Last World Cup for...?

Baptista_8

This could be the last World Cup (or even major international tournament for some) for what seems like a hell-of-a-lot of top players:

Cristiano Ronaldo?

Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi?

Sergio Ramos?

Gerard Pique?

Luka Modric?

Javier Mascherano

Thiago Silva?

Pepe

David Silva?

Mesut Ozil?

Marco Reus?

Kinda sad really :( Especially when you remember their first major tournaments well.

Does very much feel like this is the moment when football as we've known it for the past 10 years or so has changed. 

Those names mentioned won't certainly be at their peaks, and will be in decline. Even if they play another tournament, you can't expect a 37 year Ronaldo, or a 36(?) Messi to be so far and away the best around. 

We might just see a new Ballon D'or this year :eek:

It's been a while! 

This is indeed a little depressing, so why not turn this upside down and think of all the exciting players that will be making their debuts we haven't heard about yet. :) Or even the players that are already known but haven't been given a chance yet and will grow into much bigger stars in 4 years time.

Who had heard of Kylian Mbappé 4 years ago?

The German squad will look totally different:

Neuer - he might very well be there, but Ter Stegen will be the starter then.

Hummels, Boateng - both will be 33 next time, so very doubtful. Especially for Boateng, who's becoming more and more injury prone.

Khedira - he'll prabably stop after the next EURO.

Özil - hopefully he'll never play for Germany again. But I'm afraid he won't be put off the team, especially if Löw sticks around.

Reus - with his injury list, I'm almost sure we won't see him in 4 years time.

Müller - he'll almost definitely be back in Qatar :thup: 

10 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

I think it was the last WC for Messi. Ronaldo might very well be back in 4 years time, although in a different role on the pitch

Ronaldo said before the World Cup that he felt he had two more World Cups in him after this one, which would be extraordinary, given he will be 42 by then!

20 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Ronaldo said before the World Cup that he felt he had two more World Cups in him after this one, which would be extraordinary, given he will be 42 by then!

He wants to break Roger Milla's record as the oldest goalscorer? :D 

52 minutes ago, noikeee said:

This is indeed a little depressing, so why not turn this upside down and think of all the exciting players that will be making their debuts we haven't heard about yet. :) Or even the players that are already known but haven't been given a chance yet and will grow into much bigger stars in 4 years time.

Yeah, France and England have very exciting young squads, Brazil too on the whole.

6 minutes ago, sammayel666 said:

I'd say Tim Cahill is done. Hopefully we can produce another striker and stop shoe-horning a then 42yo attacking midfielder up front :)

Did he get any minutes at this one? I'll never forget his strike in 2014.

22 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Did he get any minutes at this one? I'll never forget his strike in 2014.

He got about half an hour against Peru.

He should have come on against Denmark when Nabbout got injured instead of Tomi Juric who killed all momentum anytime the ball went near him

Keisuke Honda will surely go after this. Rafael Marquez is on his last legs, Falcao will be 36 if he plays at the next World Cup, so I doubt that as well. Suarez and Cavani will both be 35 but I think they will play that one.

27 minutes ago, DB08 said:

Keisuke Honda will surely go after this. Rafael Marquez is on his last legs, Falcao will be 36 if he plays at the next World Cup, so I doubt that as well. Suarez and Cavani will both be 35 but I think they will play that one.

Has Marquez played any minutes!? Missed Suarez and Cavani :(

A lot of the Croatian team is playing their last WC most likely. Modrić, Subašić, Mandžukić , Rakitić, Ćorluka, Strinić, Vida, Perišić, Badelj could all retire from the NT by then as they'll be 33+ and will most likely be forced out if they start underperforming.

We'll need some serious rebuilding after this.

Regarding Portugal: Beto (36), José Fonte (34), Pepe (35), Bruno Alves (36), Quaresma (34), Manuel Fernandes (32) are surely done regarding world cups.

Moutinho (31) may still sneak to another one, though unlikely.

Ronaldo (33) will surely play another if fit and Portugal qualifies.

5 hours ago, noikeee said:

Yes, or Brazil's young star Gabriel Jesus.

15 hours ago, noikeee said:

I think at the next WC, a lot of England's youth WC winners could be household names for England at WC22 - notably Brewster, Sancho, Foden and Angel Gomes. 

2 hours ago, scott MUFC said:

yea back to back WC for England :P

will they break in, a lot of the current lot are young as well

I think Brewster could replace Vardy in 4 years time. 

Lingard and Sterling are both brilliant but neither are world class right now (Only in terms of consistency, or rather lack thereof) and Sancho, Gomes and Foden could stake places to replace them, same with Alli. 

E: by no means guaranteed of course, just think they represent the future of English football. 

15 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Salah

Took Egypt what 28 years to get back here, so play the odds, he will be what in his 50s...

Why would the current egypt team not be able to qualify again ? Unless most of the current players are too old to be there to qualify for the next wc?

1 hour ago, Vernum said:

Why would the current egypt team not be able to qualify again ? Unless most of the current players are too old to be there to qualify for the next wc?

Well their best player, the bloke who saved the penalty, surely he cant break his own record?

Outside of that, id expect Egypt would be too embarrassed to show their face on the greatest stage again.

14 hours ago, JDownie said:

I think at the next WC, a lot of England's youth WC winners could be household names for England at WC22 - notably Brewster, Sancho, Foden and Angel Gomes

Ah, Nani's cousin. Should know better and choose to play for Portugal alongside legendary veteran forward Ronaldo. Will teach him everything he needs.:brock:

On 02/07/2018 at 00:36, mark1985 said:

I think Messi, Ronaldo and maybe Modric will have one more in them. The first two, if they qualify for the next one will play for sure

Depends on Messi's attitude towards playing for the NT.

For Japan (assuming they quality the next one), Hasebe, Okazaki, and Honda won't be returning. Nagatomo will be 35 and Inui will be 34 so they might not make it either. Kagawa probably just about make it if his body holds up, same with Osako 

4 hours ago, YouReds said:

Maradona

On a serious note, who will be play their first WC in 2022? Christian Pulisic, Cengiz Ünder, Jadon Sancho, Jann-Fiete Arp, Vinícius Júnior. 

Tatsuya Ito (who could have gone this year after a stellar end of season for Hamburg) for Japan in 2022, surely. Bright future for the lad I think. 

Phil Foden, Rhian Brewster and Angel Gomes could all debut in 2022, too, along with Sancho for England. 

And, it seems weird to be saying it - Aymeric Laporte and Leroy Sané could debut in the 22 WC. Laporte has yet to even earn a senior cap for France though (despite 51 youth caps)!

E: If he doesn't appear at this World Cup (only situation I can see is if Alisson gets injured or in a 3rd place play-off), Ederson is a possibility of debuting at 22 too. 

16 minutes ago, JDownie said:

E: If he doesn't appear at this World Cup (only situation I can see is if Alisson gets injured or in a 3rd place play-off), Ederson is a possibility of debuting at 22 too. 

Ederson may very well become a perennial bench warmer, unless Alisson gets injured.

Lucas Paquetá is a good bet for a player to play for Brazil in 2022, he was already in our standby list this year. Luan should hopefully finally debut in 2022 too, as he should have been in our squad this year instead of Taison. And he was in the standby list too.

The likes of Vinicius Júnior, Rodrygo and Paulinho might too, but it's not likely all 3 of them will make it.

2 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Ederson may very well become a perennial bench warmer, unless Alisson gets injured.

Lucas Paquetá is a good bet for a player to play for Brazil in 2022, he was already in our standby list this year. Luan should hopefully finally debut in 2022 too, as he should have been in our squad this year instead of Taison. And he was in the standby list too.

The likes of Vinicius Júnior, Rodrygo and Paulinho might too, but it's not likely all 3 of them will make it.

A lot can happen in 4 years though. Alisson could be a nobody by then. 

Unlikely I know and your situation is definitely more likely as Alisson is quality. But you never know. 

E: Pep could be the Brazil manager in 2022 ;)

3 minutes ago, JDownie said:

A lot can happen in 4 years though. Alisson could be a nobody by then. 

Unlikely I know and your situation is definitely more likely as Alisson is quality. But you never know. 

Yes, anything can happen, especially with Brazil, we only have 6 players from 2014 this year, it won't be a surprise if most of the current squad don't make it in 2022.

E: Pep could be the Brazil manager in 2022 

I doubt we will have a foreign manager any time soon.

8 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Yes, anything can happen, especially with Brazil, we only have 6 players from 2014 this year, it won't be a surprise if most of the current squad don't make it in 2022.

I doubt we will have a foreign manager any time soon.

Excuse my ignorance but why is that? I have a terrible memory so I don't recall the last foreign manager Brazil had... I take it it isn't common? 

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

Excuse my ignorance but why is that? I have a terrible memory so I don't recall the last foreign manager Brazil had... I take it it isn't common? 

Too much opposition to having a foreign manager, we barely like foreign-based players, let alone a foreign manager.

The only time we had a foreign manager was one game against Uruguay in 1965, we won 3-0 with a squad consisting only of Palmeiras players + Palmeiras' manager (an Argentinian, Filpo Núñez).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived