The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the hand wringing in here is embarrassing, the results in these games mean nothing at all.

Englands last game before Italia 90? A 1-1 draw with Tunisia. Italy lost their last 3 friendlies running up to Euro 12 and still got to the final, all that mattered today was players getting another game under their belts, getting them used to heat and humidity and also no more injuries.

Job done, now to prepare for Italy next week.

Some of the hand wringing in here is embarrassing, the results in these games mean nothing at all.

Englands last game before Italia 90? A 1-1 draw with Tunisia. Italy lost their last 3 friendlies running up to Euro 12 and still got to the final, all that mattered today was players getting another game under their belts, getting them used to heat and humidity and also no more injuries.

Perfect post.

That's what I said!

Someone behind me said Jack Wilshire is just a crap Scotty Parker though.

A million times this.

More amazed half the Uruguay, Spain, Germany, Italy squads have gone worse since as recetly as then.

Argentina vs Brazil final... Unless our protagonism beat Brazil in the quaters :brock:

Tbh, don't think that was too bad. I know it was only Honduras, but we looked solid defensively for the most part and attacking we had some decent moments. I don't understand what people are expecting from friendlies, would you give it your all in the final game before a world cup? Add in Honduras were right dirty sods, we weren't going to get anything special.

We have to improve, of course, but I'd be more worried if we peaked in the friendlies tbh. Darren summed it up perfectly in his post.

"These are the same sort of standard as Costa Rica, so not seen too much to worry us".

Er Clive, it is still 0-0.

Same Honduras that beat Mexico IN AZTECA. Only the 2nd time Mexico had lost a World Cup qualifier at home (now 80 matches in total)

Honduras very organised. Nothing going forwards though and very dirty.

Wouldn't be surprised if they failed to get a win in their group and picked up at least one red along the way :D

This. I hope they get a few beatings in their group.
Why are Honduras making a 91st minute sub in a friendly...

Honduras are proper filthy' date=' just glad there are no injuries[/quote']

Tbh, don't think that was too bad. I know it was only Honduras, but we looked solid defensively for the most part and attacking we had some decent moments. I don't understand what people are expecting from friendlies, would you give it your all in the final game before a world cup? Add in Honduras were right dirty sods, we weren't going to get anything special.

Welcome to CONCACAF.

We may very well not get out of our group but opinion on that happening or not happening has not shifted at all from before yesterdays game to after it

It was frustrated. I think in terms of friendlies we can see how Honduras may play against France and in that regard they probably got more out of the friendly than we did. At least it's a clean sheet but some frustrating decisions when we got forward. It's all very well to play the ball across in front of the defence but there wasn't much penetration. I think one ball slid through to someone in the box I remember

Everyone takes a touch and then passes and it just becomes too easy to pack the defence. We also didn't get a whole lot of crosses in I don't think

This looks like the side vs Italy. There may be a position open midfield. Wondering about Milner starting and then the likes of Sterling coming on for 20 or so. I like Barkley. It was difficult to break through but I like his direct running

Rooney wasn't great again but we know he's capable of great things but we always say this and they don't really happen. I think he'll still be starting but I reckon Hodgson won't have qualms about taking him off. We don't need to be afraid to put trust in Sterling, Barkley or Ox

Sturridge had a couple of decent chances too, should have put one away

I don't know what got into the Hondurans with the kicking and tackling in the 2nd half but at least it was competitive so a decent fixture before a proper fixture although disappointing to not create a bit more

I think this game helped England prepare for Costa Rica. It's a very similar side to Honduras, but a bit more refined in attack and in midfield, I think if it was Costa Rica today, Joel Campbell or Bryan Ruiz would've buried those opportunities England gave to Honduras from failing to handle the ball from the back under pressure properly.

The clamer for Sterling to start is getting a bit desperate tbh. What's he done in an England shirt, except get sent off, to suggest he could play in their biggest game in the World Cup?

And whats even more disturbing is that people want him in for Welbeck, who has been the best England player since Hodgson took over.

I can see the desire to drop Rooney, but lets face it there's no one else to come in for him. Barkely isn't ready to start big games. The only way to do it is to drop him for another midfield player, but then I think Sturridge becomes isolated.

England look really poor, I can't see them getting out of the group. As someone said above, no one seems to be able to reproduce their club form, maybe thats down to the coaching staff. Or its the foreign players carrying them.

Some people are looking into last nights match too much. It's pretty much a pre-season friendly.

I also love the fact that this is probably our best squad in donkey's years and people are writing us off more than ever. This is one of our most exciting squads since I can remember (granted i'm still only in my early 20's) and yet people are writing us off before we've even kicked a ball.

You lot seriously think we won't get out of the group? Italy haven't won a game since they qualified in September, Uruguay finished 5th in the South American qualifying (behind Ecuador) needing a play-off match to qualify for the world cup. And a team of our standard should be beating Cost Rica, although it won't be an easy match like some are predicting.

I'm sorry but our group isn't anywhere near as bad as people are making out and we've made it out of much harder groups in recent tournaments with squads that included players like Upson, Downing and Shaun Wright Phillips.

People want Sterling in because of the pace he offers and ability to go beyond players, Welbeck didn't do that at all last night, when he did get past a player his next touch was dreadful. He usually is really good for England, but he seems to be carrying Man Utds form into this World Cup which is a big worry.

Barkley impressed me again but I think he should be coming off the bench around the 60th mark if a game is still level, don't think his quite disciplined enough yet to start a big game.

Defence last night was once again poor and that was with our first choice. Constant stupid silly little mistakes like misplaced passes, little triangles around our box when none of them really wanted the ball, do that against Italy or Uruguay we will be punished.

Overall from the game last night I'm just glad we got through with no injuries considering some of the tackles that were flying in. They could have easily finished with 8/9 players ffs. Defence needs major work (Probably too late now and is a case of crossing our fingers and hoping for the best), Wilshere looked really good when he came on which is a big positive, controlled the tempo of the game perfectly, Sturridge was hopefully just an off day as he should have had at least a brace whilst the attacking players all seemed a bit lackluster.

(Staphouse - The 2004 squad was our best by some distance I reckon)

I thought Rooney did well in the first game playing out left,i'd have Lallana playing behind Sturridge,if he missis chance like last night I'd stick him out wide and put Lambert up top,i'd play Gerrard,he's got that pass he can play to counter as well as exp,the young ones can come on later as impact subs some give the ball away to much at the mo,I feel we need to be tighter(more organised)for Italy,got to make sure we don't lose,i thinking Eng/Ital draw,Ital/Uar draw,Eng/Uar draw,attack Costa lol

People want Sterling in because of the pace he offers and ability to go beyond players, Welbeck didn't do that at all last night, when he did get past a player his next touch was dreadful. He usually is really good for England, but he seems to be carrying Man Utds form into this World Cup which is a big worry.

Though Welbeck played well last night. Linked up well with others and worked hard defenively. Not sure what you watched. :D

(Staphouse - The 2004 squad was our best by some distance I reckon)

On paper, I agree with you 100%.

But it came at a time when we were trying to shoehorn in Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes which just hampered this period. The squad had the best players, I don't think anyone will argue with that, but we were trying to fit them all in rather than leaving some out to make the "team" better. I'm sorry but seeing Scholes out on the left was just criminal. I do think that if this group was managed a lot better then we would have done better in the major tournaments.

I think that this squad, despite not having as many "world-class" players, balances out a lot better. The only problem is Defence, which is quite un-inspiring. Apart from Johnson, it is quite solid but we've had much better defences in the past.

I do understand why people will disagree with me but this is just what I think.

I know Barkley's final product isn't quite there yet but I love how he always tries to get involved and give the player on the ball an option, it's so much better than Rooney offering nothing again and again, he really does need to be dropped. Lallana has done nothing to suggest he needs to start either.

Ideally we'd have Ox fit and play Ox-Barkley-Sterling, instead I'd settle for Welbeck-Barkley-Sterling, it'll be Welbeck-Rooney-Lallana.

I think I'd go Ox - Lallana - Welbeck against Italy with everyone fit.

Barkley on for Lallana at some point.

Still think Sterling is a hugely overrated player, and if Rooney is going to play, it needs to be up front.

CP copying my diamond, for shame. I've changed my mind since then though, want a Christmas tree with Sterling and Barkley in behind Sturridge.

That line from Clive Tyldesley about Costa Rica being no trouble for us on the basis of us struggling against 10 man Honduras was hilarious, was just such a what?! moment.

You lot seriously think we won't get out of the group? Italy haven't won a game since they qualified in September, Uruguay finished 5th in the South American qualifying (behind Ecuador) needing a play-off match to qualify for the world cup. And a team of our standard should be beating Cost Rica, although it won't be an easy match like some are predicting.

I'm sorry but our group isn't anywhere near as bad as people are making out and we've made it out of much harder groups in recent tournaments with squads that included players like Upson, Downing and Shaun Wright Phillips.

England to lose on lots after everyone in the group finishes 1-2-0.

Though Welbeck played well last night. Linked up well with others and worked hard defenively. Not sure what you watched. :D

Didn't say he played poorly just didn't offer what Sterling can and what we need when we're playing Rooney & Lallana in the attacking trio and that's pace couple with the ability to dribble past players. Welbeck granted was good with little link ups but it really wasn't getting us anywhere, whenever Honduras were open slightly and Welbeck had the chance to take someone on and get into space he'd go past the first player then take a terribly bad touch and lose the ball or go past one and just run into a cul-de-sac.

I just feel personally if Rooney/Lallana start then Welbeck can't if we want to have that attacking threat more, likewise if Welbeck/Lallana start then Rooney can't or Welbeck/Rooney Lallana can't. That's my view though which others will disagree with rightly so :)

Lets face it, we're not that good with the ball. welbeck was atrocious with it last night, decent off it. infact they were all a bit crap with it. Teams know how to play against us and thats why we lose to the semi decent teams. Just defend deep and wait for us to **** it up as we invariably do. Not convinced sterling will start but he made more happen in the 10 mins or so he had last week than the rest of the time weve played in these 3 friendlies. He's not our saviour but at least we'll look decent going forward if he does play.

We need to score goals, sounds simple but at the moment i can see us scoring maybe 1 or 2 goals in the group as it stands, so someone needs to step up big time (be nice if they all could...) or we really wont get out of the group.

We need to score goals, sounds simple but at the moment i can see us scoring maybe 1 or 2 goals in the group as it stands, so someone needs to step up big time (be nice if they all could...) or we really wont get out of the group.

6 goals in our last 6 games since we qualified :/

6 goals in our last 6 games since we qualified :/

Zero against Honduras, a similar test to what Costa Rica will provide. And Italy have one of the best defences in international football, so scoring more than 1 against them will take some doing I think.

Not saying you will struggle to score goals, but I can understand the argument. I think the weakness of England's defence will mean the attack has to step it up big time. And I'm not sure your attack is capable of that.

Zero against Honduras, a similar test to what Costa Rica will provide. And Italy have one of the best defences in international football, so scoring more than 1 against them will take some doing I think.

Not saying you will struggle to score goals, but I can understand the argument. I think the weakness of England's defence will mean the attack has to step it up big time. And I'm not sure your attack is capable of that.

But no one cares what you think :p

I'm just calling it as I see it, not really being negative (I prefer 'realistic' :D) - I think England stand a good chance of getting out of their group. People saying they will walk it are just as ridiculous as the people saying they will fail miserably. I wouldn't want to call it (if I had to, I'd predict England to finish ahead of Italy on GD in 1st place).

I'm just calling it as I see it, not really being negative (I prefer 'realistic' :D) - I think England stand a good chance of getting out of their group. People saying they will walk it are just as ridiculous as the people saying they will fail miserably. I wouldn't want to call it (if I had to, I'd predict England to finish ahead of Italy on GD in 1st place).

Wasn't really aimed at you, yours just happened to be the most recent post :D

I've said all along I think this squad is just as likely to win the group as they are to finish 3rd. It's just really boring reading "we're rubbish" " we're not good enough" etc - I suppose I should just avoid this thread after a game :D

Haha, sorry, I'm just getting bored of reading people being negative before the World Cup even kicks off. Let's at least wait till next weekend before we start all the negative **** :(

All those people need to do

is change their point of view

and BOLIEVE :cool:

Archived