Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

I see some posting about the fullbacks making tackles in the match and we would see them if we watch an entire match.

I do not disagree with that, although I will not be watching a full match anytime soon as it just is not feasible for me.

What it does say is that the ratings for the fullbacks are really broken as there is no way they should be getting such low ratings match after match, it is quite bad that this is the release match engine version and can't help but think there will be quite a lot of fallout on these forums over it, is a real shame as if the transfer bug and the fullbacks got sorted it could have been a somewhat smooth release.

What I am seeing of my fullbacks is they are generally playing well enough, setting up attacks and I do see them making some tackles even on extended highlights, if those tackles are even more in the full game then there really is no reason why my assistant is telling me to sub them after 25-30 minutes every other game.

It's not the tackling that ruins it for me. My limited experience of 14.1.1 is that full backs just reuses to mark opposition AMR/L even set to man Mark that specific player.

Not an issue against a 442 but I constantly get ripped apart from out wide against 433 or 4231. Fullbacks aren't even goal side let alone marking who I've told them to.

Totally ruined the game for me. Shame really as it has the potential to be a great version.

First year ever I won't be rushing home from work as early as possible to play on release day which has ruined a bit of the magic for me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can, it'd be great if you could raise this in the Match Engine bugs forum, ideally with a pkm. Forum can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/347-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

PKM details can be found in our FTP details here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/363153

Sorry Neil, I have played 2 games since this game and saved twice. Will I still be able to log it with the relevant details?

I'm playing FMC, does this matter?

I don't understand, will there be a patch out? Should I wait to start a new game?

Nobody knows. The ME will be the same. Everything else is not confirmed in either way.

This is the unfortunate nature of highlights. The underlying point that Dagenham_Dave makes is a very good one.

If you spend the time to watch a few matches in full, or at least on comprehensive, you will see defenders tackling, you will see then blocking crosses.

The more abbreviated the highlights mode, the more likely it is that you pretty much just see goal scoring opportunities - this will inevitably include instances where the defender fails to engage on a cross.

Key Highlights gives a very Match Of The Day interpretation of a match and it can be far removed from what you actually see if you go and watch the game in the flesh.

It's the exact same thing as people posting outlying matches with 50 shots - it is an exception and not a rule.

I think you are teaching your grandmother to suck eggs in regards the highlights.

Let me put it this way if I watch Match of the Day, let’s say Man U vs Arsenal, I would expect to see during those highlights several crosses from the by-line that resulted in goal mouth action of the sort that I would expect to see in extended highlight mode on FM, I would not expect all of these crosses to be uncontested by a defender, now one or two perhaps, maybe because the attacker has more pace than the defender and can get clear before crossing but most successful crosses would occur because the attacker is either strong enough or has good enough technique to hold the defender off and get his cross away. In this ME highlighted by-line crosses are uncontested, the attacker is not holding off the defender and making the cross, he is standing in a yard or two of free space because the defenders seem to stop and allow the attacker that space. Fortunately not all crosses result in goals, most don’t, the defending is now better and whether or not the attacker has the space to make the cross his skill level still effects how good the cross is.

I’m sure what we are all after is as much realism as the game can offer, so let’s get it as good as we can. Simply put it doesn’t matter if it’s only happening in the extended highlights because even in extended highlight mode crosses from the by-line should still mostly be contested by the defender as they are in real life.

does anyone know what happens if you pre-ordered from Amazon? they say my game package arrives here tomorrow in the post, will I need the code from the physical copy to upgrade to the full game or will that automatically happen anyway and I have the physical copy as a backup? or will it update to the full game but only for so long unless I put the disc in or summat?

Have you checked recently? I had 2 keys listed next to FM14 when I checked about 2 hours ago, one for BETA and one for the full game (although it doesn't say which one is which).
Yes just checked. Pressed on my username, clicked games and next to FM 2014, only one key appears.

I have one but it's the one I used for beta. Is it going to change?

I don't think so. I think once you've unlocked your game on Steam, be it the beta or whatnot, that's it sorted. Most likely will just update to the full version when the time comes.

Yes just checked. Pressed on my username, clicked games and next to FM 2014, only one key appears.

I'm not sure then, maybe they are still updating everyone's account one by one. I'd email them if you still don't have it at 11pm.

thanks for that

No problem.

I don't think so. I think once you've unlocked your game on Steam, be it the beta or whatnot, that's it sorted. Most likely will just update to the full version when the time comes.

I had a second product key from GreenManGaming. It might be different if you ordered from elsewhere but I doubt it.

I don't post often, but can someone answer something plain and simply please.

Is there currently an issue with defences dropping far too deep, as if having their own private party with the goalkeeper?

Thanks in advance.

There are issues with defending, which are all being looked at currently.

There seems to be too much important on the team training. I've had 'Defending' set as the default team training all season; we've never conceded more than one goal in a game. For one week I set it to 'Ball Control', then we instantly concede three times in one match. I've put it back to 'Defending' because I'm scared to take it off!

Some of the poor decisions i am finding happening which shouldn't be happening are :-

-Free kicks on the half way being knocked towards small players rather than a simple short option

-Simple 5 yard pass being ignored for a blind switch of play (Gerrard facing right and instead of playing a ball simply to Lucas 5 yards away he swivels and pings a cross field ball straight to a defender )

-Headers at goal being attempted from 15 or so yards rather than either bringing the ball down (which has been an option once or twice) or heading it into a more dangerous area for another player to attack

-Attacker trying to win a corner by simply passing the ball towards the opponent. I have no problems with players attempting to do this but when they do it they should be done in a way so that if they fail to get the defender then the ball will fizz into the box or so that they have a chance of getting around the defender if they knock it past them. Simply passing the ball and then standing there shouldn't happen (this is re-occurring from FM 13

- Players not going towards the ball more. A few times my winger has got down the wing and past the full back and then pulls a ball back central and where the player should be running onto it they stand waiting which either means it's intercepted or the attack loses a bit of speed

I have to say though i am loving the game this year. The match engine is the best ever by miles in opinion and although i'm finding it difficult to get my tactics working atm i really am enjoying the game so much :)

Has my team just gone to pot? 32 games in top of table playing some top football with Manchester City, yeah I'm losing games but the stats are looking good player ratings very good and I'm 3 points ahead of Chelsea.

Last night and tonight tho my tactics have just gone to pot I'm getting dominated most games and stealing draws and wins still but the highlights are 90% opposition chances and possession. My players are barely getting over a 7.0 in any match most players under 6.5 Sergio Aguero who was at 21 goals in 29 games hasn't had a rating over 6.0 for 8 games :/

I don't get it and it's very frustrating i had three tactics to keep things fresh a home tactic and away tactic and an away tactic against elite teams like Chelsea, United and Arsenal etc. All have stopped working when they were previously fine.

Is this simply a realistic slump or has something changed in the game and i need to remake all my tactics something i did over two starter saves when the beta first game out to get the hang of things. I can't handle teams like Everton have 25 plus shots at the Etihad while Aguero misses multiple one on one's.

I stick with it but i was wondering has anyone else's season gone to pot I'd only lost once in the first 30 games in all comps now I'm drawing nearly every game 0-0 after shocking first halfs for the team to perk up in the second after an aggressive teamtalk to miss chance after chance. I've never seen a game where both teams have 25 or more shots lol.

• Administrators
There seems to be too much important on the team training. I've had 'Defending' set as the default team training all season; we've never conceded more than one goal in a game. For one week I set it to 'Ball Control', then we instantly concede three times in one match. I've put it back to 'Defending' because I'm scared to take it off!

Coincidence.

• SI Staff
can someone explain to me why only user's game stats are flawed... when i take a look at ai vs ai, stats seem to be ok! (shots etc.) why??? i#m confused... :confused:

Tactical presumably.....

can never get the goalkeeper to pass short from goal kick despite very clear instructions, partly because none of the defenders come deep and make themselves available for a pass. Any way to solve this?

Good coaching then! :D

Thanks. I studied at the same school as Moyes.

can never get the goalkeeper to pass short from goal kick despite very clear instructions, partly because none of the defenders come deep and make themselves available for a pass. Any way to solve this?

Same. Although I can never get my player to come short.

Has my team just gone to pot? 32 games in top of table playing some top football with Manchester City, yeah I'm losing games but the stats are looking good player ratings very good and I'm 3 points ahead of Chelsea.

Last night and tonight tho my tactics have just gone to pot I'm getting dominated most games and stealing draws and wins still but the highlights are 90% opposition chances and possession. My players are barely getting over a 7.0 in any match most players under 6.5 Sergio Aguero who was at 21 goals in 29 games hasn't had a rating over 6.0 for 8 games :/

I don't get it and it's very frustrating i had three tactics to keep things fresh a home tactic and away tactic and an away tactic against elite teams like Chelsea, United and Arsenal etc. All have stopped working when they were previously fine.

Is this simply a realistic slump or has something changed in the game and i need to remake all my tactics something i did over two starter saves when the beta first game out to get the hang of things. I can't handle teams like Everton have 25 plus shots at the Etihad while Aguero misses multiple one on one's.

I stick with it but i was wondering has anyone else's season gone to pot I'd only lost once in the first 30 games in all comps now I'm drawing nearly every game 0-0 after shocking first halfs for the team to perk up in the second after an aggressive teamtalk to miss chance after chance. I've never seen a game where both teams have 25 or more shots lol.

The same thing exactly happened to me. I play Juventus, i was doing great in the Serie A and UCL and after the last patch everything went to hell. I got knocked out of UCL from a group with Newcastle and Celtic. Nothing seems to be working. I concede a lot, from EVERY team i play against, and i score extremelly little. Llorente hasn't scored in at least 10 games. If I continue to play i will be surely sacked. This is not cool. Just undo whatever you tried to do last patch. It was a mistake

Just wondering if this issue has been logged?

An attacking player is in the opposition box, he is either left or right of the goal and for some reason it seems he has all the time in the world, he very slowly makes his way over with no defender putting pressure on him and when the defenders finally wake up it is too late as he has pulled the trigger and has scored what seems to be a very very easy goal.

Is quite annoying to see, regardless if it is for or against me.

Archived