in all i will of course be getting this game, and now i am convinced to get it even more. Cant wait and keep up the good work, looks great.

Ps im glad i only paid £2.51 for that 'other game'

Hello,

I am currently downloading the larger demo from Steam and wanted to know the database size before playing- can I choose the size or should I wait for the official full length? Is large/huge DB available on the demo?

Thanks

Demo database is the small one only- larger databases will be available in the full game.

I'm having a good time playing the demo. One thing though:

Can you increase the size of the attribute octagon on the bottom of the player comparison screen? There is so much open space around it and it's so small that it's hard to see differences. I wish I had a magnifying glass to properly use this feature.

Just had a VERY strange glitch during a match against Chesterfield. Playing as Notts County, Ben Davies crossed in the ball and Crossley caught it no problems. He then proceeds to turn around and boot it into his own net. Very odd. I'll go to the bugs forum as well. Other than that, really enjoying it, can't wait till the full game arrives. The fact its free just make it all the more sweeter :D

The thing is there isn't really anything wrong with the ME mechanics and how they work. It plays a realistic game of football for the most part. The only problem was applying user logic to those mechanics.

The problem was indeed applying logics in the first place, not the engine - how the slider mechanics were linked to what's happening in the match. As said, there wasn't a single reason to be that vague about slider and tick box settings up until even comprehensive guides to the game would contradict themselves, starting with the most basic of sliders, like the passing one, where at times you're being told it tells the players what passes to prefer, and other times it's merely a tool to gradually expand a player's passing options without actually telling him what to prefer of this. Heck, you can open a thread right here in these forums what the "counter attack" tick box actually really does in detail, and chances are that most people haven't got a clue or start talking about how they remember one of the devs saying that so and so and so, but he doesn't remember when and where.

Unless that vagueness is where all the "ambiguity" and complexity of the match engine is coming from, I don't see why even the manual covers this as if it's all obvious what is actually being "said" when ticking a couple of boxes. But I refuse to believe that dearly. One of the first things I wondered when I started to get into this game was why there wasn't an in-game tutorial or anything on this. And in the very same season that SI ditches its sliders (well not really) here comes Konami, putting more sliders into their game than any FM iteration ever had combined, has 99 notches for each and lets you see the effect of each on-the-fly as you go along. What a beautiful way to show the effects of adjusting something as abstract as that.

And this still isn't officially solved or covered in any kind of way in FM - and without getting a grasp of it all you'll never get any further than to what is now put as pre-defined options into the game. Maybe it is all covered with these pre-defined settings, but seeing how you can still fine-tune everything the way you want to in the good old way, I very much doubt that. It's a workaround to the problem, but I'll haphazard the guess that it'll come full circle as soon as somebody tries to grow wings and wants to dig deeper than this.

Holy cow.

Been playing the demo for a few hours after grabbing it last night. It is amazing.

Simply amazing.

If we are spared any major bug issues, this will be the best friggin version yet. Thumbs up to you guys at SI for a job that is friggin well done :)

Glad I placed my order long ago.

whats the difference between the gold and vanilla demo ???

thanks in advance

There are 2 versions of the demo: vanilla and strawberry.

Vanilla contains english/n.ireland/wales/scotland quickstarts, no club badges/player photos and is about 300mb.

The Strawberry demo contains all of the photos/pitch textures/ logos, a large number more quick starts and is about 1gb.

:)

**BUG**

When i try to untick tackling it doesn't work. also when i tick some players roaming position or hold up ball it is applying to all players. At least it shows like that.

***i don't know it is the right place for this post!?

There are 2 versions of the demo: vanilla and strawberry.

Vanilla contains english/n.ireland/wales/scotland quickstarts, no club badges/player photos and is about 300mb.

The Strawberry demo contains all of the photos/pitch textures/ logos, a large number more quick starts and is about 1gb.

:)

oh man are you really idiot or joking?! ;)

I'm downloading the fm2010 GOLD DEMO, because there is no other option i see, which is it then???? the vanilla one ?

When i try to untick tackling it doesn't work. also when i tick some players roaming position or hold up ball it is applying to all players.

***i don't know it is the right place for this post!?

If you could post this in the relevant bugs forum with a full description of how to reproduce the issue that would be very helpful. Ta.

Absolutely stellar. This game is fantastic all around. I love the tactics creator, the speed is refreshing, and the 3d is much better than last year. Only small gripe with the match engine itself, is it just me or are the keepers way too hesitant to come off their line? I had an instance playing with Tottenham where Kranjcar threaded a through ball for Crouch, which ended up in the middle of the box. Crouch meanwhile was not even in the box, ran all the way to finally catch up with the ball while the keeper did nothing and banged it into the net. Not a gamebreaker, just think the keepers need to be tweaked so they actually come to sweep up balls when the attacker has no chance of getting there first.

It's not Peter for 2 reasons, in the game he never signed for Notts County making him legally able to play for another side, and secondly the FA have or are said to be about to, allow him to play for someone else before January IRL, West Brom supposidly

EDIT: Just noticed he went to WBA in my demo too, wonder if SI have coded this in as it's reportedly happening irl?

After I played my first friendly match with the reserves and beat them 4-0 the "fans praised the heroes" for such a glorious victory.

Sigh... I guess we will never see all the those details that ruin the atmosphere fixed...

The analysis tool is very nice and much more useful to me than I expected it to be although I'm surprised runs or dribbles are not an option to analyse, could this be added in a patch or will that be another FM because I think it would be just as useful if not more useful than some of the current options to analyse.

Also, whenever a logo is shown in the top right hand corner of a team or match bar, competition or team, why is it small, only taking up half the bar and smaller than whatever logo is on the left if you understand what I mean, it looks naff, is this a bug?

only one thing ive noticed so far maybe just me and not played it long enough yet but the GK`s seem to stand still a lot, had it twice where ball got played through into 6yard box and he just stands still without coming out or diving and player runs onto it and scores

oh man are you really idiot or joking?! ;)

I'm downloading the fm2010 GOLD DEMO, because there is no other option i see, which is it then???? the vanilla one ?

The Gold is the stage the game goes into when the demo is realised and the manufacturing has started. Vanilla and Strawberry and two different versions of the demo. See differences here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=153770

I had lots of problems with FM09, had to install DirectX SDK, and the game ran a bit slow, etc. But this demo feels a lot faster and smoother than FM09. Both navigating and playing matches. Can't tell you how happy it makes me that I can still play my favourite game (or any game for that matter) with my GF4 MX440 and 512MB RAM.

Absolutely stellar. This game is fantastic all around. I love the tactics creator, the speed is refreshing, and the 3d is much better than last year. Only small gripe with the match engine itself, is it just me or are the keepers way too hesitant to come off their line? I had an instance playing with Tottenham where Kranjcar threaded a through ball for Crouch, which ended up in the middle of the box. Crouch meanwhile was not even in the box, ran all the way to finally catch up with the ball while the keeper did nothing and banged it into the net. Not a gamebreaker, just think the keepers need to be tweaked so they actually come to sweep up balls when the attacker has no chance of getting there first.
only one thing ive noticed so far maybe just me and not played it long enough yet but the GK`s seem to stand still a lot, had it twice where ball got played through into 6yard box and he just stands still without coming out or diving and player runs onto it and scores

Maybe try and increase your keepers mentality manually and see if that helps...

*getting prepeared to duck and make a quick exit*

Ive heard about a couple of small issues so far, think with graphics and heard of talk of patch, Could some inform me weather this is just for the usual patches i.e The after january a patch upon release or just after, or weather this will somehow be put into the game itself before it goes into stores

flamme me down.............NOW! *runs away at usain bolt speed*

There is a sticky which details the patching strategy at the top of the forum. The patch will hopefully be available on the 30th October (the day of release) but will not be put into the game before it goes into stores.

b*****cks didn't see that sorry for wasting your time lol and thanks

I know SI is busy atm but i would like to get some answers at my post about the - points: http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4015336&postcount=526

I suspect that they cannot answer every single query from the thousands of posters but I will try to answer the sub one

The game calculates what will happen, then translates them into highlight portions. Once this highlight has stared to be transmitted, it cannot be stopped. If you make a sub during a highlight, the sub will not take place till that highlight is finished. The ball can have gone out of play during the highlight but the game will not stop till the highlight is finished.

If you consider any of the others to be bugs, please report them singly in the relevant Bugs sub forum and the testers will see them there.

Marvelous!

Questions: Where is the "pressure" instruction in Touchline instructions?

Also, why can't i give touchline instructions in certain players, this happens all the time in real life.

The smoothness in general is very impressive, matches play very well. I have witnessed some stupid AI things but until now nothing serious.

Also, what happens when we have two contradicting instructions in Touchline Instructions? For example, what happens when we have clear the ball to flanks and exploit the midfield on?

I was under the impression if you clicked on a player on the 3d view (making their name appear above their head) and then gave a touchline instruction it would be given to that player only..........is this correct ?

Can you issue more than 1 touchline shout? I was tryinh them out last night but each one i selected overwrote the last one. So for example, could i have the team exploit the wings and keep possession...

Yes, but you can't have ones that directly contradict each other.

So, for example, you can't have exploit the flanks and exploit the middle, as they both alter the focus passing settings.

Archived