Gerrard vs Pirlo

bluebirds4life

Gerrard or Pirlo  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard or Pirlo

• Steven Gerrard (for Liverpool fans)
    • Andrea Pirlo (for everyone else)

Oh here we go, stats blah blah blah.

You I take it think Leon Britton's better than Xavi in that case yeh?

Still fairly average for me. If you think that was world class you need to watch more football mate :)

Obviously I don't think Britton is better than Xavi.:lol:

Gerrard is a match-winner but he can't control or orchestrate a game the way Pirlo did tonight and has done for most of his career. I guess I appreciate clever players in the mould of a Pirlo or a Scholes more than I do a Gerrard.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More like comparing Beckham and Le Tissier.

Nah...

Gerrard was indeed great at his peak, but even then he wasn't The Man. If anything because Liverpool were never an actual powerhouse (just compare the lineups of the two CL finals...) and because with England he always failed to perform to the same standard he did at LFC.

Much like Ballack, it was still better to have him playing for you rather than against you, but there's still that little extra missing to earn the World Class label.

Obviously I don't think Britton is better than Xavi.:lol:

Gerrard is a match-winner but he can't control or orchestrate a game the way Pirlo did tonight and has done for most of his career. I guess I appreciate clever players in the mould of a Pirlo or a Scholes, more than I do a Gerrard.

Yep, seems like what many think in fairness. I'm just a bit hipster and cheered on Chelsea in their CL win, seeing some's reaction here I hate to think what they though when Chelsea beat Barca, suprised they're still here posting.

I don't care for team honours, I'm talking as an individual allround footballer, who is better. .

And this is why the argument falls down totally.

You are comparing an all round midfielder to a player who is a deep lying playmaker.

You have set the goal posts where you want them for your own result. As an all round midfielder yeah Gerrard wins. Well done.

Gerrard isnt on the same level or anywhere near it though when you look at the players technically. Gerrard can run quicker and he is stronger and he can run more. Well done Gerrard, thats fantastic for the English league, but outside of it you look Joe Average because you cant pass the ball, keep possession, or unlock a defence unless its from a set piece.

But he can run faster! /o\

People deciding a whole career based on a penalty kick ffs.

Istanbul, Millenium Stadia etc should immediately make him better.

Expected so much better. Im talking career, individual and on a personal level.

Pirlo can't even defend or run ffs :D

you know pirlo has won the world cup and the cl twice right?

he was the man of the match in the semis as well as the final of the world cup run

the guy is a tremendous player, one of the best midfielders of the past couple of decades

but so is steven gerrard in fairness.

only cristiano ronaldo was a better attacking footballer in the league around 05-09, and he deserves his credit too.

hard call really but i went with pirlo just because of how stylish he is. in reality every top team would benefit build a team around either (as ac milan/italy certainly did with pirlo)

And this is why the argument falls down totally.

You are comparing an all round midfielder to a player who is a deep lying playmaker.

You have set the goal posts where you want them for your own result. As an all round midfielder yeah Gerrard wins. Well done.

Gerrard isnt on the same level or anywhere near it though when you look at the players technically. Gerrard can run quicker and he is stronger and he can run more. Well done Gerrard, thats fantastic for the English league, but outside of it you look Joe Average because you cant pass the ball, keep possession, or unlock a defence unless its from a set piece.

But he can run faster! /o\

Gerrard has unlocked more defences than you've had hot dinners, but as I said earlier it was with other players who could make it happen. England have never had good enough players or adventurous enough tactics/managers to be set up around Gerrard's strengths. Also having Rooney play in Gerrard's best position meant that Gerrard had to ply his international trade in positions that didn't use his best attributes. This had more of an effect that the redundant Gerrard/Lampard argument.

Gerrard doesnt have it all, he has had it at parts of his career. But he hasnt got it now.

Yes, now he can't be a box-to box engine that he once was but has had more assists than Pirlo this Euro's I think, and even now he still has more attributes e.e strength, tackling, crossing, aerial ability, defending in general.

Yes, now he can't be a box-to box engine that he once was but has had more assists than Pirlo this Euro's I think, and even now he still has more attributes e.e strength, tackling, crossing, aerial ability, defending in general.

Do yourself a favour and shut up.

stats mean nothing then you quote about him having more assists. You're a dullard. Give in.

Gerrard has unlocked more defences than you've had hot dinners,

yes he did, he doesnt now apart from set pieces.

Shadow of his former self, and people cant see past that when looking at him. Still a very very good player on the occassion he turns it on. But he doesnt do it on the big stage anymore does he?

Goals and assists are very simple proof of effective play. Stats that prove the best in football.

Other minor stats are ridiculous, stats that try to prove Britton's a better passer than Xavi.

Those stats regarding britton do not prove he is a better passer though, and to be totally honest ive never ever seen anyone argue that he is. People are not that stupid.

As i said, you have placed the goal posts very nicey to fit the questions you ask.

The fact is Pirlo just handed England their own backside. Gerrard was a passenger from 70 minutes onwards. The stats can say all they want assist wise. Pirlo and Italy won, people will remember that not 3 set piece assists.

the stats say Pirlo has won more at the top level than Gerrard has.

So he must be better, stats prove the best in football. You said it after all.

Pirlo probably couldn't survive outside the Serie A due to the high flowing tempo

This is a pretty poor point. Paul Scholes plays in the most 'high tempo league in the world' yet continues to run games in the same fashion as Pirlo.

As for the question, completely different players but Pirlo is infinitely more likeable. Always found Pirlo to be very underrated as well considering just how talented he is.

Pirlo probably couldn't survive outside the Serie A due to the high flowing tempo, Gerrard could play in most leagues across the globe and still be a powerhouse.

There are many to choose from, but I'd have to say this is probably my favourite post so far.

Op says pirlo can't run but tell me an england player that got near him yesterday?

Andy Carroll.

At the start Rooney I think was near him a lot, which is when England had their best time. After that, Pirlo ran the game until for about 5 minutes after coming on Carroll was running around near him.

Easy to kneejerk at the moment after yesterday's match, and I think Pirlo's quite comfortably aged better than Gerrard and is now clearly the better player. I would still back him on career-long comparisons though. They are two very different players with different roles, and Pirlo does bring tactical constraints to his team as he can only perform if aided by two robust centre midfielders. Gerrard was great at his peak though of course, and perhaps did have slightly more influence in Liverpool's Champions League than Pirlo in his two Milan Champions Leagues, but this is the second international tournament Pirlo has been absolutely outstanding for his national team, the first being World Cup 2006 which Italy won. Indeed I was very annoyed he didn't win the Player of the Tournament that year as he was superb for almost every game. Gerrard's never been anywhere near that great for England.

I think that award was decided before the final, or something silly like that.

Yeah, actually I remember Pirlo having a relatively poor game in the final other than taking the corner for Italy's goal.

I can't believe Pirlo's running away with this with such a huge margin!

Opinions aside, I definitely think people are wearing tinted glasses based on last night's match. No way this is 9:1-ish as the poll seems to suggest.

cant believe people are using last nights game as proof to how much better pirlo is than gerrard. its just as ridiculous to bring up 05 cl final.

didnt someone say in the studio that if u give gerrard that much time and space he'd run the show too?! he was right, he would. the problem is there isnt another manager on the planet that would allow that to happen...

both are obviously exceptional players but my pick will obv be cast off as bias so i wont bother.

cant believe people are using last nights game as proof to how much better pirlo is than gerrard. its just as ridiculous to bring up 05 cl final.

didnt someone say in the studio that if u give gerrard that much time and space he'd run the show too?! he was right, he would. the problem is there isnt another manager on the planet that would allow that to happen...

both are obviously exceptional players but my pick will obv be cast off as bias so i wont bother.

No way Gerrard would've been able to dictate play from deep the way Pirlo did yesterday. But again, different kinds of players both of them.

Nah...

Gerrard was indeed great at his peak, but even then he wasn't The Man. If anything because Liverpool were never an actual powerhouse (just compare the lineups of the two CL finals...) and because with England he always failed to perform to the same standard he did at LFC.

Much like Ballack, it was still better to have him playing for you rather than against you, but there's still that little extra missing to earn the World Class label.

You don't think at his peak Gerrard was world class :confused:

I know people on this forum argue a lot about the "world class" label. But seriously?

Didn't lazy old man Pirlo cover more ground than any England player last night while box to box powerhouse Gerrard was on the ground suffering from cramp?

Probably did it by walking very fast for 120 minutes straight? He covered more ground than any English player according to UEFA at least. What was it, 70 minutes before Gerrard was lying on the floor with cramps? :D

Pirlo all day long. Only had to compare their performances in that match, despite a slow start Pirlo ran the whole show for Italy while Gerard struggled to make an impact... Much like Lampard Gerard has found it difficult to adapt his game now he has lost some pace and power. In his pomp he was epic for Liverpool but has declined alot over the years, where as Pirlo is one of those rare players who has got better with age like Zola and Drogba. Without his dynamic runs (which are rare now) hes just an above average CM who can do a damn good cross... Hes like a bulky Beckham whos not as good at free kicks :D

Pirlo is definitely worse than he was a few years ago tbf but it gives you an idea of how incredible he was at his peak. It's just that nobody in the UK bothered to take any notice until now.

How would we have taken any notice of him? Italian football isn't shown, he isn't a top goalscorer that makes it in to the media headlines, the only way anyone would see anything of him would be in the odd Champions League game.

Well he's had three Champions League finals - could have noticed him then. Or the World Cup in 2006 where he was one of the best players in the tournament.

2 of those Champions League finals he wasn't very noticeable, I didn't see the third and I bet most people didn't either.

And again when it comes to international competitions most people in the country don't watch all the matches, most will stick to just watching the England matches and maybe the highlights of the others.

Archived