FM2014 Pre-Release Beta *UPDATE* Feedback thread

please ignore my previous post about admin at Coventry, I've gone forward a week and all is now correct (i didn't notice that the new board was reviewing my performance)... now time to spend some money with the city :) :) :)

Can you now renew contracts aswel? Please say you can I really want to start a save with Cov but I'm being scared off by potential bugs.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you now renew contracts aswel? Please say you can I really want to start a save with Cov but I'm being scared off by potential bugs.

Just do it for God's sake, if you're scared off by "potential" bugs you'll never ever play a game :D

Im playing as ICT in the Scottish Premiership and the amount of transfers out to English premiership teams is unreal and the values are extremley unrealistic i have made 3m from selling 2 players so far and lots of other teams have also profited massivley.

Anyone else finding this?

Just do it for God's sake, if you're scared off by "potential" bugs you'll never ever play a game :D

Fair enough saying that but my game time is precious and don't want to play a season just for half my squad to walk on frees cus I can only offer them £90 a week.

I've seen a few complain about the defending I just wanted to know if anyone else suffers from bad defending, I leak goals left, right & centre I've only played 13 games inthe league and I've conceded 28 goals, I wondered if its my tactics but I was wondering if anyone else suffers from this ?

I've seen a few complain about the defending I just wanted to know if anyone else suffers from bad defending, I leak goals left, right & centre I've only played 13 games inthe league and I've conceded 28 goals, I wondered if its my tactics but I was wondering if anyone else suffers from this ?

You need to change a tactic to play more possession football.. Defence is now really OP, so bad teams can play really well and deadly with counterattacks.. If you played FM13 during its days, you must remember that..

Defending is now very robust, a real step up from the initial Beta.

Centre backs actually defend now, but my full backs seem to be useless. They close down but don't actually tackle. 12 out of the last 14 goals against me have been assisted from either flank. The oppositions wingers just glide past my full backs, whip a cross in and goal.

Same thing happened to me more than once.

Against Swansea, My LB causes a penalty, and his man scored also 2 more goals later. I lost 1-3. He did't score or asist. At the end of the match his rating was 7.5 ???

How come that after TWO patches the GK distribution is still broken?

It's such a key part of the game, and yet we have no way to tell our defenders to cover back to help the keeper pass the ball to a defender rather than hoofing it helplessly to the nearest opposing attacker. I'm almost physically disgusted about it not being fixed as it's such an integral part of the game.

More things not being fixed even though it has been pointed out several times by customers more diligent and patient than I:

- Widgets are still broken as well. How can it be broken in the first place? You fixed it in FM3 after endless months of sporadic patching.

- I'm pretty sure shouts doesn't work at all when applied mid match.

- When doing team talks at half time there is no way to see my players position, in case I want to make a half time substitution, other than leaving the screen. Why is that?

- There seems to be no pop-up hint explaining what the shortened words mean in match statistic during a match. (

- There is still a huge amount of errors in the Danish translation which render it virtually impossible to understand what you guys are trying to tell me at time. Honestly, a lot of the text seems to have been run trough Google Translate and nothing else.

- There is a plethora of shots wide of goals in most of my matches (20-30 a match some times). A big part of that comes from the atrocious gk distribution giving opposing team clear run throughs which they often will blast wide or high.

I for one sure hope that you guys are able to fix the faults mentioned above. Any way, I'm cancelling my pre-order the minute I see the retail version still having these issues. I hope I'm not alone in that regard.

I have to agree about the player ratings being overpowered. I just lost 3-0 in a game that wasn't that close (opponents had 19 shots, 7 on target, 58% possession to my 7 shots, 2 on target and 42% possession) and got the following ratings:

DR - 7.1

DL - 7.0

DM - 7.5

MC - 7.0

AMR - 7.9

DC (on in 57') - 7.1

DMC/MC (on in 2') - 7.1

(tbf, both starting centerbacks were right around 6.0, so maybe it was just them)

I get a recurring crash now, too, while trying to hire a coach...

Sigh... thought I could finally start playing...

Will upload it

EDIT: Ok I just noticed that this is already logged in and caused by me being at an italian club... :/

I have had this twice. Started as AS Roma, tried to sign a coach, crash dump. Reloaded, again as AS Roma, tried to sign a coach and again a crash dump. You're probably right and it is something to do with Italian clubs

You reckon? I'm of the opinion they've not done a damn thing with the defending.

Yes, I reckon. It is enormously different to the original Beta in my opinion.

What specifically do you think is wrong?

Sorry, but no.. Still lots of CCC created during games but finishing is BAD..very bad.

Remind me what finishing has to do with defending.

I spent days to set a proper tactic for realistic defending. Last night I found a real balance between scoring, defending and set pieces.

And I finally started to enjoy.

After the last update, in my first match against Chelsea, Willian started to cut inside from the rightback of his area, dribble nearly 60 meters, scored by a place shot.

I count 6 of my men watching Willian's one man show.

After a little while, as soon as Coutinho started to dribble from left flank, Azpilicueta tackled perfectly (which my players can't), Gerrard won the ball again, play through to Benteke.

He was in one on one situation. Suddenly he slowed down and nearly stopped. Goalkeeper came and collected the ball from my players foot esaily.

Benteke was still waiting there when I was ALT + F4ing.

My nightmares came back with this update. Just give our players the capabilities of AI team players for now.

Wow my tactic has now turned to crap.

Only lost 2 games in 28 and was strolling to success in the Skrill North, after the patch nothing is going right, I have lost 4 drawn 2 and managed to somehow win one.

I am dumbfounded as to what I should do, I can normally sort my team out pretty quick but my latest result of 2-5 against 1 of the bottom teams really has me struggling.

We can still dominate games but with no luck, at first I sort of shrugged and said "meh 1 of those things" but I can not believe how bad it is getting, I have never seen such a change.

This could be a case of just letting the game lie until final release, I am at a total loss how a team that was so good has turned into something so terrible, it does not even feel like the same save.

How come that after TWO patches the GK distribution is still broken?

IIRC somewhere on this thread or other thread - the issue has been fixed but missed the cut for deadline. So it's already been fixed but will be revealed on the official release of FM14.

I am seeing my opposition create hardly any chances. In our 4 competitive games we've conceded:

3 shots (1 CCC)

6 shots (0 CCCs)

4 shots (0 CCCs)

1 shot (0 CCCs)

There is nothing wrong with defending, perhaps the attacking side needs refinement?

The defensive side of the game has, in my eyes, irrefutably improved with the latest update.

Only lost 2 games in 28 and was strolling to success in the Skrill North, after the patch nothing is going right, I have lost 4 drawn 2 and managed to somehow win one.

I am dumbfounded as to what I should do, I can normally sort my team out pretty quick but my latest result of 2-5 against 1 of the bottom teams really has me struggling.

We can still dominate games but with no luck, at first I sort of shrugged and said "meh 1 of those things" but I can not believe how bad it is getting, I have never seen such a change.

This could be a case of just letting the game lie until final release, I am at a total loss how a team that was so good has turned into something so terrible, it does not even feel like the same save.

I've found the same, my record in the 10 games prior to the update was 5 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses. In the 10 games since the update its 1 win, 3 draws, 6 losses.

I have absolutely no idea why things have changed so much, but I won't bother trying to figure it out now until release - after spending hours setting up the team and tactics to get them performing decently in the first place I just don't have the energy to do all that again when it could all change just as quickly yet again with the next patch!

The AI cannot do anything that you can't.

I'm not sure if any player in any of your teams in the forum did what Willian did in my save.

AI is capable of positioning, marking, defending, dribbling, sudden acceleration, completing clear chances, shooting with power on target etc.

the real problem is WE can't do what AI can do.

I am seeing my opposition create hardly any chances. In our 4 competitive games we've conceded:

3 shots (1 CCC)

6 shots (0 CCCs)

4 shots (0 CCCs)

1 shot (0 CCCs)

There is nothing wrong with defending, perhaps the attacking side needs refinement?

The defensive side of the game has, in my eyes, irrefutably improved with the latest update.

I would have to disagree, my teams defending is simply terrible since the update, I am seeing better tackles but on a whole the defending is shocking.

I may upload a goal to youtube soon that shows just how bad it can be, I say may as I am still busy trying to figure out where it is all went wrong with my team.

- There is still a huge amount of errors in the Danish translation which render it virtually impossible to understand what you guys are trying to tell me at time. Honestly, a lot of the text seems to have been run trough Google Translate and nothing else.

- There is a plethora of shots wide of goals in most of my matches (20-30 a match some times). A big part of that comes from the atrocious gk distribution giving opposing team clear run throughs which they often will blast wide or high.

I for one sure hope that you guys are able to fix the faults mentioned above. Any way, I'm cancelling my pre-order the minute I see the retail version still having these issues. I hope I'm not alone in that regard.

If you know and understand the word plethora why don't you just play the game in English? :)

I would have to disagree, my teams defending is simply terrible since the update, I am seeing better tackles but on a whole the defending is shocking.

I may upload a goal to youtube soon that shows just how bad it can be, I say may as I am still busy trying to figure out where it is all went wrong with my team.

I'm seeing better engagement out wide and better tracking back from midfield.

The stats I quote are from my game and are not fabrications.

The difference between yesterday and today's Beta for me are day and night, I'm genuinely intrigued to hear what people think is still not right defensively.

Isn't your team in one of the lower leagues in England? The defending SHOULD be shocking!

No it should not, the defending should be on par to the attacking, while it is a poor league the defending should not always be to blame for goals scored.

I'm seeing better engagement out wide and better tracking back from midfield.

The stats I quote are from my game and are not fabrications.

The difference between yesterday and today's Beta for me are day and night, I'm genuinely intrigued to hear what people think is still not right defensively.

I am playing lower league so that may be a factor.

The mistakes being made by my defense is quite unbelievable, I am seeing sliding tackles but mostly in midfield, the ones I do see in defense end up with the ball going to the attacking side.

Goals being scored against me since the patch are a bit nuts, I had 1 goal against me were the ball was played down the left hand side and I had a player tracking back with the attacking player, I could not believe my eyes when my player just ran away from the player and moved into the centre, he just left the player to chase the ball all by himself, it was quite unbelievable to see, I will upload it later.

It just not feel like the same save anymore, from a team that was winning, I have even said in this forum, winning maybe too easy, we are now a team that would struggle to even finish above the relegation.

I had 1 goal against me were the ball was played down the left hand side and I had a player tracking back with the attacking player, I could not believe my eyes when my player just ran away from the player and moved into the centre, he just left the player to chase the ball all by himself, it was quite unbelievable to see, I will upload it later.

That example would be really useful to post with a .pkm in the Bugs forum.

When you were succeeding, it is not inconceivable that you were exploiting an issue with the first Beta.

Now that things have firmed up, perhaps your route to success has been blocked.

Defender, even with tight marking instructions and drop even deeper instructions, are still ball watching and being caught ten yard upfield from their mark. So, no change there. Three saves, twelve games each, still averaging conceding three goals a game. That's what I was conceding before the save.

3 shots (1 CCC)

6 shots (0 CCCs)

4 shots (0 CCCs)

1 shot (0 CCCs)

Even though I'm playing with Portsmouth, I think it's quite hard to both score and concede. Could do with some tweaking I think.

Defender, even with tight marking instructions and drop even deeper instructions, are still ball watching and being caught ten yard upfield from their mark. So, no change there. Three saves, twelve games each, still averaging conceding three goals a game. That's what I was conceding before the save.

Dare I suggest that it might be a tactical issue?

To concede three per game on average is not necessarily a symptom of a poor ME.

Are you a very poor team in an otherwise strong league?

I am playing lower league so that may be a factor.

The mistakes being made by my defense is quite unbelievable, I am seeing sliding tackles but mostly in midfield, the ones I do see in defense end up with the ball going to the attacking side.

Goals being scored against me since the patch are a bit nuts, I had 1 goal against me were the ball was played down the left hand side and I had a player tracking back with the attacking player, I could not believe my eyes when my player just ran away from the player and moved into the centre, he just left the player to chase the ball all by himself, it was quite unbelievable to see, I will upload it later.

It just not feel like the same save anymore, from a team that was winning, I have even said in this forum, winning maybe too easy, we are now a team that would struggle to even finish above the relegation.

Unless you have the cream of the EPL back line as your defence, you have four concussed spaniels. I realise it's still beta, but I'm wondering if they even know what the real issue is with what's going on with the defending. The supposed fix hasn't stopped defenders from just wandering around in a daze.

When you were succeeding, it is not inconceivable that you were exploiting an issue with the first Beta.

Now that things have firmed up, perhaps your route to success has been blocked.

Yeah I agree this could be the case, the only problem for me is seeing where that is/was.

I am clear enough that I will still win the league but I can not for the life of me see where the problem is, I can still dominate the game, I just can not win the game, most of the time I am sitting tearing my hair out as to why we lost.

It is quite unclear at the moment, even the 2-5 loss I can not say we were that bad, it is just very unclear.

I will more than likely just get to the end of the season and after promotion start again with a new tactic, by then I would imagine the game is near to release so will start the new season with a new tactic.

Just so many new things to tend to this year as a lower league manager, the finances, the entire team on 1 year contracts changing tactics every time is just 1 thing too much atm.

I am beginning to think Miles hates us lower league managers. :)

Dare I suggest that it might be a tactical issue?

To concede three per game on average is not necessarily a symptom of a poor ME.

Are you a very poor team in an otherwise strong league?

Three saves. Valencia, Dundee Utd, and Tranmere Rov, None of whom are whipping boys. 4-1-4-1 formation with a eye towards defending downloaded from FMBASE that was well reviewed. I arranged friendlies against both strong and weak teams. The goals against were all players simply either yards away from where they should be, or simply running away from attackers dribbling with the ball. Now if there's a tactical instruction that tells a full back not to run towards the halfway line when the opposition winger is already behind them, I'll click that box.

Sweeper keeper doesn't sweep at all, they just stand at their goal like normal ones. And I hit a crossbar at least once per game, it's so annoying (just like in FM13). And already mentioned bad defender AI, they just follow wide players and do nothing.

I dont understand how people can go crazy when there tactic turns to crap when the patch comes out. Why not obviously start from scratch and re-create the tactic, as obviously he weaknesses you 'exploited' before are now gone, and the players you control now

react in a way that you have more 'control' than you did before.

I hope SI release a semi patch-pre patch beat patch patch, just to smarten up the game before the final release

wishful thinking

anyways. Im enjoying my 2nd season league 1 2nd place portsmouth save in November. Loving it

Something that may be highly relevant is the number of fixes made on AI Team Selection.

It was found that AI teams were regularly making very poor choices, playing people out of position, having poor role to player match ups, so they'd pick a player to play at FC when he would have been better as an AMR, whereas the selected AMR would be perfect at FC, and even leaving players more suited to roles on the bench or not in the squad. Likewise, they had too great a tendency to play very tired players when fully fit and good for the required role players were available.

A lot of work has gone into fixing this, which means AI teams will be somewhere between a little to significantly stronger as a result. I'd expect selection logic to be even better in the full game.

Archived