Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It means that if you have very good defenders, then they will pro-actively assert themselves. It can also serve to intimidate players with poor technique.

Mechanically doesn't it set tackling to hard for all players? I can't recall as I haven't used it in ages.

If my reserve team is empty, will my u19's be automatically be called up to play matches for the reserves instead of greyed out players?

I've never seen that happen on any of my saves, the reserve team usually just plays with a bunch of greyed out players, however I haven't been well-travelled on FM15 so it might vary depending upon the league you play in?

It means that if you have very good defenders, then they will pro-actively assert themselves. It can also serve to intimidate players with poor technique.

I wanted to use it to win the ball back quickly, guess it doesn't have the desired effect? Just increases risk of fouls.

Hello.

I have two questions, one of them is for Cleon, if you dont mind.

First is, does it make sense to make a player in CM position with poor vision to come deep to get the ball in a tactic with no DMC?

Cleon, regarding training, i remember in older FM versions, your method was to change individual training focus every 3 months for a player. Did you also count those 3 months in the end of the season when the players were in vacation?

Thanks!

I wanted to use it to win the ball back quickly, guess it doesn't have the desired effect? Just increases risk of fouls.

If you have good tacklers it could help as your men will be more aggressive in deciding to challenge

Hello.

I have two questions, one of them is for Cleon, if you dont mind.

First is, does it make sense to make a player in CM position with poor vision to come deep to get the ball in a tactic with no DMC?

Cleon, regarding training, i remember in older FM versions, your method was to change individual training focus every 3 months for a player. Did you also count those 3 months in the end of the season when the players were in vacation?

Thanks!

Why would it make sense for someone poor who can't see all the options available, to be the one who drops deep and acts as the link player?

As for training no I don't count the 3 months vacation because they're not training obviously :D

I found some notes on preseason training that I think I made via Cleons Ajax thread.

My note simply says - "no individual player training preseason"

So does that mean no new PPMs?

Or no new positions?

Or no "new" role training?

Or all of the above :)

2 question

1.anybody know what combination role to made scholes-keane combination on man utd 99/00 squad?

2.I'm bit unsure,if I want a lone striker without AMC partner, with attack role, beside deep lying forward, what's good for him so he is not isolated? And if I got AMC as partner, still advanced forward/poacher got isolated as lone striker

2 question

.I'm bit unsure,if I want a lone striker without AMC partner, with attack role, beside deep lying forward, what's good for him so he is not isolated? And if I got AMC as partner, still advanced forward/poacher got isolated as lone striker

AF and Poachers are the furthest forward playing striker positions, so I have found they will need an aggressive midfielder or two behind them not to get isolated during normal build-up. If you have an AM that will push up into the box regularly that would help. Otherwise you could look to a deeper playing role like defensive forward, and use attack or support duties as you see necessary to provide the right mix for you. A target man support will come deeper, but with the disadvantage that players will direct passing at him a lot more. What would be your objection to a deep-lying forward? I have used one as a lone striker and found it to work well, he still scored a gob of goals.

So I'm managing Frankfurt (Bundesliga) an my team is a decent middle of the table kind of team. The problem is when i compared my team to the rest of the league the passing, First touch and compose attributes are the wordt in the league. I do have a physical team though. How do I handle this? Play direct or short passing? Tempo? What's a good way to utilize a non-passing, physical team.

What do you do to keep your players' match fitness up at the end of the season when there aren't as many fixtures on the schedule? After the cup runs are over I don't really need to rotate to rest players and even the players who play regularly lose a little bit of match fitness with a week in between fixtures. Should I be scheduling friendlies or U21 match to keep the rest of the squad fit?

What's the difference between 'comes deep to get ball' and 'plays with back to goal', and why can't a player learn both?

What's the difference :confused: it's completely different: the first one means the player will drop / come deep (near the midfield) to get the ball; the second also means exactly what it says, with his back to the goal.

Movement != Body Position. They both may have there back to goal but the positioning changes the role it has.

Playing with your back to goal you aren't looking to drop deep to collect the ball. Your looking to receive the ball, to your feet, in an advanced area. From there you can roll the defender, flick it on, play it back etc.

If you've dropped deeper to collect the ball, your looking to play through balls, dribble at defender etc.

If a player plays with his back to goal, he won't drop deep to get the ball? And if a player comes deep to get the ball, surely his back will be facing the goal? And my original other question - why can't a player learn both?

They can have both.

Ok so look at this. https://youtu.be/sdjkumVS8A0?t=13m32s

Koscielny gets the ball, plays around with it and then tries to pass to Giroud, who is promptly tackled. Giroud is playing with his back to goal but simultaneously has come deep to get the ball. How would you go about replicating that movement?

Your thinking of absolutes. Just because a player as a "Preferred Move" does not mean "does it everytime". They don't have to have that PPM to come deeper. If there instructions tell them to work that area they will, it depends on a number of factors (Role+Duty, Team Shape etc). DLF-S should work the area highlighted in that video.

Was something changed in a recent patch then, because every time I've tried to teach it to a player who plays with his back to goal, the option doesn't exist. I can't check right now as I've got Giroud learning another PPM.

No, I've got my own players to have both and I've seen the AI players with both since FM13 so it's nothing to do with a recent patch.

After Giroud's finished PPM training I'll check again. How do you do it? Through PPM training or tutoring?

All PPM's can now be learnt via PPM training. There are no exclusive tutoring ones any longer. On my current save I found this player playing in Iceland;

UwLWBGD.png

If a player plays with his back to goal, he won't drop deep to get the ball? And if a player comes deep to get the ball, surely his back will be facing the goal? And my original other question - why can't a player learn both?

Why should he drop ? The two movements don't relate with each other. A player that plays with his back to goal is a movement much more appropriate to a Striker (AF, Target Man, Poacher), creates space because of his presence and drawing the opponents to himself; a player who drops deep creates space because of his roaming from position dropping deep in this case, it's more appropriate for a False 9, a Number 10, a DLF or even for midfielders.

It was changed for FM15.

Thanks. I think there's a ppm about finishing that is not listed, but I don't know the original term. There's: places shots, shoots from distance, Refrains from taking long shots, Shoots with Power, Attempts overhead kicks, Lob Keeper and Round Keeper. But there's another one about to give an effect to the ball (the bold word is surely translated badly).

Thanks. I think there's a ppm about finishing that is not listed, but I don't know the original term. There's: places shots, shoots from distance, Refrains from taking long shots, Shoots with Power, Attempts overhead kicks, Lob Keeper and Round Keeper. But there's another one about to give an effect to the ball (the bold word is surely translated badly).

Curls ball. They can all be taught there are no longer exclusive tutoring only PPM's.

Sorry for the silly question if it is one but can you train a preferred move one after the other? I have a 19 year old player who i'd like to teach a PPM too. I already coached him in one but the option to Suggest Preferred Move doesn't come up for him anymore?

Sorry for the silly question if it is one but can you train a preferred move one after the other? I have a 19 year old player who i'd like to teach a PPM too. I already coached him in one but the option to Suggest Preferred Move doesn't come up for him anymore?

Yes you can. The thing is sometimes the option turns gray if the player is being tutored or if injured.

I have two youth players who can slot into my LL senior team straight away, but my coaches advise both players "do not enjoy big matches".

Does playing these guys in important matches and gain experience actually help or are they stuck with this trait for life? Is there anyway I can "train" this negative trait out of player by mentoring?

I have two youth players who can slot into my LL senior team straight away, but my coaches advise both players "do not enjoy big matches".

Does playing these guys in important matches and gain experience actually help or are they stuck with this trait for life? Is there anyway I can "train" this negative trait out of player by mentoring?

It is something that can improve with time and experience, though I wouldn't look for it to increase drastically as a general rule. It is good idea to find a tutor that has one of the good handling pressure personalities: iron-willed, resilient, light-hearted, jovial, spirited, model citizen.

Re a 4312. Not sure if anyone has any ideas for the three major problems I encounter with this formation?

1. Lateral movement of the forward three? Lateral movement in FM seems quite poor but trying to get the front two pulling defenders away for the AM seems very difficult no matter what roles you play. My main success goals wise in this formation is through a CF A on the right but no matter what role I play on the left they rarely score and again no matter what role I play in the AM strata it just doesn't click so wondered if anyone has any thoughts>?

2. Defending of the front three? Even with a high block with say closing down and hard tackling on the front three I don't think I have ever seen a mistake from the opposition, an interception from a forward or a rushed pass from panicking defenders. It seems to the eye that a high block is fairly useless for me, so is there any way to get it to work? Also is there any way to get those front three to come back and defend deeper? One of my main difficulties in FM is that it's pretty impossible to get your forwards doing anything more than hanging around up front when the opposition is attacking. I see a slight improvement on an AM if changed to a support duty but then he loses attacking intent so has anyone found a way to get a front three defending better?

3. If you play a flat three in midfield even a DLP D will not cover the DM strata well enough. If you play a Diamond midfield with a DM then the two CM's will be too narrow and not defend the flanks as well as the do in a flat three so has anyone found a way of getting a DLP D or a CM D to drop into that hole when the opposition attacks? When you have possession with a flat three the DLP D drops pretty much in between the CB's, especially when you have play out of defence ticked as he obviously comes deep to get the ball (will probably have it as a PPM). That is pretty much the area you want him if the opposition attacks but he never drops in. Even with close down less ticked he still stays pretty much in line with the other CM's, so is there anything you can do in closing that gap between the CB's and CM D or DLP D in the midfield~? I find that even pushing up makes no difference in closing that gap.

Re a 4312. Not sure if anyone has any ideas for the three major problems I encounter with this formation?

1. Lateral movement of the forward three? Lateral movement in FM seems quite poor but trying to get the front two pulling defenders away for the AM seems very difficult no matter what roles you play. My main success goals wise in this formation is through a CF A on the right but no matter what role I play on the left they rarely score and again no matter what role I play in the AM strata it just doesn't click so wondered if anyone has any thoughts>?

2. Defending of the front three? Even with a high block with say closing down and hard tackling on the front three I don't think I have ever seen a mistake from the opposition, an interception from a forward or a rushed pass from panicking defenders. It seems to the eye that a high block is fairly useless for me, so is there any way to get it to work? Also is there any way to get those front three to come back and defend deeper? One of my main difficulties in FM is that it's pretty impossible to get your forwards doing anything more than hanging around up front when the opposition is attacking. I see a slight improvement on an AM if changed to a support duty but then he loses attacking intent so has anyone found a way to get a front three defending better?

3. If you play a flat three in midfield even a DLP D will not cover the DM strata well enough. If you play a Diamond midfield with a DM then the two CM's will be too narrow and not defend the flanks as well as the do in a flat three so has anyone found a way of getting a DLP D or a CM D to drop into that hole when the opposition attacks? When you have possession with a flat three the DLP D drops pretty much in between the CB's, especially when you have play out of defence ticked as he obviously comes deep to get the ball (will probably have it as a PPM). That is pretty much the area you want him if the opposition attacks but he never drops in. Even with close down less ticked he still stays pretty much in line with the other CM's, so is there anything you can do in closing that gap between the CB's and CM D or DLP D in the midfield~? I find that even pushing up makes no difference in closing that gap.

I think choosing very fluid might help with the front line, I could be wrong but when I've played that way it appears strikers will come deeper without the ball to help defend, have a look at Rashidi's 4312 that he used with WBA for inspiration, don't blindly copy it though because it needs to suit your players and your style.

With the strike partner issue choose one role at stick with it for a few games, highlight that player and look at his work:

-Off of the ball in possession

-Off of the ball without possession

-And when he has the ball at his feet

That way you'll be able to tell whether he's actually doing important things that you've not noticed, additionally look at his stats, how many key passes, dribbles etc... that way you'll be able to gage if he's doing what you want.

If you're still not seeing what you like/want change the role and repeat the process.

I think choosing very fluid might help with the front line, I could be wrong but when I've played that way it appears strikers will come deeper without the ball to help defend, have a look at Rashidi's 4312 that he used with WBA for inspiration, don't blindly copy it though because it needs to suit your players and your style.

With the strike partner issue choose one role at stick with it for a few games, highlight that player and look at his work:

-Off of the ball in possession

-Off of the ball without possession

-And when he has the ball at his feet

That way you'll be able to tell whether he's actually doing important things that you've not noticed, additionally look at his stats, how many key passes, dribbles etc... that way you'll be able to gage if he's doing what you want.

If you're still not seeing what you like/want change the role and repeat the process.

Thanks Fosse.....

Another question for those who use a stopper/cover partnership in defence. How do you set up behind an attacking full back and a support full back? Eg

A)

FB A..........CB C..........CB X..............FB S

or

B)

FB A..........CB X..........CB C..............FB S

I guess in A you are covering the space left in behind the attacking full back, but in B you are controlling space in front. Guess there are pros and cons for both set ups so am interested how others set up?

In this case my defence is behind a midfield three of BWM S....DLP D.....BWM S

Thanks Fosse.....

Another question for those who use a stopper/cover partnership in defence. How do you set up behind an attacking full back and a support full back? Eg

A)

FB A..........CB C..........CB X..............FB S

or

B)

FB A..........CB X..........CB C..............FB S

I guess in A you are covering the space left in behind the attacking full back, but in B you are controlling space in front. Guess there are pros and cons for both set ups so am interested how others set up?

In this case my defence is behind a midfield three of BWM S....DLP D.....BWM S

I would usually be hesitant to play an attacking full-back alongside a stopper, but in theory your CB-X won't be dragged out too far forward as you have a DLP-D occupying space in front, and the BWMs closing down the ball in midfield.

In your formation I would use the FB-A and stopper on the same side, so that the centre-back will aggressively close down the wide spaces left open by the marauding full-back. A cover player on that side would be more likely to give a winger a free run down that wing if he gets in behind the full-back.

I would usually be hesitant to play an attacking full-back alongside a stopper, but in theory your CB-X won't be dragged out too far forward as you have a DLP-D occupying space in front, and the BWMs closing down the ball in midfield.

In your formation I would use the FB-A and stopper on the same side, so that the centre-back will aggressively close down the wide spaces left open by the marauding full-back. A cover player on that side would be more likely to give a winger a free run down that wing if he gets in behind the full-back.

Yep that's what I was thinking. It's got it's pro's and con's to both but I did wonder if you played a cover defender behind a attacking full back the gap in front would be too big. Guess it depends on mentality as well. If you are pushing up space in front is less of a problem but if you are dropping off the opposite could be true.

You have the same scenario with full backs on which side of strikers,. Do you put a FB A on the side of an attacking duty forward or a support duty one?