The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

Yes, but I believe Abramovitch is a patronym. Roman just don't use his family name - or at least, the media doesn't. His full name is probably Roman Abramovitch Somethingorother. I could be wrong, of course.

Edit: I was wrong. His full name is Roman Arkadyevich Abramovich. Silly me, and excuses to everyone.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay two easy ones that I keep hearing two different pronunciations which confuses me.

Kagawa (as in Shinji). Is it "K'gow-wa" or "Kag-a-wa"? The softer Kag-a-wa sounds wrong to me but maybe Sky has it right.

When you pronounce names at natural speed in Japanese you tend to drop certain vowel sounds. So Kagawa would be pronounced K'gah-wah. However there is nothing wrong with pronouncing it Kah-gah-wah - it just sounds more formal. In Japanese you sound more formal when you pronounced dropped sounds.

Basically K and G are both plosives and when you have two plosive sounds together you sorta mesh the words up. Similarly, the "Sh" in Shinji also becomes a sorta 'S' sound in spoken Japanese and can often sound like "Sin-jee." This is because you have "Sh" and "J" sound together, which are called fricatives.

When you pronounce names at natural speed in Japanese you tend to drop certain vowel sounds. So Kagawa would be pronounced K'gah-wah. However there is nothing wrong with pronouncing it Kah-gah-wah - it just sounds more formal. In Japanese you sound more formal when you pronounced dropped sounds.

Basically K and G are both plosives and when you have two plosive sounds together you sorta mesh the words up. Similarly, the "Sh" in Shinji also becomes a sorta 'S' sound in spoken Japanese and can often sound like "Sin-jee." This is because you have "Sh" and "J" sound together, which are called fricatives.

Now that makes a lot of sense. Cheers this that :thup:

I try to not have any stress anywhere at all when pronouncing Japanese names. But I know that this can be difficult and strange to English speaking people. So I believe stressing the first vowel is better than putting it anywhere else. Am I wrong?

There is no stress in Japanese essentially. You can denote some difference of meaning between homonyms by putting a rising or falling tone between the moras (Fyi: we don't have vowels in Japanese.)

But yeah, I know what you mean. More often than not, if you wanted to try and anglicise any Japanese words, you would tend to put the stress on the first vowel sound. Because I think this where it is placed on most loan-words in English. (I might be wrong.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, now I'm pretty solid in terms of French names, but haven't come across this one before. Just signed a French-Algerian by the name of Lyes Merahi. The surname is easy enough, but what would you suggest I do with "Lyes"? I can't think of another name that it may be linked with, so I'm stuck a bit in terms of pronouncing it.

Lee-ezz?

Lee-ay?

Lies?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rune [ˈʁuːnə] - pronounced http://static.ordnet.dk/mp3/11043/11043888_1.mp3

Sæta - Not a typical Danish name. Google give me hits on Icelandic sites, which seems probable.

I can't find it pronounced in Icelandic, but in Denmark would we probably pronounce it something like this.

'Sæ' would sound something along the first syllable in 'security' and 'ta' would sound like the first syllable in 'taboo' - but with a little longer vowel.

Hope it makes sense.

That's a very useful explanation, thanks. :) Checking the player, he's got Norwegian as a second nationality, which could account for the uncommon surname?

That is most likely the explanation. Bear in mind that German and Nordic names are mixed into each other and often only differ through the pronounciation and a slightly different spelling form, so there's probably 5 or 6 ways to pronounce Rune Sæta depending on where he is. :)

These ones will seem pretty easy in comparison to some of those in this thread!

FRA Mounier

NOR Wolff Eikrem

GER Rainer Meier

URU Jose Luis Quiroga

Moo-nee-yay or is is M(ow)-Nyer?

Wolff Ee-krem or Ek-rim?

Mai-yer or M(eye)-er?

Ho-zay Loo-eez Ki-row-ga? Or Kwi-rogga?

The Ei- in Eikrem pronounced like the english a in "lady". The -krem part is pronounced like the french "creme" ... as in creme anglais (custard) :) But with a more rolling R. And the Wolff is better pronounced like a german would pronounce wolf, not like the english wolf. Think of the sound the oa would make in a english word like "board". But shorter.

Got a Finnish/Slovak keeper by the name of Lukáš Hrádecký.
Loo-ka-sh Hra-des-kee

c is s in Slovak, except in ch when it is pronounced k :)

Actually it's "ts" as in "bats", not just a "s". Same as in Czech and a bunch of other languages. Hrah-dets-kee. The accent over the a in Hrádecký (or Lukáš) makes it sound "longer", like when a doctor asks you to say ahhh.

There is no stress in Japanese essentially. You can denote some difference of meaning between homonyms by putting a rising or falling tone between the moras (Fyi: we don't have vowels in Japanese.)

But yeah, I know what you mean. More often than not, if you wanted to try and anglicise any Japanese words, you would tend to put the stress on the first vowel sound. Because I think this where it is placed on most loan-words in English. (I might be wrong.)

FYI, you do.

GER Rainer Meier

Both the "ai" and the "ei" are pronounced like "eye" (ai also gets this sound in transliterations from many Asian names, e.g. Shanghai, Dubai; "Nein" (no) is pronounce like "nine")

So it's roughly Rr(eye)nairr M(eye)airr - the "er" at the end of each name is not a schwa-like "uh" like in English (burger) but actually treated as a proper 'e' and 'r' sound, more similar to "air" or "berry". German Rs get rolled unlike the weak English R, so I've put in two Rs for emphasis... Don't overdo it, but make sure you avoid the English "wr" sound that it the typical English R.

Archived