Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Oooooh, just saw Fosu-Mensah got his debut. Fantastic! One thing you can't fault LVG for, is giving the youths a chance. Injuries or not, he's giving them chances, and has done throughout.

James Weir got 2 minutes as well but I'm pretty sure he didn't touch the ball. Was more a time wasting exercise during the 5 minutes of time added on.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be it was overly harsh. But what I meant is that he hasn't lit up that level like Will Keane did pre-injury, Wilson did before his debut, or Januzaj did before his. Ravel Morrison was absurdly dominant at that level too, but we know how messed up he is in the head, so that obviously didn't work out. I had not expect him to make such an impact at first team level.

Is Morrison still warming benches in Italy? Feels like he's completely dropped off the map.

Think that's a little harsh. He's the U18s top scorer, was one of the best players for the U19s and has been behind Will Keane and Ashley Fletcher in the pecking order at U21s level.

That's interesting. If this is the case, why wasn't either Will Keane or Ashley Fletcher called up to sub this week instead of Rashford? Am I missing something obvious?

What a great result yesterday, brilliant to see Rashford bag a brace again, hopefully he starts v Watford and does it again, although 3 games in 6 days may be a bit too much for him.

Schneiderlin was class, hopefully we'll start to see the player he was at Southampton now.

The LvG dive was class, the fans loved it when he actually came to the touchline but that just topped it off. He must know now that's what he should do, show that he gives a **** and the fans will be on his side.

will keane has an injury was taken off a few minutes after coming on 2 weeks ago

Ashley Fletcher is on loan mate

Wow. Time and chance do happen to them all. This opportunity could have fallen to either one, but it fell to MR.

Schneiderlin has been much better recently, I don't know what it is but the last few games he's become more dynamic and started covering more ground. We've got to make as much as we can from his athleticism because that's where he excels vs our other midfielders. The others can then be left to do the creative work.

Im so interested to see what is happening behind the scenes and how things are changing. Is LVG changing things, if so why? Are the players doing what they want? Is Giggs more prominent? We have got to credit LVG for the youth influx even if some of it is more luck than judgement(Rashford coming in after three injuries).

Pretty sure the bolded part goes for literally the entire team. Everyone looks so much more up for it

Schneiderlin has been much better recently, I don't know what it is but the last few games he's become more dynamic and started covering more ground. We've got to make as much as we can from his athleticism because that's where he excels vs our other midfielders. The others can then be left to do the creative work.

A defensive midfielder who excels at pressing, tackling and intercepting can only look good at those things if his teammates are doing similar. Otherwise if he presses alone it is easy to pass around him.

Schneiderlin was class, hopefully we'll start to see the player he was at Southampton now.

Was odd to sign a player like Schneiderlin and then not play in a style that suits him. Play a high pressing game and Schneiderlin will be a big asset. A slow laboured style of play like van Gaal had been using won't utilise Schneiderlin's best attributes.

Play a high pressing game and Schneiderlin will be a big asset. A slow laboured style of play like van Gaal had been using won't utilise Schneidetrlin's best attributes.

MLG in player's name typo shocker, probably edited by the time I've posted this ;)

Schneiderlin has had some nice stretches of solid play. I thought he looked best for us during a few matches before the Emirates match. My issue with him is that he has been right in the middle of giving up some awful goals from what looks like a loss of concentration. Seems to me that a DM should have pretty awesome concentration. That worries me.

When is Smalling back? Our injuries have been unreal.

Hopefully Rashford starts again but I also hope we use him right in upcoming games.

Want another 2 goals from him tonight :D

Think Martial should be in the bench. The other 4 have played well over the past few games.

Then would have Rashford on the bench for West Brom away at the weekend.

If Rashford starts, I kinda hope he doesn't score again. The hype is getting surreal. Better for him longterm to get a more transitional introduction to first team football at this level, and develop his game further in more quiet.

He has played well, but let's keep in mind that several of the goals have been essentially tap-ins. Thankfully he is a reserved person, so will hopefully not "take off" from all this exposure and media hype. They do love a good "build up and tear down" exercise...

He has played well, but let's keep in mind that several of the goals have been essentially tap-ins.

Van Nistelrooy made a pretty good career out of tap ins. Would we be complaining if Rooney scored as many tap ins? I always find Rooney taking one extra touch that isnt required in the box and getting tackled. Rashford just put the ball in the goal. (Not a slight on Rooney either, I just feel he has lost a bit of the sharpness)

We have had too many good performances followed by the next game being back to the usual rubbish so i wont be getting too carried away at the moment. Still potentially having Smalling, Darmian and Martial back for tonight is good. LvG said Rojo should play as well.

If fit i would have Smalling replace Carrick and Martial up top instead of Rashford. That aside same team that started against Arsenal. Though i might be temped to put Rojo as centre back and Blind at left back. Deeney and Ighalo have pace and power and Rojo, Smalling may be better able to deal with this.

Van Nistelrooy made a pretty good career out of tap ins. Would we be complaining if Rooney scored as many tap ins? I always find Rooney taking one extra touch that isnt required in the box and getting tackled. Rashford just put the ball in the goal. (Not a slight on Rooney either, I just feel he has lost a bit of the sharpness)

One of the big criticisms of Rooney when he was scoring 34 goals a season was the number of tap ins to be fair, it was nonsense then too. The key for Rashford is to be involved in games consistently which is something even Martial struggles with up top, scoring or not it's not being anonymous that's the key. You can miss a few chances as long as you're good at getting on the end of them.

Tap ins :D He's a striker that was told to stay and play in the 6 yard box and has scored 4 goals. But yeah, he should score a few from 40 yards because those are worth 2!...?

Exactly this. He has to play tonight, as does Memphis. Let's give Martial some time to get back in to things, he's only young himself.

If Smalling and Darmian are back and Carrick is out I'd like to see:

DDG

Varela (who has been very good recently, he's made that position his now IMO)

Smalling

Blind

Darmian

Schneiderlin

Herrera

Lingard

Mata

Memphis

Rashford

They were all relatively simple finishes as a product of great movement, tap ins is probably harsh but at best they were emphatically taken straight forward ones.

I don't think he's got the freakish dribbling Martial has that makes playing out wide work so well, he's much better suited to playing through the middle at the moment. I'm sure he could do a job out there, but it's not like Welbeck where we have a less mobile striker who scores bucket loads. I'm sure Rashford can put in a shift but he isn't missing chances like Welbeck was and I'd be amazed if his workrate is a match either. Putting him out wide seems a bad fit.

He's clearly going to play wide right tonight and set up 3 goals and score one himself of course now I've said all this.

Good grief guys. I'm not criticising the guy and saying he should score from 40 yards. Just pointing out that some of the goals were more or less tap-ins, and that we shouldn't go totally off the rails. He's a very young player with plenty of room for improvement, both in his game and physique, and I'd rather see he was able to develop that in peace instead of getting hyped to ballyhoo and back. He's talented, no doubt about that, but some perspective wouldn't go amiss. I wish him all the best, like I do with all our youth players, and am very impressed at him making such an impact in his first matches for the first team.

For all the media crying about our Academy, they haven't done too badly :cool: And there are still a few real talents that are yet to make their (hopefully positive) mark.

CckJow4W8AQBxQf.jpg

Martial back, Darmian back on the bench, hopefully this is the start of a slew of returning players.

Happy with that team (in respect of who is available), would have gone Martial in for Lingard myself as Martial has been our most threatening player when we actually get him in to the game, whilst Lingard has been average. Rojo starting in the middle is good to see and a first start for TMF.

I saw a worrying interview with LVG that said he saw TSM as left back going forwards, this confirms it. He's a beast in the middle of the park.. but I suppose any game time is good for him.

Central midfield is a really difficult position to break through as a young player though. Alaba, for example, was amazing at youth level as a CM, but has made it at first team level playing at LB.

Love the line up, although do feel LVG didn't have much choice. Hope Rashford is in the middle again. One on hand I'd love him to have another stormer, but on the other hand the media could gobble him up if he goes on a run.

But we need a run right now, and if it is to be provided by an 18 year old - I'll take it.

Archived