Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

I agree totally.

I have played FM/CM since the mid 1990s on the Amiga and this is the worst version that I have ever seen.

I buy superior players, have tried all sorts of tactical variations but it all still ends up the same. Difficult to score goals, to easy to conceded, demotivated players and my team down near the relegation zone. On previous versions I have won the Champions League with Huddersfield! I'm afraid to say that I am falling out of love with FM as a result of this version and fear that a game that I have loved for years may be gone forever...

I'm clinging onto the hope that a new patch may come out but it won't get played too much in the meantime. FM 12 was far superior in my eyes....

Sorry but I missed your point.

FM12 was superior to FM13 because you were able to win the Champions League playing Huddersfield?

In my opinion this proves how superior is FM13 compared to FM12 instead...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Point I was making is, I'm not feeling tactically inadequate or stupid. The match engine is just ****.

I hate it when people assume I didn't read their post in full before I replied and then determine that assumption invalidates everything I said.

It is possible to stumble upon a winning formula in FM13. However, if you have stumbled rather than employed coherent logic, then I'd expect the football to look inadequate. If, however, your approach is logical and coherent, I'd expect the football to look excellent, as many people are beginning to experience.

It's not just about winning or losing. It's about style of play.

Point I was making is, I'm not feeling tactically inadequate or stupid. The match engine is just ****.

You've totally missed what I was trying to say.

For many football manager vets and fans who believe they have a genuine grasp of real life football tactics, the help from wwfan and co shouldn't be seen as a defeat or an insult. The problems you're having with the match engine could be caused by how your instructions are interpreted by the game.

It may simply just be a case of rethinking how you translate your ideas through the Tactics Creator rather than your ideas being bad/tactically stupid.

So to both of the above. Within your games you don't see any of the awful blunders and blips in the match engine when you playing your matches?

One of the many faults that are reported and varified bugs?

I see bugs. I probably report more ME bugs than half this forum put together. However, I don't see bad, illogical football. Quite the opposite.

Bugs will and always have existed and I report them as a I see them. It's software, it's code, it happens.

The actual football that is possible with FM13 if you work your tactical ideas in a way the game is designed to understand them however is fantastic, and I have no problems whatsoever with that side of things - everything improved once I heeded wwfan's advice even though I wasn't a slider tweaker to begin with.

Even the realistic mistakes made by players (poor passes, loss of concentration etc.) make sense and add to the match engine for me.

Well the pair of you are truly enlightened.

I just see a pretty crap me, worse than the last.

Have you tried to do more than 'stumble on an effective tactic?' What does that mean exactly? I'd like to help, but I'd need to understand what you've been doing tactically to offer useful advice.

Have you tried to do more than 'stumble on an effective tactic?' What does that mean exactly? I'd like to help, but I'd need to understand what you've been doing tactically to offer useful advice.

thought youd read my post?

Am doing fine, dont need help. Just fed up with watching forwards run past the ball when dribbling at goal, defenders run away from the ball, players kicking the ball through the keeper, strikers turning defenders that are running with the ball but suddenly stop... its endless. Not just my team but opps too. Just a severely **** match to watch in general.

I can make a set of tactics that work well with the game based on its (severe) limitations. The instructions I give are translated on to the pitch.

I can't make the game represent a real life game of football though.

I can't make players score with headers, or free kicks, if the coding of the game doesn't allow it.

I can't make wingers beat the full back and actually run into space, if the coding of the game prevents that from happening.

I can't get a realistic number of shots on target if the game won't let me.

I can't stop my players giving the ball straight to the opposition from a throw in or goal kick if the game is made that way.

That IS bad illogical football, and is nothing to do with making a workable set of tactics.

thought youd read my post?

Am doing fine, dont need help. Just fed up with watching forwards run past the ball when dribbling at goal, defenders run away from the ball, players kicking the ball through the keeper, strikers turning defenders that are running with the ball but suddenly stop... its endless. Not just my team but opps too. Just a severely **** match to watch in general.

Fair enough. I won't bother you again.

Fair enough. I won't bother you again.

Just to say what Baldyloxxx is saying in calmer terms, the problem that I have and that I think most people share is that the behaviors taken by players are just unrealistic at times. Overall tactical setup isn't the issue, because no matter whether you're winning or losing games in whatever formation with whatever settings:

1) Watching your defenders not react to through balls

2) Watching your defenders not close down on wingers

3) Watching your strikers and other players pass the ball back when open for a shot

4) Watching your players throw balls in directly to opposition players

Is simply not fun. I don't want there to never be any "mistakes" in the game, I want mistakes that are actually mistakes. A player can throw in the ball directly to an opponent, leading to a chance and goal, and the game doesn't mention that anything out of the ordinary happened. When game-designed mistakes are made, the commentary generally points them out, and there's even a section in player stats that lists their "mistakes leading to goal". In contrast, in this match engine, defenders can freeze in place and allow strikers to run through them with no opposition, and still get player of the game awards. The game doesn't recognize that something is wrong there, and that is a bug and unrealistic. I would be fine with my team being outplayed, but when these issues come up every match it sucks all the fun out of the game, because it doesn't matter how good my team is or what strategy I use with them, they will make these basic coded mistakes that I can't fix or influence. It's like the players aren't even trying.

Well the pair of you are truly enlightened.

I just see a pretty crap me, worse than the last.

There's plenty of folks who have found the game to be much better to play and watch after giving wwfan's advice a try.

Tweaking until you stumble upon a tactic you reckon can win you every game isn't exactly going to give you realistic football is it? That's a gamey, trial and error solution for a match engine that needs planned out, logical tactics inputted in a way that it can interpret best. You wouldn't just throw some liquid in your car, no matter how potent it smelt, and then expect it to run well would you?

No one here is trying to act "truly enlightened" or think they're above so leave your defensiveness at the door before sitting down at your keyboard next time. There's no need for it. I wasn't happy with the ME either a few weeks ago but found answers to get it playing how I wanted it through the advice on these forums. Most people here just want to help!

Central defenders prioritize pressing than keeping defensive line, they should decide which one is better in given situation.

After the last patch, Lionel Messi is scoring one goal at a game. This is fine, but it is still below the expectation regarding current pace of his scoring.

But the position of attacking midfielder (IF or APM or APM) still intercept chances for forward and inside forward-attack (even with low mentality). This makes Cristiano Ronaldo can't score like reality.

In my opinion, this is caused by AM's preference of run from deep than run with dribble. I can't see Mesut Ozil dribbling.

you can't make a game winning tactic that just wins, it seems to work or not work depending on who you play, where you play them.

bit insane really, you find a tactic work on it, and watch as the ME flaws kick in (defenders not defending, players with 17-20 finishing missing sitters while the local builder scores a hat-trick :p)

oh and Full time whistle when a corner is about to be headed goalwards...

problem is Wide defenders track back when ordered to stay tight then fall into the box to form a back 4, allowing a cross.

there is also the strange defending on indirect free kicks, 2 defenders just stand randomly on the other side of the pitch (from L to R ;)) playing everyone onside. what are they doing there?

oh and this isn't helping tactics either

5675B47CE113901ACCDF398BC039F9A6CEF15E3B

why is my LMF swapping with a striker all the time?

One thing I've noticed with those unwilling to try out wwfan's methods, or angry at the new match engine's approach to simulating football is that they feel they being labelled tactically inadequate or stupid.Sometimes players with good tactical/football knowledge may just be stumbling with how to translate their ideas into the game.
As far as I can tell there are many ways to play the game, wwfan n myself don't take the same approach yet we enjoy incredible success. I don't seem to have a problem with non tackling fullbacks, its really only a function of how one is set up.

you can't make a game winning tactic that just wins, it seems to work or not work depending on who you play, where you play them.bit insane really, you find a tactic work on it, and watch as the ME flaws kick in (defenders not defending, players with 17-20 finishing missing sitters while the local builder scores a hat-trick :p)oh and Full time whistle when a corner is about to be headed goalwards...problem is Wide defenders track back when ordered to stay tight then fall into the box to form a back 4, allowing a cross.there is also the strange defending on indirect free kicks, 2 defenders just stand randomly on the other side of the pitch (from L to R ;)) playing everyone onside. what are they doing there?oh and this isn't helping tactics either5675B47CE113901ACCDF398BC039F9A6CEF15E3Bwhy is my LMF swapping with a striker all the time?
Oh boy and you expect to do well, one screenie from you and I can see an unmitigated disaster waiting to happen

[video=youtube;GWZznNN46Dc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWZznNN46Dc

Horrible defending or great attacking play?

What is your d-line set as? Further, what are your defender mentalities and CD settings? Further still, what are your MC mentality settings? And your FCs for that matter?

Please let me know, as I suspect your defenders are doing exactly what you are asking them to do. I think this is going to be a perfect example of user tactical settings producing horrible football, with nary a bug in sight.

I really don't like to complain as the FM series has been sensational for years, however, I must voice my discontent with this years edition. I can see FM13 has taken a different path and now requires a different approach to be successful - which I like. What I am unhappy with is SI's arrogance at bringing out a completely half finished, half arsed game. The Beta (I know is free) was poor. The released version was unbelievably bugged and the 3rd update still consists of copious amounts of flaws. This, to me, is incredible. It's like selling a computer knowing it has a virus, or selling a book when you know chapters 4 and 6 are missing. I shouldn't have to update this game once, let alone 4, 5 or 6 times before I am able to play it properly. I would rather SI have released FM13 almost as a copy of FM12 with a few minor enhancements, then spend another year perfecting the 14 edition so we may actually enjoy the 'finished' product. There is obviously talent in the SI team, but their priorities seem to be misplaced.

I really don't like to complain as the FM series has been sensational for years, however, I must voice my discontent with this years edition. I can see FM13 has taken a different path and now requires a different approach to be successful - which I like. What I am unhappy with is SI's arrogance at bringing out a completely half finished, half arsed game. The Beta (I know is free) was poor. The released version was unbelievably bugged and the 3rd update still consists of copious amounts of flaws. This, to me, is incredible. It's like selling a computer knowing it has a virus, or selling a book when you know chapters 4 and 6 are missing. I shouldn't have to update this game once, let alone 4, 5 or 6 times before I am able to play it properly. I would rather SI have released FM13 almost as a copy of FM12 with a few minor enhancements, then spend another year perfecting the 14 edition so we may actually enjoy the 'finished' product. There is obviously talent in the SI team, but their priorities seem to be misplaced.

Priorities center around making money, first and foremost. Yes, FM13 will no doubt become an excellent game, but I have a feeling it will take 2 or 3 more patches to get it up to scratch by which time the football season will be coming to a close. As it has already been said, the ME has been completely re-written and so therefore is starting from scratch. We have in our hands an excellent game but with a broken ME that is being defended to the hilt by a minority. There are other cosmetic issues as well such as the lack of transfer activity etc which I guess we all can deal with, but when we have a broken ME, it really does become frustrating to watch not only ours, but the AI players do ridiculous things time and time again.

Does the AI solely use the TC or do they use shouts as well?

Apparently they do use almost the full range of shouts. Terrible choice of standing off a player. Some bad defensive play there, but dont know whether its indecision between the CB and FB, neither wanting to commit. Or an actual bug. Given that I've seen the AI easily defend runs like that I would go for the former, but i'd still flag it to be sure.

De Gea got beat by a goal kick last night in my game, took a bounce and went right over his head, ala Paul Robinson / Ben Foster :D

It wasn't that funny until I scored in the 90th minute and won 2-1 against Norwich :D

1) Watching your defenders not react to through balls2) Watching your defenders not close down on wingers3) Watching your strikers and other players pass the ball back when open for a shot4) Watching your players throw balls in directly to opposition playersIs simply not fun. I don't want there to never be any "mistakes" in the game, I want mistakes that are actually mistakes.

Complete garbage to points 1 2 and 4. If you don't set your tactic up to shut down wingers then it won't happen. There are times when they do beat my fullbacks to cross, but that's usually down to a sudden turn of pace.

As frs as point 3 is concerned, yes I'd agree that there are times when I'd hope that my striker or a player who's one on one would just take on the keeper. Having said that its not 'common' enough for me. It happens once in a while but not all the time.My dcs drop behind each other when they go to challenge a player or a through ball. If yours aren't doing that then its your tactics.

Thing is welshace, it really should not be down to the consumer to highlight the glaring faults within the game. This game should of been tested thoroughly before it's release so it would not contain the high amount of flaws that it currently has. Now just to clarify something, I have uploaded several pkms and have gone into great depth about the faults I have experienced on the ME bugs forum. Although it has to be said, I only did this because I want to at least try to get some enjoyment out of a game that I paid good money for.

SI has made good profit from this game and it currently has so many disgruntled fans. I think it would be a fair comment to say that this game should not have been released in it's present form. Perhaps they should of recruited more testers, maybe they should of released the beta earlier, who knows.

It just feels like we're beta-testing a game that we have paid for.

bullseye.

Also, what's this ''dont touch the sliders'' suggestion. A new trend or something?

After playing again all weekend, I've noticed defenders getting Player of the Month every month, with really high ratings, anyone else finding this too?

I've seen a few people mention it. Worth bringing up in the bugs forum, at least.

Complete garbage to points 1 2 and 4. If you don't set your tactic up to shut down wingers then it won't happen. There are times when they do beat my fullbacks to cross, but that's usually down to a sudden turn of pace.

As frs as point 3 is concerned, yes I'd agree that there are times when I'd hope that my striker or a player who's one on one would just take on the keeper. Having said that its not 'common' enough for me. It happens once in a while but not all the time.My dcs drop behind each other when they go to challenge a player or a through ball. If yours aren't doing that then its your tactics.

You can't instruct your central defenders to react properly to through-balls, and you can't instruct your throw-in takers to throw the ball to their own team. As for the closing down of wingers, this works fine if you have two guys on the flank. If you have only one it is much worse, because when he is alone out there he will often want to back off if the opposition doubles on the flanks with the help of their full-backs. If you tell him to close down like hell he will often close down the full-back as well, who promptly plays the winger through on goal. You can of course play very wide and/or OI their winger to the max so that it is the midfielder who closes him down and he can back off a bit, but when this is considered as a whole tactical approach you realize that there are absolutely no advantages from playing with wing-backs in this ME, and a huge disadvantage playing without wingers or wide midfielders. You won't dominate the midfield just by having three or four players there, and even if you did it is through-balls from the flanks that are problematic, not through-balls from the centre.

5-3-2, 4-1-3-2. 4-2-3-1 narrow, 4-3-2-1 and 4-1-2-1-2. Popular and good tactics in real life (outside of England). Try to make these work in this ME, please :)

5-3-2, 4-1-3-2. 4-2-3-1 narrow, 4-3-2-1 and 4-1-2-1-2. Popular and good tactics in real life (outside of England). Try to make these work in this ME, please :)

Any formation in the game will work fine if a) you have the players which suit the formation, and b ) you make sure the player roles within said formation are logically thought out.

Of course, there's still no guarantee you'll win every week, but that's football.

Seems like defenders' ratings are not affected by their mistakes? It would explain their extremely high ratings all the time. My defender just gave away the ball twice which led to one on ones and his was 6.9. I'd expect no more than 5.

Could be. If you cold upload the pkm of that match in the bugs forum, SI could look into it.

Okay so told to come to feedback thread. Here is some:

This game has just ruined my season. Floating a long nicely with stoke in 7th. Then game after game getting injuries. Had 11 players and 2 subs to face united in league cup semi final, we lose naturally. In that match we get a suspension so now FA cup against Chelsea we have 1 sub, and we lose, naturally and pick up 2 injuries. So now 10 fit players. So three days till City game and in those three days a CM get injured so now 9 fit players and 9 injuries and 1 suspension. Bye bye anything this season!

ohh and when a scout says 31k-47.5k per week I dont expect the player to budge for nothing less than 60k

It is playable, and very much so.

A small percentage of people throwing hissy fits on the forums does not equal a broken game.

I always love that SI get criticised for patching the game. Some people are just unbelievable.

Akter I agree with you, it's the best ME and the best FM ever. Of course it has some bugs (the injury issue is one, the 'stoppig defenders' another), maybe due to balancing between the countless factors. It could be improved, but work on the current basis, it's really really nice and muc more realistic than the previous ME

Okay so told to come to feedback thread. Here is some:

This game has just ruined my season. Floating a long nicely with stoke in 7th. Then game after game getting injuries. Had 11 players and 2 subs to face united in league cup semi final, we lose naturally. In that match we get a suspension so now FA cup against Chelsea we have 1 sub, and we lose, naturally and pick up 2 injuries. So now 10 fit players. So three days till City game and in those three days a CM get injured so now 9 fit players and 9 injuries and 1 suspension. Bye bye anything this season!

ohh and when a scout says 31k-47.5k per week I dont expect the player to budge for nothing less than 60k

My home team had 10 first team players out injured for saturday, it can happen.

My home team had 10 first team players out injured for saturday, it can happen.

Indeed, the issue shouldn't be that they are injured, but why. Injury crises happen, is that the case here or is there a case for some kind of bug? That should be the focus, but there is nothing to go on so far to make any real judgement.

Indeed, the issue shouldn't be that they are injured, but why. Injury crises happen, is that the case here or is there a case for some kind of bug? That should be the focus, but there is nothing to go on so far to make any real judgement.

From my game, which is obviously not going to be the exact same as everyone, i have not really noticed a problem at all, i have a few troublesome players who get injured quite often, but on the whole, good squad rotation ontop of taking off any player looking tired seems to be working for me. I have players set to pressing more and have not noticed an issue at all. Players get knocks every game, but they are not injuries as such, and a few players finish games with green crosses from time to time, again tho if noticed and acted upon quickly these rarely come to anything more than a knock for a game.

I don't think it was any kind of bug, unless you count Norwich being a bit rough a bug, just think was bad fixture congestion and rough teams. It just annoyed me that was all. I actually love the game but when your suddenly facing 9 injuries it feels like the world is against you.

I don't think it was any kind of bug, unless you count Norwich being a bit rough a bug, just think was bad fixture congestion and rough teams. It just annoyed me that was all. I actually love the game but when your suddenly facing 9 injuries it feels like the world is against you.

I do have a theory, though I need to play more games to expand on it. There are considerably more tackles in the game than there should be. I'm wondering whether, even though the injury algorithms haven't changed, the sheer number of tackles is resulting in more injuries, especially if a side has come out to get at you at every opportunity.

And I feel your pain, the Xmas schedule almost derailed me.

Well i was finishing a season with Millwall but i stopped 2 games from the end because injuries got crazy and unrealistic. Someone pointed out that it might interfere with an already started game when the patch was installed.

So i say to myself OK i'll restart, take Rangers so it will be a better challenge. Same thing happens with the injuries after january i'm averaging 1-2 per game !!! If not for an extensive squad i would be toast ! Luckily i'm playing in the last league in Scotland so young and not so good players can help. But this is absurd, every game 1-2 injuries, training is at average, i'm not forcing anybody too much so it doesn't make sense to me. This is the last league in Scotland people, almost every time a game per week, not such a demanding schedule, no pushing in training, players are always rested and over 95% on game day.

My under 19 team is not even playing in a league and half of the players are injured and they are on average training schedule !!! I have one player, Charlie Telfer who has since the start of the season injured 10 of his teammates in training. This is illogical !!!

I see that more and more people here report this problem so it's not a singular thing or a fluke. I even restarted the game and i'm playing in like a retirement home league with good coaches,good facilities and not so demanding training.

Archived