Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Don't know where else to post this really. But just going through some of the Bust the Net series and seeing Rashidis skin which allows him to see what roles the computer is using, I noticed a lot of really interesting difference between what the AI does with roles and what I'd generally think would be recommended.

I mainly paid attention to the 442s, but seemingly they often used two players on attacking roles for their strikers, all wingers were set to support, and quite a few limited fullbacks were involved. I've almost never used a front 2 with an attack duty, and always have one winger on attack.. and well... who uses limited fullbacks.

Is there something clever in what the AI is doing here, or is it that its picking roles based on the players it has available?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know where else to post this really. But just going through some of the Bust the Net series and seeing Rashidis skin which allows him to see what roles the computer is using, I noticed a lot of really interesting difference between what the AI does with roles and what I'd generally think would be recommended.

I mainly paid attention to the 442s, but seemingly they often used two players on attacking roles for their strikers, all wingers were set to support, and quite a few limited fullbacks were involved. I've almost never used a front 2 with an attack duty, and always have one winger on attack.. and well... who uses limited fullbacks.

Is there something clever in what the AI is doing here, or is it that its picking roles based on the players it has available?

The number of attacking roles the AI uses is determined by the strategy they use. So in defensive/counter tactics they always use no more than 2. In attacking/control tactics they always use 4 or more.

The number of attacking roles the AI uses is determined by the strategy they use. So in defensive/counter tactics they always use 2. In attacking/control tactics they always use 4 or more.

Do you think that is a decent rule of thumb as well?

Also do you think there is a difference between way the AI sets up its teams and the way a reasonably well informed human player sets up?

Do you think that is a decent rule of thumb as well?

Also do you think there is a difference between way the AI sets up its teams and the way a reasonably well informed human player sets up?

I don't think it's a good rule of thumb for the AI as it's easy to exploit. A well informed human player always has the advantage even more so if he knows what roles the AI is using and the strategy.

Ok I think my question is, The AI sets up its role allocation in a slightly different way to most human players I see, and most recommendations I see on here.

Is there something we can learn from how the AI allocates its roles, or is it actually just making fundamental mistakes.

Nothing to learn really and you should allocate roles/duties based on what it is you are trying to create.

Fair enough. I did find it very interesting that from looking at Rashidis thread that the opposition seemingly always played with 3 players on defend duty in a back 4, usually the left fullback on support. Plus the wingers / wide players / inside forwards always seemed to play on support duties rather than attack. Not quite sure why that seems to be a consistent behaviour.

Fair enough. I did find it very interesting that from looking at Rashidis thread that the opposition seemingly always played with 3 players on defend duty in a back 4, usually the left fullback on support. Plus the wingers / wide players / inside forwards always seemed to play on support duties rather than attack. Not quite sure why that seems to be a consistent behaviour.

Counter attacking systems. It makes sense when you think about it because support duties are lower down the field than attacking ones. So to get a counter going you need to have the numbers advantage further down the field not up top as it's pointless. So playing lower makes much more sense as those are the areas where you start counter attacks from.

Counter attacking systems. It makes sense when you think about it because support duties are lower down the field than attacking ones. So to get a counter going you need to have the numbers advantage further down the field not up top as it's pointless. So playing lower makes much more sense as those are the areas where you start counter attacks from.

Thanks, good point. Is that also why they have strikers on attack duty so often?

I might post a screenshot or a pkm later, but it was specifically a lone striker that I used it against. Although I did set my stopper to Mark Specific Player (Origi). He ended up losing Origi at every opportunity, allowing him goalside every time a long ball was played in his direction.

The specific marking then would kind of wreck the whole dynamic of the stopper/cover, though I think your cover man should have been a second line of defense so to speak. My experience is that against the lone striker with stopper/cover, specific man marking isn't needed. Try it without the specific marking assignment, and you should see better results.

Why is it that this player receives so many injuries? He never starts games with less than 95% condition and he is not injury prone according to the coach report.

http://imgur.com/nAoK6iK

I feel like as soon as he steps on the pitch he breaks a leg and is forever doomed :(

edit; another question, why has my defense made 3 own goals in 3 consecutive matches? (1 own goal per match)

how do you put the team to play in a fluid, continuously manner without fail any passes? My coaches are incredible, 4.5* average, but the team fail a lot of passes and the players get in the way of each other... I dont know which training focus I should give... Tips?

My team uses very creative wingers, with a AP and a B2B in the midfield and one Roming Playmaker in the defensive midfield. The team plays with a AF in front!

how do you put the team to play in a fluid, continuously manner without fail any passes? My coaches are incredible, 4.5* average, but the team fail a lot of passes and the players get in the way of each other... I dont know which training focus I should give... Tips?

My team uses very creative wingers, with a AP and a B2B in the midfield and one Roming Playmaker in the defensive midfield. The team plays with a AF in front!

Well you are never going to get 100% passing completion rates- the players make mistakes and there is another team involved trying to stop you. If you mean that you are passing far below what you think you should do, we'd need a good deal more information about your tactical setup. There could be a dozen different reasons for poor passing stats.

Why is it that this player receives so many injuries? He never starts games with less than 95% condition and he is not injury prone according to the coach report.

http://imgur.com/nAoK6iK

I feel like as soon as he steps on the pitch he breaks a leg and is forever doomed :(

edit; another question, why has my defense made 3 own goals in 3 consecutive matches? (1 own goal per match)

Clearly the player is injury prone, as the record shows. Just because it doesn't show up in the coach report doesn't mean that it isn't so. Or, it could just be some bad luck. Honestly, only one of those injuries was serious. As for your own goals,sometimes it just happens. Without any tactical information it is even harder to know. However, those things do happen, and then you might get a run of 3 seasons without one.

I'm playing with Newcastle in FM16, and I want to utilise Mitrovic as a striker with the following PIs:

Hold up ball

Get further forward

Not dribble more

Not move into channels

Not roam from position

Not more risky passes

This sounds a lot like a Target Man (Attack), but as I get a sudden urge to make and destroy a Alan Pardew voodoo doll and curse Mike Williamson 3 times each time I see a long hopeless hoofball towards a lone striker, I'd really like a role without this inherent hoofiness. Is this infact impossible to create in the game?

Well you are never going to get 100% passing completion rates- the players make mistakes and there is another team involved trying to stop you. If you mean that you are passing far below what you think you should do, we'd need a good deal more information about your tactical setup. There could be a dozen different reasons for poor passing stats.

thanks for the reply, doc!

My tactis instructions

d654081e2ae55ffc871115e3f44ec720.png

Im writing this ate the same time Im playing against Liverpool and I noticed that:

- The are few passing options when a player of my team has the ball

- Positioning when defending (right back and left back too close to the centre backs even with the instruction "Stay Wide")

- Left and Right backs arriving late in the corridors near the oposition area

- When a player of my team tacke some oponent, this player tackles and looses the ball to other oponent -> I want another player of my team to gain possesion or the same player that made the tackle progress with ball

- Centre backs making long and wrong passes even if the have the "Passing directeness" option set to "Shorter passing" and the option "Fewer Risky Passes" activated

- Defenders hesitating when in a position that a tackle is in place, even when they have the "Tacke Harder" and "Mark tighter" options activated.

- GK making long and wrong passes even if the have the "Passing directeness" option set to "Shorter passing" and the option "Fewer Risky Passes" activated

- DM making very risky passes in the vacinities of my area

- CB occupying spaces that belong to the RB and LB.

- AP and B2B in the same square feet of the pitch.

- Passing the ball to space when I have the tactic set-up showed above

- Players left totally alone in the pitch, with no short easy and viable passing option.

- Tempo is low!!!! Is so slow!!!!

- Players staying in the same place or walking (not running) with ball when they can charge aggainst the oposition.

- Sectors of the team (defense, midfield and forwards) too far apart

- My passing cmpletation rate is abouth 65-70%. I want it to be ~80% without Reatining possesion!

This was in 45minutes of the match, and I know that I'm a perfecionist!

If you need more information let me know!

Mange tak (thanks!)

I'm playing with Newcastle in FM16, and I want to utilise Mitrovic as a striker with the following PIs:

Hold up ball

Get further forward

Not dribble more

Not move into channels

Not roam from position

Not more risky passes

This sounds a lot like a Target Man (Attack), but as I get a sudden urge to make and destroy a Alan Pardew voodoo doll and curse Mike Williamson 3 times each time I see a long hopeless hoofball towards a lone striker, I'd really like a role without this inherent hoofiness. Is this infact impossible to create in the game?

No you can't- no striker role outside of the targetman can use all of those options. The closest you can get is the DLF(A) but he will have move into channels active or a DLF(S) but he won't get further forward and can't use fewer risky passes.

Vascobailao- what are your roles and duties? In that first screenshot above, you have your striker *very* isolated as you noticed. In the second screen shot, that doesn't look that bad, as you have options around the two players. I can't see the buildup to that play, but sometimes they do decide to both go for the same ball or whatever.

What you should do here, as you have a lot of questions, and there are some answers for you, is start a separate thread with your tactic so it won't get cluttered up and lost in this one. It will make it much easier to sort out what is happening to your team.

No you can't- no striker role outside of the targetman can use all of those options. The closest you can get is the DLF(A) but he will have move into channels active or a DLF(S) but he won't get further forward and can't use fewer risky passes.

And yet we're given 3-4 functionally identical flavours of full-back.

Stupid FM15 question here. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light as I am really baffled. Thought I would have some fun and played half a season using instant result (no match plan) in FMC with all players starting in different positions like goalkeepers outfield, strikers centre back, that sort of thing. Obviously during the game the Assistant must have swapped things around a bit because the line up at the end of the match wasn't what I started with and some players ended the game in more familiar positions but pretty much 70% of the games I still ended up with a central midfield three of Andy Carroll, Darren Randolph (a GK) and Nikala Jelavic and a central midfielder as right back and a wing back as centre back. So in all games I at least finished the match with 4, 5 or 6 players hopelessly out of position.

What intrigued me is that the results aren't bad bar a bad run, morale?, and in all but a handful of games the team always had the lion share of possession. My midfield always had good passing completion rates, decent tackling rates and my GK always won his headers and even in the heavy defeats the team always got shots away. The really bizarre thing is that when played up front Carroll rarely completed more than two games before getting injured (too realistic!!) but never got one injury as a Ball Winning Midfielder!!!

Considering the out of position players I think the results are too good generally so was wondering if anyone can come up with an explanation? Good management by the Assistant, morale playing a part in the runs of form, luck or doesn't it really matter who you put where?

The runs of form are particularly interesting as when playing properly I find this happens quite a lot.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures.png

I was aware that there indeed was no role that perfectly suited my needs, it was written in frustration after being 6-1 down at Arsenal after 60 minutes, and myself somehow blaming this on the way Mitrovic played.

:lol: HOwever, there should be that role to be user created. I see nothing wrong with being able to designing a player role that behaves like a target man without having him set as THE target man.

Playing a 4-1-4-1 I just wonder what combinations people find most effective in the midfield triangle with a DLF up top

Currently using a DM(d) BWM(s) & AP(s), how would a CM(s) with PI's of Close Down Much More & Tackle Harder compare to a BWM(s) and would this be better used alongside a DLP(s)

I like a player attacking from deep so I will choose a CM(A). For the other CM and DM, I will go for a holding role like AP(S) and DLP(D). 1 will dictate play higher up the pitch while 1 will recycle or dictate play lower down the pitch.

How do you tell what you're doing wrong offensively when the game doesn't show your highlights (due to it being a crappy attempt at going forward)?

Watch full matches is the best answer. I watch many matches in full, or if not, at least the first 15-20 minutes, and you can see where you might be going wrong. Or, if you are on highlights and you notice things you don't like- like "hey we haven't had a shot in 15 minutes" or the possession is taking hit, action zones are off, that is the time to switch to full match and have a look. It does take a bit longer to get through a season, but to me it is not that excessive, especially if I care about winning :)

What do I do when my fullbacks get beaten in 1v1 situations no matter the TI or PI? I've tried all combinations (Mark Tighter, Close Down Much More, Tackle Harder, Ease Off Tackles, Close Down Less, etc.) but they seem to be getting beaten with ease by almost any winger!

If it is because they are improperly positioned, then it's a match engine issue that we hope will be corrected at some point in the near future. There are some defensive positioning problems with fullbacks at the moment that are the most evident when there is a transition play coming at you, or a break at speed.

If it is because they are improperly positioned, then it's a match engine issue that we hope will be corrected at some point in the near future. There are some defensive positioning problems with fullbacks at the moment that are the most evident when there is a transition play coming at you, or a break at speed.

Ahh, so that's why. Are the affected positions just the DL/DR positions? Or are the WBR/WBL positions affected as well? Also DCR/DCL in a 3-man defence? Or is it just the fullback player role?

Ahh, so that's why. Are the affected positions just the DL/DR positions? Or are the WBR/WBL positions affected as well? Also DCR/DCL in a 3-man defence? Or is it just the fullback player role?

It seems to affect wingback positions as well, but not, as far as I've seen, the outside centerbacks in a 3 man defense. The good news, if there is any, is that AI is affected just the same.

Can the counter tactic be used as a attack/defence hybrid if your team has a balanced formation? I want my squad to not be too attacking but i also dont want them too defensive. I found that using standard tactic doesnt deliver the proper results in terms of possession and shots at goal.

how do u guys defend on corners ?

i'm not sure if i should put one guy zonal marking near post and the rest of them on man mark.

Depends on my side and the opponent. Usually i bring everyone back leaving a lone striker to stay at half, a mid fielder lurks the box, one defending each post, then my best headers mark tall man and everyone else on man mark.

how do u guys defend on corners ?

i'm not sure if i should put one guy zonal marking near post and the rest of them on man mark.

I wouldn't recommend man marking as most of your attacking players have very poor marking attribute. I go for 3 man markers(2 DCs and your best man marker), next best 3 in marking, jumping and heading to zonal mark, 2 poor jumping and heading to mark the post, 1 good speedy dribbler(probably winger) on the edge for counter. The last extra man can be either forward or close down corner depending on how attacking minded you are.

When training a player to a new position I'm choosing a role for that position, but is that still training my player to the position? Or just to the role?

I only ask as I have had a player training on APa via the MC position and his positional ability hasn't improved in half a season.

Could be down to his lack of starts, or that we're semi pro so not much training time, but I wanted to check I'm doing it right so as not to waste further time.

Cheers