Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

aww why was my ironical comical post removed about the broken match engine, while it in actual fact was real life footage showing all the exact mistakes (keepers not moving, easy through ball, strikers missing CCC' etc) many around here moan about towards SI? :) I had so much fun in writing down the commentary.

Ah well......

Anyways, anyone that did in fact watch the Ajax vs PSV match: we can all see how incredible the mistakes are even between the two best clubs in Holland. I have seen them in the ME almost in the exact same way.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About this, I find unrealistic my gk covers usually around 1,5 km in a match. I believe he can barely cover around 7-800 meters.

Mean total distance covered by the EPL goalkeeper during the match (2008) was 5 611+/-613 m. Di Salvo V, Benito PJ, Calderón FJ, Di Salvo M, Pigozzi F. - Activity profile of elite goalkeepers during football match-play. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. 2008 Dec;48(4):443-6.

aww why was my ironical comical post removed about the broken match engine, while it in actual fact was real life footage showing all the exact mistakes (keepers not moving, easy through ball, strikers missing CCC' etc) many around here moan about towards SI? :) I had so much fun in writing down the commentary.

Ah well......

Anyways, anyone that did in fact watch the Ajax vs PSV match: we can all see how incredible the mistakes are even between the two best clubs in Holland. I have seen them in the ME almost in the exact same way.

Would have stayed if every second word didn't break the forum rules, sadly it wasn't the case :/

Would have stayed if every second word didn't break the forum rules, sadly it wasn't the case :/

Haha you mean the "swearing". Yeah usually is not my style either. Just thought it would show very nicely how people might indeed look at the footage. Would gladly offer a gentle re

write it that would help the cause :) Hoped everyone would have seen the irony in it, even with the language.

Edit: if you could at least be so kind to put the post back up I will more than happily edit it and with my sincere apologies if anyone was offended by the language (which mainly looked like this f****).

Dear SI, can you please look at this footage of the ME between my team (PSV) and Ajax, played on december 1th 2012. This must clearly prove that the ME is completely broken:

[video=youtube_share;0RBbESMb9q8]http://youtu.be/0RBbESMb9q8

My thought process during this match:

From 0.06 to 0.12:

Hmmzz another one of those through balls and yet again the midfielders and defenders are not pressing or tackling. But wait, let's see what Lens is doing...... wooooowwww what a goal by Lens. This is amazing, as always my strikers score the most amazing goals but can not seem to score a CCC. Ah well, 1-1. Yeah PSV!! :)

From 0.17-0.23

And another one..... look at that SI, clearly another example of a through ball being passed through that gaping hole between the two central defenders who just stand there as if they are discussing dinner plans for this evening.

But let's focus on Lens now...... run Lens, run like the wind, you can do it.... shoot it Lens shoot it. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, what did I tell you... a CCC is always missed. No matter how good the striker, such CCC's are always missed in this ME. SI please fix it, give me the patch. I want it now!! I want my striker to act like one!

Shall we make a bet now, let's bet Ajax will now score against me a minute later. AI teams always do.

From 0.27 to 0.35 (and indeed a minute later in the match)

Ah you see there we go, Ajax is attacking. Wing back don't just stand there and track and trace Fisscher (Ajax's AML), do not let him get past you...DO something pleaseeee... and what is the DC doing, are you playing football or innocently standing by. Noooooo Ajax is in front again. I hate this game, i sincerely hate it. This ME can not get any worse :(

From 0.38 to 0.46 and yes the ME can get worse:

Ahh no00 what are my DC and my AML doing now?? Are you kidding me? My goodness jolly, are they ping pong heading the ball between each other and ending in a through ball towards my goal for Ajax?? This can not be happening, this is so unrealistic, noooo somebody stop Fisscher, please goalkeeper do no stand there, stop him, dive in front of him, make him laugh.....dance the jiggle. Nooooo 3-1 Ajax. *I tear out my hair"

I can not take this anymore... I need some fresh air, I can not think clearly.... need to smash something.... and then all blackness.

again: this post is not meant to offend anyone. Just trying to make people laugh around here and also trying to balance the negativity surrounding this ME. As you can all see in this footage as you will in so many matches, things that seem unrealistic and buggy actually do happen quite a lot in real life. Even between good teams like Ajax and PSV. I have seen the whole match and could easily have show more footage with just the weirdest decisions.

Cheers everyone and I hope you will chuckle.

It's not unplayable but there are some very frustrating things that go on :

***My earlier posted video with my keeper Jussi Jääskeläinen slipping over was very bizarre and I note I am not the only one it's happened to. However I then gave a run to Stephen Henderson and his stats are not too far removed from Jääskeläinen's yet oh dear he was not the best. Literally threw two in one game and dropped two corners in the next game and this is with adequate handling stats. So I flogged him and Man Utd bizarrely bought him!!

***Goals for both sides are too similar with pretty much always being a through ball through the middle of two statuesque centre backs. I'm not complaining because I get a fair few that way but it's odd because I don't actually play through the middle!!! It's actually made worse that "pace stats" don't seem to be taken into consideration. Michael Owen for instance seems to be in a time warp and outpaces everything!! Haven't seen goals from crosses whereas pre patch there were a few. The lack of variety in goals and I say again both human and AI are very disappointing.

***Throw in's I must agree with. Too many are just given away. I have tried them on short with palyers coming short but my full back just launches it straight to an opposition player.

***The ball dynamics are just strange at times. It's like someone has one of those joke balls with a ball bearing in it making it wobble all over the place. Someone made a comparison with a beach ball which is fair. Far too small as well.

***Wing play is poor. My wide men do quite well in the AML and AMR slots but I want them to defend as well so Have them RM and LM and they don't really add much to an attack and I played a whole season with mixed crossing and Andy Carroll up top and I cannot remember one cross reaching him!!

***Too few shots although that could be my tactics!

***One think not ME related is the DOF. Not a bad addition but I do wish there was an option for Managers to finalise transfers and loans out like you do with transfers and loans in because I don't trust him very much. At the start of the Summer window he decides to loan out Ravel Morrison - AGAIN -. I take Morrison off the loan list but it still goes through on a non recall loan which is very frustrating.

But there are a lot of good points. Central Midfielders defend better in FM13 although they could be a bit better. Players do create some nice build up and you can't win by going gung ho which is a good addition although it does make trying to get a goal back a bit of a lottery but I guess it is IRL.

I do wish though the FM Classic skin was skin for the main game!!!

Now my thoughts on the match-engine problems et al;

The set-piece creator simply refuses to work as instructed, if I set corners, free kicks and throw-ins to short the ME appears to overrule.

Goalkeeper distribution is also similarly ignored, resulting in GK passing success of around 40-50%,

Throw-ins regularly being directed at opposing players.

Players dancing along the length of the goal line before ignoring the cut back to the well placed team-mate and shooting instead,

Players regularly launching long-balls whilst mentality is set to low and passing short, and when I say launching I mean in no relation to where team-mates are positioned.

Players passing backwards when 6yards out and an obvious shooting opportunity arises also players passing back to the GK when in the opposing teams half.

Defenders either ignoring opposing players or on masse running after one player with no thought to other opposing players and the space left.

Just some plain weird AI all over the pitch at times,

There are many more concerns but if most of the above could be rectified I'd be a happier man,

The next highlight box during a match and the need for any analysis of a previous game to generate a match report are steps backward also in my opinion and often details are lost, such as players names, but hey ho I could live with that if a proper manual with a full explanation of the sliders and tactical nuances were supplied with the game.

Sort most of that out and I'd be mostly happy

Ok then,

From having seen the ME now from both sides of the coin i can honestly say im really enjoying it now.

Dont get me wrong nothing has changed in terms of the flaws with the ME, i just dont see them anywhere near as often now, due to a fundamental change in tactics... (it shouldnt be the case but hey, i really really dont want to moan, i just want to enjoy the game.

I suspect that this is the case with a lot of people also.

In terms of actual feedback.

Other than the obvious obvious bugs i dont feel that some of the ME related stuff itself is unrealistic,

Goalkeepers Do make mistakes

Defenders Do make mistakes

People do get injured

People do get sent off

People do conceed and score freak goals.

Where i personally think the ME falls down, and to be honest this may well not be an ME issue at all, it could well be some other factor im not intelligent enough to understand, is that quantity of these "errors"..

As said everything is ok in moderation its just the sheer qty of these errors/mistakes which i find unrealistic.

That said im a villa fan, so i see 90 minutes of errors like these every week.......

Forget it im clearly talking out my backside.. :)

I didn't want to end my disappointing season on a high and win my cup final anyway...

Two great assists by my defenders here. Paloschi scored a couple of goals, both assisted by my defenders. Fantastic stuff. I'm not sure what aspect of my tactics caused my players to pass to the Milan players for them to score, perhaps someone could shed some light? I'm not playing out of defence, I've told them to get the ball forward and clear to flanks, but both times it has gone embarrassingly wrong. My Left back tackles their player, runs into my own area to setup Paloschi, then rather than head backwards, my CD heads the ball to Paloschi for him to score his second and win the cup for Milan.

Perhaps they're playing for a transfer to Milan in the summer, who knows. At least we're having fun.

KUTGW.

My defenders usually pass back to the keeper, the times i saw this behaviour of passing between defenders in the area i was playing "Defending" style.

I hate it ... The Players are just waiting til they get tackled .. And the last Penalty i got was happened before the Patch ... Way too many own goals . Its just pi***** me of atm...

Strikers running into the Box .. and then they get slower and loose the ball . It is just not realistic to loose games cuz of that .. C Benitez just got the ball 3 meters in front of the goal . And he passed back to midfield .. (NO Defenders arround)

Has anyone got any actual ME Feedback, or is it just pointless bickering?

Anyway, noticed crosses seem to constantly land in the same spot at the far posts, will upload some PKMs promptly, but it feels like crossing accuracy was just slightly overnerfed ( i say slightly because crossing isnt all that effective IRL anyway)

Yeah the crossing to the back post needs sorting, i dont think its so much about the winger being able to finish, but more as to why the ball is always crossed to him rather than the strikers in middle. I have Andy Carol in the SPL, i want every single high ball aimed at his head, never mind my winger coming in at the back post :D

while i think this patch is a great step forward, i still find the following things annoying/need sorting:

1) i have a created striker with 20 finished, 16 composure, good decisions, technique etc and yet he seems to be the worst striker on my team, the amount of chances he misses, including open goals from 5 yards

2) goalkeepers getting beaten at their near post, they seem to let wingers cut into the box, across the byline and hoof it in from a yard out

3) defending through balls still seems dodgy, easily the most consistent way i concede goals

4) players sometimes just head the ball out of play when there are no other players around them and the ball is in the air

5) why do youth players ask for so much money, a 16 year old asked for 25k a week, who would do that?

6) goalkeepers seem to dive before the shot has been taken

i think its going in the right direction and is now actually playable with out being infuriating but think there is much more to do, hopeful of another patch soon

while i think this patch is a great step forward, i still find the following things annoying/need sorting:

1) i have a created striker with 20 finished, 16 composure, good decisions, technique etc and yet he seems to be the worst striker on my team, the amount of chances he misses, including open goals from 5 yards

2) goalkeepers getting beaten at their near post, they seem to let wingers cut into the box, across the byline and hoof it in from a yard out

3) defending through balls still seems dodgy, easily the most consistent way i concede goals

4) players sometimes just head the ball out of play when there are no other players around them and the ball is in the air

5) why do youth players ask for so much money, a 16 year old asked for 25k a week, who would do that?

i think its going in the right direction and is now actually playable with out being infuriating but think there is much more to do, hopeful of another patch soon

Pretty much agree with all of that,add the throw ins which are pretty poor,not sure why my players seem to like to throw it to the opposing side a lot of the time and set up a goal chance,it would be better if there was going to be a chance then just give the throw in to them,it would make better viewing,it does balance itself out but still horrible to watch.

Also the keepers running to the sideline to get the ball,there is no pressure and they have a lot of options but they chose to kick the ball to the opposing player who then scores an 40 yard open goal,happens way to often,again it balances itself out but again horrible to watch.

I have a good save and a successful tactic(having embraced the TC) but the last 2 nights I have switched the game off,my wife,a long time FM widow asked last night,"you not playing again tonight?",to which I replied "nah will just watch some telly".

I am not bored of the game but just bored of watching so many errors.

Hopefully we will hear soon an estimate time for the patch release and the contents of it.

I know they are looking into OG's, but what about the ridiculous bug where your winger dribbles along the byline and shoots into the side netting. PLEASE tell me that's being looking into.
I've brought this up, hope it's been noticed by SI and sorted eventually.

ok,

So after many hours playing FM2013, here is my feedback about the ME. Take into account, however, that this is a feedback my someone that is still struggling to have a solid tactic. After all this weeks i still trying to find a solid way to buit my team, and a solid way to win those games that i would normally win.

Overall the new ME is a huge step forward, for several reasons, but the main one imo because it puts a much greater challenge for us. The main reason for this to happen i think is related with the way the opponent teams looks to counter your tactic.

In previous FM, you could build a nice tactic, let's call it a plug n' play tactic, select the players, go to the game and pretty much win everything. Why this happens? Well, i've seen wwfan and others saying that this happens because the tactic exploit some ME flaw... but i dont think this happens in all cases.

In all plug n' play tactics, you are ignoring the opponent team. You built the tactic only taking into account your players, neglecting the opponent strengths. In previous FM you weren't punished my this way to play... but in this FM you are... and big time.

More then ever, we must realise that there is a opponent with strenghts and weak points, and if we want to win the game we must exploit them. This makes the game harder. And this is the really breaktrough with this ME.

Apart from the above, this ME as flaws/bugs that happen in every ME release. The big ones from me are:

- Goalkeepers. Something went wrong with goalkeepers this year, because i've seen so many mistakes by them. I dont know if this is related with the new ball physics, but the truth is sometimes i get the feeling that the keepers just lost the notion where the ball is. For example:

-They are too slow to react after a ball hits the woodwork.

-They a too slow to react with close range shots.

- Defenders. The only thing i think need some tweaking is related with the way the defenders (in particulary the center defenders) react to a through ball placed in the defense back. They are too slow to turn around and that not natural in particulary for defenders with high agility.

In conclusion, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the best ME ever released by SI. Is it bugs free? No, but that never happens in the past anyway so i dont understand all the noise around this year release.

Is it harder? Yes it is... and because of that i can understand why so many people is protesting. Because, people want a challenge but they wont to win... and if they can't win... well they blame the game.

After all this weeks playing the game, i'm still struggling to find a way to play the game and win. And because of that i'm not enjoying the game so much. Sometimes it gets a little frustrating when you dont know what to do to win that derby game.

The games is evolving, the ME is evolving... the users (us) must evolve also.

1) Can't speak for this, although my top strikers are putting teh ball in the net quite well

2) Agreed, pretty sure this has been flagged.

3) Also agree, especially from wide areas.

4) Just about to upload a PKM on this, again another issue imo

5) Can't comment on this personally

6) Also agree.

I think its in a pretty good state, but you also feel it could be absolutely amazing after a few more balancings. Glad they went with the release rather than FM12's engine again.

Just in the first 45 min, i got four injured players and they are out minimum for 4 weeks.

I was 2-0 in front and beaten 3-2.

So tell me SI, when will you accept that you've failed? It is 4th of December and look at the things happening. Would it be better if i go back to FM12 for my health?

Sorry for asking again but I got no answer before..There are not any new information about the ME updates since November the 20th..Is 4th of December and still not a single update..And I am asking again..Shall we be able to play normally this game before Christmas or shall we wait for the new year or even FM2014?

I am afraid that there are so many bugs that is impossible to be addressed soon enough..

It would be really kind if someone form SI tell us where they are on testing and at which version of ME they are so we'll get at least a glimmer of hope that we will be able to play our beloved game soon...

So tell me SI, when will you accept that you've failed? It is 4th of December and look at the things happening. Would it be better if i go back to FM12 for my health?

I'm tired of this ****-goals.. and injuries !:mad:

[video=youtube;zYUuhZe_-e0]

Sorry for asking again but I got no answer before..There are not any new information about the ME updates since November the 20th..Is 4th of December and still not a single update..And I am asking again..Shall we be able to play normally this game before Christmas or shall we wait for the new year or even FM2014?

I am afraid that there are so many bugs that is impossible to be addressed soon enough..

It would be really kind if someone form SI tell us where they are on testing and at which version of ME they are so we'll get at least a glimmer of hope that we will be able to play our beloved game soon...

Info will be made available when they know, as it is every year. I'm sure when they have more info ready to go, they will let us know.

Havent read all of the posts, but saw something about the injuries being too much, which I agree... I do not mind the high number of injuries, but I have noticed few "injury outbreaks" during a match, where my players just keep getting injured. Think its fourth time it happened for me, where I ended up playing with 8-9 players due to match related injuries. Just knew it was another outbreak when my second player got injured. I played with cautious tackling and stand-off shout.

Dear SI, can you please look at this footage of the ME between my team (PSV) and Ajax, played on december 1th 2012. This must clearly prove that the ME is completely broken:

[video=youtube_share;0RBbESMb9q8]http://youtu.be/0RBbESMb9q8

My thought process during this match:

From 0.06 to 0.12:

Hmmzz another one of those through balls and yet again the midfielders and defenders are not pressing or tackling. But wait, let's see what Lens is doing...... wooooowwww what a goal by Lens. This is amazing, as always my strikers score the most amazing goals but can not seem to score a CCC. Ah well, 1-1. Yeah PSV!! :)

From 0.17-0.23

And another one..... look at that SI, clearly another example of a through ball being passed through that gaping hole between the two central defenders who just stand there as if they are discussing dinner plans for this evening.

But let's focus on Lens now...... run Lens, run like the wind, you can do it.... shoot it Lens shoot it. Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, what did I tell you... a CCC is always missed. No matter how good the striker, such CCC's are always missed in this ME. SI please fix it, give me the patch. I want it now!! I want my striker to act like one!

Shall we make a bet now, let's bet Ajax will now score against me a minute later. AI teams always do.

From 0.27 to 0.35 (and indeed a minute later in the match)

Ah you see there we go, Ajax is attacking. Wing back don't just stand there and track and trace Fisscher (Ajax's AML), do not let him get past you...DO something pleaseeee... and what is the DC doing, are you playing football or innocently standing by. Noooooo Ajax is in front again. I hate this game, i sincerely hate it. This ME can not get any worse :(

From 0.38 to 0.46 and yes the ME can get worse:

Ahh no00 what are my DC and my AML doing now?? Are you kidding me? My goodness jolly, are they ping pong heading the ball between each other and ending in a through ball towards my goal for Ajax?? This can not be happening, this is so unrealistic, noooo somebody stop Fisscher, please goalkeeper do no stand there, stop him, dive in front of him, make him laugh.....dance the jiggle. Nooooo 3-1 Ajax. *I tear out my hair"

I can not take this anymore... I need some fresh air, I can not think clearly.... need to smash something.... and then all blackness.

again: this post is not meant to offend anyone. Just trying to make people laugh around here and also trying to balance the negativity surrounding this ME. As you can all see in this footage as you will in so many matches, things that seem unrealistic and buggy actually do happen quite a lot in real life. Even between good teams like Ajax and PSV. I have seen the whole match and could easily have show more footage with just the weirdest decisions.

Cheers everyone and I hope you will chuckle.

As lighthearted and funny as you think this is, I think you're missing the point.

We can accept that mistakes happen in real football. Defending can be atrocious at times. The trouble is that when you have a defender passing to an opposition attacker for him to score, the game should put his ratings down and count that as an error. It doesn't, it doesn't recognise the mistakes the players are making and that means it is a bug. If the game says: "dreadful error by x to gift y the ball for the goal" we can accept that. What isn't acceptable is when the coding is wrong, which causes mistakes in the game that are not recognised as mistakes.

I posted a video of a cup final earlier where my leftback expertly dispossessed El Shaarawy, but then ran into my own area and passed to the opposition attacker for him to score. The game didn't note this an an error, and the player had a high rating for the end of the half when I wanted to tear him a new one I couldn't, because in the game he hadn't made a mistake.

We're just asking that mistakes are recognised as mistakes in game so we can apply the appropriate team talks etc. And every 'bug' in the game will have an equal real life scenario to back it up as being realistic. But one real life scenario doesn't make an every game occurrence realistic.

What is your d-line set as? Further, what are your defender mentalities and CD settings? Further still, what are your MC mentality settings? And your FCs for that matter?

Please let me know, as I suspect your defenders are doing exactly what you are asking them to do. I think this is going to be a perfect example of user tactical settings producing horrible football, with nary a bug in sight.

I have scored quite a few similar goals in my Swansea save, when my regen winger with tons of pace and amazing dribbling abilities decide to run with the ball in the center of the pitch. And I have also conceded goals against similar world-class dribblers (e.g., Neymar).

In general, it just seems like dribbling through the middle is something that defenders are really bad at handling, but that this effect is mitigated by the tendency of players to avoid actually run with the ball in central positions, so it mainly happens with wingers who pick up the ball in a wide position, and cut inside with it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any of the following:

1) Stoppers. In my experience setting a CB to stopper tends to be a disaster since they'll run out overly aggressively to close down the ball, and an attacker will invariably run onto a through ball via the hole he leaves open.

2) 3-defender formations. I experimented with this for about a quarter of a season and had to give it up because I was allowing around 2 goals per game as Man Utd, although my formation may have been too front loaded to work. Anyone had luck with a standard 3-4-3?

3) Any formation with 5 attacking players (2 strikers and 3 attacking midfielders/wingers).

Archived