Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Do opposition instructions form part of a saved tactic?

The reason I ask is that I have updated the 4 fields (foot, closing down, marking, tackling) for each position on the tactics page as part of setting up a tactic in preseason - so about 20 positions as this covers every type of position.

When it comes to the match and opposition instruction display all 4 fields are blank ...... I would expect the details I have loaded into the tactic to pre populate once the 11 positions of the opposition are known.

Am I missing something ?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would you put CM(a) on this setup? On the left (like in the picture) or the right?

I.e. closer to IF(s) or IF(a)? Where would they get into each others' way more or, conversely, where would CM and IF work together better?

Confused with that and even after watching games can't decide.

LjM0mxy.png

Wasn't sure where to post this so possibly a stupid question:

Am I doing something wrong with my training/coaches or is the REALLY slow tactical familiarity a bug? 13 weeks of tactical training and it's only just gone up to competent, and it's killing me in the league since A) my players are playing like strangers who've never seen a ball before & B) I'm almost certain the AI won't be having the same problem so I'm at a massive disadvantage

2015-11-08_00001.jpg

2015-11-08_00002.jpg

Tactics coach is 3* which isn't terrible. I'm really at a loss at what to do.

General training set to tactical never has got tactic familiarity up so yes it is something you are doing wrong. It's match training what needs to be set to tactics.

Is the preseason shorter this year?

Not sure I managed to get my familiarity much past 75%

Is the preseason shorter this year?

Not sure I managed to get my familiarity much past 75%

Nope. You probably didn't play enough friendlies or changed settings or brought new players into the club, all which slow it down.

I have a stupid question too ,

the CWB has activated the ''run wide with ball '' as part of the role,

choosing cut inside with ball the existing P.I remains so are both activated,

what happens next ? it depends from the ''decisions'' of the player ? what ?

Hi, when analysing a new tactic, I've been wondering about how familiar the team needs to be before I can be sure its solely my tactics set up that means my players are performing in a certain way or whether its just because they haven't learnt my tactic enough to perform what they would be doing if it was fully learnt. I guess I'm talking more about the subtler changes e.g. how high up the pitch they are or their closing down levels rather than 'are they cutting inside with the ball or not' as they are rather more obvious.

Nope. You probably didn't play enough friendlies or changed settings or brought new players into the club, all which slow it down.

I'm Barca :)

I set them up every 3 days as per your Ajax thread and I think I managed maybe 6 games before the euro super cup game on Aug 11

I might we wrong but I'm sure at the start of FM15 I managed 10+ games....

Appreciate that preseason at the end of the first season is where you really get the time you need.

I quite often get message that some of my players are reportedly unhappy about training. It says that they are generally unhappy about the low level of training they are getting.

What to do?

Every one of them have position/role training, and most of them have additional focus training. I'm small side, so I'm not allowed to have too much coaches, but workload are low or average at the most, and I have dedicated fitness and goalkeeping coaches.

I quite often get message that some of my players are reportedly unhappy about training. It says that they are generally unhappy about the low level of training they are getting.

What to do?

Every one of them have position/role training, and most of them have additional focus training. I'm small side, so I'm not allowed to have too much coaches, but workload are low or average at the most, and I have dedicated fitness and goalkeeping coaches.

Increase the general training intensity.

I'm playing with a 442 on counter with a fluid mentality, I'm struggling with not getting enough support from the midfield without compromising myself defensively.

---------af------dlf-s

w-s---cm-d---dlp-s---wm-a (cut inside, dribble more)

Is this just a pitfall of a 442?

I'm playing with a 442 on counter with a fluid mentality, I'm struggling with not getting enough support from the midfield without compromising myself defensively.

---------af------dlf-s

w-s---cm-d---dlp-s---wm-a (cut inside, dribble more)

Is this just a pitfall of a 442?

Have you tried a BBM-CM (s) combo. I know that you could use a more defensively minded player in the CM (s) position. With that, he'll contribute on the attack but do a lot more defensively

Have you tried a BBM-CM (s) combo. I know that you could use a more defensively minded player in the CM (s) position. With that, he'll contribute on the attack but do a lot more defensively

Seems far too open without a DM behind

Silly question, but...

Set up the default opposition instructions in the tactics screen, but there isnt a confirm button, so when I next go to OI pre-match, there is nothing saved. Asking the AM only gives usually one weaker foot instruction. Can anyone advise how to get the default ones to show at the start of every match please?

Silly question, but...

Set up the default opposition instructions in the tactics screen, but there isnt a confirm button, so when I next go to OI pre-match, there is nothing saved. Asking the AM only gives usually one weaker foot instruction. Can anyone advise how to get the default ones to show at the start of every match please?

It should show when you select "Show Positions" in the pre-match OI screen.

This isn't a stupid question per se, but I've a feeling the answer is obvious and I'm just not spotting it.

The AMC in my 4-2-3-1 isn't effecting games nearly as much as he should. I've got Ozil and Cazorla - couldn't ask for better no. 10s - but their average rating regularly falls below 7, and they don't seem to play many key passes. This is my current set-up:

Tactics_zpsjsgg2j0y.png

Mentality: Control

Team Shape: Fluid

Team Instructions: Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Push Higher Up, Close Down More

The obvious thing is that there are no attacking roles, but at the moment this set-up is doing a good of penning the opposition in their penalty area and generating 20+ shots a game, though most of them end up being blocked inside the penalty area. It keeps a good defensive shape, so I'm not bothered about that. We're unbeaten in the league after 13 games, and have won all 5 of our CL matches.

I want the AMC to be a creator, so what should I change? Should I put one of the IFs or the striker on an attack duty? Change the role of the AMC? Try an attacking mentality? I'm interested in seeing what people think.

FM 15 question....

Is it generally frowned upon to have a symmetrical formation, by that i mean IF(a) on both sides with WB(a) overlapping? My notion is if it works dont change it. I see formations everywhere and dont often see both flanks being symmetrical. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FM 15 question....

Is it generally frowned upon to have a symmetrical formation, by that i mean IF(a) on both sides with WB(a) overlapping? My notion is if it works dont change it. I see formations everywhere and dont often see both flanks being symmetrical. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If it works, it doesn't matter. There are guides which advocate a basic starting principle of different Duties down the flanks, but they are "guides" and not hard and fast rules.

This isn't a stupid question per se, but I've a feeling the answer is obvious and I'm just not spotting it.

The AMC in my 4-2-3-1 isn't effecting games nearly as much as he should. I've got Ozil and Cazorla - couldn't ask for better no. 10s - but their average rating regularly falls below 7, and they don't seem to play many key passes. This is my current set-up:

Tactics_zpsjsgg2j0y.png

Mentality: Control

Team Shape: Fluid

Team Instructions: Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Push Higher Up, Close Down More

The obvious thing is that there are no attacking roles, but at the moment this set-up is doing a good of penning the opposition in their penalty area and generating 20+ shots a game, though most of them end up being blocked inside the penalty area. It keeps a good defensive shape, so I'm not bothered about that. We're unbeaten in the league after 13 games, and have won all 5 of our CL matches.

I want the AMC to be a creator, so what should I change? Should I put one of the IFs or the striker on an attack duty? Change the role of the AMC? Try an attacking mentality? I'm interested in seeing what people think.

I'm no expert but to me it looks like all 4 of your attackers are occupying similar space. I would go for a poacher up top and change your CAM to an advanced playmaker

You don't have any players creating vertical depth, so the reason Ozil and Cazorla are not playing key passes is because there are not players ahead of them making runs for them to pick out. You could try changing your DLF to a CF (attack) this way he will make runs and also look to play other players through. Assuming your left IF is Sanchez, I would consider putting him on (attack) too.

I wouldn't go with a poacher as they stay up top and contribute little to build up play which goes strongly against the Control mentality (you need an outlet to hold the ball and layoff) and Fluid Shape.

Why do my right & left backs move out of position all the time? It's costing me many goals..

Player instructions of stay wider & team instructions of Be more disciplined and Stick to positions.

How can I fix this?

What specifically is the passage of play that you're seeing? What Roles / Duties do they have? Do you have any other TIs or PIs (OIs even) which might affect their positioning?

What specifically is the passage of play that you're seeing? What Roles / Duties do they have? Do you have any other TIs or PIs (OIs even) which might affect their positioning?

Thank you for the reply. I'm watching them in 3D match engine run away from their defensive zone to close down on the ball thats in the center or opposite side of the pitch. This leaves their man completed unmarked, and in return, that player goes on to score because no one is there to challenge.

Please view imgur links in response to your question.

http://imgur.com/gZSiYgO

http://imgur.com/06tI8XP

http://imgur.com/8Vd6Aib

OK. They basically won't track back well on an Attack Duty. It could be that the gaps they leave are forcing your DL/R forward into that space in spite of their PIs. Try the Wingers from the ML/R positions instead, you won't notice any difference to their attacking input but they will defend deeper.

I'll give that a try, thank you for your help I appreciate it.

Has there ever been anything published to show exactly what each shout mid match does?

For instance, if Im 1 up with 5 minutes to go, is it better to tell them to tighten up, or concentrate?

Or if Im pushing for a winner, get creative, demand more, etc?

A proper explination of each would be great

Okay this isnt exactly stupid but has probably been answered somehwere...

How do i go about transferring my AML/R who are currently IF(a) and get them to function from the ML/R areas and still keep them functioning like an IF? I currently use a false 9 as my striker and like the fact that he provides assists to these guys and chips in himself.

I dont want him to become isolated from the rest of my team, but i would also like wide guys to help out in defense a little more than they currently do.

Thanks heaps

Okay this isnt exactly stupid but has probably been answered somehwere...

How do i go about transferring my AML/R who are currently IF(a) and get them to function from the ML/R areas and still keep them functioning like an IF? I currently use a false 9 as my striker and like the fact that he provides assists to these guys and chips in himself.

I dont want him to become isolated from the rest of my team, but i would also like wide guys to help out in defense a little more than they currently do.

Thanks heaps

This is what I do. I will use the wide midfielder(att) role with PIs, run with ball, cross less often, cut inside with ball and roam from position.

Cheers, am halfway through my season with Liverpool and am currently holding 1st by 6 points. Will test this and see how the second half goes. I'm generally not a huge fan of excessive PI's so I guess this goes against the grain but for good reason.

I read somewhere that simply putting them on W(a) will have a successful outcome but I'm unsure of that one.

Can a stopper/cover combination work without a DM?

I ask because John Stones (on stopper) and Aymeric Laporte (on cover) just made Divock Origi look like Eden Hazard :(

Yes it can- I use it regularly without a DM. However, I tend only to use it against a lone striker. With two striker formations, I found that there was too much exploitable space between them.

Yes it can- I use it regularly without a DM. However, I tend only to use it against a lone striker. With two striker formations, I found that there was too much exploitable space between them.

I might post a screenshot or a pkm later, but it was specifically a lone striker that I used it against. Although I did set my stopper to Mark Specific Player (Origi). He ended up losing Origi at every opportunity, allowing him goalside every time a long ball was played in his direction.

The players that I groom for those two wide positions are taught cut inside from an early age. Would you suggest the channels ppm as well?

Yes, cut inside is more of a one dimensional ppm imo. I prefer my wide midfielders to have move into channels as it encourage them to look for space off the ball. High off the ball attribute is encouraged when learning this ppm.

Yes, cut inside is more of a one dimensional ppm imo. I prefer my wide midfielders to have move into channels as it encourage them to look for space off the ball. High off the ball attribute is encouraged when learning this ppm.

It's a pretty pointless PPM for wide players as they're already in the channels so it's a waste imo. It doesn't encourage him to look for space it instructs him to play in the space between the fullback and defender which he'll already be doing unless you use the hug the line shout.

Cheers guys for the replies.

On to a question I'm sure is stupid but is their anyway to see who is playing a position better via stats, for instance which of my APs makes more key passes, assists, passing accuracy etc or is it just something I'll have to create in my squad view or each position? I thought maybe match rating would help but it isn't position specific annoyingly enough.

Cheers guys for the replies.

On to a question I'm sure is stupid but is their anyway to see who is playing a position better via stats, for instance which of my APs makes more key passes, assists, passing accuracy etc or is it just something I'll have to create in my squad view or each position? I thought maybe match rating would help but it isn't position specific annoyingly enough.

Create squad views then use the filters to filter out defenders etc.