Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

4 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Is there a bug with manager ratings from board expectations ?

It went to the wire with celtic for the league, i finished with 96 points to their 99 and was only ever a point or 2 behind yet all season the board were angry that I was so far behind. Also got an E rating despite finishing with 96 points, reaching 2 finals and last 16 of teh Europa

I think the board stuff has been a bit like that for a few FMs now. Even if you do something crazy (like an unlikely promotion) they forget about it right away or don't look at it in context. You might need to get to the 5th round of the cup but get beaten by say, Liverpool (assuming you are a low end prem or champ level team) and they are still unhappy because you missed the expectation despite it being an unlucky draw.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, I wonder if part of it is because of the No-Nonsense Centerbacks you're using.  They might be clearing so many balls straight upfield that your progressive midfield is being bypassed.  Additionally, the DLP might be putting passes in behind opposition fullbacks for the wingers because that's the best passing option that complies with the More Risky Passes instruction it has by default and Pass Into Space. 

23 minutes ago, glosoli said:

Latest ME is better than the previous ME for my tactic (which heavily relies on overlaps and wing plays). However, it killed the efficiency of my AMC. I was having a blast with my 4-2-3-1 during he beta but not so much now. Anyone knows a way to return to the beta ME? I really can accept 5 penalties each match rather than seeing the same type of goals over and over again with the current ME.

I normally play a 4-2DM-3-1, and I've dropped the AMC to a MC with a very attacking role, duty and instruction.  It seems to help a little with that particular player and getting him involved in the final third.  I'm not sure it's the best option for the team, exactly, as he might be too deep to contribute in counterattacks and I don't like the role he has very much.

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

@Johnny Ace

A classical example. Unfortunatelly I not found a switch for English translation, but оборонительный = defensive. And I have no idea why defensive mentality team from 12st place vs my 1st place (balanced) use so high DL. Or better to say why ALL settings of DL in fact play high.

In logic they need to rollback and wait my team for hard tackling and counter attack. But there are few second before LOOOOONG passing and 1 on 1 again

The most sad thing I tried to focus attention on this isse in November. And I analyzed IRL teams and yes, low teams use high DL for compact too, but they regroup when opposite team start attack. Maybe this team want to play counter? But why defensive? And there are no counter, just stay higher and watch how I use spacetrap which actually I dont ask to use

Exactly, doesn't seem right does it? I've reported so I hope the devs either clear it up or fix it 

There's a bunch of wonky stuff in the ME I see but they're not that often & I can't be bothered reporting them, like the multi-slide tackle. I've seen it, I've seen Youtuber's laugh at it but it's like a once in 20 games thing where a player slide tackles 3 or 4 times on the trot 

Happens there at 3:50 

15 minutes ago, Scott Jackson said:

I'll post my tactic and profile snippets here as an example. I'd report it as a bug but I don't know how the game works it out so I don't know if it's a bug or a reflection of something lese in the game.

Profile.thumb.PNG.7e978ab95ba71b86deed68e612524f28.PNGTactic.thumb.PNG.44217e021c73575c1992d063e275f1cd.PNG

High tempo pressing? Where's it picking that up from? :idiot:Worth reporting I'd say 

5 minutes ago, Scott Jackson said:

I think the board stuff has been a bit like that for a few FMs now. Even if you do something crazy (like an unlikely promotion) they forget about it right away or don't look at it in context. You might need to get to the 5th round of the cup but get beaten by say, Liverpool (assuming you are a low end prem or champ level team) and they are still unhappy because you missed the expectation despite it being an unlucky draw.

Forgetting to an extent about a promotion is the harsh reality for most managers when boards want their club to stay in the division, but the assumption board care deeply about whether you reach the fourth or fifth round of the FA Cup is obviously nonsense.

21 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Is there a bug with manager ratings from board expectations ?

It went to the wire with celtic for the league, i finished with 96 points to their 99 and was only ever a point or 2 behind yet all season the board were angry that I was so far behind. Also got an E rating despite finishing with 96 points, reaching 2 finals and last 16 of teh Europa

I won a league with a team predicted to come 10th with an F rating for my matches 

6 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Headers going over the bar is like the penalties being taken low thing.  Each one is defensible.  It's just the mass of them that's maybe off.

Yeah, it'll take some effort to report but it definitely happens more than it should 

14 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, it'll take some effort to report but it definitely happens more than it should 

If you open a thread, I'll add a PKM or two to it tonight.  I think the best we can do is going to be supply a mass of instances and asking SI to find the commonalities.  I've already got spreadsheets for clear-day 1v1s and penalties; another sheet for free headers isn't gonna kill me.

And I think we should restrict it to free headers rather than contested ones to limit the sample size and decrease the potential causes.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

Just now, Sunstrikuuu said:

If you open a thread, I'll add a PKM or two to it tonight.  I think the best we can do is going to be supply a mass of instances and asking SI to find the commonalities.

I'm playing FM15 right now but I'll jump on in an hour or so :D

In my fourth season with Man City in the Premier League, my thoughts on the game so far. Absolutely loving the Cub Vision feature, which keeps me focused and stops me losing my way or going off on a tangent...it is a great addition. Another thing I'm absolutely loving is the playing time pathway - without realising it I am now wheedling out players that are not good enough and giving opportunities to promising talent, who are actually getting the desired playing time to make them improve. Plus I have to adhere to my contract promises because if I don't give them the time I've said then cue the unrest in the dressing room! Four seasons in and not bored.

The ME is good this year (puts on crash helmet) for me at any rate. I feel my tactics make a difference (which is important) and apart from a few ME anomalies (1 on 1's for example) I think it plays well enough and looks good as an in-match experience. Let's face it, no ME can satisfactorily replicate a 'real' game of football but it's close enough for me.

One thing you've all got to watch out for in 2022 is the Qatar World Cup. Whoah!! Just got to early November and then suddenly - my next Premier League game is 37 days away and all my players have buggered off :) Never really thought about the impact of Qatar before but it makes that 2022 season very interesting indeed. 

Really loving FM 2020 for what my tuppence is worth. Feels like it has 'longevity' for the first time in years and for that I applaud SI...can see me playing this version for a long long time...unless of course I get sacked by City and then my toys really will come out of the pram :lol:

1 hour ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Scott, I wonder if part of it is because of the No-Nonsense Centerbacks you're using.  They might be clearing so many balls straight upfield that your progressive midfield is being bypassed.  Additionally, the DLP might be putting passes in behind opposition fullbacks for the wingers because that's the best passing option that complies with the More Risky Passes instruction it has by default and Pass Into Space. 

I normally play a 4-2DM-3-1, and I've dropped the AMC to a MC with a very attacking role, duty and instruction.  It seems to help a little with that particular player and getting him involved in the final third.  I'm not sure it's the best option for the team, exactly, as he might be too deep to contribute in counterattacks and I don't like the role he has very much.

This is an interesting suggestion and I'll look into it a bit more with some tactical tweeks!

I did sign a Ball playing centre back but my keeper seems to prefer to distribute the ball to the No nonsense CB! From watching the games the NCB seems to punt it up to about the middle of the park most often when playing it long and my DLP is hitting all sorts of passes but nearly all long over the top rather than through. Most of my goals are scored by my AMC who runs through onto the balls the DLP plays! I might have to have another look at the players instructions and see if that changes any of their behaviour. The wierd bit is really that there is plenty of neat passing but its all around the centre circle, it mostly goes forward with the longer balls.

Just now, Scott Jackson said:

This is an interesting suggestion and I'll look into it a bit more with some tactical tweeks!

I did sign a Ball playing centre back but my keeper seems to prefer to distribute the ball to the No nonsense CB! From watching the games the NCB seems to punt it up to about the middle of the park most often when playing it long and my DLP is hitting all sorts of passes but nearly all long over the top rather than through. Most of my goals are scored by my AMC who runs through onto the balls the DLP plays! I might have to have another look at the players instructions and see if that changes any of their behaviour. The wierd bit is really that there is plenty of neat passing but its all around the centre circle, it mostly goes forward with the longer balls.

I play two BPDs, and yeah, I have a lot of balls over the top.  But most of my distribution goes to the two DMs since they're so close to goal, and they start passing moves, usually with diagonals out to the fullbacks.  What kind of stats, PPMs and instructions do you have for the AMC?  I'm using an APa in central midfield since I didn't feel like I could get my AMC working well. 

8 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

I play two BPDs, and yeah, I have a lot of balls over the top.  But most of my distribution goes to the two DMs since they're so close to goal, and they start passing moves, usually with diagonals out to the fullbacks.  What kind of stats, PPMs and instructions do you have for the AMC?  I'm using an APa in central midfield since I didn't feel like I could get my AMC working well. 

I have him set as a Trequartista and essentially as attacking as possible, he makes a lot of forward runs and runs off the striker a lot too. The bad side is my strikers seem to struggle with goals!

Instructions.thumb.PNG.8eff3befe5206552100c5b26d3b86ec5.PNG

1 minute ago, Scott Jackson said:

I have him set as a Trequartista and essentially as attacking as possible, he makes a lot of forward runs and runs off the striker a lot too. The bad side is my strikers seem to struggle with goals!

Nifty, thanks.  I'll give that a go and see if I can get him connected with my midfield, which is a lot deeper than yours.

4 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Nifty, thanks.  I'll give that a go and see if I can get him connected with my midfield, which is a lot deeper than yours.

Cool, I hope it works! I also have only the AMC and Striker on attack, I have the wingers on to do less shooting, more crossing etc which helps to focus my play through the middle (which is where my team is strongest) and that probably helps too!

Just now, Scott Jackson said:

Cool, I hope it works! I also have only the AMC and Striker on attack, I have the wingers on to do less shooting, more crossing etc which helps to focus my play through the middle (which is where my team is strongest) and that probably helps too!

Yeah, I have an IWa that takes up that space, and he's been pretty important so far.  Not playing well this season, so maybe I drop him for a while...  Decisions, decisions!

4 hours ago, Novem9 said:

Well FM19 selled by 2mln+ copies. How many FM20 sales already? 1mln? So 46k = 4,6%. 500k sales? 9,2%. Not a big count even for Monday

Do we have alternative in this niche? This is answer why people still play even they dont really enjoy this right now

Exactly this. People want to play it because it’s the only viable football management option, but it does seem to be a poor ME at the moment with some (near) game breakers for people who want realistic football at an elite level.

11 minutes ago, champion067 said:

Noticed this while being offered a new contract. What is it? Like board requests can be part of a deal or something?

szerzodes.png

Yes - you can, if you have a high reputation for the job, ask that the board make promises to you in the same way that you make promises to players before contract negotiation. 

I am getting more and more bored of watching keepers save 1 Vs 1's.

I don't expect my players to score every 1 Vs 1. However, I also do not expect to see the opposition keeper save so many. I would find it a lot more realistic if I actually saw a player try to roll one around a goalie and roll it the other side of the post too. With the keepers saving so many 1 Vs 1's I feel it also artificially inflates the keepers ratings which in turn impacts on other facets of the ME and thus cumulatively creating a more and more unrealistic representation of football.

There are a large number of CCC's created in the ME at the moment and I understand these can't all result in goals but the games apparent efforts to minimise otherworldly scores appears to be shown in the ME in ways that do not appear realistic.

Some other points;

There seem to be a lot more back passes which are poor and intercepted.

Dribbling also seems very overpowered. Regularly seeing either fullbacks or wingers dribbling the length of the pitch.

I say all this but I really am enjoying the game. These points are born out of frustration just because I want the game to deliver on its potential

5 hours ago, emil_sbn said:

I think he means that if you click on your manager profile you can see different bars for stuff you tend to do like media handling and also preferred style of play. It says route one on mine to btw but I have pass into space ticked so maybe it makes sense?

Mine is set as "Route One" too which is weird, because elsewhere on my profile it says I am known for "preferring a possession based style of play".

Instructions in my primary tactic are "Play out of defence", "Work ball into box", shorter passing directness, lower tempo. "Pass into space" is not ticked. Hell, I even changed both centre backs from BPD (which they were originally) to normal CD with "Take fewer risks" on their passing to stop them whacking those long balls up field.

I've got the best average possession in the division (59%) and the best passing accuracy (85%). I have completed over 1,000 passes more than the next highest team despite playing one less game than them. My board and fans are both listed as "very happy to see a high to see a high-quality level of passing" and also "Very happy with the possession football being played and can see it running through the team."

This is my first season on this save and I have been using the same tactic throughout (currently 35 games in).

Seems like the description might be bugged? Not a major issue to be fair, doubt I would ever even have looked at that screen if I hadn't seen the posts in here!

Finally got my team to defend set pieces which is nice, but the ME just isn't fun. It feels like it's so easy to create good chances so the ME has to make the conversion rate on these so low to keep scores realistic, but it means there's no point in trying to play normal football and actually get your strikers in behind the defence or get a winger down the channel where they have an easy square pass on, because it just doesn't let you score from them.

It's not bad enough to say it's broken, but it's just not fun to play.

I am having mixed feelings about this game. I am winning games (won the treble 1/2 last season: Serie A, Coppa Italia, Supercoppa Italia, Champions League) but I am not really enjoying this game. Yes its not broken to the degree many here say it is. It is certainly beatable but the ME events are so unrealistic and ridiculous that isn't fun I and will probably drop it until an update.

That the post-game scorelines are somewhat realistic does not make up for the experience of watching my team create 30 chances and win 2-1, you know, the actual gameplay.

As far as many of the notorious issues go:

Crossing instead of finishing: not having this issue, my players are crossing/ cutting back at appropriate times. no problems

wingbacks being OP: no issue here either.

penalties: no issue, regular amount of penalties and most are scored

balls over the top: Incredibly frustrating. I play a shorter passing game so I am not getting many myself but the opposition is constantly launching balls over the top with a ridiculous degree of accuracy. And i'm not talking Leo Bonucci but from some freaking mediocre CB i've  never heard of plays a perfect 50+ yard pass and while my defenders? No idea what the hell they are doing but they certainly aren't playing an offside trap or tracking back.

one on ones: total disaster. When i get a one on one I curse the missed chance before the shot is even taken.

backpasses: I do play a shorter passing game so i understand not every pass will be forward but, far too frequently, an attack is building and one of my attackers backpasses straight to an opposition player causing a counter attack. I am playing with a world class team. These aren't scrubs and, no, my players are not far apart.

Headers at close range: comical. Every game CR7 gets 5-7 headers either from set pieces or crosses and all go 5 feet over the bar. Before someone retorts with "well that happens in real football" CR7 is possibly the deadliest attacker in the air, in the modern game. He should be at least somewhat decent at this.

oh and check out the bug thread I just recently made. hilarious that competitive club fixtures are ruined mid season because the computer has scheduled pointless international friendlies in March, on the same day. I understand that the ME is very complex, it isn't easy to fix the above issues without potentially creating more, but come on. The scheduling of pointless International friendlies during competitive club games is something that should've been stamped out several versions ago.

Edited by Mantis Toboggan

6 hours ago, Scott Jackson said:

So I made some tactical changes to mess with a few ideas in tandem:

3-4-1-2.thumb.png.637350295bd21ccdf3db28ba4fe23ed3.png

In two games, Fernandes has scored four goals, and while this is close to my first XI, I have upgrades available at the CF and both midfield positions.  One of the goals he scored was this one. 

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

15 hours ago, herne79 said:

Here's an idea - how about giving and discussing feedback about the game (the whole purpose of this thread) instead of bitching about people in the thread?  It really is tiresome.

If you have an issue with somebody or a post that someone makes, hit the report button in the top right corner and tell the Moderating team what's up so that we can review and action (if required).  Then just ignore it and get on with giving feedback.

Or simply use the ignore feature - put someone on ignore and you'll never hear from them again.

tbh anything is better than all these silly digs.

And if anyone feels the need to reply to this either PM me or don't bother as it'll just clog the thread up even more and your post will be removed.

I'm reposting this because some people are ignoring it, having their posts removed and (in some cases) bans are being handed out.

If you want to insult people there are consequences for doing so.  Feedback about the game as much as you like but hurl insults at people and you run the risk of not being able to post for a while.  You'll only have yourself to blame if that happens.

5 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

May I ask what's happened to the bugs forum? Around 14 thousand posts seem to have disappeared from it. I'm a little concerned some of my old bug reports may have been removed.

We will try and find out what is happening.

9 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

May I ask what's happened to the bugs forum? Around 14 thousand posts seem to have disappeared from it. I'm a little concerned some of my old bug reports may have been removed.

The one entitled Football Manager 2020 Bugs Forum? I can still see it ?!?!

10 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

I have had a quick look and cant see what the issue is- can you give some more details please.

3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I have had a quick look and cant see what the issue is- can you give some more details please.

Capture.thumb.PNG.6afe071e47e5ed408c8e32cede261d15.PNG

Yesterday morning this forum contained 29 thousand posts, it now contains 16 thousand. I was just curious what's happened as I'd like to think all my bug reports are still in there.

7 минут назад, FrazT сказал:

He asked about subforum of FM20 pre-release bug forum. As I remember this subforums becomes hidden for members after FM released

upd - sorry, or not about this :) 

Edited by Novem9

18 hours ago, Novem9 said:

especially since its not unique for Steam, Paradox's Stellaris available to choose version for example:

236749812_Image1.png.1994f848c3a7d69f78f3cca9b94db952.png

Its one of my favourite game where I'm agree with all new features, but some players dont and they could choose their favourite version

amen! the only way is actually saving the whole FM into another folder (after each and every update) this way you can replace every file and you can even play the BETA that is what I did in previous fm's.

Edited by penza