craziest thing you have done after a defeat

Try telling Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho that it's just a game.

Oh wait, they make their living at the game, so that's why it's okay for them to be upset, right? What about the youth players who are not being paid but are working hard to realize a dream and become professional footballers? Is it just a game for them?

My view is that people who do not react emotionally to victories or defeats lack the competitive drive to make them successful in sport. The greatest players and managers in the world are almost always the most intensely competitive individuals. They may not choke themselves with a mouse cord upon defeat, which admittedly may be a cry for help in a certain way, but they live and die by the results of a mere 'game' called football, and many of them have had angry outbursts, incidents of violence, and dressing room bust-ups over match results.

I find the OP's stories amusing, and to me they indicate how much passion he and his fellow players have about FM. It's not real football, but they still want to win as if it was the real thing. That's the competitive spirit that real life managers look for in their players and staff. It's the same drive to win and the same anger over losing that drives real footballers and managers to success.

Say what you will about the OP, but I'll take his competitive spirit over someone who just shrugs his shoulders at defeat.

Really...?

You have to be kidding...

I play football regularly. My team and I enter tournaments whenever we can. Sure we're never the best team, but we're almost always finalists. Losing in a final after working so hard to get there, all the sweat, the cringing tackles, blood, yes that'd make me lose my temper. Especially when I feel the ref is being too harsh on us or if I myself am not performing. Still though, I don't act out like a little kid. I channel that anger into upping my performance and motivate the team to do the same.

There are other, more productive, ways of being competitive. Instead of bashing the keyboard, laptop, screen or wrapping a mouse around your neck, you could try to figure out what went wrong so that it doesn't happen again. That's the difference between winners and losers. They channel their frustration into something productive not destructive.

Getting mad at a game that in essence was created to kill boredom is, no offence to the OP, mental.

Worse reaction I've had is a calm but dragged out son - of - a - ***** usually followed by me watching the match again to find out how/why we fell apart.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suffer from a condition known as "White-Chalk Syndrome"

IRL, i am gererally a calm and composed person. Put me anywhere near the white chalk of a football field, IRL or video game, and I go comlpetly mental!

I havent broken anything yet... maybe because im a poor student and couldnt afford to replace it :p, But yelling and screaming and swearing is normal....

Pssh! When it comes to football, there is NO such thing as JUST a game....

And I agree with Jorge... Its a competitive drive... Most people cant help it... If it comes to competition i simply hate loosing. It infuriates me. Ill rewatch things and analyse what went wrong in any situation I dont win.

Meh, just a part of our personality.

:)

OP =

Worst I've done is put my hands in my head and shook it...

I'm not a psycho... I just bottle it all up inside and let it explode at some major event :D

Yeah... wow. That guy has some problems.

To be honest I'm struggling to believe those oh so mature people who are claiming they play on after a defeat without feeling even slightly annoyed. While I'm not suggesting that everyone is some kind of psychopathic mouse killer, to those that are - seek help, there has to be some outlet for your frustration surely? You start playing with your players for a while and sooner or later you'll start to take a defeat as a personal insult.

I had FM on an older desktop a few years ago and, seeing as my laptop was "winging it's way to me" at that time, I waited for my next ridiculous defeat. I think it was a home defeat against Man United.

I quite literally beat the hell out of that old Compaq Presario, kicked it off the desk and smashed it to bits. :thup:

It may have beaten me at FM, yes, but it was no match for me at Kick Boxing.

EDIT: I've just read through the OP properly and it's bloody hilarious.

my friend Paul used to wrap the mouse cord around his throat and choke himself

That's brilliant :D:D

Really...?

You have to be kidding...

I play football regularly. My team and I enter tournaments whenever we can. Sure we're never the best team, but we're almost always finalists. Losing in a final after working so hard to get there, all the sweat, the cringing tackles, blood, yes that'd make me lose my temper. Especially when I feel the ref is being too harsh on us or if I myself am not performing. Still though, I don't act out like a little kid. I channel that anger into upping my performance and motivate the team to do the same.

There are other, more productive, ways of being competitive. Instead of bashing the keyboard, laptop, screen or wrapping a mouse around your neck, you could try to figure out what went wrong so that it doesn't happen again. That's the difference between winners and losers. They channel their frustration into something productive not destructive.

Getting mad at a game that in essence was created to kill boredom is, no offence to the OP, mental.

Worse reaction I've had is a calm but dragged out son - of - a - ***** usually followed by me watching the match again to find out how/why we fell apart.

Football is a game, FM is a game based on simulating what managing a club in that game would be like. Getting angry at either is as rational as anything else.

Also in real football the best players in the world (from Messi downwards) get amazingly (and consistently) angry with referees, their own players and even fans and media, which kind of moots your winners dont show anger idea.

I tend to punch the table the computer is on or the wall in front of it if i get angry. Occasionally i'll punch myself on the leg or in the face to try and vent frustration, but smashing the CD or your hardware is a bit far. I do have a semblance of self control.

It depends though. Sometimes i react angrily for even just individual goals against us - whereas, contrastingly, if we are playing well and putting up a fight, i can laugh off a defeat on other occasion's as "one of those things".

This thread is HYSTERICAL! I haven't laughed this hard in ages!

Worst I did was swear (obviously) and I smashed a mouse against the desk.

However, I did have a mate who threw his remote at the TV, breaking it, after France lost the World Cup 2006 on penalites.

someone strangling themselves with a mouse cable would be fun to watch over a game, wonder when he stopped, i suggest going wireless :)

hahaha thats disturbing, you think he is related to this kid ?

Sorry to drift off topic, worth a watch though

I think i went mad once because i was fulham drawing 0-0 with man utd at home, and there was 2 mins left and my keeper had the ball, he turned round to face my goal and kicked it into the net, i had jamie ashdown in goal, i never played him again after that haha.

I've also got a habit of getting rid of goalkeepers after a bad performance. Unlike the above example though it's because the goalkeeper never looked particularly convincing, and one match tends to throw me over the edge.

i did this to Manuel Almunia after we (Arsenal) lost the champions league final to paris saint-germain on penalties, after a mistake by Almunia allowed PSG to equalise in ET. I suddenly splashed out (very unlike me) on Akinfeev and Ochoa and sold Almunia and Fabianski!

Can't you just save and reload. It's pretty easy, even FM fans can follow the instructions.

1) click save

2) If you lose, reload.

This post must be moved into the " cheating section " of the forum.

It is definitely better to brake a keyboard every now and then , instead of cheating like a dandy kid.

Im not a complete psycho like many people probably think I am after this post but after years of being cheated by cm and fm something had to be done, i used to play these games way too much and find that 12 hours of my day 6 days a week was taken up by them and often 36 hour stints, it is just heartbreaking spending that much time and effort on something for it to let you down, im not usually an aggressive person and wouldnt take into a fit of rage like the geezer on youtube but i do as IRL find myself abusing and screaming at the screen or in the stand at players that aint preforming, ok maybe I do need a little counciling

This thread is so funny and has made me laugh out loud at times. I've never done any of the things that some crazy fools have but my most frustrating time was my first season with Newcastle Utd.Beacause i was a rookie, my players had no confidence in me and i was losing games all the time no matter what tactics i used.

i then found this forum and used the simplicity 4-4-2 tactic and my results slowly improved.

My moment of madness and frustration came during the 4th round of the FA Cup. Faced Derby at home. i went for all out attack. i was all over them in possession and shots on target.

However, in the first 58 minutes my forwards hit the crossbar 4 times. 4 BLOODY TIMES!!.

'YOU IDIOTS' i kept shouting at the screen (whilst my wife was looking at me wondering what was happening).

I thought, are you telling me my forwards are accurate enough to hit a piece of wood 4 inches wide but can't hit the back of the net!!!!!!!

And yes, you've guessed it, score at 0-0, in the 5th minute of 3 minutes injury time (yes you read that bit right), Rob Hulse scores a 20 yard volley (He couldn't do that on fantasy island, never mind in real life). i lost it - big time. 'YOU F*CKIN B*STARDS' i screamed as loudly as i could. My wife spilt her tea as she jumped, and i swear my defenders all cowered on the pitch. the ref blew for full time. i lost 1-0, and to cap it all off i was sacked.

This bloody game can be so frustrating, but you know what, we all keep coming back for more;)

Played a lan game with some friends and had a fantastic team actually. Got players like Fabregas, Aguero, Bojan, David Luiz etc etc.

Anyway I played really poor and ended 5th but that was ok, i can handle that tho. But in the last game I played against one of my mates, who had won the league allready... and he still put on the best team ofc and I got abit angry when I played draw in overtime, and lost my 4.th spot...

Well I crushed my mouse, the keyboard lacked some keys and I sold every player I had to only buy U-17 players..

After reading the thread about people doing commentary on there games I want to know what the craziest thing people have done after losing a match or missing out on a player or the usual little c**t scoring on you like he has done each and every game or a gk saving every shot with every part of his anatomy like Gomes did before I mashed him up in the editor

Anyway I'll start with my story, a story about my brother and one about my friend..

After staying up all night to finish off a season that had me really excited because I came back from 14 points behind at xmas to be top on goal difference with one game to go while managing Newcastle a couple of years ago, I was playing Boro last game of the season and had 20 shots on target only for Stuart Taylor as always to keep a clean sheet against me to lose the league, I took the disc out of the computer, threw it to the floor and jumped up and down on it till it was smashed while pulling my hair and screaming, I conned my brother many years ago on it offering him 1k plus 10 mil after 1 international appearance for Markus Babel who was retired for Germany at the time and when he realised he punched me and locked me out of the house for hours, my friend Paul used to wrap the mouse cord around his throat and choke himself when Ismael Miller used to score on him on the last game

anyway hope to hear about your reactions to things like this

Are you from St Helens by any chance?

Just read the opening post and, for my own faith in humanity, I hope it's fake.

Worst I've ever done is shut down FM09 and go and get a cuppa tea... I lost the CL final on pens with Juve :(

you gotta make sure you calm down peter-evo.. :)

I actually broke my laptop's screen once after losing a game on FM :(

Not as bad as it sounds, but I was sat at my desk playing it, was twirling a pen between my fingers whilst doing it, lost the match and was pretty hacked off about it so got up to go get a cup of tea and a snack and cool off. Got to the door and realised I was still holding the pen, so tossed it back onto the desk - hit the screen and put a massive crack in it!

Didn't even throw it hard :confused:

this thread is ace. :D

i haven't gotten very angry that regularly at all with FM because i seemed to just **** all over it, but back in CM days i used to get into moods for literally hours, and stop playing for weeks / months because it was that frustrating. my old pc keyboard / monitor has taken a lot of abuse too. mostly it's banging my desk and swearing.

Football is a game, FM is a game based on simulating what managing a club in that game would be like. Getting angry at either is as rational as anything else.

Also in real football the best players in the world (from Messi downwards) get amazingly (and consistently) angry with referees, their own players and even fans and media, which kind of moots your winners dont show anger idea.

They can show anger (comparable to screaming at your screen) they don't lash out, and when they do they generally regret it because they tend to get sent off. By the way when was the last time you saw a player tying their boot lace around their neck?

Football sim or not this is only a game. We don't earn our living playing this game, and our life won't be judged based on it either. You can't go comparing us with the Messi's of the world.

Archived