Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If true, sounds like a good move :thup: Marin has had a good season, after not being great last season but yeah, finally we'll have a proper winger (Lukaku will also benefit from the loan move)

Not really a winger in the typical sense, I like him though and think he'll do well for you.

First up, Happy B-Day Kpain! Like has been said as well, really surprised but also impressed with the signing of Marin. Sensible transfer from us for once, instead of spending a massive amount on a name that may or may not perform.

Read this earlier an all, what a suprise and completely out of the blue (no pun intended).

It will be interesting to see how he does in the EPL, especially as he continues the influx of Germans in the EPL for next season!

On Espn Soccernet it says he struggled for fitness this season... Is he injury prone? And how good is he? Worth the 7m? Though its not much at all considering us..

I can't answer well as I don't really know but wiki shows he has still managed 17 league games this season and over 30+ in the 3-4 seasons before that so hopefully he isn't that injury prone. Excited by this signing and delighted that we aren't just chucking loads of money at someone. Will be great to see what he can do in a Chelsea shirt.

Cheers everyone.

Pleased with Marin signing. Reasonable price. From what I've seen he is rather crap playing in the centre, struggles to make right decisions there. On the left wing he looked far more dangerous cutting inside with his mazey runs.

Hmm, can't see Lukaku starting regularly at WB, hopefully will be proven wrong.

Marin sounds good.

Pizarro is all but out of there so he's probably replacement, they've got Rosenberg and Arnautovic as well but they're not TS

From what I've seen he is rather crap playing in the centre, struggles to make right decisions there. On the left wing he looked far more dangerous cutting inside with his mazey runs.

Exactly. Werder Bremen played him as playmaker and as a result he struggled.

Marin provides good dribbling, good technique and a nice acceleration but he really is a sissy. Not sure if he fits to English football.

Pizarro is all but out of there so he's probably replacement, they've got Rosenberg and Arnautovic as well but they're not TS

Plus Arnautovic is a complete nutcase, so may spend half of the season suspended ;) should be a good move for Lukaku.

And yeah Razzler we do have de Bruyne but he may well go on loan again, and if we do keep him I'm not sure where he'd play.

Damn, I love our transfer policy the last 2 years. Torres has really been the only one that has gone against the well priced, young player, loads of potential MO and we all know that was a Roman signing. Whoever is doing the transfers lately has been very good.

Whilst I do agree with you in liking our general policy over the last few years, you can't really say Torres is the ONLY exception to that description. Whilst Ramires and Luiz look quality, neither were exactly cheap, it's far too early to say if Lukaku is worth anywhere near what we paid for him, Meireles isn't an unmitigated success and let's not forget we were throwing silly money in Tottenham's direction trying to sign Modric last year who could well have been another Torres had he signed.

Probably my favourite year's business still to this day;

Season 95/96

Frank Leboeuf £2,500,000

Roberto Di Matteo £4,900,000

Gianluca Vialli Free

Dan Petrescu £2,300,000

Merieles was quite cheap iirc? And although I and others think he's crap he's done enough to pay that off and hasn't been a waste of money. Lukaku is a very good signing and a clear look at how we are operating now (young, loads of potential - see de bruyne, courtois, marin). Ramires and Luiz are probably worth more now than they were when they signed, they are also here for a long time hopefully so two very good signings again. Modric would have been great, still could be great if we get him in the Summer. Including De Bruyne, Cortois and Marin, those are some excellent and wise transfers. If only we didn't waste £50m :( I do wonder who we'll be signing in the Summer now, I think obvious targets like Hazard and Modric might be out and we go for a more surprising couple of transfers. Our future squad is looking very exciting to me, we are transitioning really well.

Just need to swap Torres for Higuain now, and sign another more dynamic midfielder, and it's all good.
But all you're doing there is leaving yourself with 1 striker - because, let's face it, Drogba's probably off to China and now that Lukaku is off on loan it leaves Sturridge as No.2 striker.

We still need - 1 CM (M'Vila, Martinez, Hernanes even), 1 back up RB (someone that we could get for around the same we've spent on Marin, or less, because the names that've been thrown around - ie. Azpilicueta and VdW - will cost a fair bit and, imo, are way too good to be backup RBs), 1 backup ST (again, a sensible fee ~10m) and I wouldn't mind not giving up on Hazard tbh (assuming that signing Marin indicates that Hazard is deemed unrealistic or whatever). Nearly forgot, getting in a keeper would be a good idea (or giving Courtois out on loan with the option to recall)

Now that we have Marin and De Bruyne (De Bruyne has been tearing it up in Belgium, albeit in the central role) then I'd say we are not going to be in for Hazard (can move Mata left and play De Bruyne in the middle and vice versa if Marin isn't playing) and would be much better off signing a really good right winger.

Really glad we have finally signed a left winger, and as I said before very happy with the current trend of players we are signing, just hope we now sign a right winger. That is the absolute main priority as far as I am concerned, even more than a striker. Just seems a glaring hole in our squad currently.

I don't think KDB will start next season - bar CC games, the odd CL group game and some FA Cup ties - as I think the intent will be to play him centrally and hence be backup to Mata (and Marin, as he can play on the left aswell as playing centrally) so if Mata or Marin need a rest KDB will be slot in. If we buy a right winger, that leaves us with uncertainty where to play Ramires given we'll be looking for a CM. I'd also like Kakuta to get some minutes next season as he's doing well in Dijon.

Ideally we'll line up with something like - the brackets are the 2nd choice players in the position :

Cech

Ivanović Luiz Terry Cole

[insert CM] Mikel

Ramires[Kakuta] Mata[KDB] Marin[KDB/Kalou]

Torres[sturrdge]

If RDM stays as manager then I'd expect us to switch between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 depending on opposition/giving players a rest so Ramires will get plenty of games either way. We definitely do need a proper right winger though, more so than a CM. We have plenty of options for CM (Ramires, Romeu, Essien, Lampard, Meireles, Mikel) and hardly any for RW (Ramires, Sturridge), and neither of those two are "proper" RW's.

Whilst he's not a proper winger, he's been effective at times out wide (I'm pretty sure he played there at Benfica too). I guess he would play centrally as he'd have licence to move forward as Mikel is the defensive minded mid of the pair, but I'd like to see Ramires do some work on his defensive side of the game so that he can do a box-to-box role in the future (ideally by the start of next season)

Ideally we'll line up with something like - the brackets are the 2nd choice players in the position :

Cech

Ivanović Luiz Terry Cole

Ramires Mikel

[insert RW] Mata[KDB] Marin[KDB/Kalou]

Torres[sturrdge]

Corrected it ;)

good signing looks to be the end of malouda def but im not so sure a bout kalou i have a feeling if rdm gets the job kalou will get a new contract cos imo since di matteo brought him back in he has done a better job than ever before(although not too hard to do) he has been consistant lately but is it too little to late? like i said im unsure.

Also i heard a rumour that we are going to get hulk for £35m im not sure if i like that tho not seen him enough

Huh. If Marin was Di Matteo, maybe I do trust him to make transfers after all...

According to what Rolfe RTed,

Chelsea formed a Football Board in 07. There are no manager signings, only club signings board approve.

Archived