Your team for Football Manager 2010?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
St. Albans City for me. cheerful.pngw00t.png

Well I'm shocked. :D

I was going to go with Liverpool as usual, but I'm currently enjoying my Hoffenheim save so much lately that I may go with the Hoffe for a change.

Liverpool only ever leads to heartache anyway :(

I always go low. Past few years I've been playing the mighty Yeading (now Hayes & Yeading), but with the marvellous league editor I can now go even lower! Can't wait...

Playing LL teams is more of a challenge for me and it feels fantastic after a few seasons when you finally get a transfer budget of 10k or something ;).

Plus I'm somewhat of a miser in real life so trawling thru unattached players is akin to going thru the bargain bin at the supermarket :D

Bliss!

Good question and something i hadn't thought about lately. I've been playing FM for the last two seasons and i've managed as follows:

FM 2008

- Forfar Athletic

- Molde FK

FM 2009

- Notts County

- Las Palmas

- FC Koln

- Weymouth

- Manchester City

- Fictional team created on the editor

- Moreirense

- Newcastle United

- Italy

- Forfar Athletic

- Leeds United

I think there could even be more on 09, and the many goes shows how i never got into one greatly. I didn't even complete a full season, apart from with Italy as there are less games in the international season obviously.

I always found myself turning back to the British Isles. But, aside from maybe managing my hometown team Warrington Town using the new editor (somewhere in the depths of the English pyramid), i will make sure persist with a game overseas when it comes to FM10. Particularly Europe. That rules out the leagues of England, Wales, Scotland, Southern/Northern Ireland as well as South/North America, South Africa and Asia.

Another thing, something i've never done is manage a team in European competition (i.e. Champions League or Europa League). I didn't get into the City game enough and, although i steered Molde into the UEFA Cup, the starting time of the Norwegian league in contrast with the UEFA Cup campaign (i.e. 6 months apart) meant i never got to see that out before i bought FM09. So a team with some ambition or potential to make European competition narrows it down to a higher end team.

What i do not want is to play with a team already qualified for Europe, because that ruins the thrill of the achievement you get by doing it yourself. Guiding a team you've assembled onto the big stage, and all being well taking them on a very memorable cup run, is far more thrilling than taking over a team whereby the work is already done. That rules out a portion of teams in every league - the teams at the top. [including my team Liverpool, who i never manage anyway for some weird reason as most other people usually manage the team they support at some point. I would only do that to try and replicate how we play on the pitch in real-life, while maybe buying players i'd like to in certain positions but retaining the style and instructions. I don't feel FM allows that though, not accurately enough and particularly because a true 4-2-3-1 is murder to get working properly.]

What i'd also like is to choose a team with some hope of making a mark in Europe, even just competing in the Europa League, so the leagues of Austria, Poland, Bulgaria etc. will probably be given a miss. And Scandanavia, but also because i've managed there before.

So to some up a long post to a simple question... I have no clue who i will manage, only what type of club i'll probably go for and in the knowledge that i've narrowed down the 1000's to the 100's.

I've long been meaning to play the Dutch league. Sparta Rotterdam have caught my eye for a while too, although it would be interesting to try and take Feyenoord back in the right direction after they've lost their way a little bit

Or there is the Italian league. I kind of like Fiorentina and Roma most, but both are in Europe and Roma are skint anyway. I also like Genoa, but they are also in Europe. Napoli are tempting but every man and his dog seems to be playing with them for some reason (perhaps the allure of their historical significance... or maybe they're just rich in the game?), which puts me off. But there are plenty of appealing Italian sides. Udinese, Palermo and, especially, Sampdoria. Playing in Italy may depend on how FM10 works though, because i'd probably like to play with a diamond midfield and that was difficult to do in 09 (a diamond without side-midfielders i mean).

Then there's the French league. Clubs like Auxerre, Saint-Ettiene, Monaco or Valenciennes. I've had a soft spot for Auxerre since i managed them in a Total Club Manager edition (before finding FM...).

I don't want to manage in Spain, Portugal or Russia, so the remaining higher end European league is the Bundesliga. When i played with Koln i wanted to try out a 3-5-2 libero system, which i didn't get into properly, and they had a player there who i thought could play that role hence why i chose them. Were i to begin my first FM10 go in Germany i would probably go for Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen or Eintracht Frankfurt.

Also, my most enjoyable games have been Forfar, Molde and the Italian national team, so perhaps the clue is to manage a team who play in blue? :)

To answer the question, i've little idea who i'll play when i get FM 2010! I'll make that choice when i get it.

I usually get things going with Everton then work on a lower league challenge.

Went to watch Espanyol Vs. Xerez whilst on holiday and really enjoyed it so that has inspired me to start off with them. Could turn into a long term save aswell - Can't see it being very easy toppling Barca and Real.

Firstly get established in Germany, then on to Austria, then POLAND, RUSSIA, ENGLAND......oh sorry got a bit carried away there....Its got to be Arsene Wenger's red and white library, Arsenal. I have never started a game as unemployed so I may take a look at that when I get used to FM 2010.

Well Man Utd obviously, then will have to take a look at Man City.

Afterwards:

Newcastle

Deportivo

Real Madrid

Stockport County

Portsmouth

Roma

A.C Milan

Spurs

Barcelona

Port Vale

Stoke City