176 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard or Pirlo

• Steven Gerrard (for Liverpool fans)
    • Andrea Pirlo (for everyone else)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did I say technically? no

He's a better player than Gerrard and had a better career also. 2 time CL winner, numerous league titles, WC winner, Motm in a WC final. Gerrard cant dominate games the way Pirlo did tonight, albeit he is a fantastic player.

People deciding a whole career based on a penalty kick ffs.

Istanbul, Millenium Stadia etc should immediately make him better.

Expected so much better. Im talking career, individual and on a personal level.

Pirlo can't even defend or run ffs :D

Pirlo's won a world cup you spaz. Millenium Stadium :D :D

There's a load of Gerrard haters on OTF anyway, so you were never going to get far. He could have the game of his life and the majority response will still be "yeah he's not too bad, did better than I expected"

Pirlo is much better at the moment. But I don't think over the course of their careers it should be the landslide victory that this poll will show.

Oh waw.

Should have done this another time shouldn't I. People blinded by 1 match.

It is very funny how some people's memories go so quickly.

Not at all, you've just made bollocks arguments against Pirlo ... for instance 'he can't defend or run', I mean what kind of argument is that ffs. He lets the ball do his talking and is a superior player to Gerrard (at their peaks)

Pirlo's won a world cup you spaz. Millenium Stadium :D :D

And.

Dudek

Finnan

Traore

Rijse

Carra

Hyypia

Kewell

Garcia

Alonso

Gerrard

Baros

vs

Dida

Cafu

Maldini

Stam

Nesta

Kaka

Seedorf

Gattuso

Pirlo

Sheva

Crespo

After that day people can still say Pirlo's the better complete player?

Pirlo would get squished by Huth and Shawcross ffs :D

Pirlo's a better passer, granted(not that far)

Gerrard is a better finisher, crosser, engine, marker, tackler, stronger isn't he not?

Passing is rated a bit higher for a creative midfielder than engine.

You could come up with a list of attributes of why Heskey as a player has been better than Inzaghi, with "finishing" being the only thing that Pippo did better. It wouldn't make Heskey the better player.

And.

Dudek

Finnan

Traore

Rijse

Carra

Hyypia

Kewell

Garcia

Alonso

Gerrard

Baros

vs

Dida

Cafu

Maldini

Stam

Nesta

Kaka

Seedorf

Gattuso

Pirlo

Sheva

Crespo

People blinded by 1 match.

Check yoself before you wreck yoself.

And.

Dudek

Finnan

Traore

Rijse

Carra

Hyypia

Kewell

Garcia

Alonso

Gerrard

Baros

vs

Dida

Cafu

Maldini

Stam

Nesta

Kaka

Seedorf

Gattuso

Pirlo

Sheva

Crespo

So you accuse people of being blinded by one match. And then back up your point with an example of one match? :D

Oh waw.

Should have done this another time shouldn't I. People blinded by 1 match.

It is very funny how some people's memories go so quickly.

No they're not you complete clown.

They're basing it on their respective careers & that Pirlo has achieved more. Not only that, but he's done it at multiple clubs too.

Gerrard may have had a good career in England. But Pirlo has had a fantastic career for both Club & Country. He has the medals to prove it too.

Sit down mate, Pirlo was good but the amount of love he's getting is unbelievable. It was an average MOTM performance, not to mention him losing the ball where Rooney should have scored the bicey.

You people are saying Pirlo as an individual footballer and as a complete midfielder is better than gerrard, oh really.

Just check out the individual honours section on Wiki ffs :L.

Sit down mate, Pirlo was good but the amount of love he's getting is unbelievable. It was an average MOTM performance, not to mention him losing the ball where Rooney should have scored the bicey.

You people are saying Pirlo as an individual footballer and as a complete midfielder is better than gerrard, oh really.

You're an idiot.

I'm going to stop because think I may have had too much Budweiser to be able to argue rationally here.

I don't care for team honours, I'm talking as an individual allround footballer, who is better.

I wonder how many of you would be saying this stuff if he'd had moved to Chelsski???

Ha.

If I were building a team, I'd want Pirlo before Gerrard. Though I think if you were to pick either you'd have to build the team around them as Gerrard needs deeper players to allow him a freer role and Pirlo plays better with 'protection' like De Rossi and Gattuso.

I'm going to stop because think I may have had too much Budweiser to be able to argue rationally here.

I wonder how many of you would be saying this stuff if he'd had moved to Chelsski???

No more needs to be said tbh.

People in Britain need to realise that attributes that our very players possess (i.e. Gerrard) are not the ones which wins these types of competitions and guys that run about a lot with their hearts on their sleeves aren't the attributes which should warrant PotY awards etc (i.e. Parker).

Until these things are realised teams from Britain will get nowhere

People in Britain need to realise that attributes that our very players possess (i.e. Gerrard) are not the ones which wins these types of competitions and guys that run about a lot with their hearts on their sleeves aren't the attributes which should warrant PotY awards etc (i.e. Parker).

Until these things are realised teams from Britain will get nowhere

Exactly my thoughts.

Gerrard at his peak was probably better than any other current player at winning a match in an instant.

I'd rather have the consistency shown by the likes of Alonso, Xavi, Scholes, Carrick, Lampard, Sneijder, Schweinstiger, and Pirlo though.

Gerrard is a more complete midfielder than Pirlo though right?

Thank you.

Gerrard is more of a complete midfielder than Xavi and Iniesta, yet I can bet you every manager in the world would rather have Xavi or Iniesta over Gerrard.

Your point?

That's really all I wanted.

Gerrard has it all, Pirlo has passing, and dribbling. That was my original point which I probably didn't stress well enough.

I still think Gerrard's a better player based on career. As Bellamy says I don't judge players on medals I base them on ability, talent and what I thought of them as players. Gerrard will be far above Pirlo in my list.

Having a discussion on facebook. Please don't get easily distracted by 1 penalty, not based on tonight I'm talking all career and on an INDIVIDUAL level.

Gerrard all day long for me, all-round box to box monster.

10/10 for trolling

Average MotM performance from Pirlo, seriously!

Pirlo's stats for tonight's game:

Passes 131

Pass % 87

Key passes 6

Accurate Crosses 4/8

Long balls 23/30

Shots on target 0/2

Turnovers 1

Tackles 3

Interceptions 5

You think that was average - He completely controlled and dominated the game for the full 2 hours! If it weren't for Italy's poor finishing, they would've - and should've - coasted this game.

Gerrard's performance

Passes 32

Pass % 75

Key passes 1

Accurate Crosses 0/5

Long balls 4/5

Shots on target 0/0

Turnovers 2

Tackles 5

Interceptions 4

Gerrard's a fine player and no one can question that he's been England's best player this tournament, but Pirlo showed what world-class means tonight.

It's all about players who complement each other within a team setup. Gerrard was at his best when he had Xabi Alonso feeding him passes from deep midfield, Mascherano holding, and Fernando Torres in front of him to play killer balls through to.

You can compare players against each other until the cows come home, but without the added value of team context it means absolutely nothing.

/Drunken post

Pirlo is much better at the moment. But I don't think over the course of their careers it should be the landslide victory that this poll will show.

Just their careers for the respective national teams can justify half of the landslide.

Pirlo redefined/reinvented a role, a role he wasn't even supposed to play (he wasted several seasons early in his career being played as trequartista) and was a key factor in AC Milan's success after almost a decade of oblivion.

Gerrard has been a key player for Liverpool, who happened to enjoy a brief (and unexpected) spell of European glory.

Frankly it's like comparing Zidane to Ballack

Archived