FM06 vs FM07 vs FM08 - which is 'best'/would you like to play again?

FM06/FM07/FM08 - which is 'best'/would you like to play again?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. FM06/FM07/FM08 - which is 'best'/would you like to play again?

• Football Manager 2006
    • Football Manager 2007
    • Football Manager 2008

Hi folks,

I was going on one of my many nostalgia trips recently through the old FM collection and can categorically say the FM06-08 'era' to be my fave games in the series.

However, I'm unsure as to which of these 3 gems is truly the 'best' and worth investing the most time on, so I'm posing this perhaps ultimate of questions to you good people of the forums in hope this question will be answered once and for all. :)

There's also a possible stat update in the making for the 'winner' of this poll once I'm done with my current retro FM14 project, so all reasons and votes are greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

I voted FM2007 because I had a very fun save on their and FM 2006 I never played on much (had a bad performing computer around this time so played CM01/02 and when I got new pc FM2008 was out I think).

I did enjoy FM 2008 and would probably level it with FM 2007 but as I said 2007 gets my vote because of that save!

I voted FM2007 because I had a very fun save on their and FM 2006 I never played on much (had a bad performing computer around this time so played CM01/02 and when I got new pc FM2008 was out I think).

I did enjoy FM 2008 and would probably level it with FM 2007 but as I said 2007 gets my vote because of that save!

Thanks. :)

Yeah I'm sure alot of votes will be decided based on personal saves. My fave saves happened with these games (and CM 01-02), it's only natural. :)

I've played all 3 (and the rest! lol) quite religiously over the years and I see all the games in the series as having their own pros and cons, these 3 being no exception. But it's which game has the most pros really I just can't decide upon. :D

Thanks. :)

Yeah I'm sure alot of votes will be decided based on personal saves. My fave saves happened with these games (and CM 01-02), it's only natural. :)

I've played all 3 (and the rest! lol) quite religiously over the years and I see all the games in the series as having their own pros and cons, these 3 being no exception. But it's which game has the most pros really I just can't decide upon. :D

yeah there seem to be new features every year that make you think ''I'm not gonna play previous games anymore because of this feature not being there'' I occasionally load up some old FM's just to take a look at my saves and how the game has changed and such like :)

07 all the way!!

06 a close second, but where is 05?

This is just a poll/thread between these 3 games. I actually did a poll for 'best game in the series' a few months back but wanted more focused feedback/voting. :) If there's demand for it I may consider doing the best thread again now that FM '14 is in full swing.

I absolutely loved 08, had some awesome adventures on it, and was the first version of the game I had a truly long-term save... However, that long-term save also broke the game for me... Was doing a challenge in Hong Kong, and was into 2032 ish, having been insanely successful. A board takeover initiated, and I was rubbing my hands, thinking they would give me more cash and more money, but they sacked me. My record was something along the lines of 65% win rate, as it was so easy to build up a team with good newgens. I just couldnt bring myself to play it again after that...

I absolutely loved 08, had some awesome adventures on it, and was the first version of the game I had a truly long-term save... However, that long-term save also broke the game for me... Was doing a challenge in Hong Kong, and was into 2032 ish, having been insanely successful. A board takeover initiated, and I was rubbing my hands, thinking they would give me more cash and more money, but they sacked me. My record was something along the lines of 65% win rate, as it was so easy to build up a team with good newgens. I just couldnt bring myself to play it again after that...

Ouch! I don't blame ya mate, I'd be beyond miffed if that happened to me too! Kudos for investing so much time into one save too, I get bored of a save far too easily these days. :D

FM 11 was the first one I've played, FM always seemed too complex for me before I finally tried it

I urge you to try the older FM's if you can, the UI became more 'cluttered' from FM '09 onwards in my opinion, (albeit perhaps some respite with FM 2010) making the older versions more fluid and fun to play, at least that's my opinion like I say. :)

Why do we need to vote on versions that are hopelessly outdated and totally naff by FM14 standards. Nostalgia is one thing but pointless when things have moved on so far ??

If they were so hopelessly outdated people wouldnt still play them and they clearly wouldnt still be so popular..

This thread isn't meant to be a FM14 vs old FM debate, I enjoy playing FM14 still. I just appreciate what other games in the series offer, such as faster gameplay and more streamlined U.I.

I urge you to try the older FM's if you can, the UI became more 'cluttered' from FM '09 onwards in my opinion, (albeit perhaps some respite with FM 2010) making the older versions more fluid and fun to play, at least that's my opinion like I say. :)

I agree. While some think the older versions look dated, I disagree. Keeping things simple is a skill, unfortunately a skill which SI seem to have lost. FM13 & 14 look so cluttered to me. I've never liked menus which appear without a click either, much less control in my opinion.

It always amazes me how often they play with the interface. This sort of thing should only be changed once every 3 to 5 years in my opinion. Changing it year in year out is just gimmicky.

FM07 - FM12 were easier to navigate than the current offerings.

While I have a great Liverpool save on FM08 which I still play today, my vote goes to FM07.

That was the first FM that I really got into using the editor and a few of us made some amazing Australian leagues using Israel and other countries as the base. Spent many a train trip home mucking around in the editor for the whole hour on the trusty laptop.

Times have changed, no longer catch the train (benefit of being given a parking spot by work) and now have a family so don't have the hours to spend on the database anymore.

I think the reason is that they who played 2008, didn't play 2007 :D

Why SI games put optional dimensions of football terrain in that version? I don't get it what is interesting in that?!

There is a patch that turn pictures in 2007 to 180x180. Version is more fluent and only one thing that is better in '08 (my opinion) is regens facegen :)

For me I was all LMA, didn't have a PC at the time and played from the first LMA till the last and when I did finally get around to building a PC I purchased FM 08 and loaded it up. I soon turned it off after seeing how different the game was to LMA and I didn't play any more football games till FM12 when I thought if I don't try I will never learn and will miss out on the fun I use to have with LMA (taking teams from low leagues to the premiership and then dominating the league and Europe till the game ended (yes ended, friggin Codies for you) saying that I would normally only do 1 full career in each LMA because of the stupid automatic end game situation that couldn't be bye passed. This was the reason I picked up FM 08, a friend said how the game will never end and is far more indepth than LMA ever was, would and/or could be. Now in FM 14 I'm still very much learning and very much struggling to get an understanding of the tactics loosing to teams I should be winning again. But because FM08 was the first game I purchased I will have to vote for that game, if it was between FM12, 13 and 14 it would have been 13 because that's the game where I really started to invest many hours into the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

HI

I need a diablo / killer tactic for FM 2007!!!!I have tried a variety of team and individual settings but I can not figure how to do the one best tactic!I read that the Minimal Fuss had the best tactics for FM 2007 but the links are no longer active! I play on patch 7.0.2, will help someone!?

Usually in these polls, FM 2007 is way ahead (alongside CM 01/02 and whichever is the most recent FM). FM 06 is exactly the same as 07 but with a few less stuff, so that's not going to win.

I'm still playing FM 2007 and have just gone past 100 days playing time (if I played the same amount that I've played without breaks it would take over 100 days).

I've been playing it since 2007 or so, and have had no reason to stop.

For me, it's FM06 because I had a 2 player save file that me and my buddy played whilst procrastinating at college. With Arsenal and Chelsea we shared the Premier League / Champions League in virtually every season up to 2020 and had a bitter rivalry - often deciding the title on which of us would win our head to head games.

I recall having a random amount of Ghanain youth team players, so put it upon myself to train them up and make Ghana a force to be reckoned with - but alas, I got sacked around 2018 in attempting to do so and consequently the save never quite felt the same.

I went back and played FM06 a few weeks a go after finding the CD laying around. It WAS a great game but put it next to FM14 and you see how far the game has come :) I thought 08 was the best of the three mentioned here.

Archived