Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

Only issue I'm seeing in this update is some of the finishing is woeful? I'm not playing in lower leagues either.

Not a game breaker mind you. Great patch for the most part.

Sounds tactical/motivational. Not having any problems myself, but create a thread in the tactics forum and they'll have a look. Cartman a few posts above yours had the same problem.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest El Payaso

After a bit more of testing I'd say that this update is generally good. Smaller AI teams seem to be much more composed when playing against bigger teams and games actually are quite evenly matched in terms of stats.

- Dribbling: it's been toned down but yeah, still much too effective when you compare it to real life. Good and decent wingers create chances out of nothing by dribbling out of dead ends also in the middle of the pitch there seems to be free lanes to run with the ball and Ramires is often running the games for me because of that.

It's better but still should be toned down in the future but this also needs some tactical versatility to the tactics also...

- Marking errors. Especially inside the penalty area just silly errors, after slow buildups, often free shots inside the penalty area where the defenders have been grouped for a long time. Especially full-backs marking in the far posts is bad and they're usually not intercepting basic and highly predictable passes from bursting forward full-back to in cutting winger.

Generally inside the penalty areas teams are quite sloppy in terms of defending. Torres has netted 6 goals inside the penalty area where he has been alone with two centre-backs and the goalkeeper, he just seems to get to the end of most of the crosses.

- Goalkeeper errors. I've seen more with this update. Cech has been vulnerable even though not under pressure, hitting the ball straight to opposition's player. This has happened few times already and Cech should be one of most reliable keepers on foot. He still isn't getting goalkicks too far either.

It doesn't have it up front.

I had a player valued at 40k and got silly offers of 36k etc. but I kept asking for 500k. The AI kept withdrawing and obviously I understand why. Then I wondered if it wasn't because of a lack of cash up front? Next time the AI negotiated to 60k + 28k in 24 months. I tried my luck: 60k + 440k in 24 months. They accepted!

and if they don't have it upfront then it should be their duty to renegociate the price with some upfront and the rest in months, not us guessing how much money they have.

tried to make it 48 months deal, the highest they accepted was 15M for a 12.5M player that is not transfer listed, that wins champions cups, that playes for argentina. sorry but transfer system is broken. the Ganso negotiations i mentioned earlier also show that...

and the AI negotiations don't even make sense. in RL if someone offered 10M for a player and club replied 20M the negotiations would either be cancelled or they would up their offer a lot and not make an offer with 5% increase like AI does when the club just demanded a 100% increase...

just transfer listed player and offered him for 20M over 48 months, Arsenal makes that offer, Manchester City offers 8.5M over 48 Months lol wtf. completely random bids...

Look, the AI can always be improved w.r.t. negotiating. There are a lot of factors involved that need to be taken into account.

just transfer listed player and offered him for 20M over 48 months, Arsenal makes that offer, Manchester City offers 8.5M over 48 Months lol wtf. completely random bids...

This one I don't understand. What's his value? 12.5m? Why are you expecting 20m bids for him, if you're transfer listing him and offering him out?

the highest they accepted was 15M for a 12.5M player that is not transfer listed

As I and many others have said, forget "Value" as stated by the game. It's just a number to get you started. No AI team that is looking to make a bid cares about this number. Each team has its own value of each player, and it will be different than yours, probably wildly so. If Arsenal offered 20m and Man City offered 8M, then both teams simply valued that player differently. They're not both going to offer 20M just because you ask them to. Also, there is absolutely no consequences to an AI team making a low offer for one of your players. In fact, it may unsettle a player, making him easier to sign.

"Unrealistic" transfer bids are a part of the game that aren't going away. Learn how the system works and adapt, rather than expecting a perfect representation of real-world transfer bids.

CCC conversion is bad in my save.

I just had a game where I had 10 CCC and scored only 1 goal. It was a combination of my players being plain awful that day, being complacent after an early goal, and the 'keeper having a good match. These things happen.

I also notice that you seem to score first and concede in the second half, which to me suggests that you are not altering your tactics to sit on your lead. Or if not sit on it then to be less offensive. I made this mistake until recently too, I lost several leads (including a 3-0 lead at home to Porto). Now, if I have a lead approaching 20 or so minutes to go I start to make changes to shut up shop. Does not even have to be going defensive, just keep more men back and hold on to the ball. Meaningless ball retention.

This is just plain stupid

Tim Krul has now just dropped the ball at his feet for Podolski to tap in...what on earth is going on with this game :confused:

I would suggest dropping the woefully out of form Krul. These things do happen in real life, you have a few howlers in a row. If your backup 'keeper does the exact same thing, then there is a different issue.

I would suggest dropping the woefully out of form Krul. These things do happen in real life, you have a few howlers in a row. If your backup 'keeper does the exact same thing, then there is a different issue.

I see what you're saying but he's bang in form and his morale is on superb...it's now and again we have these howlers that are too stupid to even laugh at.

not had a reply in the editor bug forum, team colours are changing to a different strip against certain teams, it appears to be set in the editor under kit selection but cannot be edited? is that correct? play in 2d, normal colours are black icon/black background and white text, then its set for a couple of teams to white icon/white background and black text for no reason! any help/ideas???

Look, the AI can always be improved w.r.t. negotiating. There are a lot of factors involved that need to be taken into account.

This one I don't understand. What's his value? 12.5m? Why are you expecting 20m bids for him, if you're transfer listing him and offering him out?

I transfer listed him to see how it would work, guess what, the game shows again that is broken. teams not wanting to bid 20M for a non transfer listed player, making ridiculous low offers and then when i transfer listed him a new club bids for 20M lol. and another interesting fact, this new bidding club is mucher bigger and better then the other one, so according to AI logic a world class player is not good for Napoles but is a must buy for Arsenal...

It's awful in my experience:

Far more bugs now than before, playing running from the ball in the wrong directions, far too many penalties now, players randomly falling over / sliding in despite being nowhere near the ball, players who has the chance to run with the ball and counter attack now just smashing it straight to opposition goalkeeper "He's taking no chances there?!". Goalkeeper distribution absolutely abysmal, the body collision looking utterly ridiculously..

Struggling to keep playing at the minute.

As I and many others have said, forget "Value" as stated by the game. It's just a number to get you started. No AI team that is looking to make a bid cares about this number. Each team has its own value of each player, and it will be different than yours, probably wildly so. If Arsenal offered 20m and Man City offered 8M, then both teams simply valued that player differently. They're not both going to offer 20M just because you ask them to. Also, there is absolutely no consequences to an AI team making a low offer for one of your players. In fact, it may unsettle a player, making him easier to sign.

"Unrealistic" transfer bids are a part of the game that aren't going away. Learn how the system works and adapt, rather than expecting a perfect representation of real-world transfer bids.

there are no real life transfer bids in my game, my player bids are 1 example, AI accepting a bid of 4.9M for Ganso when he is worth ingame almost 9M has indispensable status...

every time i make bids or get bids it goes under the player value, that makes no freaking sense, if that number is useless then just remove it from game...

I transfer listed him to see how it would work, guess what, the game shows again that is broken. teams not wanting to bid 20M for a non transfer listed player, making ridiculous low offers and then when i transfer listed him a new club bids for 20M lol. and another interesting fact, this new bidding club is mucher bigger and better then the other one, so according to AI logic a world class player is not good for Napoles but is a must buy for Arsenal...

If you're transfer listing him, it indicates to other clubs that you don't want him. Actively offering him out makes this worse. You'll be very lucky to even get the player's value. Not everything is broken. Users have a few things to learn as well.

The transfer system isn't perfect, but it isn't close to "broken".

Anyone think of an obvious reason why I'd be unable to offer contracts to players in the January window whose deals ran out within 6 months? The option just isn't there. I'm Gateshead in League 2 in January 2018

edit: It's letting me offer contracts to Scottish-based players, but not English.

It doesnt work with england to england based players anymore. This rule happened about 2 or 3 FMs ago. I assume its accurate to reality. It still works with scottish players and other countries though.

And clubs outside of England can still do it to English clubs.

there are no real life transfer bids in my game, my player bids are 1 example, AI accepting a bid of 4.9M for Ganso when he is worth ingame almost 9M has indispensable status...

every time i make bids or get bids it goes under the player value, that makes no freaking sense, if that number is useless then just remove it from game...

Value is not "useless". It's a number that's computed off of his age, contract length, and CA/PA (and probably a couple of other factors). It would probably be the average of hypothetical bids that interested AI teams would make, depending on whether or not the player is happy/unhappy, listed/not listed, Key Player/Rotation/Backup/etc... Sometimes it's just plain wrong, but more often than not, it's not too far off. As I said, it's a starting point so that you don't try to vastly overvalue him or you don't get far too little for him. But if you think of it as an absolute number that you should always get for a player, then you should just forget Value and learn how the game works.

It's awful in my experience:

Far more bugs now than before, playing running from the ball in the wrong directions, far too many penalties now, players randomly falling over / sliding in despite being nowhere near the ball, players who has the chance to run with the ball and counter attack now just smashing it straight to opposition goalkeeper "He's taking no chances there?!". Goalkeeper distribution absolutely abysmal, the body collision looking utterly ridiculously..

Struggling to keep playing at the minute.

this is the most bugged version both in game and editor very disappointed ....think its time to go back to FM12

If you're transfer listing him, it indicates to other clubs that you don't want him. Actively offering him out makes this worse. You'll be very lucky to even get the player's value. Not everything is broken. Users have a few things to learn as well.

dude i'm not complaining about the 8M bid, ofc i expected the offers to be lower, what i didn't expect was a new club saying "here take my money" for a player i wasn't even intereste before and for a much higher price. Arsenal offered 20M after transfer listed...Napoles offered 15M for a non transfer listed. both on 48 months. logic???

dude i'm not complaining about the 8M bid, ofc i expected the offers to be lower, what i didn't expect was a new club saying "here take my money" for a player i wasn't even intereste before and for a much higher price. Arsenal offered 20M after transfer listed...Napoles offered 15M for a non transfer listed. both on 48 months. logic???

I dont think the transfer market is very good, but I would guess that because you transfer listed the player it makes him much happier to leave which would make it more attractive to the buying clubs. If the player is happy and doesnt care about leaving then Arsenal might not think its worth bidding because the player is happy where he is at and to tempt him away might be not possible.

When making a search list I added "asking price" and I noticed that the scout thinks that a lot of players can be bought for very reasonable prices. Currently Oviedo third season in BBVA the summer of 2020. Some players could be signed for half their base value, even.

This is why I don't even bother trying to negotiate with AI clubs coming in for my players. Since I haven't won anything yet and the club is still small, most of my players are valued around 500k-2m. My most valuable players are two 18-year olds, a keeper and a striker, that are both already star players and have more to go on. The striker is valued 1.8m and my autoreject regime has now brought the bids for him up to over 5m. Not that it matters - I wouldn't be able to replace him even with that.

It is good that bids are coming in, and it is okay that they are low to begin with. It is also okay that rejecting the bids make them come back and try again with an increased bid.

What is not okay is the way the AI clubs handle negotiations. The first counteroffer is NOT the final offer. One of my other players is valued 800k and is a good player for most BBVA clubs, a well-performing AMLC. They approached me and I set 2.5m, which would be a high offer and good for me of course. They withdrew just like that. They were not coming in with 1,2 or 1,5 or 1,9 or anything. Just rejected. The thing is - I cannot possibly know what they think is an acceptable price for him, that's what we have negotiations for; to come to an agreement all parties can live with.

So I request:

A) The AI club must NOT see all-up-front values posted by the human user as a demand to have everything up front. If they came back with a 0 up front, 2,5m over 24 month offer in the above example, I would have to consider it and that is all that is required of an offer. To require the human user to micromanage these bids so that the AI can "read it" in terms of their budget is in my opinion a rather dumb mechanic.

B) The AI club must NOT see negotiated bids as "final offer" values that must either be accepted or rejected on the spot. A negotiated bid means only one thing: the current bid was close enough to an acceptable value that the owner club decided to talk about it. The AI plays that game very well when on the receiving end - now they must get the tools to also do the same when they bid for players. If an Important First Team Player with three years left on his contract is valued at £5m, the bidding AI club must expect the actual transfer value to be at least 10m, and that if they bid 5 millions, the selling club will likely quote 15m in order to get as much out of him as possible. In such a scenario in RL, both clubs know that the transfer will clock in on around 10m but they do that dance anyways, to get a few extra goldpieces out of the deal. That's how it works. If it does not work like this (which it seems like it isn't) then the Negotiate button is pointless.

I thought that the AI teams were not able to do anything that we, ourselves can't do.....

So what's this new defensive formation they're all doing now for corners? 5 or 6 players lined up across the six yard box and no way of getting anyone to run through them. Where is our tactic for setting up this move please?

Thats what annoys me.

If you offered the AI what they offered you, they would think its as ridiculous as you do theirs. And they certainly wouldnt pay what they expect you to pay.

Its like the human and the AI are playing with 2 different currencys. The AI think they are playing with gold bars but thinks you are playing in Zimbabwe dollars.

I thought that the AI teams were not able to do anything that we, ourselves can't do.....

So what's this new defensive formation they're all doing now for corners? 5 or 6 players lined up across the six yard box and no way of getting anyone to run through them. Where is our tactic for setting up this move please?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/386248-14.3-Corners?p=9470983&viewfull=1#post9470983 onwards

This has been slowly irritating me and not sure what is causing it, but occasionally, well often really, my single mouse clicks are acting like 2 very quick ones. Is there anything I can do to fix this.

Constant crash dumps and C++ errors ever since this update. Never had them before, now I can't get past a week in a new or old save. I've uninstalled Steam and FM, and verified the integrity of the files a few times now. Really annoying. Any suggestions for a fix?

Finish my first season with 14.3 and so far so good. Much much better ME compared to 14.2.

If the following can be improve the ME will be close to perfect,

1. Goalkeeper stupid mistake like taking a goal kick when opposition player is very close and conceded. Its happening too frequent even with very good goalkeeper like Peter Cech, Tim Krul and etc. One or two times over a season is reasonable but every few games is totally unrealistic.

2. Defenders receiving throw in near box and misses the ball and let opposition player steal it and score easy goal happens far too frequent.

3. Success rate for very clear one on one chances with only goalkeeper to beat still too low even for star strikers. In real life a defender can bury it with higher success rate.

Anyway, very good job on 14.3!

The central defenders marking on this update is pretty bad. It's just basic marking and the CB is standing 5 yards infont of the striker but the rest of the back line is playing them onside - there is no explanation, I've tried to set to man mark the striker, I've tried to drop deeper...nothing makes a difference, the full backs are behind the centre halves even though one is set to support and the other attack. It's just nonsensical...is anyone else noticing anything similar/have any advice to combat it?

Could someone from SI please reply to the below question I posted a while back? I have not yet seen a response but apologies in advance if I have missed it

Is there any way to get rid of the little yellow marks that indicate your player has a note? I find these extremely ugly and hope there is an option to turn these off. I have notes on all my players, so it serves absolutely no purpose for me.

Pretty sure they mentioned overhauling the transfer system during the first announcement. No need for snark.

1. SI make lots of claims about overhauling various parts of the game each time a new version comes out. It is called marketing, otherwise we would all still be playing CM. A lot of their "overhauls" are executed well, probably an equal number need a few versions to get polished and right. Pointing out that they mentioned the transfer system was overhauled means basically nothing. If everything in the initial announcement was correctly implemented we wouldn't need patches at all.

2. Who made you the fun police anyway? Back off and mind your own business.

Constant crash dumps and C++ errors ever since this update. Never had them before, now I can't get past a week in a new or old save. I've uninstalled Steam and FM, and verified the integrity of the files a few times now. Really annoying. Any suggestions for a fix?

Read this: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368796

If that doesn't work, create a thread here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/360-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

Match ratings were tweaked, and if anything, they were revised upwards for full backs in particular.

With a 3rd of an English season in my save gone the majority of the 10-20 highest average rating players in FL Championship to League 2 are Full Backs.Have SI compensted for them to much in their favour after the poor ratings on the initial release of the game?

Just making sure, is winning Community Shield counted as part of treble ? Or isit a bug. I won league a cup and community shield and it tell me I won treble

It's not a bug, FM does count the Community Shield towards double/treble etc. There is no right/wrong answer on this or official definition, although it always seems weird to include it for me.

You complain about broken transfers, but don't get the obvious logic here?

The updated ME is simply amazing. It almost seems like I'm playing a completely different game! Grats to SI!

However I must admit that I feel a bit weird having invested 350 hours of gameplay in the previous "versions". It almost feels like I was playing a beta version of the ME. For example I can't get rid of the expectation of the wingers shooting the ball on the wing backs, I got used to that like it was a part of the game(and it was actually).

I love FM but I think I'll get into the newer release after some patches from now on!

Cheers!

Thoughts on this:

Last season, Per Mertesacker scored 21 goal in all comps without being specifically targeted on set pieces, and the triumvirate of Mertesacker, Vermaelen and Koscielny netted 36 between them. Approximately a 66% goals-to-games ratio. This season, with 14.3, so far the defenders have 0 goals in 9 total games. It seems that the rates for scoring from corners have been slightly overcompensated (or it is simply just the luck of a small sample number of games). Either way, I'd rather score very few than a completely unrealistic amount. No longer does Santi Cazorla have a laser-targeted CK ability, the corners show much more variation in distance and quality.

Player animations and usage seem improved. Giroud has gone from a bog-standard advanced forward to all-round link man. I'm not talking solely about performance here, but whereas previously he would just lead the line reasonably, now the ME sees him receive balls in to feet, hold off defenders much better, even chip balls over the backline for onrushing widemen. This is definitely something which never happened on 14.2.

And speaking of widemen, general ability to penetrate an opposition backline with a through pass seems to have been greatly enhanced and now players seem to accurately have the vision to create more chances in relation to their respective abilities. Widemen seem more attuned to running onto passes. Nor are they quite as easily able to smash low shots in at the near post, another boon for 14.3.

Negatives:

Not much. A 'perfect' ME is a pipe dream, but on the whole this update plays so much more efficiently than 14.2, and feels like it is heading to the level I personally felt FM12 was at. One big criticism, fullbacks still do a rubbish job at stopping crosses, often just standing off whilst the winger takes aim, even with settings adjusted to try and stop that happening.

General:

One aspect I do really appreciate on FM14 is the fact youngsters with talent are no longer picked up for pennies as previous, it is not as easy to fill youth squad with uber players. At least that is how I evaluate it at the start of season two, I hope it doesn't revert to type when more regens come into play.

I noticed a lot of goals after the last patch, something that had been rightly reduced in 14.2. have you noticed the same?

No, 14.2 was widely known for having lots of ridiculous results like 5-5 and whatnot. I haven't seen anything like that in 14.3. Although I have seen screenshots of 14.3 with scores like 8-4... It all depends on how often these occur.

Anyone experiencing defence problems since 14.3? I can't see the difference between wide and narrow play, through balls always come between the defenders. Also, CD-s tend to close down more, although I didn't touch individual closing down, and general pressing is set to Stand off more.

Deep, stand off - I expect to concede goals from distance or deep crosses on tall players, not some rubbish Ukrainian 2nd division side to play through my defence like Bayern.

So, no chance of 14.3.1?

Anyone experiencing defence problems since 14.3? I can't see the difference between wide and narrow play, through balls always come between the defenders. Also, CD-s tend to close down more, although I didn't touch individual closing down, and general pressing is set to Stand off more.

Deep, stand off - I expect to concede goals from distance or deep crosses on tall players, not some rubbish Ukrainian 2nd division side to play through my defence like Bayern.

So, no chance of 14.3.1?

If I were you, I would create a thread in the tactics forum. It does sound like you have a tactical issue, rather than a ME issue.

One thing i can't understand.

Why my wingers, everytime they reach the position for crossing, prefer to cross the ball outside the area to a midfielder instead of crossing to the forwards? I swear, i struggle to remember if once they served my striker...

So, when the opponents play on the wings like Real, also if it's Verona (bad thing) i think that maybe it's tactic.

What can i do?

Archived