Group H - Japan VS Poland and Senegal VS Colombia (3pm)

Baptista_8

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 European teams, 4 South American, Mexico and Japan.

Talking about parity and more slots for various continents.

One Central American team that's basically not Central American by any standard and is a traditional participant of knockout stages and one Asian team that got there with 4 points.

Might aswell stop watching the groupstage when they expand it.

2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Because they're just killing time. FT now Japan 0-1 Poland. Now to wait for FT in Senegal-Colombia.

If they really were playing to protect a 1-0 deficit, it's a real pity Senegal didn't get a 93rd minute winner shortly after they'd finished...

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

One Central American team that's basically not Central American by any standard and is a traditional participant of knockout stages and one Asian team that got there with 4 points.

What team is the central American team? You're aware Mexico are North American, right?

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

But yeah let's not let the Asian teams in the World Cup right?

Just now, D_LO_ said:

Shots on target is probably the better suggestion I've heard. 

I can imagine that being as farcical in the last games when you have teams taking pops from 50 yards :D

4 minutes ago, grff said:

I can imagine that being as farcical in the last games when you have teams taking pops from 50 yards :D

Exactly this. I like the principle because it promotes attacking play in theory. But then you think more about it and realise it's just going to lead to nonsense in games.

Much easier to manage yellow cards - something that people generally don't want to collect anyway. It's only the weird situation in England's group where getting yellows is favourable.

7 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

What team is the central American team? You're aware Mexico are North American, right?

North and Central America are both in CONCACAF.

I don't get the point you're trying to make?

7 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

But yeah let's not let the Asian teams in the World Cup right?

2 slots are enough for them.

Arabia - awful.

Iran - catenaccio lvl100.

Australia - scored from two penalties they got as gifts, basically. Pretty bad.

Korea - handily lost against both teams that qualified. Won against never worse Germany that missed a dozen of chances.

Japan - qualified due to number of yellow cards. Will get battered in the knockout round.

3 minutes ago, grff said:

Farcical 50 yard shots would be an improvement on sides playing to protect a deficit whilst avoiding getting carded. You'd hope the stats compiler had the freedom to rule the really gently hit ones as failed long balls forward too... 

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Exactly this. I like the principle because it promotes attacking play in theory. But then you think more about it and realise it's just going to lead to nonsense in games.

Much easier to manage yellow cards - something that people generally don't want to collect anyway. It's only the weird situation in England's group where getting yellows is favourable.

So England might want to get more bookings? God dammit where are Paul Scholes and John Terry when you need them?

7 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

It's not just the weird incentives for Group H to get yellows. It's the ludicrous nature of Japan getting awarded a "fair play" progression for cynically refusing to play anything resembling football for 10 minutes even though they were actually losing. Judging from the clips, that was much worse than the Disgrace of Gijon.

At least sides trying to game shots makes the game entertaining to watch, and give the opposition the ball back, and doesn't depend on arbitrarily lenient refereeing

5 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

So England might want to get more bookings? God dammit where are Paul Scholes and John Terry when you need them?

Phil Jones is in the lineup, which should also be handy if they fancy conceding a goal.

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

It's not just the weird incentives for Group H to get yellows. It's the ludicrous nature of Japan getting awarded a "fair play" lead for cynically refusing to play anything resembling football for 10 minutes. Judging from the clips, that was much worse than the Disgrace of Gijon.

At least sides trying to game shots makes the game entertaining to watch, and give the opposition the ball back.

Phil Jones is in the lineup, which should also be handy if they fancy conceding a goal.

Ah yes I forgot about Jones.

14 minutes ago, grff said:

You reckon they'd get many on target from 50 yards? Going by some of the shooting this tournament I admire your optimism! 

Archived