Brazilian Names

Just a bit of a curiosity- I wondered if many people had looked much into the nicknames assigned to Brazilian players, when called upon to do so (regens etc.)?

Whilst a lot of them are simply parts of their full name, some of the ones which are actually nicknames seem bizarre, to say the least- Jaguar, I can understand as a compliment, but Alligator (Jacare), Bife (Steak) or Limpet (Lapa)? I'm not suggesting this is inaccurate, I have no real clue how Brazilian players choose their playing names, it just amused me to find this out.

Incidentally, the Brazilian player which led me onto the path of looking some of these up was a single-Nationality Brazilian, born in Brazil but playing in Canada, nicknamed "Jacare", whose real name is... uhm... "Jerry Garritt". Indeed.

It must be a pretty random selection. I always take a look at the "information" screen if I see a South American with a cool/unusual nickname. Most of them have nothing to do with the actual birth name, as you mentioned. On occasions I'll find that the birth name is actually more appealing, and I'll nickname the player thus.

I've always wondered... does the "regional nickname" reflect NEWGENS' actual birthplace?

Ie. is Dudu Cearense from Ceará state or was he born elsewhere and the nickname was assigned randomly by the game?

If you want to see what your own Brazilian name would be, check this out!

http://www.minimalsworld.net/BrazilName/brazilian.shtml

Haha that's quality! my Brazilian name is Hayauro!

There seems to be a lot of over-represented Brazilian names in my game, the pick of the bunch being Carazinho, a regen who I signed, but seriously since signing him I've noticed loads of players with the same name. His name must be like a cultural phenomenom or something :lol:

Jaguaré and Jacaré (and Lapa) appear to be over-represented, as there are tons of them in my game. There are 31 Jacaré, 18 Jaguaré and 19 Lapa in my game.

Only 1 Ronaldo and only 1 Lincoln, for example. 7 Buick, 10 Fuska, 17 Fusca.

This I have noticed also. It is quite off putting to be honest.

I've always wondered... does the "regional nickname" reflect NEWGENS' actual birthplace?

Ie. is Dudu Cearense from Ceará state or was he born elsewhere and the nickname was assigned randomly by the game?

That's a good question.

Also, I get to be "Martimo". Not to be confused with CS Maritimo, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Jacare is not that bizarre. There is a famous Brazilian mma fighter with that name who fights in Strikeforce. I wouldn't consider alligator as a bad nickname, it's kind of cool and tough. Better for mma though because you can grasp onto a person like an alligator and roll them/submit them with alligator-like moves.

edit: Sorry for randomly bumping thread, I was redirected from http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/300412-Overuse-of-regens-newgens-nicknames?

Jacare is not that bizarre. There is a famous Brazilian mma fighter with that name who fights in Strikeforce.

That's interesting, because Googling Xaropinho also brings up an MMA fighter who uses that as a nickname. And a mouse puppet wearing a tie. Hmm.

What really bothers me about this is why, when it appears there's no real regulation for how the names are allocated / selected / chosen, no-one thought to tell Rafael Felipe Scheidt that the pronunciation of his surname may cause some issues....;)

And on a side note; The dutch pronounce their V's as F's ... so van der Vaart would be ...

Maybe that's why he didn't take the opportunity a few years back, when some Premier League clubs was after him. He went to Hamburg instead. Lucky for him though, all the english commentators haven't a clue about his true pronounciation ... yet.

Well, Jacaré was a dancer in a pagode group (É o Tchan!) who was really popular in the mid 90's here in Brazil, then suddenly every black guy was being called "Jacaré", you know, like how people make dumb jokes calling every asian Jackie Chan or something.

Lapa is a neighborhood in Rio, quite famous for it's historical monuments and nightlife. Also a neighborhood in São Paulo.

There's the "inhos" and "ãos". For instance, Ronaldinho would be little Ronaldo and Ronaldão would be big Ronaldo.

Jaguaré is also a district in São Paulo and there is a city with the same name in Espírito Santo.

Cará is a tubercle, also know as inhame, no clue why anyone would want that nickname.

Just some detail to those who want to know the meanings of the nicknames, in reality I rarely see those being used, and I agree that they are overused in FM.

I'm from Brazil and I don't know where did SI came up with this ridiculous nicknames. I don't know of any players here nicknamed "Carazinho", "Jaguaré", "Lapa", "Fusca", "Xaropinho", etc (I have never heard of anyone with these nicknames tbh). They are uncommom to say the least. And there are hundreds of regens in the game with these nicknames, so that needs to be tuned.

I am also Brazilian and fully agree with the two previous posters, these nicknames are extremely uncommon to say the least. Would much rather have more diminutives and augmentatives used, as well as composed names (don't know if that is the right term), like Luiz Adriano, Marco Antônio, Fábio Santos etc.

In my Borrusia Dortmund save I have 3 brazilians in my first team, Carazinho, Lapa and Jefferson. I played a league game agains Freiburg last night and their team also had Jefferson and Carazinho in the starting XI and a Jefferson on the bench!

Archived