dafuge's FM20 challenge

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried a few clubs in FM20 and nothing is sticking, so here I am managing....

....Redditch, Of course.

Signed a few crackers already. Gonna walk this league I reckon (famous last words). Pace and Space is the plan at this level. Pacey players all over the pitch, every position, and play the ball direct into space to exploit the slow semi-professional defences.

Edited by SuperRedditch

<reserved for uploading holiday saves>

Okay, here is an initial batch for those that don't want to worry about the holiday season.   I'll continue to add to this list of saves up thru release+ 1 week or so...there are 88 teams available for the challenge, and I hope to find a  Poole, King's s Lat least 60 of them.

This first batch is from the BETA version of FM 20, was loaded with 17 leagues in 5 nations (all of UK&I + Euro Top Div/Intl players), and has about 55K players in the database.  (Numbers in parentheses at end of line is my attempt to keep track of number of distinct teams I've found to that point).  Teams are listed in bold if it is the first time they appear on this list

Save 1:  Gosport, Barwell, Hendon, Kingstonian, Bognor Regis, Nuneaton Boro, South Shields, Warrington, Stalybridge (8)
Save 3:  Salisbury, Gosport, Tamworth, Kingstonian, Haringey, Truro, Matlock, Nuneaton Boro, Whitby (14)
Save 4:  Salisbury, Truro, Stourbridge, Chesham, Hendon, Nuneaton Boro, Hyde, Ashton Utd, Bognor Regis (18)
Save 5:  Truro, Kingstonian, Hendon, Hitchin, Gosport, Nuneaton Boro, Matlock, Warrington, Enfield Town (20)
Save 6:  Poole, Tamworth, FC United, Chesham, Warrington, Nuneaton Boro, Gosport, South Shields, Bognor Regis (22)

This following batch is BETA FM20, loaded with 59 Leagues/20 Nations (Western Europe/Scandinavia) and has an 85K player database:

Save 7:  Weston-super-Mare, Tamworth, East Thurrock, Chesham, Haringey, Nuneaton Boro, Warrington, FC United, Stafford (25)

Save 8:  Hendon, Stourbridge, Chesham, East Thurrock, Buxton, Nuneaton Boro, Bognor Regis, Warrington, Folkestone (27)

Save 9:  Merthyr, Lowestoft, Farnorough, Kingstonian, Tamworth, Nuneaton Boro, Hednesford, FC United, Hendon (31)

Save 10: Salisbury, Merthyr, Stourbridge, Hednesford, Kingstonian, Bishop's Stortford, FC United, Nantwich, Lowestoft (33)

Next batch has a massive 125K players loaded, with 62 leagues, 22 nations, and ALL international and top-division players worldwide.

Save 11: Salisbury, Stourbridge, Hednesford, Gosport, Farnorough, Poole, Matlock, FC United, Scarborough Athletic (34)

Save 12: Truro, Hednesford, East Thurrock, Hornchurch, Nuneaton Boro, Scarborough Athletic, FC United, Gospor  Poole, King's st (35)

Save 13: Truro, Merthyr, Lowestoft, Stourbridge, Kingstonian, Chesham, Warrington, Basford, Gosport (36)

This following batch is FM20, loaded with 59 Leagues/20 Nations (Western Europe/Scandinavia) and has an 85K player database:

(saves posted w/ no link will be uploaded shortly)

SaveRel1:  Chesham, Redditch, Hendon, Kingstonian, Stalybridge, Nuneaton Boro, Gainsborough, Warrington, Stafford (38)

SaveRel2:  Weston-super-Mare, Gosport, Lowestoft, Carshalton, East Thurrock, Nuneaton Boro, Scarborough Athletic, FC Utd, Buxton (39)

SaveRel3:  Poole, Lowestoft, Margate, Chesham, Hitchin, South Shields, Basford, Witton, Lewes (41)

SaveRel4:  Weston-super-Mare, Merthyr, St. Ives, Carshalton, Haringey, Nuneaton Boro, Grantham, Ashton Utd, Warrington (43)

SaveRel5Tiverton, Tamworth, FC United, East Thurrock, Farnborough, Nuneaton Boro, Buxton, Stalybridge, Hornchurch (44)

SaveRel6:  Salisbury, Leiston, Biggleswade Town, Merthyr, Chesham, Gosport, Haringey, FC United, Met. Police (45)

The following is FM20 Release database, UK&I leagues only (about 20K player database)

SaveUKI1:  Met Police, Lowestoft, Hednesford, Gainsborough, Farnborough, FC United, East Thurrock, Grantham, Stalybridge (46)

SaveUKI2:  Poole, Kings Langley, Hyde, Hendon, Whitby, Nuneaton Boro, East Thurrock, FC United, Witton (47)

SaveUKI3:  Poole, Biggleswade Town, Hyde, Farnborough, Ashton Utd, Nuneaton Boro, FC United, South Shields, Whitby (48)

SaveUKI4:  Merthyr, Stourbridge, Buxton, Chesham, Basford, Nuneaton Boro, Leatherhead, Hyde, Bognor Regis (49)

SaveUKI5Dorchester, Tamworth, FC United, Kingstonian, Hendon, Nuneaton Boro, East Thurrock, Hyde, Lowestoft (50)

SaveUKI6:  Truro, Met Police, Lowestoft, Stourbridge, Kingstonian, Haringey, Ashton Utd, Buxton, Grantham 

Save UKI7:  Salsibury, Hitchin, Rushall, Chesham, Hendon, Hornchurch, Gosport, FC United, Enfield Town (51)

Save UKI8:  Truro, Salisbury, Lowestoft, Royston, Kingstonian, Hornchurch, Gainsborough, Ashton Utd, Gosport (52)

Save UKI9:  Dorchester, Redditch, Buxton, Farnborough, Hyde, Nuneaton Boro, Mickleover, Grantham, Stafford (53)

Next batch has a massive 125K players loaded, with 62 leagues, 22 nations, and ALL international and top-division players worldwide.  Saves are from the release version.

SaveRelLg1:  Truro, Merthyr, Hednesford, Margate, Farnborough, Salisbury, Weston-Super-Mare, Nuneaton Boro, Buxton (54)

SaveRelLg2:  Salisbury, Truro, Stourbridge, Needham Market, Enfield Town, Worthing, FC United, Grantham, Matlock (56)

45 minutes ago, darius9 said:

Hey, Dafuge, i think we should save at least on 30th of may, I saves the game on 31ist and always get the same teams on June 24th.

Did you holiday to the 31st or proceed to it by continuing?

The 31st worked for me when I tested it out but I’ll change it just in case.

2 minutes ago, dafuge said:

Did you holiday to the 31st or proceed to it by continuing?

The 31st worked for me when I tested it out but I’ll change it just in case.

I was quite amazed, i did not proceed. I saved the game on 31ist 0:00 but the game was already decided for me. But hey, for safety we should save on 30th, since we're holidaying anyway after that.

I'm going to give this a go with the place I often went on holiday when I was a kid. Bognor Regis Town FC. I also picked them because they have no manager at the start of 20-21.

1700573627_NidRikson_Profile.thumb.png.a12cad2b6eb79395d7647de8afcc838a.png

Up The Rocks!

I'm a slow player, so we'll see how far this goes.

14 minutes ago, deadfncat said:

This game reminding me how terrible I am at tactics :D

Any ideas on what to focus on for low level crap players?

Just the basics. Pace and long balls; strength and a robust midfield. The simplest formations are often the best at this level.

I'm going for a counter attacking formation with IF and a PF up front. In midfield I have the basics of a box to box and central midfield, and an anchor man to support the defence should the fullbacks get a chance to get forward. I wouldn't mind a DLF or a TM, but I'm a little short on strikers.

Against the better teams I can just sit back and frustrate whilst ping balls forward to pacey wide men. If I'm hopeful of a win I can let the midfield be more attacking.

A strong TM will be a very good asset at this level.

8 minutes ago, QuincyOwusu-Abeyie said:

I can't download any of those save games. Anyone else have the problem?

Also, what are the chances of Wingate and Finchley appearing?

Hmm...not sure what's up, but I'll look into it.

13 minutes ago, QuincyOwusu-Abeyie said:

I can't download any of those save games. Anyone else have the problem?

Also, what are the chances of Wingate and Finchley appearing?

Yep...I see.  Just a hunch, but I bet daylight savings time just hit us and caught computers changing their on-board clocks.

PSA: Players on Non-Contracts with an appearance bonus take up your wage allowance but the game doesn't take it into consideration when you are offering contracts. I was 2k over my wage budget when I was sacked, but still had over 1k that I could use in negotiations. I don't know if this is a bug or intended,

Going to do this for the 4th consecutive year and 8th overall!!!

This time I am going to go for FC United though they have rep on the higher side, I cannot not play them as it will make an interesting story when they are in same league as Man Utd!!

Will start on full release.

Giving this a go with St. Ives.

In light of FM20 seemingly focusing on the long term, I'll be trying to do this in combination with the youth academy challenge. I have a tendency to not finish these challenges, so maybe a slower-burn club-culture-building approach will be a better fit. 

I'm going to give this a shot as well, thanks for the new thread for FM20!

Rather than assigning myself to a newly promoted team, I'm going to create a manager with those starting characteristics, run the save until June, then apply for jobs at the newly promoted teams. I tested this with the beta version and four of the new teams that came up had manager vacancies. I was able to get job offers from three of them even though I was Sunday League/no badges/no experience. For me, that'll create a bit more of an edge to the start, not knowing where I might begin.

I am going to start on the 19th/20th, with the full release.

Really looking forward to this!

Has anyone on this thread noticed any teams with very good facilities which seem like a bug. I ask as i noticed that Lowestoft has variable youth coaching and recruitment (maybe 0 in the database) but in one came out with excellent youth coaching and recruitment. - the same as liverpool!

image.thumb.png.55ccf279fa3a119d87ad74b8dfe9ba75.png

Edited by Thebaker

Making a preliminary start (at least unless/until I find someone more intriguing).  I lived just about 30 miles from Needham market in the late 80's and 90's, so I've decided to give them a go.  Meet the new manager of The Marketmen 

67F35337091573341268D545238502765B109440 (2560×1417)

Alright I'm starting this again. And like last year I'm doing this at the same time I'm doing the youth only challenge.

I've taken over Stratford Town, wish me luck!

XMXdFbo.png

I'm another one going for Merthyr, as they are fairly local and I've been to see them a good few times.

If I can produce a Welsh international in the future then I'll be a happy manager!

image.thumb.png.f4084a6443921f32b54093c878a1a9d9.png

48 minutes ago, deadfncat said:

anyone else drive their club into the ground financially? I cant remember how I used to do all this :D 2nd season after barely surviving last year and we are already 230k in the red

I'm guessing you have really poor attendances, last year i did this with Worthing and was never in financial trouble but then they averaged 700 in the first season. The number of home fans makes a huge difference at that level.

40 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

I'm guessing you have really poor attendances, last year i did this with Worthing and was never in financial trouble but then they averaged 700 in the first season. The number of home fans makes a huge difference at that level.

haha sure do. 200-300 every game

Bigger problem for me at the moment is signing players. This dude is well within the wage budget and is a free transfer. isnt signed with any club at the moment, but after i send a reasonable offer, the board rejects it

image.thumb.png.f2f43a2217dccdce1964475760bd2def.png

image.thumb.png.c8815f5383f379b8c5da5057af14e503.png

this is a bug surely?

Edited by deadfncat

I tried this challenge last year because i was fascinated with the big amount of players you could and should get on trial and start signing them so u can create a good team.

I think it's safe to start on the beta if we go for Dafuge or Youth only challenge ? because errors in the database won't matter that much when u start lower league ?

5 hours ago, deadfncat said:

haha sure do. 200-300 every game

Bigger problem for me at the moment is signing players. This dude is well within the wage budget and is a free transfer. isnt signed with any club at the moment, but after i send a reasonable offer, the board rejects it

(snip)

this is a bug surely?

That does seem like a bug, unless it's the 190 appearance fee that's calculated in to the wage limit? The appearance fee seems on the high end, but yeah, it doesn't seem like something the board should be worried about. Maybe worth reporting?

Speaking of Josh Kelly, I signed him this year on my current Hampton & Richmond team in FM19, in 2024 now. He's had a decent year for us in the Vanarama South, second in the team in scoring, mostly from an inside forward position in a 4-2-4.

6 hours ago, deadfncat said:

this is a bug surely?

On 03/11/2019 at 08:31, SuperRedditch said:

PSA: Players on Non-Contracts with an appearance bonus take up your wage allowance but the game doesn't take it into consideration when you are offering contracts. I was 2k over my wage budget when I was sacked, but still had over 1k that I could use in negotiations. I don't know if this is a bug or intended,

See if it's that. Check your wages via Finances -> Wages.

9 hours ago, deadfncat said:

anyone else drive their club into the ground financially? I cant remember how I used to do all this :D 2nd season after barely surviving last year and we are already 230k in the red

It's the same for me at Merthyr, I've got about 10 players signed on contracts beyond the first season and it's July 1st 2021 so I'm basically starting again after finishing 18th.

22 hours ago, Danny Nedelko said:

I play without attribute masking so I don't post here but it seems way easier to sign players this year than in previous years. I have players in my squad that are better than some of my League 2 players in previous years.

That might be why a lot of players in the league want to join me, BUT, i cannot see their attributes, i cannot see anyones attributes!!! Until the scouts do their job, Im having to bring in a lot on trial. Adds to the realism i guess!!

Ten games into my FC United career and we’re sat in a playoff place. 

Completely revamped the squad with free transfers after taking several squads worth of players on trial. Pretty happy with my starting 11 but I know that I’ll lose some of my key players over the season as they are on non-contracts. 

Currently trying to get rid of some of the weaker players who are taking up too much of my wage budget, who just so happen to be influential figures in my squad so I can’t foresee any issues there...

I’ve managed non league several times and the thing to remember is to not get attached to anyone because you’ll either lose them on a free or they will be redundant the next season. It’s also not worth signing a 5 star potential player because initially you need to think short term and not waste your budget on someone who may never play a role. 

Haven’t managed to pick up anyone on loan yet because I’m quickly running out of scouting budget. Hoping to get a parent club soon